A GREAT rant about network TV

Jack Aubrey

I found this on The Digital Bits today, it sums up my feelings pretty well.

Jericho fans have heard the news by now. CBS has cancelled the beleaguered series again, after fans had convinced the network to give it a second try. Apparently, ratings for the brief second season were even worse than the first season. You know, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm about done with network TV. The fact is, viewership for the networks has been declining for years. The only thing surprising about that is that the network executives have the nerve to wonder why. Cable is a big factor, of course. About 80% of what I watch is on cable at this point and the reason is simple: That's where all of the most intelligently written and original dramas and comedies are. I'm frankly sick to death of reality TV, and the writer's strike didn't help network viewership either. But here's THE big reason why we've given up on network TV in our house: We're tired of being asked to watch and support shows that the network ends up canceling after a single season, or sometimes even after a single episode! Almost every time Sarah and I find a network show that either (or both) of us even remotely like, the network pulls the plug. Jericho, Quarterlife, K-Ville, Lipstick Jungle, Journeyman, The Black Donnellys, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Traveler, What About Brian, Invasion, Over There, E-Ring, American Dreams, Star Trek: Enterprise, Ed, Boston Public, Sports Night, I could go on and on and on (those are just a few we liked - there are MANY more). Another favorite, Friday Night Lights, is in danger of getting canned. It's not worth tuning in anymore, because you can't count on anything you see sticking around for more than five minutes, and it's just too damn aggrivating when they disappear. And the way these panicky network executives juggle their schedules, even when the show IS still on the air, you never know when it's actually gonna be on. It's better, and easier, to just wait for the show to arrive on DVD so you know you can actually watch a few of them at a time. An all-time classic series like The X-Files would NEVER have a chance in today's TV climate. The X-Files didn't get popular until well into its second season, but Fox would never have the patience to stick with it that long today. Shows get pulled on cable too (The 4400, Deadwood, Farscape, etc), but the so-called "major" networks are by far the worst offenders, and I think most people - especially anyone under 45 - is just done with them. CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and the UPN/WB/CW whatever the hell it's called are steadily becoming obsolete. And the networks have no one to blame but themselves.

Jack here: I miss 'Farscape'. It was cancelled well before it's time.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 27 2008, 04:02 PM)

Jericho fans have heard the news by now. CBS has cancelled the beleaguered series again, after fans had convinced the network to give it a second try. Apparently, ratings for the brief second season were even worse than the first season. You know, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm about done with network TV. The fact is, viewership for the networks has been declining for years. The only thing surprising about that is that the network executives have the nerve to wonder why. Cable is a big factor, of course. About 80% of what I watch is on cable at this point and the reason is simple: That's where all of the most intelligently written and original dramas and comedies are. I'm frankly sick to death of reality TV, and the writer's strike didn't help network viewership either. But here's THE big reason why we've given up on network TV in our house: We're tired of being asked to watch and support shows that the network ends up canceling after a single season, or sometimes even after a single episode! Almost every time Sarah and I find a network show that either (or both) of us even remotely like, the network pulls the plug. Jericho, Quarterlife, K-Ville, Lipstick Jungle, Journeyman, The Black Donnellys, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Traveler, What About Brian, Invasion, Over There, E-Ring, American Dreams, Star Trek: Enterprise, Ed, Boston Public, Sports Night, I could go on and on and on (those are just a few we liked - there are MANY more). Another favorite, Friday Night Lights, is in danger of getting canned. It's not worth tuning in anymore, because you can't count on anything you see sticking around for more than five minutes, and it's just too damn aggrivating when they disappear. And the way these panicky network executives juggle their schedules, even when the show IS still on the air, you never know when it's actually gonna be on. It's better, and easier, to just wait for the show to arrive on DVD so you know you can actually watch a few of them at a time. An all-time classic series like The X-Files would NEVER have a chance in today's TV climate. The X-Files didn't get popular until well into its second season, but Fox would never have the patience to stick with it that long today. Shows get pulled on cable too (The 4400, Deadwood, Farscape, etc), but the so-called "major" networks are by far the worst offenders, and I think most people - especially anyone under 45 - is just done with them. CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and the UPN/WB/CW whatever the hell it's called are steadily becoming obsolete. And the networks have no one to blame but themselves.

Brilliant, and sadly true. Owlswing and I have had the same thing keep happening. We get into a show, and the show goes away. Most were mentioned in the rant. Throw a show in there called "In-Justice" and there you have it.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 27 2008, 03:02 PM)

applaudit.gif Yes, I agree with all.

I have often thought the same thing. Most hit shows don't get an audience until their second season. When I see a new series I like on a major network, I cringe. I know it won't make it and so why should I watch. I've about given up watching network television.

My wife loves the reality stuff. I really hate it. I'm planning to have a big party when survivor gets cancelled.

Unlike the old days, the networks no longer have the patience to wait for a show to gain an audience. "Cheers," for example, started in last place in the ratings but NBC stayed with it and it became one of the biggest shows - consistently in first place. That doesn't happen anymore; if a show doesn't take off right away, it gets tanked.

The same thing happens in the music industry; if your first album doesn't sell well enough, there won't be a second. (Rush have talked about this and feel fortunate that things were different in the 70s; they were allowed to build an audience over the course of 3-4 albums.)

BTW... I miss the show "Ed." And I'm hoping this new sitcom I like, "Big Bang Theory," doesn't get axed. So far, so good.

Edited by GeddyRulz

I have to confess that

I have not followed any show regularly on network tv since Seinfeld was cancelled. I watched the Sopranos and Entourage on HBO but other than that I just flip around or watch movies.

I noticed the writer liked Star Trek Enterprise. I tried watching it but it constantly violated historical "facts" from the other series so I found it unwatchable.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Mar 27 2008, 06:21 PM)
I noticed the writer liked Star Trek Enterprise. I tried watching it but it constantly violated historical "facts" from the other series so I found it unwatchable.

Ah...but when the writers started to remedy that, they pulled the plug.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 27 2008, 04:23 PM)
Unlike the old days, the networks no longer have the patience to wait for a show to gain an audience. "Cheers," for example, started in last place in the ratings but NBC stayed with it and it became one of the biggest shows - consistently in first place. That doesn't happen anymore; if a show doesn't take off right away, it gets tanked.

"Seinfeld" is another good example of a show that probably wouldn't survive in today's TV climate. It didn't crack the ratings top-30 until its fourth season. FOURTH season! And now it's regarded to be one of the best and most influential sitcoms in history. Many consider it THE best ever. All because the network had patience.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:20 PM)
Unlike the old days, the networks no longer have the patience to wait for a show to gain an audience.  "Cheers," for example, started in last place in the ratings but NBC stayed with it and it became one of the biggest shows - consistently in first place.  That doesn't happen anymore; if a show doesn't take off right away, it gets tanked.

"Seinfeld" is another good example of a show that probably wouldn't survive in today's TV climate. It didn't crack the ratings top-30 until its fourth season. FOURTH season! And now it's regarded to be one of the best and most influential sitcoms in history. Many consider it THE best ever. All because the network had patience.

It's ironic that with Seinfeld the quality of the show started to go down after the fourth season. The fourth season was the peak, IMO, and a slow descent started with the fifth season. ph34r.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Mar 27 2008, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 27 2008, 08:20 PM)
Unlike the old days, the networks no longer have the patience to wait for a show to gain an audience.  "Cheers," for example, started in last place in the ratings but NBC stayed with it and it became one of the biggest shows - consistently in first place.  That doesn't happen anymore; if a show doesn't take off right away, it gets tanked.

It's ironic that with Seinfeld the quality of the show started to go down after the fourth season. The fourth season was the peak, IMO, and a slow descent started with the fifth season. ph34r.gif

Agreed. I think seasons 3 and 4 were equally good. And the show definitely started to slip once Elaine changed her hairstyle towards the end of season 5. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 27 2008, 03:02 PM)

That sums it up really well for me too!

After how the Sci-Fi Channel messed with Babylon 5, then dropped the axe on Farscape and another show just getting started there, I wasn't too happy with them. I was going to start watching Stargate a couple of years ago and, oh look, now it's gone, too. Finally, I just stopped bothering with that channel althogether. I don't think I've watched it in three or four years.

And yeah, network is even worse.

I don't watch a lot of TV but it seems like a good bit of what I do watch gets shot down.

It's one sucker punch after another.

Edited by WorkingAngel

Mary Tyler Moore show was another that wouldn't survive in today's market.

The CBS network execs hated the show's premise before it even aired and was going to cancel it before it even started.

The pilot was not received very well at all. But it quickly became a hit show after several episodes and spawned several spinoffs such as "Rhoda", "Lou Grant", and "Phyllis"

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 28 2008, 11:31 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 27 2008, 04:12 PM)
I'm planning to have a big party when survivor gets cancelled.

Survivor is the ONLY show I watch. I dislike if not outright hate nearly all other reality shows and nighttime game shows.

I watched The Mole that season it was on. It was all about skill and perception and was not a popularity contest or similar to high school.