Judas Priest - Nostradamus

treeduck

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 27 2008, 10:19 AM)
Personally I don't care. Never have been a fan, about four songs aside.

I dunno how you can't be a fan of Priest, but then I'm a Priest maniac!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I don't remember AoR receiving as bad a response as Nostradamus is now, and that's shocking.

Aside from Judas Rising, Hellrider, and maybe Demonizer, the album was nothing special whatsoever. The new album has plenty of great tracks on both discs: Prophecy, Revelations, Pestilence & Plague, Death, Conquest, Persecution, Exiled, Visions, Nostradamus, and Future of Mankind.

Considering the length of those songs, that's pretty strong. The album does suffer the double-album curse of being slow in some areas, but the rest rips it up, IMO.

In fact, I remember reading reviews around the time that AoR came out, and one said that Loch Ness achieved an eerie-like quality comparable to No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, and most people hated that song.

I applaud JP for coming out with something that still has balls. Yes, it has its cheese, and it has its slower parts, but it's a great concept album at a time when concept albums aren't exactly the norm.

QUOTE (HemispheresserehpsimeH @ Jun 27 2008, 04:56 PM)
I don't remember AoR receiving as bad a response as Nostradamus is now, and that's shocking.

Aside from Judas Rising, Hellrider, and maybe Demonizer, the album was nothing special whatsoever. The new album has plenty of great tracks on both discs: Prophecy, Revelations, Pestilence & Plague, Death, Conquest, Persecution, Exiled, Visions, Nostradamus, and Future of Mankind.

Considering the length of those songs, that's pretty strong. The album does suffer the double-album curse of being slow in some areas, but the rest rips it up, IMO.

In fact, I remember reading reviews around the time that AoR came out, and one said that Loch Ness achieved an eerie-like quality comparable to No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, and most people hated that song.

I applaud JP for coming out with something that still has balls. Yes, it has its cheese, and it has its slower parts, but it's a great concept album at a time when concept albums aren't exactly the norm.

I think people who are very outspoken about this album in the negative are a lot of the same people who were negative about AoR. I think a lot of these people have made up their minds that Judas Priest post-Painkiller are a spent force, whether they are or not, so whatever kind of album Priest came out with, they'd slam it.

I'd agree with that. I'm not trying to say that it's their best either. I mean, not everyone will like it. However, expecting another Painkiller from Priest is about as likely as another 2112 from Rush. It's expecting a little too much at that point in their careers.

Thus, I tend to think that a double-disc effort with the songs that I mentioned is an incredible feat for a band that has been around as long as JP has.

QUOTE (Rush Man @ Jun 28 2008, 08:54 AM)
All hail to the Metal Gods.

yes.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 30 2008, 10:03 PM)
Half way through, and so far only the guitar work impresses me.

Halford has definitely lost a step. A little too much orchestration for my taste as well. Good mood setting at times.

More as I listen to the rest.

Really? I think Halford sounds really good here. A lot better than AoR at least.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jul 1 2008, 01:14 AM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 30 2008, 09:27 AM)
well it's official. I'm addicted to Nostradamus!  1022.gif

that was easy yes.gif eh.gif

I thought you were a Priest fan Davey??

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jun 30 2008, 08:03 PM)

Halford has definitely lost a step. A little too much orchestration for my taste as well. Good mood setting at times.

Just listen to "Persecution", the last track on disc 1, and tell me Rob doesn't sound awesome. 1022.gif

rob kick's ass on this album 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 1 2008, 01:12 PM)

Halford has definitely lost a step.  A little too much orchestration for my taste as well.  Good mood setting at times. 

Just listen to "Persecution", the last track on disc 1, and tell me Rob doesn't sound awesome. 1022.gif

He does sound his best there.

I've delved farther into it, and it's just too symphonic. Sometimes, it comes out nice and spooky. Other times, it's overkill. It's a decent effort, and a good choice for a conceptual piece.

One question does nag me a bit:

Where's the bottom end?

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jul 3 2008, 07:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 1 2008, 01:12 PM)

Halford has definitely lost a step.  A little too much orchestration for my taste as well.  Good mood setting at times. 

He does sound his best there.

I've delved farther into it, and it's just too symphonic. Sometimes, it comes out nice and spooky. Other times, it's overkill. It's a decent effort, and a good choice for a conceptual piece.

One question does nag me a bit:

Where's the bottom end?

I do agree the bass guitar and kick drum are lacking.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Feb 10 2010, 04:38 PM)
OK, it's been about a year and a half now....

How does Nostradamus hold up against classic Priest, and by that I mean pre-Turbo?

Thanks....

It's very solid, but not one I listen to as much as the old Priest stuff...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 10 2010, 04:49 PM)
It's very solid, but not one I listen to as much as the old Priest stuff...

Yes . The best thing they have done since Painkiller

I actually finally got this a few weeks ago. Listened to it once , and it didnt impress me. I will have to give a few more spins. I just dont like the new sound they have. Something about it that just annoys me. Ill check back when i take it in more..

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Feb 10 2010, 05:44 PM)
I actually finally got this a few weeks ago. Listened to it once , and it didnt impress me. I will have to give a few more spins. I just dont like the new sound they have. Something about it that just annoys me. Ill check back when i take it in more..

a year and a half later I think it should have been a single disc.