The *Official* Harry Potter Thread

Choose/the/light

Look at my avatar, of course I love Harry Potter. biggrin.gif

What is that podcast all about, CTL?

Just finished watching Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire...in a row! That's after watching Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday.

I love Harry Potter, but I have trouble convincing other adults that the books are worth reading.

I got into the books after the second movie was released. So as it worked out, I read book one and two, and then saw the movies. Then read book 3 before I saw movie three and so on.

I finished The Half Blood Prince and will not read Deathly Hallows until after I see Half Blood Prince at the movies. That's just the way its worked out.

Read Harry Potter! It wont disappoint!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Jul 6 2008, 08:55 PM)
Just finished watching Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire...in a row! That's after watching Prisoner of Azkaban yesterday.

I love Harry Potter, but I have trouble convincing other adults that the books are worth reading.

I got into the books after the second movie was released. So as it worked out, I read book one and two, and then saw the movies. Then read book 3 before I saw movie three and so on.

I finished The Half Blood Prince and will not read Deathly Hallows until after I see Half Blood Prince at the movies. That's just the way its worked out.

Read Harry Potter! It wont disappoint!

BTW Deathly Hallows will be made into 2 seperate movies.

Go ahead and read it, I couldn't see myself waiting.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 6 2008, 09:52 PM)
BTW Deathly Hallows will be made into 2 seperate movies. 

Go ahead and read it, I couldn't see myself waiting.

Nope--no can do. Book, movie, book, movie... that's the pattern I've held so far, and I'm stickin to it! Besides, it adds to the anticipation.

I heard about the two films from one book! So excited! common001.gif

I will confess that I've gotten out of HP for a while. The last full book I read was Order of the Phoenix, and that was around 3 years ago. I haven't even seen the fifth movie yet! Looks like I need to get back in the groove.

Of course, I did watch most of the third movie Sunday night... Azkaban still reigns as my favorite movie! yes.gif

• Like 1

To tell you the truth, the Azakaban film was my least faviorate. I did like the "new look" that completly undid the sugar coated "kids" Hogwarts of the Chris Colombus first 2 films.

But there was too much stuff left out, and I would have felt bad for those who went to see the movie, and not have read the book. It would have been confusing.

Espically at the end, the mauraderers map was not explained, and who it's creators were (James, Sirius, Peter, Remus). And why they created it. The whole "secret-keeper" plot point was really watered down in the film.

I still liked the movie though, but probably my least faviorate.

I have trouble picking a favorite movie, but my favorite book is the Goblet of Fire. That one left me reeling for days. wacko.gif

The first 3 books were all excellent, but I had mixed feeling about the 5th........it kinda left me with a weird feeling. unsure.gif

And I honestly can't remember the last 2 that well, probably because I haven't read them a thousand times. laugh.gif

I think 'Azkaban' was one of the best films so far. Goblet Of Fire was a complete disaster, however. I'm sorry, but for a particular event that took up 3/4 chapters in the book, you DO NOT, under any circumstances, give it less than 5 minutes in the film. That death eater scene should've been alot longer.

GOF and OOTP were complete disasters in movie format. I have a feeling HBP will be the same.. The only film that's getting the proper treatment is the seventh and that's probably just to milk you out of that last little bit of money in all honesty laugh.gif . The best movie was POA and that was because Alfonso Cauron is so talented imho.

Did I enjoy HP? Yes & No. A lot of it works on a lot of cliches (I predicted around 75% of what would happen in DH) and I'm not a fan of Ms Rowling & her attitude as the people at Mugglenet usually find out in their comment box when she's yet again doing something ridiculous tongue.gif. On the other hand, it's a great way to get kids into books if they aren't already into them and it's an enjoyable yarn if you've not really been through a lot of books before.

My favourite HP book was OOTP.. I liked it because.. Well, I can't remember now really.. I think it's because it's the one that really pushed a limit and drove for something. I didn't enjoy HBP because Rowling put a little element in her writing (I will not say here for spoiler purposes) that she should not try and write again because it was cringe worthy. DH was one of the worst in my opinion, there's a section of that book that goes on far, far too long.. I remember I had bought it on the midnight release and I was coming home from holiday and we got stuck in the floods over night.. This particular part made me put down the book and sleep tongue.gif.

If you enjoy it, that's great, but the best book series (and a step up after HP if you're now an adult) out there is definitely "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin.

I stress that you must be an adult because some of the scenes are not for children's eyes smile.gif.

I wasn't all that impressed with the last HP movie. The acting was awful (especially from Dan and Rupert), the plot was too sketchy and thrown together, and I felt like I didn't know what was happening half the time. I hope the next movie is better, although I doubt it because the same director who filmed The Order Of The Phoenix is making the next one.

The books, though, are superb, and each one was better than the last.

Edited by Spindrift82

THIS THREAD IS BEING REVIVED IN

THREE...

TWO...

ONE...

"Revelio!"

I felt that with the final movie (EVER) coming out in three days here in the US.. and it's already out overseas, lucky you guys... there's a sense of finality. But we will forever have our books and our movies and if you were obsessive like me, about three or four board games, video games, and various other things as well.

So let's revive this thing. So far, what movie have you loved the most.. or hated the most? Same with the books.

As of right now, and I haven't seen Deathly Hallow Pt. 2 yet, I'm really not sure what my favourite movie was. I really liked Goblet of Fire but they cut out some of my favourite parts and completely changed the final task. I mean wut. D: I thought the last one was pretty intense. Chamber of Secrets translated pretty well into film, too.

One thing I've certainly appreciated there is that they've kept the same set, costume, makeup, etc. designers and of course the cast stuck around all these years. That's just great. biggrin.gif

And since this is Turn the Page, I have to touch on the books. My favourite is...

...Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Yes, I love it, LOOOVE IIIIT gaaah. It's just so amazing. Sometimes I will go back and read the last five or so chapters, starting with the end of the third task and reading through the end. I mean it was the first time we got to see Voldemort, and I mean really see him in all his awesome, evil glory. "Flesh, Blood, and Bone" (ch. 32) is truly one of the creepiest chapters I have ever read in a YA fantasy novel. Of course the other books have their moments -- but that one sends shivers up my spine.

Oh, and slightly off-topic, but since Voldemort told Wormtail to kill Cedric Diggory and then Cedric came back as a sparkling, emo, wussy "vampire", we can all go ahead and blame Voldemort for the creation of Edward Cullen.

Hey, we all know how evil he is! He can even make us Muggles miserable!

• Like 1

So last night, following the mind-blowingly awesome midnight premiere of HP7, my friend and I were discussing the differences between...

...Harry Potter and Twilight.

Oh yes. The now age-old debate.

See, my friend was a Twilight fan for some time before she realized, "Oh, wait, maybe this isn't so good" and so we kind of talked about it. One thing we agreed is that what really made Harry Potter so much better was because it was universal, and it dealt with a lot broader concepts than just... relationships. |:

And thus, it had a broader appeal. So many people, young, old, teenagers, college students, girls, guys, seem to love Harry. People my age and a little older grew up with it. It's got such a cult sort of following, but I think the big difference between it and Twilight is that it's for a good reason. I believe JK Rowling has proven her prowess as an author and was able to write a book that both captivating, marketable, and a true sort of timeless classic. It was a series and a world that was all at once alien but so recognizable to everyone. It was both an escape and a mirror reflection of our own world - something that became clearer throughout the series.

So what do you guys think? What gave Harry Potter the upper edge, even though Twilight was (disgustingly imo xD) called "the next Harry Potter"? Or did it have an edge? Twilight has done rather well in both the box office and the bookstores.

Saw the movie yesterday afternoon...and I didn't love it. sad.gif I feel pretty let down actually. Several things I would've changed - I'll wait to mention them till most everyone has seen it.

But while it was an okay flick...I just didn't love it. And I wanted to love it.

QUOTE (sonictheplumber @ Jul 16 2011, 08:10 PM)
read the first 3 in elementary school

good reads

!!!

How could you have stopped after Prisoner of Azkaban?! In my opinion it only got better after that, and to this day Goblet of Fire is my favourite in the entire series.

I would highly recommend you check out the last four.. if just from the library or something. You can even find places online to read them for free. (Working my way through Order of the Phoenix on a website until I can get my hands on a paper copy.) And J.K. Rowling's writing just gets better and better, more stylized (if that's the word I'm looking for?), more mature, really something I've read she did on purpose since she knew a lot of kids were literally growing up with her books (like me haha).

I'd say it's worth it. (:

Apparently there is this new thing going up on the internet called "Pottermore" that is supposed to be like an online supplemental to the books, and that will have alot more additional information..

that ought to be pretty intresting.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 25 2011, 06:36 PM)
Apparently there is this new thing going up on the internet called "Pottermore" that is supposed to be like an online supplemental to the books, and that will have alot more additional information..

that ought to be pretty intresting.

I got on the e-mail list and stayed up for the release of the interview about the release of the website.

No, I don't have a life. xD; Er, rather, I make time in my life for HP.

It does sound pretty interesting. I can't wait to find out what it's all about~

Have any of you heard of A Very Potter Musical? I watched it on Youtube today (

and just follow the links if you like) and it was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen. laugh.gif The acting and even music are strangely brilliant, and at some points I was practically teary-eyed from laughing so hard. xDD

My friends told me over and over to watch it, and I was so skeptical since I'm such a musical critic, but it was worth every second.

It's a parody, but it's lovingly made. :3