Discovery Channel's Shark Week

Jack Aubrey

I know, I should have started this thread on Monday. Sorry 'bout that! Did you folks see the 'MythBusters' shark special? Not only did we get to see Kari in a bathing suit and in a wetsuit but there was other cool stuff, too. laugh.gif

I love Shark week. I watched a show on Tiger sharks where a guy was swimming with them without the tank. Then I saw another where a guy was trying to get bit by a shark...that was interesting.

I've been intrigued by Sharks since I saw Jaws as a kid.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 31 2008, 10:44 AM)
I know, I should have started this thread on Monday. Sorry 'bout that! Did you folks see the 'MythBusters' shark special? Not only did we get to see Kari in a bathing suit and in a wetsuit but there was other cool stuff, too. laugh.gif

Yeah but why did she do that to her hair..............

She needs to go natural again. yes.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 31 2008, 11:00 AM)
I love Shark week. I watched a show on Tiger sharks where a guy was swimming with them without the tank. Then I saw another where a guy was trying to get bit by a shark...that was interesting.

Me too!

Do you have this?

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/13430000/13436534.JPG

It's a real bargain. Only 20 bucks at Best Buy.

This four-disc set contains the following episodes: "Air Jaws: Sharks of South Africa" (2000); "Air Jaws II: Even Higher" (2002); "Anatomy of a Shark Bite" (2003); "Shark Attack Survivors" (2006); "Shark Rebellion" (2006); "Shark Attack Rescuers" (2002); "Prehistoric Sharks" (1998); "Future Shark" (2000); "Bull Shark: World's Deadliest Shark" (2004); "Jaws of the Pacific" (2003); "Sharks in a Desert Sea" (1999); "American Shark" (2005); "Shark Hunter: Chasing the Great White" (2005); and "Shark Bite! Surviving Great Whites" (2005).

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 31 2008, 10:22 AM)
I love Shark week.  I watched a show on Tiger sharks where a guy was swimming with them without the tank.  Then I saw another where a guy was trying to get bit by a shark...that was interesting.

Me too!

Do you have this?

This four-disc set contains the following episodes: "Air Jaws: Sharks of South Africa" (2000); "Air Jaws II: Even Higher" (2002); "Anatomy of a Shark Bite" (2003); "Shark Attack Survivors" (2006); "Shark Rebellion" (2006); "Shark Attack Rescuers" (2002); "Prehistoric Sharks" (1998); "Future Shark" (2000); "Bull Shark: World's Deadliest Shark" (2004); "Jaws of the Pacific" (2003); "Sharks in a Desert Sea" (1999); "American Shark" (2005); "Shark Hunter: Chasing the Great White" (2005); and "Shark Bite! Surviving Great Whites" (2005).

I've got to check that out!

Last night I was watching the 10 deadliest sharks...but I schla03.gif after the hammerhead!!! angry.gif

I missed the good parts...but it was on late, and I was damn tired. I'm playing Mr. Mom this week because my wife is traveling, so I was pretty warn out. I hope it is on again, because I didn't get to see the Tiger or Great White.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 1 2008, 09:27 AM)
I love Shark week.  I watched a show on Tiger sharks where a guy was swimming with them without the tank.  Then I saw another where a guy was trying to get bit by a shark...that was interesting.

Me too!

Do you have this?

Last night I was watching the 10 deadliest sharks...but I schla03.gif after the hammerhead!!! angry.gif

I missed the good parts...but it was on late, and I was damn tired. I'm playing Mr. Mom this week because my wife is traveling, so I was pretty warn out. I hope it is on again, because I didn't get to see the Tiger or Great White.

Its the same one they ran last year. Did you see it last year?

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Aug 1 2008, 08:29 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 1 2008, 09:27 AM)

Me too!

Do you have this?

Its the same one they ran last year. Did you see it last year?

Yep...and I really enjoyed it, which is why I tried to stay up to watch it. sad.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Less Stroud have a program on last year's Shark Week? Does anyone know if Less will be making an appearance this Shark Week? I'm a huge Less fan.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 1 2008, 10:17 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Less Stroud have a program on last year's Shark Week? Does anyone know if Less will be making an appearance this Shark Week? I'm a huge Less fan.

Saw Les Stroud on last night, but I don't know if it was new or the same one they ran last year. He was setting up "chumsicles" all over the place, and testing things to do in order to survive a shark situation. I enjoy his shows a lot myself. I think he's much better than Bear Grylls, for example. But, I didn't care for this show as much as I usually do. I think it's because it wasn't the usual format where he just survives a situation. Not that I blame him. Trying to do a full on survival scenario for shark week would be extremely dangerous, and I'm sure the insurance company probably draws the line there.

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 3 2008, 07:41 AM)
always been fascinated by sharks,perfect killing machines and beautiful to watch ,so graceful.
i think jaws is the greatest film ever made

Mmhmm! my fav movie also! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I missed mythbusters! angry.gif

thought id share:

my brother caught a Thresher shark off long Island

few yrs ago.

took him 3 hours to reel it in. think it was a 15 OR 18ft

and weighed well over 500lbs

http://i36.tinypic.com/2entd36.jpg

applaudit.gif wtg Mike!

the pic looks weird cuz i took a pic of a pic,

i have it layin on the counter & took a pic of it..

u can see the flash on the bottom lilbit unsure.gif

Edited by DonnaWanna

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Aug 3 2008, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 1 2008, 10:17 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Less Stroud have a program on last year's Shark Week?  Does anyone know if Less will be making an appearance this Shark Week?  I'm a huge Less fan.

Saw Les Stroud on last night, but I don't know if it was new or the same one they ran last year. He was setting up "chumsicles" all over the place, and testing things to do in order to survive a shark situation. I enjoy his shows a lot myself. I think he's much better than Bear Grylls, for example. But, I didn't care for this show as much as I usually do. I think it's because it wasn't the usual format where he just survives a situation. Not that I blame him. Trying to do a full on survival scenario for shark week would be extremely dangerous, and I'm sure the insurance company probably draws the line there.

I caught the chumsicles Saturday night. 1022.gif

Less is much better than Bear. Bear's show seems so contrived. I don't care for it at all.

Anyone catch the Mythbusters special? I'm usually not as amazed at what Tory does as I'm supposed to be, but swimming with sharks that have just been chummed I thought was crazy. I don't know if I could do that. Also caught the Dirty Jobs episode where he tests the chainmail suit by getting a shark to bite you. Don't know if I could do that either.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 4 2008, 02:20 PM)
Anyone catch the Mythbusters special? I'm usually not as amazed at what Tory does as I'm supposed to be, but swimming with sharks that have just been chummed I thought was crazy. I don't know if I could do that. Also caught the Dirty Jobs episode where he tests the chainmail suit by getting a shark to bite you. Don't know if I could do that either.

I don't know if it was dirty jobs...but I saw one special where they put the chainmail stuff over a tuna, and then threw it out for the Great White...and the Great White bit right threw it. scary.

I don't know if I could get in the water with a large shark with just chainmail..but I could certainly do the shark cage. That would be really cool. 1022.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Aug 4 2008, 02:34 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 4 2008, 02:20 PM)

I don't know if it was dirty jobs...but I saw one special where they put the chainmail stuff over a tuna, and then threw it out for the Great White...and the Great White bit right threw it. scary.

I don't know if I could get in the water with a large shark with just chainmail..but I could certainly do the shark cage. That would be really cool. 1022.gif

The chainmail and tuna thing was on the Les Stroud show.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Aug 4 2008, 04:43 PM)
Sharks bore me. I am tired of all the documentaries on sharks.

Bring back The Deadliest Catch (even re-runs) damnit!

Yes I agree. Sharks bore me as well.

They should have a "Weapons Week". Im not kidding; tons of myths go along with guns, so Mythbusters would be okay, and there are endless possibilities for documentaries based on them. Not to mention that it could also be educational!

Edited by Alex

QUOTE (Sark @ Aug 5 2008, 08:45 AM)
I saw the Dirty Jobs shark week episode with Mike freezing in the Arctic. laugh.gif

I still have to watch that one. I have it on my DVR.