Official Porcupine Tree Thread

Rush!

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 29 2009, 08:49 PM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 28 2009, 02:33 PM)
I only recently started listening to PT. I had heard of them a few times in the past, but I can't remember if I ever gave them a listen. Well, a few weeks ago, after reading through this thread, I bought the Deadwing album. I was totally blown away! These guys are very good. In addition to Deadwing, I have FOBP, In Absentia, The Incident, and Stupid Dream. I'll be adding to that list soon.

Thanks to all of you who made recommendations and gave their opinions. If it wasn't for this thread, I might not have ever given PT a listen.

Make sure you check them out live when they probably come to your area on next leg of tour trink39.gif

I certainly will. I almost had the opportunity to see them a few weeks ago in NYC, but it didn't work out.

Definitely next time...

QUOTE (Steevo @ Nov 2 2009, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 3 2009, 08:09 AM)
PT announced dates in Australia for February:

Feb. 5 - Brisbane, The Tivoli
Feb. 6 - Sydney, Enmore Theatre
Feb. 7 - Melborne, Palace Theatre

http://porcupinetree.com/tour.cfm

Holy shit, thanks Stacey ohmy.gif ...serious consideration to make the jump over the "ditch" then cat.gif

Well... I would HOPE SO!

Lucky duck. sad.gif

I've had Voyage 34 for a really long time, but never listened to it. I suppose I thought it'd be too much like The Sky Moves Sideways, which I do not like at all. It makes me sleepy. But, Voyage 34 is actually really cool. It's different.

I guess Brian won't be doing LSD any more. no.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 11:16 AM)
I've had Voyage 34 for a really long time, but never listened to it. I suppose I thought it'd be too much like The Sky Moves Sideways, which I do not like at all. It makes me sleepy. But, Voyage 34 is actually really cool. It's different.

I guess Brian won't be doing LSD any more. no.gif

Glad i stopped at voyage 33!

the music is cool but the narration to me is weak.

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 6 2009, 10:40 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 11:16 AM)

I guess Brian won't be doing LSD any more.  no.gif

Glad i stopped at voyage 33!

the music is cool but the narration to me is weak.

Yeah, it is wearing a little thin on my nerves right now. wacko.gif

But, it makes me appreciate the origins of the whole Porcupine Tree thing. I'm really, really glad he decided to make it a band and not keep it a sampling, drum machine, weird voice overs deal.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 01:02 PM)
Ug. I made it through the whole thing. No mas. no.gif

I'm gonna listen to some Opeth now. laugh.gif

I love Opeth...just hate the cookie monster vox.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:02 PM)
Ug. I made it through the whole thing. No mas. no.gif

I'm gonna listen to some Opeth now. laugh.gif

1022.gif I only have one Opeth release but I love it. What a great voice.

Truth be told I have only listened to one disc the last week and a half. The new BTBAM is just amazing and i have finally digested it fully.

Time to give The Incident a few more listens....

QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 6 2009, 11:17 AM)
Ug. I made it through the whole thing. No mas.  no.gif

I'm gonna listen to some Opeth now.  laugh.gif

Yeah, and I don't get why he does it that way. He has a freaking AMAZING voice. It's going to take me a while to not laugh when I'm listening to them. It's really goofy to me. But, the music is so damned good, I'm willing to take the time to build up a tolerance.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:21 PM)
QUOTE (Gompers @ Nov 6 2009, 11:17 AM)
Ug. I made it through the whole thing. No mas.  no.gif

I'm gonna listen to some Opeth now.  laugh.gif

Yeah, and I don't get why he does it that way. He has a freaking AMAZING voice. It's going to take me a while to not laugh when I'm listening to them. It's really goofy to me. But, the music is so damned good, I'm willing to take the time to build up a tolerance.

I like the contrast between growl and clean. brutal then beautful. My opeth disc is a live recording and he sounds great live.

I think you have to get used to the growling nowadays as some the best modern music being made these days use it. ( hint-btbam )

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:24 PM)
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what those growling vocals remind me of, and I GOT IT! Remember when you were a kid and you would try to burp your ABC's? It's like that.

my question is- are growls singing or rapping?

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 6 2009, 11:30 AM)
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what those growling vocals remind me of, and I GOT IT! Remember when you were a kid and you would try to burp your ABC's? It's like that.

I really don't know. It's not singing. Not really. All I know is it cracks me up.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:34 PM)

I really don't know. It's not singing. Not really. All I know is it cracks me up.

It is funny but when you know the music its like some crazy primal scream aggression releasing mechanism.

the first time i saw BTBAM they had an opening group called August Burns Red whose vocalist has a super growly voice. I don't think they had any clean vocals at all. The vocalist came out during sound check and warmed up his voice with a series of growls which had me laughing my ass.

Where can vocals go from here? Can it become more extreme than the growl?

I dont think there would be an Opeth without mixture of growls and clean. That's what makes them special, and though some may not like the growls understandbly, it's probably the biggest factor that makes the clean side sound even more beautiful. Just imagine how beautiful a calm morning is after a nights loud storm!!! That's Opeth!!...

QUOTE (tangy @ Nov 6 2009, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:34 PM)

It is funny but when you know the music its like some crazy primal scream aggression releasing mechanism.

the first time i saw BTBAM they had an opening group called August Burns Red whose vocalist has a super growly voice. I don't think they had any clean vocals at all. The vocalist came out during sound check and warmed up his voice with a series of growls which had me laughing my ass.

Where can vocals go from here? Can it become more extreme than the growl?

I shudder to think. My son has musical aspirations, so I'm VERY scared. Right now, his band is pioneering that cracking, pre-teen vocal genre. Kind of an awkward, extreme high/extreme low, yodeling thing.

QUOTE (tintedweed @ Nov 6 2009, 12:03 PM)
I dont think there would be an Opeth without mixture of growls and clean. That's what makes them special, and though some may not like the growls understandbly, it's probably the biggest factor that makes the clean side sound even more beautiful. Just imagine how beautiful a calm morning is after a nights loud storm!!! That's Opeth!!...

And, I do appreciate that about them. It's just not what I'm used to. I'll admit, too, that I'm a little self-conscious about having it blaring from my minivan. Rush and Porcupine Tree are one thing. Opeth is a whole other aminal.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:19 PM)

And, I do appreciate that about them. It's just not what I'm used to. I'll admit, too, that I'm a little self-conscious about having it blaring from my minivan. Rush and Porcupine Tree are one thing. Opeth is a whole other aminal.

Minivans and Opeth are a brilliant combination. So long as you're on the roof air guitaring! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Nov 6 2009, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 6 2009, 12:19 PM)

Minivans and Opeth are a brilliant combination. So long as you're on the roof air guitaring! biggrin.gif

I DO NOT air guitar, thank you very much! laugh.gif

I am, however, quite the accomplished air drummer.

And, I sing, too! ph34r.gif

At any rate, I do get looks. I have a monster stereo system in the van, and a Bazooka subwoofer and a nifty little amplifier conveniently mounted in the back right over the emergency release for the spare tire. You gotta make sacrifices, right?

QUOTE (sullysue @ Nov 7 2009, 02:42 PM)
At any rate, I do get looks. I have a monster stereo system in the van, and a Bazooka subwoofer and a nifty little amplifier conveniently mounted in the back right over the emergency release for the spare tire. You gotta make sacrifices, right?

yes.gif 1022.gif

BTW, still awaiting that damn PT DVD...something tells me I'm not meant to have this until next year!! angry.gif