Ask Treeduck boxing questions !

Tick

Why is boxing a sport???

:P

I use to watch with my Step Father for years but then I watched Boom Boom Mancini destroy Duk Koo Kim who died three days later and that changed everything for me. I was sickened by the death but just as equally I was disgusted of how Mancini was treated after that fight. It was like he was to blame. It was obvious the Ref blew it by not stopping the fight, that is not Mancini's responsibility. He lost sponsorship's and was only known from then on as the one who killed that Korean. They train and tell a guy to fight his best and then you criticize him for doing just that. That coupled with the obvious corruption such as Don King turned me off forever from it.

Well it's a sport because a lot of people can make money from it. It's always going to be about money. If there was no money in it there'd be no boxing. And where's the money coming from? People who want to see it. So as long as there's enough people out there that want to see it then it will be a viable sport.

That's not a great definition of what makes a thing a sport. Based on it everything you can make money on is a sport.

It may not be a good definition but it's the core truth.

Money is what makes it viable as a professional sport, which I think is what you were getting at.

1. What do you think of Professionals boxing against amateurs in the Rio Games?

2. Is Anthony Joshua the "Real Deal".

3. Have you seen the brilliant documentary "Soul Power" which was about the music festival that

took place in Zaire to coincide with the @Rumble in the Jungle"

1. What do you think of Professionals boxing against amateurs in the Rio Games?

2. Is Anthony Joshua the "Real Deal".

3. Have you seen the brilliant documentary "Soul Power" which was about the music festival that

took place in Zaire to coincide with the @Rumble in the Jungle"

1. I think it's a bad idea. You might get a few good amateurs beating some pro boxers but imagine a really top pro with power against some 17 year old kid, they'd probably get killed. Not only that but it's taking away a chance for an amateur that those pros already had. At least two pro boxing governing bodies have imposed 2 year band on any top 15 fighter who competes there.

2. I think he is but he's only had 17 fights in a 2 and half year pro career, and normally you'd still be working your way up the ladder. We'll soon find out though because his deal with Showtime means he will have to step up the opponents pretty soon.

3. Yeah that's a great documentary.

• Like 1

I have as question for you ducky. Are you watching Porter/Thurman?

What a fight. Can't believe I am watching it for free!!

Yeah I watched the fight. I thought Porter should have got a little more credit for what he did. He had Thurman pinned on the ropes for long periods and Thurman only landed three or four big shots in those rounds. It wasn't a bad decision though it could have gone either way or even been a draw.

Sorry I just saw this.

Thurman has a good chin and I agree that the fight was closer than the judges thought it was. I like both fighters and I hope they fight again.

Don't think I've ever asked any questions in here so ill try a few.

Try these duck:

(1) Have you ever thought about taking up boxing? If you do/did box, when did you take it up?

(2) Which boxer's story would make a great movie?

(3) Who would be in your top 5 boxers of all-time list?

(1) I didn't ever take up boxing but I've done a little boxing training but I don't consider it proper boxing though of course.

(2) Well they've just made one about Roberto Duran starring Robert De Niro so I'd like to see what that's like. It's out in August.

(3) That's a difficult one, I like Ali obviously, also I'm a big fan of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

No Floyd? Was there ever a better defensive boxer?

Yeah I watched the fight. I thought Porter should have got a little more credit for what he did. He had Thurman pinned on the ropes for long periods and Thurman only landed three or four big shots in those rounds. It wasn't a bad decision though it could have gone either way or even been a draw.

Sorry I just saw this.

Thurman has a good chin and I agree that the fight was closer than the judges thought it was. I like both fighters and I hope they fight again.

Well Porter isn't really a huge puncher actually and he smothers his own work at times, so we're not really sure how good Thurman's chin is yet. He's certainly not got a glass chin though or anything.

They could do a rematch, I think Thurman has a mandatory challenge next.

Try these duck:

(1) Have you ever thought about taking up boxing? If you do/did box, when did you take it up?

(1) I didn't ever take up boxing but I've done a little boxing training but I don't consider it proper boxing though of course.

(2) Well they've just made one about Roberto Duran starring Robert De Niro so I'd like to see what that's like. It's out in August.

(3) That's a difficult one, I like Ali obviously, also I'm a big fan of Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

I think those guys would beat Floyd, it's hard to judge though.

Try these duck:

Well Hagler was a middle weight no? If I remember correctly, Leonard and Hearns both came up in weight to fight him. I am not sure Floyd could handle the kind of pressure and power that Hagler brought. Leonard and Floyd would have been boring as shit. Floyd vs Tommy Hearns would have been a great fight.

Still. Floyd has a great chin and is hard to hit. I think he could have battled with those guys.

Sorry I just saw this.

Well Porter isn't really a huge puncher actually and he smothers his own work at times, so we're not really sure how good Thurman's chin is yet. He's certainly not got a glass chin though or anything.

There are a ton of good match ups to be had and welterweight right now.

Sorry I just saw this.

What do you think of Brook going up from 147 to 160 to fight Triple G?

Try these duck:

Well Hagler was a middle weight no? If I remember correctly, Leonard and Hearns both came up in weight to fight him. I am not sure Floyd could handle the kind of pressure and power that Hagler brought. Leonard and Floyd would have been boring as shit. Floyd vs Tommy Hearns would have been a great fight.

Still. Floyd has a great chin and is hard to hit. I think he could have battled with those guys.

They were all bigger than Floyd, don't forget he started off at 130 and these aren't fighters like Berto and Canelo and Guerrero these were great fighters.

Sorry I just saw this.

I think he will struggle with it but I know you think he can do it. I am looking forward to that one.

Try these duck:

They were all bigger than Floyd, don't forget he started off at 130 and these aren't fighters like Berto and Canelo and Guerrero these were great fighters.

Yeah but Floyd grew into his body and I think he was solid at 147. I don't think he could have (or would have even tried to) handled Hagler.

I was always a little bored by Leonard. He fought just like Floyd but I think Floyd had quicker hands and reflexes. I think it would be a boring fight.

Hearns on the other hand, could punch and box. Tommy Hearns vs Floyd Maywhether when they were both in their prime, would have been a great fight.

Sorry I just saw this.

I think he will struggle with it but I know you think he can do it. I am looking forward to that one.

I mean I'm assuming he's going to be a better fighter at the higher weight, he walks around at 180 so he won't have to cut so much weight. Also I think he's a more skilled boxer than GGG but it depends on whether he can handle his power and whether his own power can do some damage to Golovkin. And it depends on who can impose their style on the other, Triple G with educated pressure and Brook with movement, speed, accuracy and punch selection.

Sorry I just saw this.

I mean I'm assuming he's going to be a better fighter at the higher weight, he walks around at 180 so he won't have to cut so much weight. Also I think he's a more skilled boxer than GGG but it depends on whether he can handle his power and whether his own power can do some damage to Golovkin. And it depends on who can impose their style on the other, Triple G with educated pressure and Brook with movement, speed, accuracy and punch selection.

Is he really that big naturally?

Try these duck:

Yeah but Floyd grew into his body and I think he was solid at 147. I don't think he could have (or would have even tried to) handled Hagler.

I was always a little bored by Leonard. He fought just like Floyd but I think Floyd had quicker hands and reflexes. I think it would be a boring fight.

Hearns on the other hand, could punch and box. Tommy Hearns vs Floyd Maywhether when they were both in their prime, would have been a great fight.

I think he would have struggled with the height and reach of Hearns and the KO power. Hagler would have been too big for him. I think Leonard would have used both his speed and physicality to grind Mayweather down. Duran was much trickier than he appeared and had KO power and was a beast!

Try these duck:

I think he would have struggled with the height and reach of Hearns and the KO power. Hagler would have been too big for him. I think Leonard would have used both his speed and physicality to grind Mayweather down. Duran was much trickier than he appeared and had KO power and was a beast!

Yeah, its hard to try figure out how they would play out.

Sorry I just saw this.

Is he really that big naturally?

Well he's probably slightly overweight at 180 especially 8 weeks from the fight, but at 160 he'll look ripped, you'll see at the weigh-in. He'll basically look like always looks at welterweight only bigger and more powerful. On fight night at welterweight he would probably be close to 160 for this fight on the night he'll be near 175.

OK I just watched the Hearns/Duran fight again and yeah, Floyd would have been no match.

It's funny how you forget the details of the old fights.

Yeah that punch could have knocked down a horse. Duran never got knocked out like that or even stopped before or after, not until he was about 50 years old and even then he wasn't poleaxed like that.

OK I just watched the Hearns/Duran fight again and yeah, Floyd would have been no match.

Yeah that punch could have knocked down a horse. Duran never got knocked out like that or even stopped before or after, not until he was about 50 years old and even then he wasn't poleaxed like that.

Am watching hearns/leonard 1 now. The early eighties were a great time for boxing.
  • Like 2

Am watching hearns/leonard 1 now. The early eighties were a great time for boxing.

I watched the Hearns-Duran fight myself. I was laughing at the banter at the end between Hearns and Hagler.