The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Ya_Big_Tree

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 14 2008, 12:31 PM)
Does anyone know if Heath Ledger will be in this movie, and if so how much? He was working on this movie when he died.

Sorry if that info is in the link that I didn't read... unsure.gif

Heath Ledger's segments I believe are still included. The cast is huge with many famous names. I have been waiting for a year for this dam thing to come out biggrin.gif From the time of Brazil in 1985 Gilliam has never ceased to freak me out with his flicks! He is soo very amazing yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 14 2008, 10:42 AM)
Does anyone know if Heath Ledger will be in this movie, and if so how much?  He was working on this movie when he died. 

Sorry if that info is in the link that I didn't read...  unsure.gif

Heath Ledger's segments I believe are still included. The cast is huge with many famous names. I have been waiting for a year for this dam thing to come out biggrin.gif From the time of Brazil in 1985 Gilliam has never ceased to freak me out with his flicks! He is soo very amazing yes.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

I really haven't loved any Gilliam movie SINCE Brazil.

Baron Munchausen was fun, if unmemorable, The Fisher King I thought was highly overrated, Twelve Monkeys I liked ok when I saw it, but have never desired to see it again, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas was FAR better as a book than a movie, and I never saw The Brothers Grimm or Tideland. Doubtlessy an original and visually fascinating director, but to me Brazil was the last truly classic movie of his I've seen.

I'll see this one if it gets very, very positive reviews... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 14 2008, 12:48 PM)
Does anyone know if Heath Ledger will be in this movie, and if so how much?  He was working on this movie when he died. 

Baron Munchausen was fun, if unmemorable, The Fisher King I thought was highly overrated, Twelve Monkeys I liked ok when I saw it, but have never desired to see it again, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas was FAR better as a book than a movie, and I never saw The Brothers Grimm or Tideland. Doubtlessy an original and visually fascinating director, but to me Brazil was the last truly classic movie of his I've seen.

I say screw the reviews! I never pay any attention. I have seen movies that I thought were awesome that got the WORST reviews. With Gilliam I goto view a movie of his for the first time with no expectations and an open mind and I am never let down smile.gif

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 14 2008, 12:52 PM)
I'm excited. I've loved all of his movies so far. Tideland was freaking depressing though, this one looks more fun.

Ahhhhhh Stormy? I am in love with your sig wub.gif I saw where he was coming from with Tideland as I have lived both sides of life portrayed in the movie. As depressing as it is though Gilliam was not ignoring or masking the true nature of sevear addiction or a lost, imaginative child who has been misdirected into her life. That is all truth.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Sep 14 2008, 01:12 PM)

I say screw the reviews! I never pay any attention. I have seen movies that I thought were awesome that got the WORST reviews. With Gilliam I goto view a movie of his for the first time with no expectations and an open mind and I am never let down smile.gif

goodpost.gif Eff the self-important critics and their reviews. I like what I like, and I don't need someone to tell me what my tastes ought to be.

I agree April! Im constantly surprised by Gilliams work. I think he is one of the few directors that can pull a dream out of your head and put it on film. Its a very difficult thing for a director to do that and still make it believable.

QUOTE (Marathonist @ Sep 14 2008, 11:20 AM)

goodpost.gif Eff the self-important critics and their reviews. I like what I like, and I don't need someone to tell me what my tastes ought to be.

That's just the thing though - regardless of reviews, I haven't seen a Terry Gilliam movie I thought was truly brilliant since 1985. Some decent ones, yes, but, that's primarily why I've lost enthusiasm for his movies. It would take a movie that was very highly reviewed and got great word of mouth to get me back into a theater to see a Gilliam movie.

I don't ALWAYS go by reviews, and I certainly don't always agree with reviews, but if a movie has a very high rating on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm much more likely to enjoy it than if it gets very low ratings. Sometimes I do disagree for sure, but consensus opinion really does have some merit IMHO, at least in terms of movies...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 14 2008, 01:48 PM)
I never saw The Brothers Grimm or Tideland.

You made a wise choice in skipping those two. I wish I could say I hadn't seen them! yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Sep 14 2008, 10:31 AM)
Does anyone know if Heath Ledger will be in this movie, and if so how much? He was working on this movie when he died.

Sorry if that info is in the link that I didn't read... unsure.gif

I know that three actors will be playing Heath's part. I don't remember all 3 but Johnny Depp is one of them wub.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 15 2008, 08:12 AM)
Yeah, Gilliam has been running on his reputation alone for the last few decades. There have been flashes of brilliance, but overall his later films really seem like ego trips to me.

I just find it really unfortunate that lately every single one of his movies have had such trouble getting off the ground. Heath Ledger passed away while they were filming and there had been financial problems with Tideland and issues with Don Qioute (sp) I just hope he has some luck soon.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Sep 15 2008, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 15 2008, 08:12 AM)
Yeah, Gilliam has been running on his reputation alone for the last few decades.  There have been flashes of brilliance, but overall his later films really seem like ego trips to me.

I just find it really unfortunate that lately every single one of his movies have had such trouble getting off the ground. Heath Ledger passed away while they were filming and there had been financial problems with Tideland and issues with Don Qioute (sp) I just hope he has some luck soon.

I love Terry Gilliam as a director. He's a hardass with producers and studios. In a way, he's his own worst enemy. Anyway, I'm confident he'll direct another masterpiece in the future.