Just how much

Cygnusss

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Cygnusss @ Mar 12 2008, 05:58 PM)
But just about everyone and their mom is calling me crazy.

to quote my father,

"hell, I wouldn't pay that much to see ANY band, even if that price included a bj in the parking lot."

The minute you listen to other people is the minute your life will turn to shit just like thieir lives are. People will tell you no because they've never done anything themselves. Misery loves company. DO NOT listen to other people, especially if its a female. Other people do not live in your body and do not live your life.

I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents. The only thing my dad ever told me not to do and was 100% right about, was when he told me not to get married. Other than that, I pretty much did the exact opposite of what was suggested.

Go buy the tickets and enjoy life.

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:04 PM)
I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents.

Bad advice.

Be smart, and do what you want to do (its your life!), but dont throw the baby out with the bathwater, and ignore everything your parents say, those that have lived a lot longer and seen a lot more, sometimes know more.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:16 PM)
I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents.

Bad advice.

Be smart, and do what you want to do (its your life!), but dont throw the baby out with the bathwater, and ignore everything your parents say, those that have lived a lot longer and seen a lot more, sometimes know more.

My dad was only kidding with his comment, Him and I have been to well over 20-30 concerts together since about the time I was 10 yrs old. It's my money and I'll spend it as I please, he just won't let me use his card. Kind of screws me.

I should look into getting a credit card just for this type of thing....this would make a great mastercard commercial. laugh.gif

Him and I are going to see Robin Trower Front row next month, there is a dinner included too. But it's still not 2.gif

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 09:04 PM)

to quote my father,

"hell, I wouldn't pay that much to see ANY band, even if that price included a bj in the parking lot."

The minute you listen to other people is the minute your life will turn to shit just like thieir lives are. People will tell you no because they've never done anything themselves. Misery loves company. DO NOT listen to other people, especially if its a female. Other people do not live in your body and do not live your life.

I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents. The only thing my dad ever told me not to do and was 100% right about, was when he told me not to get married. Other than that, I pretty much did the exact opposite of what was suggested.

Yes, don't listen to your parents. They hate you and are trying to ruin your life. Drugs are good, and so is alcohol. Start smoking as soon as possible and by all means.............pay way to much for concert tickets. wacko.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:16 PM)

Bad advice.

Again, learn to read. And please, as I have asked you before, stop putting words into other people's mouth. I didn't say never, in fact I said the exact opposite. And just because someone has life experience doesn't mean they have much to offer. There are many millions of alcoholic losers out there who have plenty of life experience. There are even more people living a miserable life, pointing fingers at the world, blaming everyone else for their own lives. They too have been around for quite some time.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Mar 12 2008, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 09:04 PM)

to quote my father,

Yes, don't listen to your parents. They hate you and are trying to ruin your life. Drugs are good, and so is alcohol. Start smoking as soon as possible and by all means.............pay way to much for concert tickets. wacko.gif

The concert ticket thing is a matter of personal preference as long as its wihtin reason (not interfering with you eating etc. smile.gif). In general, the ticket for a concert is not that much more than a premium seat to a hockey game (where I live), and given the infrequency of concert tours by your favorite artists, $100 isnt *that* outrageous (ducks smile.gif) for an evening of entertainment.

The key is: is the cost worth it, and I can see a child disagreeing with their parents on that score, or not if the parents were fans of the arts (rock concert tickets are actually very reasonable when compared to the orchestra, ballet, and opera in major cities).

I was more objecting to the statement that one shouldnt listen at all to their parents - thought that goes a little too far smile.gif

I love how people see things that are not said. Read much, do ya?

You think he should liten to his dad when his dad tries to discourage him from doing something he wants to do? Pretty dumb idea if you ask me. People should do what they want to do, not what other people (especially their parents) tell them they shouldn't.

QUOTE (Cygnusss @ Mar 12 2008, 03:58 PM)
I'm curious as to how much you guys are willing to pay for 2nd row center seats to see Rush.

You see, I have some money coming in the mail.... (some economical act) where basically they send you some extra money to boost the economy. Anyway, I found 2nd row center seats to a show an hour from where I live, and of Course I want to go, but the tickets are 300 bones each. Personally, I'm willing to pay that much to see them that close. But just about everyone and their mom is calling me crazy.

to quote my father,

but, heck, I'm a fan and that's what fans do.

so just how much would you guys be willing to pay for great seats?

First, your dad sounds like a real card. I could have a few laughs with him I bet.

Second, I think the point here is not what we're willing to spend but what you're willing to spend. (However, to answer your question, yes, I would spend $300/ticket to be in 2nd row.)

Do you think you would regret passing the opportunity up?

Do you think you would have a great time?

If you answered yes to either question, I think you know what to do. Go and have a fantastic time!

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:32 PM)
I was more objecting to the statement that one shouldnt listen at all to their parents - thought that goes a little too far smile.gif

Well, that's one way to look at it. Antoher would be that maybe you should learn how to read.

ok, ok. I didn't mean for everyone to start choking each other. how about someone buys me the ticket and then I pay them back? laugh.gif and then we can all get along.... trink39.gif

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:33 PM)
Yes, don't listen to your parents.  They hate you and are trying to ruin your life.  Drugs are good, and so is alcohol.  Start smoking as soon as possible and by all means.............pay way to much for concert tickets.  wacko.gif

I love how people see things that are not said. Read much, do ya?

You think he should liten to his dad when his dad tries to discourage him from doing something he wants to do? Pretty dumb idea if you ask me. People should do what they want to do, not what other people (especially their parents) tell them they shouldn't.

As long as spending the money is not irresponsible, no based on taste he shouldnt talk him out of it, but is free to express his opinion, and the child should be free to value music more than his fater. Your statement about not listening to parents was clearly more broad (the way it was written, perhaps you didnt mean it that way).

Well, that's one way to look at it. Antoher would be that maybe you should learn how to read.

You seem to have this problem a lot. Read your post again.

QUOTE (Cygnusss @ Mar 12 2008, 08:38 PM)

ok, ok. I didn't mean for everyone to start choking each other. how about someone buys me the ticket and then I pay them back? laugh.gif and then we can all get along.... trink39.gif

It's not you. He just likes to pick fights with me, nothing new. Why not work a deal out with your old man. Get him to loan you $300 and pay him back $350. You don't have 6 friends or family who could loan you $50 each? You don't have any money at all?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:43 PM)

"unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale"

Let me guess, when you read that you see:

"Never listen to your parents"

Right? Like I said, learn how to read.

Youre the one who refuses to understand what you write. here, I'll include it for you and clearly point out that by the time ideas go from your brain to your fingers it gets lost in translation.

I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents. The only thing my dad ever told me not to do and was 100% right about, was when he told me not to get married.  Other than that, I pretty much did the exact opposite of what was suggested.

I continue to say that you gave bad (actually moronic) advice, and you should listen to your parents even if its not life on a grand scale stuff. No one is inventing words here, they are your words, and IM saying youre full of shit.

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:45 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:43 PM)

"unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale"

Let me guess, when you read that you see:

"Never listen to your parents"

Right? Like I said, learn how to read.

(*knock knock knock*)

Im assuming you dont have kids. Its NOT just life on the grand scale that you need to listen to your parents on, its a lot of advice on a lot of things, large and small, that you need to listen to.

Youre welcome to your opinion, but I am too. I didnt misread your post, I disagree with it, for a very valid reason.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:46 PM)
Youre the one who refuses to understand what you write. here, I'll include it for you and clearly point out that by the time ideas go from your brain to your fingers it gets lost in translation.

I'm sure your dad loves you and is a stand up guy, but unless it relates to something that will truely affect your life on a grand scale, never listen to your parents. The only thing my dad ever told me not to do and was 100% right about, was when he told me not to get married.  Other than that, I pretty much did the exact opposite of what was suggested.

I continue to say that you gave bad (actually moronic) advice, and you should listen to your parents even if its not life on a grand scale stuff. No one is inventing words here, they are your words, and IM saying youre full of shit.

Hey man, if you want to listen to your parents when they tell you that you can't do something, that you shouldn't follow your dreams, and that you should follow what they say like you're a sheep, because "they know it all", then go for it. I'll listen to the advice that affects my life in a positive way and helps me become a better person. But you're more than welcome to absord everything that brings you down and go nowhere in life, more power to you.

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:43 PM)

It's not you. He just likes to pick fights with me, nothing new. Why not work a deal out with your old man. Get him to loan you $300 and pay him back $350. You don't have 6 friends or family who could loan you $50 each? You don't have any money at all?

Well, I'm 19, and I work in a hotel. I usually pay for everything with cash, or on larger items like electronic drums for example, My dad fronts the money on his card and I pay im back. Well, last month, I used his card one too many times, and This month I'm paying him back. Well, until that's paid off he won;t let me use it again. Understandable. No arguments there, except I know for sure, I'm getting a couple grand in the mail, and I am planning on paying him back 100% in one fat check to him. But he still says no.

Looks Like I may have to bite the bullet on this one folks. Although I'd give my left nut for these seats. sad.gif

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:46 PM)
Youre the one who refuses to understand what you write.  here, I'll include it for you and clearly point out that by the time ideas go from your brain to your fingers it gets lost in translation.

Hey man, if you want to listen to your parents when they tell you that you can't do something, that you shouldn't follow your dreams, and that you should follow what they say like you're a sheep, because "they know it all", then go for it. I'll listen to the advice that affects my life in a positive way and helps me become a better person. But you're more than welcome to absord everything that brings you down and go nowhere in life, more power to you.

You dont get it.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 12 2008, 08:53 PM)

Its NOT just life on the grand scale that you need to listen to your parents on, its a lot of advice on a lot of things, large and small, that you need to listen to.

Youre welcome to your opinion, but I am too. I didnt misread your post, I disagree with it, for a very valid reason.

Perhaps you could provide an example of something someone should listen to, that doesn't affect their life on a grand scale. And since when does something small not affect your life for ever?

The kids dad basically told him he shouldn't do something becaus he wouldn't do it. Outside of the obvious, anytime a father tells his son not to do something simply because he wouldn't do it, is when you stop listening. I don't think you need to be a parent to understand this concept.

QUOTE (Cygnusss @ Mar 12 2008, 06:58 PM)

Well, I'm 19, and I work in a hotel. I usually pay for everything with cash, or on larger items like electronic drums for example, My dad fronts the money on his card and I pay im back. Well, last month, I used his card one too many times, and This month I'm paying him back. Well, until that's paid off he won;t let me use it again. Understandable. No arguments there, except I know for sure, I'm getting a couple grand in the mail, and I am planning on paying him back 100% in one fat check to him. But he still says no.

Looks Like I may have to bite the bullet on this one folks. Although I'd give my left nut for these seats. sad.gif

WHOA!

Whoa.

You mean, you can't even really pay for these tickets in the first place?! Looks like you will have to sell that, "left nut" then my friend. Perhaps you'll get some big bucks for it. Why is it always the left one? Is the right one just not that important to give up or something?

QUOTE (FirstTourWasIn84 @ Mar 12 2008, 09:05 PM)
And since when does something small not affect your life for ever?

This sentiment was not even close to clear in your original statement, but is the crux of what Im saying, so as it turns out, we agree.

As for your second point, I already agreed with that in another post.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 12 2008, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnusss @ Mar 12 2008, 06:58 PM)

WHOA!

Whoa.

You mean, you can't even really pay for these tickets in the first place?! Looks like you will have to sell that, "left nut" then my friend. Perhaps you'll get some big bucks for it. Why is it always the left one? Is the right one just not that important to give up or something?

no no, I CAN pay for it, I just won't have the money for a couple weeks. I'll have it well before the payment is due on the credit card. It's not like I'm expecting my dad to let me use his card, and then I'll pay him back "sometime". We both know that I'll have the money. I just don't have a credit card for online purchases. Him and I have an agreement, I use the card all the time, and then pay him cash, but he said 600 $ is a little steep.

I agree, I harbor no hard feelings against him laugh.gif he's my pops!

besides, maybe, just maybe, I'll get the check in the mail before those tickets go to someone else....If I have CASH in my hands to give him, I can use the card.

One can only wish.

Pointing out something youve written thats wrong is not picking a fight. Grow a pair.

Archived