Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 14 2012, 01:50 AM)
I like the last three more than In Absentia. Though I haven't listened to it nearly as much. I'm thinking of trying Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

good decision - sure they will get you wink.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Apr 13 2012, 07:56 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Apr 14 2012, 01:50 AM)
I like the last three more than In Absentia. Though I haven't listened to it nearly as much. I'm thinking of trying Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream.

good decision - sure they will get you wink.gif

Agreed. I was lucky to find Lightbulb Sun in a Best Buy on my birthday one year and to this day it remains one of my favorite PT albums.

On the Porcupine Tree forums, someone mentioned that KScope is releasing a pair of brand new SW related releases later this year

Steven Wilson - Live in Mexico Blu-ray
Porcupine Tree - Live 2cd+dvd

Now the first title is an obvious gimme since he's been pretty open about it but the 2nd one's the one I'm more interested in. Now the title implies that the CDs aren't limited edition only (which means this'll be the first time since Coma Divine where a live album is readily available). Now the DVD was shot in Chicago in 2010 but it's anyone's guess as to what's in the 2CDs. I think it's either it's the entire Chicago show on audio, the full RCMH/RAH show, or it's going to be the full Incident set on one disc and the best bits of the RCMH/RAH shows on the other disc.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 28 2012, 05:32 AM)
On the Porcupine Tree forums, someone mentioned that KScope is releasing a pair of brand new SW related releases later this year

Now the first title is an obvious gimme since he's been pretty open about it but the 2nd one's the one I'm more interested in. Now the title implies that the CDs aren't limited edition only (which means this'll be the first time since Coma Divine where a live album is readily available). Now the DVD was shot in Chicago in 2010 but it's anyone's guess as to what's in the 2CDs. I think it's either it's the entire Chicago show on audio, the full RCMH/RAH show, or it's going to be the full Incident set on one disc and the best bits of the RCMH/RAH shows on the other disc.

Sounds good.

You'd better be right. My wife wonders why I am salivating, and I'm not in the mood for her getting frisky.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 28 2012, 04:49 AM)
QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ Apr 28 2012, 05:32 AM)

Sounds good.

You'd better be right. My wife wonders why I am salivating, and I'm not in the mood for her getting frisky.

The guy who's reporting this on the PT Forums says the news came from the Quadraphonic Quad forums and that he got it from the latest KScope flyers that come with new releases from the label. I don't know which albums exactly have this new flyer but I have no reason to doubt its legitimacy cause I've seen similar flyers with every SW release I get on CD/DVD. Looking in the QQ forums, I noticed SW recently did a Q&A but I think it's just coincidence since this happened after the Q&A.

I had the pleasure of running in to Danny from Anathema the other night at the Shepard's Bush gig and he was telling me that he'd spoken to PT's manager. He told Danny that in his opinion (and that's the important part here, folks!), Porcupine Tree won't ever get back together.
Danny also said "I think we witnessed the end of Porcupine Tree tonight." And honestly, after seeing Steven in solo form - I have to agree. Musically, in my opinion of course, it's on it's way to surpassing PT and on stage Steven seemed overall more relaxed, happy and free compared to any PT show I've ever seen.

QUOTE (friendlyfloridian @ May 17 2012, 01:26 PM)
I actually enjoy what SW is doing these days.

Wish I could say the same.

And thanks for the good news Tony.

I was just thinking about the PT roller coaster ride I had been on. I didn't like them much at first, then I got into them heavy, then The Incident came out and I didn't want to believe the ride was over. Now it seems SW is saying "Time to get of the ride, but I have a much slower and boring ride for you to hop on."

Just because SW is having a blast doing a project doesn't mean he is gonna pull a Mike Portnoy and impulsively quite his main band. He has always been able to juggle multiple projects at once, and I doubt he is about to bail on the band that he himself created and one that is basically his creative vision. PT's hiatus might go on longer than many of us would like, but he'll find his way back there eventually. In the meantime, he continues to give us great music, just under different names than Porcupine Tree.

QUOTE (Tony R @ May 17 2012, 12:23 PM)

I had the pleasure of running in to Danny from Anathema the other night at the Shepard's Bush gig and he was telling me that he'd spoken to PT's manager. He told Danny that in his opinion (and that's the important part here, folks!), Porcupine Tree won't ever get back together.
Danny also said "I think we witnessed the end of Porcupine Tree tonight." And honestly, after seeing Steven in solo form - I have to agree. Musically, in my opinion of course, it's on it's way to surpassing PT and on stage Steven seemed overall more relaxed, happy and free compared to any PT show I've ever seen.

I might be mistaken but I think that's an old quote that was refuted by SW himself a while back. Don't have time to do the research at the moment but it was someone who overheard part of a conversation, as I recall.

QUOTE (The K Man @ May 17 2012, 02:14 PM)
Just because SW is having a blast doing a project doesn't mean he is gonna pull a Mike Portnoy and impulsively quite his main band. He has always been able to juggle multiple projects at once, and I doubt he is about to bail on the band that he himself created and one that is basically his creative vision. PT's hiatus might go on longer than many of us would like, but he'll find his way back there eventually. In the meantime, he continues to give us great music, just under different names than Porcupine Tree.

goodpost.gif

Completely agree. Plus he hasn't left No-man and they've been around longer that PT.

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 17 2012, 03:30 PM)

I might be mistaken but I think that's an old quote that was refuted by SW himself a while back. Don't have time to do the research at the moment but it was someone who overheard part of a conversation, as I recall.

No, the old quote was from a fan who ran into the manager at the NYC show. I think the manager said something similar. Both the manager and SW refuted the statement and Wilson has said that they're not breaking up. Even if they do, I wouldn't really mind since I loved GFD so much. And I think the reason why he's taking a break from PT is because he wanted to add more jazz elements to his music and he said in an interview that one member of Porcupine Tree hates jazz (probably Barbieri).

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ May 17 2012, 02:07 PM)
I've been listening to Fear of A Blank Planet today. Man, what a great album that is! One of the best albums I've ever heard.

It is one of PT's best releases. In Absentia still ranks highest, but from Signify through FOABP, they could do no wrong with me.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ May 17 2012, 07:53 PM)

No, the old quote was from a fan who ran into the manager at the NYC show. I think the manager said something similar. Both the manager and SW refuted the statement and Wilson has said that they're not breaking up. Even if they do, I wouldn't really mind since I loved GFD so much. And I think the reason why he's taking a break from PT is because he wanted to add more jazz elements to his music and he said in an interview that one member of Porcupine Tree hates jazz (probably Barbieri).

He would be the only one who hates jazz if any. Colin and Gavin have jazz and soul in their playing style and could probably rip some great stuff.

Agreed on all fronts here. Though I'm disappointed that we won't see another Porcupine Tree album in the near future, I think it's equally important to know that Steven realizes he's on a creative roll right now. We have to let him ride that wave for as long as he wants. I'm excited to hear what he comes up with. Besides, you also have projects like No-Man, Blackfield and Bass Communion that are still active. He might be throwing ideas around for No-Man for all we know.

I just don't see Wilson completely leaving Porcupine Tree. On top of probably being his main source of income, PT is Steven's baby. He's not the type to just completely abandon a project unless he sees no future in it. Obviously Steven sees some type of future for Porcupine Tree, but he doesn't know what it is just yet. All we can do is wait.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 17 2012, 06:55 PM)

He would be the only one who hates jazz if any. Colin and Gavin have jazz and soul in their playing style and could probably rip some great stuff.

Without a doubt it's Richard who hates jazz. I'm no expert in his back catalog of music (outside of PT and Japan), but all evidence of his discography points to him as the jazz hater. His approach/playing style with PT and Japan also proves Wilson's point. And by popular belief, it's Richard who Steven describes as the moaner of the band based on an interview he did for Download 2010 (although he refused to name the moaner like he refuses to name the jazz hater).

QUOTE (Oracle @ May 17 2012, 07:24 PM)
Just because SW is having a blast doing a project doesn't mean he is gonna pull a Mike Portnoy and impulsively quite his main band.  He has always been able to juggle multiple projects at once, and I doubt he is about to bail on the band that he himself created and one that is basically his creative vision.  PT's hiatus might go on longer than many of us would like, but he'll find his way back there eventually. In the meantime, he continues to give us great music, just under different names than Porcupine Tree.

Agreed on all fronts here. Though I'm disappointed that we won't see another Porcupine Tree album in the near future, I think it's equally important to know that Steven realizes he's on a creative roll right now. We have to let him ride that wave for as long as he wants. I'm excited to hear what he comes up with. Besides, you also have projects like No-Man, Blackfield and Bass Communion that are still active. He might be throwing ideas around for No-Man for all we know.

I just don't see Wilson completely leaving Porcupine Tree. On top of probably being his main source of income, PT is Steven's baby. He's not the type to just completely abandon a project unless he sees no future in it. Obviously Steven sees some type of future for Porcupine Tree, but he doesn't know what it is just yet. All we can do is wait.

Why is it obvious Wilson sees a future for the band?

1) He stopped the PT bandwagon at a creative and commercial high point. That seems a very strange thing to do, build so much impetus and then stop completely with no definitive start up date.

2)The next album constantly being pushed back and any info that has been shared is very vague

3)PT's MANAGER, no less quoted twice allegedly saying future unclear/no plans

4)Wilson is clearly enjoying having the freedom to do exactly what he wants

Plus, the other guys in the band can't wait forever for PT to start up again and may well be involved with other projects if SW wants to reconvene, which I think he doesn't.

The next edition of carbon nation will be the last, as there is not as much to write about since PT went on hiatus

PT forum is very quiet in comparison to what it was a few years ago, although this isn't confined to just that forum, to be fair.

My best guess is that the band has served its purpose and

bought SW the commercial freedom he needs to do his own thing

If anything, all the clues point to PT being finished- and l suspect that SW is being cute here, as my belief is that should he announce the demise of PT, he would alienate a huge chunk of his fan base who would spit out their dummies because their allegiance is primarily to PT and not SW.

It is very obvious King Crimson had a huge impact on SW, especially in the solo realm, but not so much in the funky time sigs, just the weirdness.

QUOTE (PolarizeMe @ May 17 2012, 10:22 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ May 17 2012, 06:55 PM)

Without a doubt it's Richard who hates jazz. I'm no expert in his back catalog of music (outside of PT and Japan), but all evidence of his discography points to him as the jazz hater. His approach/playing style with PT and Japan also proves Wilson's point. And by popular belief, it's Richard who Steven describes as the moaner of the band based on an interview he did for Download 2010 (although he refused to name the moaner like he refuses to name the jazz hater).

Both Gavin and Colin are jazz fusion players, so it has to be Barbieri.

But even though PT has some slightly jazzy elements.

I can't wait to see another SW solo album, the first two are superb!! I have a feeling that he'll get this period of (solo) creativity out of his system and start writing again for PT after the third album (possibly during that tour). The guy is a workaholic and can't sit still on one project for too long without feeling the need to expand in another area.

He says PT isn't over and I believe him. Everyone else is just speculating.

Then again...I'd like to see a Storm Corrosion II cool.gif