The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Rushman14

What do you think of "The Lamb"  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of "The Lamb"

• A Masterpiece
    • Overrated Garbage
    • Average

Before I became a member of this forum, I thought every Genesis fan considered this album a masterpiece, like myself. Much to my surprise, many members of this forum seem to despise this album. I think it's a challenging record musically and lyrically and it pays off in spades. One of my all time favorites.

Speak up Lamb fans and haters.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is no mystery how I voted based on the other thread. This album, as far as ranking Genesis releases, is very near the bottom. These are the only songs I like:

Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974

In the Cage

Back in N.Y.C.

The Colony of Slippermen

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 6 2008, 10:41 AM)
Well it is no mystery how I voted based on the other thread. This album, as far as ranking Genesis releases, is very near the bottom. These are the only songs I like:

In the Cage
Back in N.Y.C.
The Colony of Slippermen

you dont like the title track? or Lillywhite Lilith?

The whole album is genius. Pure genius.....Except the title track IMHO....

Carpet crawlers is so good it makes me cry! Especially when Phil sings it and Bruford plays the drums. MMMMMmmmm....true prog!!!

Awesome album. I had to go with masterpiece as thats the closest option to how I feel you offered although essentially I wouldn't call it a masterpiece on my own terms. I'd probably give it around an 8/10 rating.

I think some of the "songs" are rather pointless Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats and Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist being my best examples of that and I do think the albums either end of it are essentially better (Selling England By The Pound and A Trick Of The Tail) but "overrated garbage" is almost laughable in my opinion. The likes of The Carper Crawlers, Back In NYC, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, In The Cage and Fly On A Windshield are tried and tested classics and then there's the more obscure but no less awesome stuff like The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging (Steve Hackett was a big fan of that tune, he did a similar piece called Carry On Up The Vicarage on his solo album Please Don't Touch), Counting Out Time, Lilywhite Lilth and The Lamia. The story is also very good you see some real crap put out as a concept album, the songs might be good but the stories are awful, if you can dephifer it The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway has one of the most interesting (And strange yes) narratives ever put to record.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 6 2008, 01:47 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 6 2008, 10:41 AM)

In the Cage
Back in N.Y.C.
The Colony of Slippermen

you dont like the title track? or Lillywhite Lilith?

Yes, once upon a time. The title track was played to death on the AOR station when I was in HS. Lilywhite Lilith I can't stomach anymore.

I just think if you are going to call it genius or a masterpiece, I'll give a blank stare. Maybe I grew out of it. sad.gif

It's weird because I stopped listening to Supper's Ready except for rare occasions, again, because I found myself getting sick of it. I didn't want that to happen so I put on the brakes.

However, The Battle of Epping Forest I would call one of Genesis' finest efforts (with Gabriel vox).

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 6 2008, 11:03 AM)

I just think if you are going to call it genius or a masterpiece, I'll give a blank stare. Maybe I grew out of it. sad.gif

It's weird because I stopped listening to Supper's Ready except for rare occasions, again, because I found myself getting sick of it. I didn't want that to happen so I put on the brakes.

However, The Battle of Epping Forest I would call one of Genesis' finest efforts (with Gabriel vox).

Fair Enough... and I think when you call it overrated and weak, I'll probably give you a disapproving stare. we'll just stare at each other from opposite ends of the room. ph34r.gif

For the record, "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight" is probably my "non Lamb" favorite from the Gabriel era.

Silly, silly little children.

As any REAL Genesis fan knows the ultimate Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis song is The Cinema Show. Don't try to dispute that. There are many other awesome pieces but that's #1. FACT! laugh.gif

Anyway... A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering is where it's really at. wink.gif

I recall a post years ago (on another Rush board) which asked us "What is the second best album of all time," because the poster felt the number one best was unquestionably LLDoB and no debating was allowed. laugh.gif

I voted "masterpiece," since that was the closest option. There is certainly some genius in it, including the overall story arc. But I also agree with this statement:

I think some of the "songs" are rather pointless

Ditto. This probably could've been a single album/disc if the superfluous stuff were removed.

I can take it or leave it, so I'd say "average". It seems out of place in the sequence of albums. "Trick of the Tail" seems the logical album to follow "Selling England by the Pound".

I usually just stick to "disk 2". I like:

Lillywhite Lillith

Waiting Room

Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats

Riding the Scree

It

I voted average.

HIGHLY overrated, but hardly garbage either.

Too ponderous, overlong and pompous for me. I've only managed to sit through the whole thing once or twice. Some great parts for sure, but overall it's kind of meh for me.

Selling England by the Pound was their masterpiece IMHO...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 6 2008, 02:54 PM)
I voted average.

Too ponderous, overlong and pompous for me.  I've only managed to sit through the whole thing once or twice.  Some great parts for sure, but overall it's kind of meh for me.

bumper.gif Huh,,,,,I thought Foxtrot was their peak personally.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 6 2008, 03:54 PM)
I voted average.

Too ponderous, overlong and pompous for me.  I've only managed to sit through the whole thing once or twice.  Some great parts for sure, but overall it's kind of meh for me.

Goobs chimes in with a reference to SEBTP. Will we hear some of this fine album on his radio show? Only rushgoober knows...

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 6 2008, 02:12 PM)
Anyway... A Trick Of The Tail and Wind & Wuthering is where it's really at. wink.gif

Huge fan of both of those right here. I don't care what the Genesis purists say. These are my #1 and #2 Genesis favs.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 6 2008, 09:33 PM)

Huge fan of both of those right here. I don't care what the Genesis purists say. These are my #1 and #2 Genesis favs.

Yeah. I even have a soft spot for Spot The Pigeon. But shhh! laugh.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 6 2008, 04:39 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 6 2008, 09:33 PM)

Yeah. I even have a soft spot for Spot The Pigeon. But shhh! laugh.gif

Yup, I'll have to hide for liking that one too.

Voted "Masterpiece." I had a LOT of trouble getting into this album. I always loved the opening track, but my interest tended to wane and disappear as it went on. One day, though, I realized I had "In the Cage" in my head, despite not having heard it in a few months. I started the album and it all suddenly "clicked. " I think I needed some familiarity with the rest of their catalogue before I could appreciate it. It was like watching a foreign film for the second time and suddenly noticing the production design and the direction and the quality of the acting, instead of just trying to keep up with the subtitles. It's hard to explain, but I was finally hearing the different sonic effects instead of a wall of prog-- like instead of just guitar and keyboards I could hear streets and creepy chambers and subways, and not just places but also feelings, like isolation and fear.

To me, it's the ultimate flowering of the Gabriel era-- it's head and shoulders above what they did before it (and that's no small thing, considering how great those albums are). It has a strange maturity and aural sophistication that the previous albums lack. I think that might partly be why it feels "out of place" to some listeners. The other factor is that it really came at a time when Peter was ready to leave the band and strike out on his own. There are points where it really reminds me of his solo work.

My first Genesis album and probably my favorite. None of the other album except Foxtrot are as consistant as this one. SEBTP is about 30% junk (More Fool Me definitely and both AtO and TBoEF have their spots but are still...meh). Still, I agree with the guy who said Cinema Show is their best though

Nearly every song on the Lamb is excellent, Raven, Silent Sorrow, and the Waiting Room are the only misses (imo) with the Super Natural Anesthetist being an excellent Hackett guitar solo.

Right now, I'm playing disk two. The tune I'm hearing as I write this is "here comes the supernatural anaesthetist".

There is a dreadful song on this disk but I don't know which one it is. I'll follow up when I get to it.

Archived