Watch the 'Watchmen'!

Jack Aubrey

Fantastic, amazing, terrific, wonderful, awesome, great coolness! Here's you link: 'Watchmen;. Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 08:04 PM)
It seems that DC has hit another one out of the park!

I have to read the graphic novel again.

Yeah, I started re-reading it right after I watched the trailer! laugh.gif

Edit: Isn't the trailer just pitch-perfect? A lot of those scenes were panels from the comic come to life! The trailer is better than I thought it would be, and my expectations were already high!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Jul 17 2008, 08:22 PM)
OMFGHOLYSHITFUCKYES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

common001.gif

I'm a little excited.

That was my reaction! laugh.gif

The official site has gone live, too! 'Watchmen' site.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2008, 08:12 PM)

Edit: Isn't the trailer just pitch-perfect? A lot of those scenes were panels from the comic come to life! The trailer is better than I thought it would be, and my expectations were already high!

I think with something like Watchmen that's the best way to do it, since the graphic novel is practically a storyboard. It's not like Batman where there have been numerous interpretations over the decades. I think that gives a filmmaker some freedom and liberty in defining a new take on the characters. "You know, we don't need to have The Joker bleached and scared by a chemical bath this time." But since there's only one Watchmen, a filmmaker who takes some liberty with the interpretation is probably going to get crucified. The story and characters are already firmly defined with the fanbase. Just my opinion.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 17 2008, 08:31 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 17 2008, 08:12 PM)

I think with something like Watchmen that's the best way to do it, since the graphic novel is practically a storyboard. It's not like Batman where there have been numerous interpretations over the decades. I think that gives a filmmaker some freedom and liberty in defining a new take on the characters. "You know, we don't need to have The Joker bleached and scared by a chemical bath this time." But since there's only one Watchmen, a filmmaker who takes some liberty with the interpretation is probably going to get crucified. The story and characters are already firmly defined with the fanbase. Just my opinion.

I agree.

The latest 'Entertainment Weekly cover:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/EWwatchmenBig.jpg

My reaction was quite mixed. Some CGI seems quite rough, at points. Probably it will get better.

It's true: a lot of scenes are directly taken from the panels... cool stuff! But the Nightowl scenes screamed too much "Batman!" for me. I'll have to watch it again, I was expecting something more "lateral thinking" than this...

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 18 2008, 04:38 AM)
My reaction was quite mixed. Some CGI seems quite rough, at points. Probably it will get better.
It's true: a lot of scenes are directly taken from the panels... cool stuff! But the Nightowl scenes screamed too much "Batman!" for me. I'll have to watch it again, I was expecting something more "lateral thinking" than this...

Do you think any of us could watch a scene like that and not think "Batman"? It's a guy in a form-fitting costume with cape and cowl, for goodness sake! Of course it's going to remind us of Batman! laugh.gif

You have to admit that's a tiny detail and not worthy of worrying about.

I think Nite Owl is supposed to remind you of Batman since the book is sort of superhero satire. I'm glad they didn't do the X-Men thing and tone down the ridiculous costumes (I still want Wolverine in yellow and blue spandex, damnit).

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 18 2008, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Jul 18 2008, 04:14 PM)
Anyone get the Newest edition of Entertainment Weekly?

WATCHMEN on the cover!!!!!

Did you read through this thread? confused13.gif

Actually I did not...thanks for pointing out my ignorance.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 20 2008, 06:58 PM)
Saw the trailer today before The Dark Knight and it looks amazing. I don't know the comic book but the film looks like quite the spectacle.

Same here. I know nothing of The Watchmen but my friend said the bad guy is basically like Superman gone crazy.

What's The Watchmen all about anyhow?

QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Jul 18 2008, 05:53 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jul 18 2008, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (DiscipleofLerxst @ Jul 18 2008, 04:14 PM)
Anyone get the Newest edition of Entertainment Weekly?

WATCHMEN on the cover!!!!!

Did you read through this thread? confused13.gif

Actually I did not...thanks for pointing out my ignorance.

I meant no ill will.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jul 20 2008, 09:36 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jul 20 2008, 06:58 PM)
Saw the trailer today before The Dark Knight and it looks amazing. I don't know the comic book but the film looks like quite the spectacle.

Same here. I know nothing of The Watchmen but my friend said the bad guy is basically like Superman gone crazy.

What's The Watchmen all about anyhow?

Your friend is wrong. Just go to your bookstore and buy it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 18 2008, 06:55 PM)
QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Jul 18 2008, 04:38 AM)

Do you think any of us could watch a scene like that and not think "Batman"? It's a guy in a form-fitting costume with cape and cowl, for goodness sake! Of course it's going to remind us of Batman! laugh.gif

You have to admit that's a tiny detail and not worthy of worrying about.

Yes, of course. But if you check the comic, there's not a single "Batman pose" in all of Watchmen. The parallelism between Batman and Nightowl is suggested through the underground liar, the gizmos, a lot of camp references to the camp Batman.

In some ways, the "real" Batman of Watchmen is Rorschach: dark, obsessed, striking fear in criminals...

Alan Moore went really to a great lenght not to be too literal in the metaphors, while the trailer _seems to suggest_ a more easy visual reference. Yes I know it's a movie blah blah...

Anyway, Jack, I think I see your point and I hate to be a complainer: I really do, I share your enthusiasm about this and I hope you can see my point.

trink39.gif