Rush vs. Hadrian

The Owl

Pick one!  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one!

• Rush
    • Hardian

I think you mean "Hadrian."

I'll pick Rush. Hadrian didn't have Geddy or Neil in it.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 8 2008, 11:36 PM)

I'll pick Rush. Hadrian didn't have Geddy or Neil in it.

Crap, I didn't even notice I did that!

I was able to go back and edit the topic title, but not the Poll choice.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 8 2008, 11:45 PM)

I'll pick Rush.  Hadrian didn't have Geddy or Neil in it.

A mod can fix the mis-spelling in the poll choice for you. Of course, then my comment won't be understood by future visitors to the thread! laugh.gif

I think the "history" in the link you provided is a little wrong in the facts department. I'm pretty sure Geddy was kicked out of Rush before Alex and John changed the name to Hadrian. In other words, at no time was Geddy ever in a band called Hadrian.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2008, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 8 2008, 11:45 PM)

I'll pick Rush.  Hadrian didn't have Geddy or Neil in it.

A mod can fix the mis-spelling in the poll choice for you. Of course, then my comment won't be understood by future visitors to the thread! laugh.gif

I think the "history" in the link you provided is a little wrong in the facts department. I'm pretty sure Geddy was kicked out of Rush before Alex and John changed the name to Hadrian. In other words, at no time was Geddy ever in a band called Hadrian.

You're right on that one. That was the first source that came up when I googled "Rush Hadrian". And that is also the first time I heard of Geddy's band "Judd" as well.

But the source I provided is still pretty accurate.

No, the source got it right.

Geddy was a member of Hadrian, according to this image, he was kicked out and replaced with Joe Perna. This must have been before Geddy got booted.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/the_owl2112/1205223447_7b7f434370.jpg

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 9 2008, 12:38 AM)

Geddy was a member of Hadrian, according to this image, he was kicked out and replaced with Joe Perna.  This must have been before Geddy got booted.

Arrrrggghhh! NO NO NO NO NO!!! I'm sick of seeing this mis-labeled picture on the Net! Even Jon Collins, the author of Chemistry, reprinted this mis-labeled photo in his book, and thereby gave validation to it that it doesn't deserve. To Collins's credit, he later made the correction on an "errata" page after a handful of his readers (myself included) wrote to him.

That picture is labeled completely wrong! Where do I start?

For one thing, that isn't even "Lindy Young" in the picture; it's Mitch Bossi, Rush's second guitarist in the spring of 1971.

And because Mitch is in the picture, it can't be 1969, and it can't be "Hadrian." Mitch only played with Rush, and only between February and May of '71. So this isn't "Hadrian 1969," it's "Rush 1971."

The other evidence that it's not "Hadrian 1969" -- Geddy is in the picture, and so help me God, Geddy never played in Hadrian. Rutsey convinced Alex and Lindy to give Geddy the boot in May 1969, they brought in Joe Perna, and then they changed the name to Hadrian - after Geddy was gone. Lindy then left Hadrian and joined Geddy in Ogilvie (soon changed to Judd). The two bands - Judd and Hadrian - played gigs until they both broke up, first Hadrian and then Judd. In September '69, Rutsey called Geddy and asked him to re-form Rush, and Geddy agreed. Lindy went away to school, and they were a three-piece called Rush again. (Bossi temporarily made it four in early 1971, but left after a few months. After Bossi left, they remained a three-piece until today.)

Anyhoo. It's "Rush 1971" and it's Mitch Bossi, not Lindy Young, in that photograph.

I might have voted "Hardian", but since nobody has actually ever heard them, I stuck with 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2008, 02:20 AM)

Geddy was a member of Hadrian, according to this image, he was kicked out and replaced with Joe Perna.  This must have been before Geddy got booted.

Arrrrggghhh! NO NO NO NO NO!!! I'm sick of seeing this mis-labeled picture on the Net! Even Jon Collins, the author of Chemistry, reprinted this mis-labeled photo in his book, and thereby gave validation to it that it doesn't deserve. To Collins's credit, he later made the correction on an "errata" page after a handful of his readers (myself included) wrote to him.

For one thing, that isn't even "Lindy Young" in the picture; it's Mitch Bossi, Rush's second guitarist in the spring of 1971.

And because Mitch is in the picture, it can't be 1969, and it can't be "Hadrian." Mitch only played with Rush, and only between February and May of '71. So this isn't "Hadrian 1969," it's "Rush 1971."

The other evidence that it's not "Hadrian 1969" -- Geddy is in the picture, and so help me God, Geddy never played in Hadrian. Rutsey convinced Alex and Lindy to give Geddy the boot in May 1969, they brought in Joe Perna, and then they changed the name to Hadrian - after Geddy was gone. Lindy then left Hadrian and joined Geddy in Ogilvie (soon changed to Judd). The two bands - Judd and Hadrian - played gigs until they both broke up, first Hadrian and then Judd. In September '69, Rutsey called Geddy and asked him to re-form Rush, and Geddy agreed. Lindy went away to school, and they were a three-piece called Rush again. (Bossi temporarily made it four in early 1971, but left after a few months. After Bossi left, they remained a three-piece until today.)

Anyhoo. It's "Rush 1971" and it's Mitch Bossi, not Lindy Young, in that photograph.

Wow, did just get schooled ph34r.gif

I believe you, but can you point out an accurate source on this?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2008, 06:20 PM)

Well done Mark and thanks for this in depth explanation. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif laugh.gif I may well have voted HADRIAN however because in actual fact, that is my real first name but I usually go under my middle one. laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (different strings @ Aug 10 2008, 02:04 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2008, 06:20 PM)

Well done Mark and thanks for this in depth explanation. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif laugh.gif I may well have voted HADRIAN however because in actual fact, that is my real first name but I usually go under my middle one. laugh.gif trink39.gif

biggrin.gif That is so cool. Is your middle name JUDD?

dream theater

wink.gif

To Owl: the source is Rush: Visions: The Official Biography by Bill Banasiewicz. He had unprecedented access to the band before a falling-out. Everything we know today probably came from that book... before Visions, how many of us knew how Geddy got his name, for example? These days, with the Inter-thingy, information like that is taken for granted. But back in 1987, there was really only print sources like this book.

I for one did a LOT of research on Rush in the pre-Internet days; I bought every magazine article, went to the library to dig up old material, etc. I know a lot about the band, and most of it didn't come from somebody's website; it came from doing the actual legwork myself. I'm proud of that. (If you can't tell. wink.gif )

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 11 2008, 06:28 PM)
So does anyone know Why they kicked Geddy out of the band for God's sake?

I got the impression it was one of these reasons:

1. Rutsey was jealous of all the attention Geddy, the singer, received.

2. Rutsey wanted a bassist/vocalist who wasn't a bespectacled, nerdy geek like Geddy.

3. Both.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 11 2008, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Aug 11 2008, 06:28 PM)
So does anyone know Why they kicked Geddy out of the band for God's sake?

I got the impression it was one of these reasons:

1. Rutsey was jealous of all the attention Geddy, the singer, received.

2. Rutsey wanted a bassist/vocalist who wasn't a bespectacled, nerdy geek like Geddy.

3. Both.

*heart breaks*

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 9 2008, 12:20 AM)

I woulda told Rutsey to F-OFF!

Archived