Neil sighting (Freddie Gruber's bday)

rushfr:CP

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 17 2008, 09:04 AM)
QUOTE (Smudger @ May 17 2008, 09:59 AM)
And he's a less than good lyricist.

Give me an example of who you consider to be a better than good lyricist please.

Jon Anderson - Complete and utter Cosmic Bollocks, but it works smile.gif

Lips - Complete and utter bollocks, but it works smile.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 17 2008, 04:27 PM)
QUOTE (Smudger @ May 17 2008, 04:41 PM)
The Bafut Beagles was one of my set texts at O-Level

What does this mean?

It means that it was a book I had to study for my 'O'-levels, examinations we took aged 16 in Britain, although thinking about it, it could well have been something we read before then.

It was written by a chap called Gerald Durrell, and is well worth checking out.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 18 2008, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 19 2008, 12:13 AM)

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from.  Neil wouldn't have made his successes without his fans.  He does owe fans some sort of acknowledgment when they greet him, even if its just a nice gesture like a wink or nod.  He's damned lucky that John Rutsey (RIP) departed the band when he did, otherwise he'd still be driving around that piece of shit with his drumkit in the trunk.

Why are you here?

[oblig]Because he's here.[/oblig]

Mr. Peart was at Freddie Gruber's birthday party. He was sitting next to Mr. Gruber at Mr. Gruber's table. Mr. Peart has Mr. Gruber as his drum teacher. Mr. Peart was there to honor and celebrate the man and nwo close friend who totally changed Mr. Pearts drumming style in the early 90's. Any idiot that does not personally know Mr. Peart and walks up to him in an environment like that is a fool. Did the poster walk up to say "Hi Freddie" to Mr. Gruber or was he being a fanboi and trying to impress only himself and later "brag" online about meeting him by saying Hi to Mr. Peart. Quite lucky that the poster (quite a name dropper as well) did not get kicked out. The occasion was to enjoy Mr. Gruber's birthday and why should Mr. Peart acknowledge someone he does not know in a private party setting like that? That takes away from his fun and the true focus of the evening. Heck if someone comes up to me and says Hi (insert name) and I don't know them...I get a bit freaky too! Lay off the man and let him live his life with his rules, not yours. 2.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 18 2008, 11:13 PM)

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from.

It's a well known fact that every post you make on this forum puts a nickle in Neil's pocket.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 11:29 AM)
Swell, another "Neil is a dick" thread.  These NEVER get old!

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from. Neil wouldn't have made his successes without his fans. He does owe fans some sort of acknowledgment when they greet him, even if its just a nice gesture like a wink or nod. He's damned lucky that John Rutsey (RIP) departed the band when he did, otherwise he'd still be driving around that piece of shit with his drumkit in the trunk.

I don't understand why so many people think that Neil (and the other 2 members of Rush, for that matter) "owes all of his successes to his fans" and "we made them what they are." We did not.

They've worked their asses off to produce a catalogue of work that is true to them. There happens to be a significant number of people to whom their music, and Neil's drumming, appeals. We CHOOSE to buy the work because we LIKE it. The band makes something that we, the fans, want, and in turn we give them money for copies of their work. It is the same with any other "leisure" or "entertainment" product. No one NEEDS a PS3 or an X-Box, or a Wii. The manufacturers came up with a product, put it on the market, and enough people found it compelling enough to make the manufacturers wealthy.

Granted, there are exceptions to this . . . some "artists" have profited not so much from hard work and talent as from brilliant marketing campaigns. But they generally burn out pretty quickly. And Rush have never been very forwardly marketed, which impresses me all the more.

On the flip side, when a band fails to make it commercially, no one accuses the music-buying public of "destroying" them and causing them to be big failures.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ May 19 2008, 04:01 AM)

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from.  Neil wouldn't have made his successes without his fans.  He does owe fans some sort of acknowledgment when they greet him, even if its just a nice gesture like a wink or nod.  He's damned lucky that John Rutsey (RIP) departed the band when he did, otherwise he'd still be driving around that piece of shit with his drumkit in the trunk.

Why are you here?

You beat me to it smile.gif

The Rush I love is the Rush of the past, that's why I come around.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 19 2008, 07:41 AM)

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from.

It's a well known fact that every post you make on this forum puts a nickle in Neil's pocket.

Damn it!

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 19 2008, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ May 15 2008, 11:29 AM)
Swell, another "Neil is a dick" thread.  These NEVER get old!

Neil is the reason I will never purchase anything that he or Rush profits from. Neil wouldn't have made his successes without his fans. He does owe fans some sort of acknowledgment when they greet him, even if its just a nice gesture like a wink or nod. He's damned lucky that John Rutsey (RIP) departed the band when he did, otherwise he'd still be driving around that piece of shit with his drumkit in the trunk.

I don't understand why so many people think that Neil (and the other 2 members of Rush, for that matter) "owes all of his successes to his fans" and "we made them what they are." We did not.

They've worked their asses off to produce a catalogue of work that is true to them. There happens to be a significant number of people to whom their music, and Neil's drumming, appeals. We CHOOSE to buy the work because we LIKE it. The band makes something that we, the fans, want, and in turn we give them money for copies of their work. It is the same with any other "leisure" or "entertainment" product. No one NEEDS a PS3 or an X-Box, or a Wii. The manufacturers came up with a product, put it on the market, and enough people found it compelling enough to make the manufacturers wealthy.

Granted, there are exceptions to this . . . some "artists" have profited not so much from hard work and talent as from brilliant marketing campaigns. But they generally burn out pretty quickly. And Rush have never been very forwardly marketed, which impresses me all the more.

On the flip side, when a band fails to make it commercially, no one accuses the music-buying public of "destroying" them and causing them to be big failures.

Well, if they all lived on an undiscovered, remote island and busted their asses to make great music, where would they be then? On that same island climbing coconut trees looking for dinner. And another thing- There is an astounding and countless number of "commoners" (as Neil would have it) that have helped Rush and Neil get where they are in the world. In fact they would have never made it without the help of "nonessentials" since the beginning of Rush.

If Neil's smart enough, he'll realize this and be nice to the happy, admiring fans that think the world of him. I, too, was once an introverted, snobby person who didn't want to deal with anyone, but it dawned on me one day that life's too short to be shitty to people and I shouldn't take myself too seriously . As individuals, we are all of the same, but we grew up in wildly different circumstances and varying (or no) amounts of "luck" along the way.

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 19 2008, 10:03 AM)

Why are you here?

Can I assume Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres are your favorite albums?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 19 2008, 10:20 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 19 2008, 10:03 AM)

Why are you here?

Can I assume Caress Of Steel and Hemispheres are your favorite albums?

That would be a pretty fair assumption unsure.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 19 2008, 10:22 AM)
If Neil's smart enough, he'll realize this and be nice to the happy, admiring fans that think the world of him.

You've never been in Neil's position so your comments are not relevant. I am 100% positive that Neil is much "smarter" than you and probably the majority of the individuals in this forum.

Neil has shared more about his private life through his books than almost any other musical artist that I know of. Much more than you would ever learn in a forced meeting where Neil is expected to treat you like a 'friend'.

If you had read his books then you would completely understand why he used to be much more open to meeting fans in the early days vs now. Rush only owes the fans 100% effort at a concert and staying true to their musical talents and aspirations. That's it. Anything else is a bonus and should be treated as such, not expected.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ May 19 2008, 10:38 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ May 19 2008, 10:22 AM)
If Neil's smart enough, he'll realize this and be nice to the happy, admiring fans that think the world of him.

You've never been in Neil's position so your comments are not relevant. I am 100% positive that Neil is much "smarter" than you and probably the majority of the individuals in this forum.

Neil has shared more about his private life through his books than almost any other musical artist that I know of. Much more than you would ever learn in a forced meeting where Neil is expected to treat you like a 'friend'.

If you had read his books then you would completely understand why he used to be much more open to meeting fans in the early days vs now. Rush only owes the fans 100% effort at a concert and staying true to their musical talents and aspirations. That's it. Anything else is a bonus and should be treated as such, not expected.

goodpost.gif

Neil would have been better of having never published those books, at least where he writes about his tragedies. If someone's life is that private, why is it on amazon.com?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2008, 11:17 AM)
Neil would have been better of having never published those books, at least where he writes about his tragedies. If someone's life is that private, why is it on amazon.com?

Not true.

I have often said that the fact that he wrote those books shows that he's not some stuck-up snob who won't share his life with his fans.

The books have allowed him to share on HIS TERMS. No one who has read Ghost Rider could say that he never lets anyone "in." He pretty much lays his soul out there, if you're willing to read and absorb what he says.

I think the main thing is that some fans don't like his method of sharing - they want it in real time, live and in person, and that just doesn't work for him.

To me, Ghost Rider is more personal than any interview or conversation would ever be. Maybe Neil is like me...I express myself much better via the written word than in conversation.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 19 2008, 12:23 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2008, 11:17 AM)

Not true.

I have often said that the fact that he wrote those books shows that he's not some stuck-up snob who won't share his life with his fans.

The books have allowed him to share on HIS TERMS. No one who has read Ghost Rider could say that he never lets anyone "in." He pretty much lays his soul out there, if you're willing to read and absorb what he says.

I think the main thing is that some fans don't like his method of sharing - they want it in real time, live and in person, and that just doesn't work for him.

To me, Ghost Rider is more personal than any interview or conversation would ever be. Maybe Neil is like me...I express myself much better via the written word than in conversation.

yes.gif

Yes, but my point is that if it is private then why make all of this information available to the public eye? It only invites the kind of attention he doesn't want.

I understand that writing about one's personal tragedies it is helpful and therapeutic, but it doesn't have to go public.

Elizabeth Montgomery was quite the private individual herself and for the most part refused interviews. Apparently she had some bad experiences earlier on so she also put up a shield in the same way that Neil has done. She was kind to her fans when discussing her career and such, but her private life was absolutely off-limits. She didn't publish anything she did not want the public to know.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2008, 11:37 AM)
Yes, but my point is that if it is private then why make all of this information available to the public eye? It only invites the kind of attention he doesn't want.

I understand that writing about one's personal tragedies it is helpful and therapeutic, but it doesn't have to go public.

Elizabeth Montgomery was quite the private individual herself and for the most part refused interviews. Apparently she had some bad experiences earlier on so she also put up a shield in the same way that Neil has done. She was kind to her fans when discussing her career and such, but her private life was absolutely off-limits. She didn't publish anything she did not want the public to know.

And my point is that he got that kind of attention even BEFORE writing books. He didn't like it then either.

Writing the books IS the gift he has given us. Just because he was quite open in the books doesn't give anyone the right to bug him even MORE.

That's like saying that a woman who dresses provocatively invites lewd comments, and that those comments are okay because she wouldn't dress that way if she didn't want the attention.

IMO, of course.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 19 2008, 12:54 PM)

And my point is that he got that kind of attention even BEFORE writing books. He didn't like it then either.

Writing the books IS the gift he has given us. Just because he was quite open in the books doesn't give anyone the right to bug him even MORE.

That's like saying that a woman who dresses provocatively invites lewd comments, and that those comments are okay because she wouldn't dress that way if she didn't want the attention.

IMO, of course.

I see your point regarding the example with the woman. It is not right to make lewd comments, but the lewd comments will happen, (particularly if you walk right past some construction workers, wink.gif )

People are people. Neil can continue to publish his private life and fans will continue to berate him over and over with questions about it. Realistically, you can't expect to write about your life and publish it and not expect questions from your fanbase.

Right or wrong, it's the way it is.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 19 2008, 12:07 PM)

IMO, of course.

I see your point regarding the example with the woman. It is not right to make lewd comments, but the lewd comments will happen, (particularly if you walk right past some construction workers, wink.gif )

People are people. Neil can continue to publish his private life and fans will continue to berate him over and over with questions about it. Realistically, you can't expect to write about your life and publish it and not expect questions from your fanbase.

Right or wrong, it's the way it is.

I agree with that to some extent, sure you can expect questions, and minor questions can't bug Neil that much. He isnt COMPLETELY anti-scocial and unfriendly he just isnt the type of person that would want to be on MTV's Cribs.

Warning #1: Before anyone gets offended, this response is tongue-in-cheek; GG's post just made me think of it.

Warning #2: Those sensitive to language should not click this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAh0q8CegVM

You don't have to watch the whole thing. The part I'm referring to is from 7:45 until the end. Feel free to skip right there.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ May 19 2008, 12:13 PM)

Warning #1: Before anyone gets offended, this response is tongue-in-cheek; GG's post just made me think of it.

You don't have to watch the whole thing. The part I'm referring to is from 7:45 until the end. Feel free to skip right there.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah, yeah...blame it all on me. tongue.gif

(And Dave Chappell is pretty damn funny.)

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ May 19 2008, 12:13 PM)

tongue.gif

LMAO

The obvious example of that is "Limelight"...which came about 20 years before Ghost Rider was written.