The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Rushman14

What do you think of "The Lamb"  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of "The Lamb"

• A Masterpiece
    • Overrated Garbage
    • Average

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 7 2008, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2008, 04:28 PM)
I remember Bill Bruford commenting that the music Genesis was doing had already been done before by Yes and King Crimson.

But he decided to play on Seconds Out anyway? unsure.gif

I guess so. The comment was in the Genesis biography that I bought recently.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2008, 11:28 AM)
I remember Bill Bruford commenting that the music Genesis was doing had already been done before by Yes and King Crimson.

Bruford was always full of himself.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 7 2008, 04:38 PM)

The more I read about that guy the less I like him as a person. I'd like to see where he thinks Yes and King Crimson wrote pieces that were anything like some of the stuff Genesis put out.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ May 7 2008, 11:43 AM)

The more I read about that guy the less I like him as a person. I'd like to see where he thinks Yes and King Crimson wrote pieces that were anything like some of the stuff Genesis put out.

I've always considered "The Lamb...." to be the Genesis version of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" which was out a year earlier.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2008, 08:45 AM)

I've always considered "The Lamb...." to be the Genesis version of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" which was out a year earlier.

I think Lamb is definitely more cohesive that Tales. Tales is a perfect example of over indulgent pompousness. Even Wakeman hated it. I like most of it but side 3 is tough to sit through.

Since there are only three choices, i'm voting masterpiece. Overall I've always liked The Lamb a lot. There are a few alright songs inbetween a whole bunch of great songs. The story was always a bit confusing and much for me, but that never got in the way of me enjoying that album.

I use to be into Genesis big time (no PG pun intended) in the 80's.. probably liked them more than Rush back in the day, but I rarely find myself playing a Genesis record nowadays. Probably last time I played Genesis was W&W a few months ago when I wanted to answer RK's poll question properly (and I rediscovered what a great album that is). I do recall taking The Lamb on a road trip last year though.. enjoyed it all, skipped no song. Through the weirdness and mad genius, I think it stands the test of time smile.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2008, 12:40 PM)

I think Lamb is definitely more cohesive that Tales. Tales is a perfect example of over indulgent pompousness. Even Wakeman hated it. I like most of it but side 3 is tough to sit through.

OMG...Tales is one of those albums that gave Prog Rock a bad name. I hardly ever listen to it myself. I think it single handedly started the Punk movement.

Actually, "Tales..." was and is one of the most sought after prog rock albums. It is definitely a Yes fan favorite. The only ones who panned it were critics.

By the way, I like Genesis very much. I just happen to be one of those who considers "The Lamb" to be not as good as their other works even though there are some great songs on it.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2008, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2008, 09:51 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 7 2008, 06:07 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2008, 06:53 AM)
Then we get to Lamb.  Suddenly I have to deal with two whole albums of the worst, most self-indulgent Peter Gabriel lyrics.  It's all the weakest aspects of Genesis magnified in one overblown epic.  With a double album, you just HAVE to keep the listener occupied with an interesting story, and I find myself with a profound uncaring about the story to the point that it's just boring.  A lot of the songs don't (and can't) stand up on their own because they're part of this crazy story that I could never make myself care about.  That said, again, Gabriel's got a great voice and the musicians are outstanding, so I could never call it crap, but then again calling it a masterpiece is an enormous stretch, at least IMHO...

I think the story/concept (A Trip Through Purgatory) is great, but could've been done on one album/disc... without all the mucky-muck.

It's the same problem with a LOT of double albums. It's just too stretched out, too much filler, too much messing around, and you really end up wishing they'd managed to compress it into one album. There have been several examples of double albums that are brilliant through and through, but this ain't one of 'em IMHO...

face it, goober bee, you're wrong. tongue.gif

thank you kelly for that well thought out and detailed rebuttal to my point of view on genesis. at last the scales have come off and i see the error of my ways. i have made a complete 180 degree shift and now see that i was wrong on all counts and that you are right. thank you for helping me to finally see the truth! yes.gif

tongue.gif

pokey.gif

bekloppt.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2008, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 7 2008, 06:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2008, 09:51 AM)
Then we get to Lamb.  Suddenly I have to deal with two whole albums of the worst, most self-indulgent Peter Gabriel lyrics.  It's all the weakest aspects of Genesis magnified in one overblown epic.  With a double album, you just HAVE to keep the listener occupied with an interesting story, and I find myself with a profound uncaring about the story to the point that it's just boring.  A lot of the songs don't (and can't) stand up on their own because they're part of this crazy story that I could never make myself care about.  That said, again, Gabriel's got a great voice and the musicians are outstanding, so I could never call it crap, but then again calling it a masterpiece is an enormous stretch, at least IMHO...

I think the story/concept (A Trip Through Purgatory) is great, but could've been done on one album/disc... without all the mucky-muck.

It's the same problem with a LOT of double albums. It's just too stretched out, too much filler, too much messing around, and you really end up wishing they'd managed to compress it into one album. There have been several examples of double albums that are brilliant through and through, but this ain't one of 'em IMHO...

face it, goober bee, you're wrong. tongue.gif

thank you kelly for that well thought out and detailed rebuttal to my point of view on genesis. at last the scales have come off and i see the error of my ways. i have made a complete 180 degree shift and now see that i was wrong on all counts and that you are right. thank you for helping me to finally see the truth! yes.gif

tongue.gif

pokey.gif

bekloppt.gif

I'm always right. cool.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 7 2008, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2008, 12:40 PM)

OMG...Tales is one of those albums that gave Prog Rock a bad name. I hardly ever listen to it myself. I think it single handedly started the Punk movement.

You poor, poor people. tongue.gif

Tales From Topographic Oceans is brilliant, genius, legendary, beautiful, epic - 80 minutes of musical nirvana and bliss.

The great thing about Tales From Topographic Oceans is it's really primarily about the music. Four twenty-minute songs where they are really able to stretch out musically with top musicians at the peak of their talents. I only wish Lamb had so much music in it instead of such belabored, ponderous, overwrought lyrics where the music seems to exist primarily just to serve the story.

A lot of people criticize the lyrics in Tales. I always thought they were beautiful - often surreal like Genesis, yes, but always spiritual and uplifting in a way that no other progressive rock group could touch except for the Moodies. And besides, compared to Lamb, the lyrics on Tales are minimal.

Admittedly, it took me years before I could really get into and enjoy Tales in its entirety, but once I saw the light I saw it big. It is so far and away the best thing Yes have ever created, and they created several wonderful albums.

Tales blows Lamb away.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ May 7 2008, 07:32 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2008, 01:51 PM)

Electric Light Orchestra's Out Of The Blue is the only double album I can think of that is good.

But that fits onto one cd.

Marbles by Marillion?

QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 7 2008, 04:54 PM)

Electric Light Orchestra's Out Of The Blue is the only double album I can think of that is good.

Marbles by Marillion?

Physical Graffiti by Zeppelin? maybe?

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2008, 05:11 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ May 7 2008, 04:54 PM)

Marbles by Marillion?

Physical Graffiti by Zeppelin? maybe?

some truly great ones:

The Beatles - The White Album

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

Can - Tago Mago

Amon Duul II - Yeti

Amon Duul II - Dance of the Lemmings

The Mothers of Invention - Freak Out!