Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2009, 06:00 PM)
Thanks to Sully Sue I'm a new member of the club. I previously owned Stupid Dream. Now I have 3 more. I am currently absorbing Fear Of A Blank Planet over the past week. Although I find the lyrics quite dark, I find the album quite good overall. More to come...

Hey! Get back to the DT thread.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 18 2009, 08:32 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 18 2009, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Nov 18 2009, 05:00 PM)
Thanks to Sully Sue I'm a new member of the club. I previously owned Stupid Dream. Now I have 3 more. I am currently absorbing Fear Of A Blank Planet over the past week. Although I find the lyrics quite dark, I find the album quite good overall. More to come...

1022.gif way to go Sully Sue!

you are in for one hell of a ride tick. my fave is deadwing.

smile.gif

Nice P Tree pic, Sue. yes.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 19 2009, 03:00 PM)
I know Im sounding like a broken record here, but have any of you newbies tried any early PT yet?

If so, what? and How did you like it?

Nah dude, soon though. The comp is def on my list. I have a feeling that stuff is gonna take quite a few more listens if you get my drift. Difficult but not impossible biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 18 2009, 09:00 PM)
I know Im sounding like a broken record here, but have any of you newbies tried any early PT yet?

My brother lent me ...On the Sunday of Life. It's the most Ben Reed non-Ben Reed music I've ever heard. I recommended it to Ben Reed and he listened to Tarquin's Seaweed Farm instead. (Which I haven't heard.) He didn't like it. Furthermore, he's scared of me showing him more Porcupine Tree because he hates Japan, Richard Barbieri's old band.

I LOVE ...On the Sunday of Life. It's brilliant music, and I like how it's more varied than your average Porcupine Tree record. There are some albums I like more, and some I like less, but all of them are at least a 9/10 for me. (That I've heard, anyways.)

QUOTE (Finbar @ Nov 19 2009, 08:56 PM)

My brother lent me ...On the Sunday of Life. It's the most Ben Reed non-Ben Reed music I've ever heard. I recommended it to Ben Reed and he listened to Tarquin's Seaweed Farm instead. (Which I haven't heard.) He didn't like it. Furthermore, he's scared of me showing him more Porcupine Tree because he hates Japan, Richard Barbieri's old band.

I LOVE ...On the Sunday of Life. It's brilliant music, and I like how it's more varied than your average Porcupine Tree record. There are some albums I like more, and some I like less, but all of them are at least a 9/10 for me. (That I've heard, anyways.)

Actually, from my understanding, "On the Sunday of Life" was actually a compilation of the better songs off of "Tarquin's Seaweed Farm", and "The Nostalgia Factory" which were originally cassettes that Steven Wilson released by himself under the name "Porcupine Tree"...

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 20 2009, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Nov 19 2009, 08:56 PM)

Actually, from my understanding, "On the Sunday of Life" was actually a compilation of the better songs off of "Tarquin's Seaweed Farm", and "The Nostalgia Factory" which were originally cassettes that Steven Wilson released by himself under the name "Porcupine Tree"...

Yes that's correct. But back then, Steven Wilson WAS Porcupine Tree. And he continued to be so even when he got his band, which was originally just a touring band.

And of course, even now, Porcupine Tree and Porcupine Tree's touring band are two different things. Because the band is a four-piece, but live they play with John Wesley as well (whose only contribution on any of the albums is backing vocals on Fear of a Blank Planet) who, to my understanding, has been playing live with the band since Gavin Harrison joined.

...On the Sunday of Life isn't JUST a compilation. SOME of the songs are re-recorded. Like one or two, I think. And even if it's a compilation in the way it was put together, it's still the first released album by Porcupine Tree. It counts.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 23 2009, 07:24 PM)
Steven Wilson is featured in the January 2010 issue of Guitar Player Magazine. I tried to get a link to the online article, but I guess it won't be on the website for a while.

He and PT are also heavily featured in the Dec. 2009 issue of Sound & Vision, which IMO is the best home theater enthusiast magazine. There are three articles: one about the surround releases of The Incident and the three classic King Crimson albums which Steven remixed, an interview with Steven about his approach to remixing those Crimson albums, and one written by Steven himself about which classic albums he'd love to see remixed in multichannel surround (including Moving Pictures).

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 2 2009, 10:17 AM)
bumper.gif

I am listening to my first Porcupine Tree right now.....So far I have listened to Revenant, and The Sound of Muzak. Right now I'm listening to Hatesong.

HOLY CRAP these guys are really, really good!

1022.gif yes.gif common001.gif cool10.gif

The Sound of Muzak is one of my favorites. Glad you are getting into PT.

PT have been compared to Pink Floyd in the past, and a lot of people mention the similarities to this day.

I have to agree, both bands have a kind of psychedelic feel to them, but I know Steven Wilson himself doesn't like the label.

Not that he doesn't like Floyd, he just wants to do his own thing and not be slapped with a label by critics and listeners.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 2 2009, 11:24 AM)
Not that he doesn't like Floyd, he just wants to do his own thing and not be slapped with a label by critics and listeners.

That's typical of any artist I suppose.

By the way, the way this group harmonizes reminds me of a 70s band....kind of CSNY but I thought of Moody Blues or Yes as well. Can't quite put my finger on it.....