Guitar processing

Cowtothesky

I know there are a lot of really great guitar players on this forum, so I couldn't think of a better place to ask this question. I currently own a Digitech 2120 artist which I have really enjoyed. I record guitar direct to a digital mixer in stereo from the 2120. I am looking for something to beef up my sound and want to stick with a rack mount processor with a foot pedal control. I haven't completely ruled out getting a combo amp, but I would want one with the capabilities of recording direct and like the idea of an 'all-in-one' processor.

So far, I have been looking at TC Electronics G-Major, Rocktron Profesy II, Digitech GSP1101, and various Pods. I have also considered getting a combo Mesa, Bad Cat, or Vox. But, I will probably end up going with a vintage Vox Superbeatle for live - used with the rack effects.

So, do any of you guys use 'all in one' rack processing? I don't care for the processors that you have to get down on the floor to change settings, I like it nice and compact in a rack with a footswitch. Also, maybe there is a way to just add a simple preamp and keep my Digitech 2120? I am just not sure what to get if I go this route. - Perhaps a Mesa Boogie Rectifier recording preamp? This looks awesome actually. Anyone tried it?

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks in advance for any input you could give.

I do it the old fashioned way. I have a tube amp (a Marshall combo) and that's where all my tone and distortion comes from. In the amp's effects loop are a few rack effects, the main one being the G-Major. I like it because it's quiet, transparent (doesn't mess with your tone), versatile, and the effects are quality. When recording, again, old fashioned -- I stick a mic in front of the speaker.

I have a MIDI controller (Ground Control Pro) that has an input for a pedal if I should ever want to add one.

I'm partial to tube amps, but the H&K zenTera digital modeling amp (Pete uses it) sounds killer, too. I believe Pete also uses the G-Major.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 18 2008, 11:36 AM)
I do it the old fashioned way. I have a tube amp (a Marshall combo) and that's where all my tone and distortion comes from. In the amp's effects loop are a few rack effects, the main one being the G-Major. I like it because it's quiet, transparent (doesn't mess with your tone), versatile, and the effects are quality. When recording, again, old fashioned -- I stick a mic in front of the speaker.

I have a MIDI controller (Ground Control Pro) that has an input for a pedal if I should ever want to add one.

I'm partial to tube amps, but the H&K zenTera digital modeling amp (Pete uses it) sounds killer, too. I believe Pete also uses the G-Major.

Yea, I have considered doing it that way, but don't have the money to do it right. Also, I have a problem with getting loud and waking my kids up (I sometimes find myself recording at 2:00AM).

I really like many of the effects on the 2120 and think I just need a good preamp to add presence. But, since I have written the above, I started looking at the ENGL E530 and the Roctron Piranha. The samples I have heard of the ENGL are amazing. I really like the metal crunch sounds this thing is putting out.

Heres what i have running.. I use the 2101 for the quad detune patch, which i think is totally killer. The 2101 has nothing to do with my "overdrive or clean tones" except for the detune feature, everyting is running through the loop, i also have a boss GE-7 through the loop for some added mid's and top end. If your looking for the best all in one processor, and keep the 2101, i would go with the Line6 X3 Processor. Its got everything for Bass, Acoustic guitar, electric guitar. heres a couple pictures of my rig, just for some ideas..

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/DefRushFan/100_0907.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/DefRushFan/100_0906.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/DefRushFan/100_0908.jpg

Cool setup man. Thanks.

Yea, I looked at the Line 6 X3 pro. I will see if I can try one out in the local music store. The ENGL E530 sells for $599, but I seriously doubt any stores around me would have one to try out.

The guy I play with uses mesa rack mounted amps and TC effects controlled by a Lexicon footswitcher.

Mesa Boogie TriAxis PreAmp

Mesa Boogie 20/20 Dyna Watt stereo power amp

TC-Electronic G-Two effects processor

TC-Electronic G-Major effects processor

Rocktron Velocity 120 power amp

4 x 12" speaker cabinet

2 x Mesa Boogie 1 x 12" speaker cabinets

Fulltone Wah pedal

Volume Pedal

Lexicon MPX R1 foot controller

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Aug 18 2008, 01:02 PM)
The guy I play with uses mesa rack mounted amps and TC effects controlled by a Lexicon footswitcher.

Mesa Boogie TriAxis PreAmp
Mesa Boogie 20/20 Dyna Watt stereo power amp
TC-Electronic G-Two effects processor
TC-Electronic G-Major effects processor
Rocktron Velocity 120 power amp
4 x 12" speaker cabinet
2 x Mesa Boogie 1 x 12" speaker cabinets
Fulltone Wah pedal
Volume Pedal
Lexicon MPX R1 foot controller

That is a damn nice rig. Perhaps if I didn't have to buy synthesizers and recording equipment, I could afford that! wink.gif

I'm looking at the new Pod X3 live or pro. I just wish the pro included a foot pedal. Also, still seriously considering the ENGL E530. I would love to get something like the triaxis with the tc electronics, but that is out of my price range. Has anyone here tried an ENGL amp or preamp?

Overall, I have been pleased with my Boss GT-Pro. The COSM amp models vary, but I have been able coax some pretty good sound out most of the standards. It is highly configurable and you can build patches easily using the software included and upload them to the unit. Delay, Chorus, Compression, Phase, Flange, etc, are all very good. Fair warning: the overdrive/distortion is not. If you Overdrive on a pedal or, better yet, on a tube preamp, great. This could be the box for you. If distortion is a big part of your sound and you are relying on this solution, best to look elsewhere.

Since I no longer gig, my primary use is for home recording. I am very pleased with it for this purpose.

I've been using the line 6 ux2 for recording. I love it. Infinitely configurable and great tones. I played the x3live at the store and was seriously impressed but I wanted something cheaper. I don't think you could go wrong with the pro. You can get a foot pedal for it can't you?

I am not a fan of the POD stuff for live use. I like the new Line 6 M 13, but that is an inline effects modeler and not an amp modeler. Love the POD for recording though.

Line 6 M13

QUOTE (hunter @ Aug 18 2008, 05:09 PM)
I've been using the line 6 ux2 for recording. I love it. Infinitely configurable and great tones. I played the x3live at the store and was seriously impressed but I wanted something cheaper. I don't think you could go wrong with the pro. You can get a foot pedal for it can't you?

Yea, I can get a foot pedal for it, but it is an extra $269 - unless I go for the tiny one at $99. They are asking $100 more than the X3 live, plus you have to buy a pedal for basically the same thing. The price you pay for a rack mount unit I guess.

The more I hear the ENGL, the more I am liking it though. It is definitely not used much in the U.S. from what I have seen. I think Steve Morse uses an ENGL amp. But, the ENGL preamp distortion sounds are amazing. I just wish I could try it out or hear from someone that uses it. I know these tube preamps are picky on the pickups and guitars played through them. I may have to splurge for an EMG 81 pickup as well to really get the dirty sound I want. unsure.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 18 2008, 08:36 AM)
I do it the old fashioned way. I have a tube amp (a Marshall combo) and that's where all my tone and distortion comes from. When recording, again, old fashioned -- I stick a mic in front of the speaker.

Me too. I like the feel you can get from the relationship between the guitar and amp. I'm constantly adjusting my volume knob to get the tone I want out of my amp. I can get a wide variety of sounds from just the amp and guitar with the HSS Pick ups.

When the G-System first came out, people on the guitar message boards I frequent were raving about it. Check it out here.

Edited by rushfanNlv

Nothing beats the mic in front of the cabinet. But if you can't go that route then the Only processor I have ever heard sound good running directly into a recorder is the POD. (only for recording and not good live)

Dave, I think you should go with your gut and get the Mesa Boogie Triaxis Preamp... Then, add a TC Electronic G-Force to go along with it...

Come on bro, spend some money... tongue.gif

after all, anyone that owns a Digidesign C24 / Pro Tools recording setup can certainly afford a couple of thousand on a guitar rig! wink.gif laugh.gif

Great score, man - I'll be seeing you on Ebay! biggrin.gif

BTW, did you find anything worth mentioning at Morrison Brothers today???

Good seeing you again - Take care bro.

Edited by rushbass

I really appreciate everyones input. I have about a week before this purchase, so I am still considering many options. The Pod X3 Live (for studio use only) looks fantastic. I am also still considering the ENGL E530 tube preamp. I'd love a triaxis, but $2k is a bit over my budget.

Carlos - yea man. Great seeing you today. Morrison Brothers had absolutely nothing. However, I did try out a Mesa Lonestar, which was really a sweet amp. They didn't have a triaxis, but quoted me $1999 for one. I will keep looking for used Mesa amps while I ponder my options! I knew that Wilson played Bad Cat. Would like to try one of these babies out.

Edited by Cowtothesky

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 18 2008, 11:36 AM)

Thank you sir!

The zen sounds excellent running direct. I'm really happy with it. it has an S/PDIF out that I run to my computer.

I do use the G-Major. Mainly for flange, delays, harmonizing, and the noise gate.

I have been using a Boss GT-8 for over a year now. It's a very complicated piece of gear but you can get good sounds out of it Note, I said good, not great.

Generally an all tube amp sounds better. If you want versatility and the ability to sound almost like a Marshall, or a boogie, or a H&K etc then a modeler is the way to go.

A couple of things sold me on the GT-8. First, it does lightning fast patch changes. Other mfx units I looked at had a noticeable delay in changing patches. I'm told the G Major has that issue too but I've never even seen one, let alone played with one.

The other thing is the bossgtcentral forum. Lots of good info on how to make the GT8 and now the GT10 sound good. Patches too. A midi interface is essential with the 8.

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/