the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 6 2010, 06:23 AM)
I don't know why I haven't listened to Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins in so long. It's a great album. And, the story behind it is incredible. Billy Corgan had suffered a nervous breakdown right before its recording. He ended up laying down most of the guitar and bass tracks because James Iha and D'arcy Wretzky were fighting so much. The drummer, Jimmy Chamberlin, was totally strung out on heroin. Corgan had him re-do the drums for "Cherub Rock" so many times that his hands bled. Corgan sat with him for days in the studio, basically telling him, "We aren't going anywhere until you do this right." The release of it was put off several times and by several months because the band refused to compromise the quality for staying on budget.

It's an amazing album.  yes.gif

Absolute perfection, fukking right on yes.gif trink39.gif

So tomorrow two artists are going to eclipse 1,000 plays in last.fm: blink-182 (they are going to pass it) and Muse (if I listen to Absolution, they'll hit 1,000). I'm surprised how many plays both bands have gotten, considering I've only been listening to Muse for about 4-5 months and blink-182 for just under 3 months.

All I have to say about Nikki Yanofsky is:

Who the hell is this girl?

And why the hell should I buy her music?

I work hard for my money. I try not to waste it.

There are too many pop tarts coming out of this country

--a lot more than we need.

She should do something useful

like become a nurse or a teacher.

There's never enough of those.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 3 2010, 04:00 PM)
I was looking at In Absentia by Porcupine Tree in the iTunes Store, and both the official review and several listeners' reviews got me interested in possibly buying this record. You all know that I bought The Incident the day it came out, and eventually listened to it a few weeks later, and wasn't too impressed (in fact, kind of bummed that it wasn't that "good"). Even though it didn't impress me that much, I feel like I should give it another listen and see if I'll like it more this time than last time. If it doesn't do anything (or even if it does), is In Absentia a good record to get next? I'm not necessarily looking for their "best" because I'll get different responses, but one that's a little more listener-friendly.

Tim, get either In Absentia or Stupid Dream. I think you'll love those.

Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and Fear of a Blank Planet are also very good.

I'm trying to muddle my way through The Sky Moves Sideways. I haven't listened to it in a long time, so I'm giving it another chance.

Ug. WTF? schla03.gif

It hasn't changed one bit. Blah! Still uber boring. laugh.gif

I'm finishing up Going for the One, which I haven't listened to in about two months. I still say that "Awaken" is one of the greatest pieces of music that I have ever heard.

Listened to LOVE by Angels & Airwaves (Tom DeLonge of blink-182's side project). This record is amazing - very different from blink's stuff, both older and newer. For those four or so of you who willingly listen to new music, listen to it ASAP if you haven't already. I think it'll end up making my top ten records of the year.

edited for clarification

Edited by Xanadu93

I think I just realized what an amazing song "The Spirit of Radio" is. Not my favorite Rush song, but it's definitely just moved up there.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 20 2010, 07:23 PM)
I think I just realized what an amazing song "The Spirit of Radio" is. Not my favorite Rush song, but it's definitely just moved up there.

It's almost as good as "Spirit Radio" which is a Rush tune that a band from my school played tonight.. gotta say, the two are very similar.

Just listened to Coheed and Cambria's new album, Year of the Black Rainbow, and... sorry C&C fans, but I didn't like it. Claudio's vocals got irritating at times (yes, I know, ironic coming from a Rush fan) and the music got stale after a while. I got this feeling of "how much longer until the end?", but I promised that I'd give it a fair, unbiased listen.

Fortunately, the same thing happened when I listened to Motion City Soundtrack's My Dinosaur Life, and now it's one of my favorites of 2010 so far, so there's hope.

I know you guys remember the Free Credit Report band. Well, their company has been replaced by Free Credit Score, and they just ran an advertisement about how they want people to choose a new band. What's wrong with this company? FCRB saved lives with their music and lyrics. They can't be replaced as if they were an old, battered t-shirt. This blasphemy cannot be allowed. angry.gif

rantoff.gif

In the past two days, I have barely listened to any music. Yesterday, though, I listened to Yes' debut and Vapor Trails. Today, I've listened to Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes, and I'm listening to Caress of Steel now. That's all that I've listened to the past two days, except for a few blink-182 songs yesterday and today on YouTube. Anyways, I don't think I've had a Rush/Yes exclusive thing for maybe two years now, and to be honest I'm kind of digging it. smile.gif

Lately i find myself listening to less and less music in my truck, I seem to prefer sports talk radio.

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes Edited by g under p

"The Hazards of Love 4 (The Drowned)" by The Decemberists is still my favorite song of 2009, but I think it has become one of my favorite songs of all-time. Sad but beautiful, it's the perfect ending to The Hazards of Love.

OK Strangest Thing: Yestersday I was listening to Iron Maiden's *Number Of The Beast* stopped at a light. I happened looked down at my daily milage odemeter and it said 666, not that it was exactly 6/10 of a mile TOO! I was like if I played those dailey lottery numbers it would have to be a WINNER. biggrin.gif

Three songs that should be sampled in song a la beasties or eminem:

the first few seconds of Who are you? The Who

the beginning of Since your gone The Cars

yeah...

Edited by librarian

5000th song added to my iTunes library: Dr. Dre - The Message (feat. Mary J. Blige) smile.gif

Because I've got a few more minutes before I feel like going to bed, I'm going to rate the few 2010 records I've heard. (I'm still ahead of last year's amount of new music, which is good.) I haven't listened to any album more than three times except for one, so this should change a lot once I listen to them more.

Angels & Airwaves - LOVE (9/10) - One listen

This is an amazing record. Very space-ish, epic sounding with a good rock edge to it. You'd never imagine that this album is the side project of blink-182 singer-guitarist Tom DeLonge. It sounds NOTHING like blink-182, which is great - and I like blink. It will definitely get some more listens, which I think will only make it better.

Beach House - Teen Dream (8.5/10) - One listen

I've only listened to this one once, and it was pretty interesting. I don't remember much of it, but it made me say "well, it wasn't the greatest record I've ever heard but it definitely is worth a few more listens". There are more pros than cons to this record.

Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow (7.5/10) - One listen

Maybe this is one of those grower records, and maybe it's just a record that I'm not gonna like. When MTV did their musical March Madness, the championship round pitted my favorite new band, My Chemical Romance, against these guys. I told myself that if C&C defeated MyChem, then I would buy their new record. Well, they did, so I bought it. It took me like a month to hear it, and I was excited about what it would sound like since I've never heard any C&C. I already apologized twice for not liking it, so that's out of the way. I can't get through Claudio's vocals - and yes, ironic coming from a Rush fan, I know - but I just can't. The music got boring at certain points, and at times I would check to see how much more music I had to listen to. I'll give it another listen, but for now it's my least-favorite 2010 album.

The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards (9/10) - One listen

I thought AXA's LOVE impressed me after one listen, but this record was amazing! Couldn't believe how awesome it was - and then it got weird at the end, but the awesome-weird, where it makes it even better. This is one of my early candidates as a top three record of the year, the other two spots reserved for MyChem's new record (well, hopefully unsure.gif ) and another record that may also destroy my mind.

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (9/10) - Two listens

I had heard of the Gorillaz going back to like 7th grade, but I always thought they were a rap group, and at the time I pretty much hated rap so I had no interest in them at all. I read about this record thanks to PuppetKing2112, and was pleasantly surprised by how awesome it is. Cameos from Lou Reed, Snoop Dogg and Bobby Womack definitely enhance this record. Definitely needs some more listens to fully sink in, though.

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life (9/10) - Seven listens

Obviously, this record was very interesting. Pop-punkish with a twist, which was something I had been looking forward to after the disintegration of Fall Out Boy. At first, I found it very generic and uninteresting, but it's slowly crept into my heart and now it's one of my favorites of the year. I'm hoping that the same thing happens to Coheed.

The National - High Violet (8.5/10) - One listen

I just listened to this for the first time like two hours ago, and it's very impressive. It seems like an incredible chill record, but it's also interesting, and tells me to listen to it a few more times. I will.

Vampire Weekend - Contra (9/10) - Three listens

After the first two listens, it seemed pretty cool, not great but certainly not bad. The most recent listen basically said "now, listen to me CLOSELY!", which I'll have to do from now on.

QUOTE (librarian @ May 27 2010, 06:58 AM)
Three songs that should be sampled in song a la beasties or eminem:

the first few seconds of  Who are you? The Who
the beginning of Since your gone  The Cars

yeah...

Fersher. 'Since You're Gone' has a stonking intro...massive sample potential yes.gif That solo is perfection as well atickhum.gif

RIP Ben Orr rose.gif