Fly By Night

fishguy622

My favorite rush song is Fly By Night and I was wondering why they never play it in concert? I'll be seeing them this summer for the first time, don't ask me why it took this long to see them but I can't wait. I've seen the set lists going back to 1979 and that seems to be the last time they played it in concert.

Mike

It's one of my favorites too and they do seem to look past that album altogether, with the exception of By-Tor and the Snowdog on the VT tour.

There are a lot of Rush songs that fans love but that Rush don't enjoy playing. "Fly By Night" might be one of those songs. Also, have you heard Geddy Lee's voice lately? I don't think he can get away with singing "Fly By Night" that easily. I imagine it's a very difficult song for him to sing at this point in his career.

Oh yeah, enjoy the show!!!

Edited by ReRushed

yeah, i have to admit to never particularly liking that song considering it's importance during that time period. i love the lyrics and i really identify with what Neil was talking about. it's the guitar part that i have never particularly dug, it's just kinda simple and derivative for me. i don't think Alex really came into his own as a guitar player until AFTK and after. i would think it's a combination of Geddy's vocal range and Alex's dislike for the tune as the reason it doesn't get played.

I LOVE Alex's opening riff of this song. It's just classic.

Right up there with Limelight.

I think if they threw it in for an encore, it could work, even if Geddy would have to rephrase his notes on it to fit his register....

QUOTE (2112th Man @ Apr 17 2008, 09:49 AM)
I LOVE Alex's opening riff of this song. It's just classic.
Right up there with Limelight.
I think if they threw it in for an encore, it could work, even if Geddy would have to rephrase his notes on it to fit his register....

I believe Geddy wrote the riff. Also, Alex's name does not appear on the writing credits.

The band really doesn't like that song. It's kind of fun but it is pretty primitive in terms of writing. It's plainly obvious the reason they don't play it is because they don't want to not because Geddy can't sing it. They haven't played any of it since the A Farewell to Kings tour and they haven't played the full version since the Caress of Steel tour.

Thanks for all the replies, my first Rush album was "All The Worlds a Stage" and Fly By Night had me at the intro. It would be nice to hear it but I'll survive with anything they play. I already listened to Snakes & Arrows Live 3 times and can't wait until July when I see them.

Mike

I love this song and would enjoy it live, but there are much others I from the first two albums that I would love to see live. Between, Beneath, Behind, Anthem, In the End, Finding my way, What you're doing, Working Man (I know some people would rather see others since it has been played on the past two tours but I would LOVE to see this one live!)

QUOTE (CarlosPerez @ Apr 17 2008, 08:55 PM)
WHAT? Vocals on live are awful, yes. Listen for it.

You would like Rush to play "Fly By Night" instead of "Far Cry", correct? If so, how the heck do you think Geddy Lee can pull it off if you think he's vocals are so poor now? confused13.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 17 2008, 07:58 PM)
QUOTE (CarlosPerez @ Apr 17 2008, 08:55 PM)
WHAT? Vocals on live are awful, yes. Listen for it.

You would like Rush to play "Fly By Night" instead of "Far Cry", correct? If so, how the heck do you think Geddy Lee can pull it off if you think he's vocals are so poor now? confused13.gif

Thats what I was going to say!

Why would Rush pull their lead single and album opener from S&A to play FBN? Thats insane. Whether Geddy can sing it or not, it is simply too 'dated' sounding compared to their other vintage stuff. I always thought it would be cool though, if they played Fly By Night/Bacchus Plateau/Something For Nothing in the encore.

beathorse.gif

Fly By Night was the song that made me decide to buy their back catalog when I heard it on the radio. This was when Grace Under Pressure was only a few months old since it's release date.

I'm gonna guess there's 2 reasons why they haven't done it in so long. 1st, they would have to transpose it down as much as even a 5th. Maybe a 3rd, but since it was in the "upper register" to begin with, I'm betting on a 5th.

2nd, if you watched the documentary disc from Rush In Rio, you'll remember Ged saying something to the effect of there are certain songs they would never play again. (Paraphrasing) "I'm sorry, I apologize, but there's no way I can play that song ever again!"

But then again, like with everyone who's responded to this..."Your guess is as good as mine!"