Board games to movies?!

Jack Aubrey

The Hollywood Reporter says:

Universal Pictures and Hasbro announced Wednesday that they have formed a six-year strategic partnership to produce at least four feature films based on some of Hasbro's best-known toy brands including Monopoly, Candy Land, Clue, Ouija, Battleship, Magic, the Gathering and Stretch Armstrong.

Under the terms of the deal, Hasbro will partner exclusively with Universal Pictures for feature films, with the exception of "Transformers" and "GI Joe," which are at Paramount.

The first film emerging from the deal will be released 2010 or 2011, and Universal will release at least one film a year after that. There are no stars, directors or producers yet attached to any of the film projects.

"Hasbro's portfolio of products has tremendous emotional resonance with children and adults," said Universal Pictures co-chairmen Marc Shmuger and David Linde. "They offer an exciting opportunity for us to develop tentpole movies with built-in global brand awareness, which is a key component of our slate strategy."

"Universal's creativity and worldwide marketing and distribution strength make them the perfect partner," said Hasbro COO Brian Goldner. "Today's Hasbro is so much more than a traditional toy and game company, and this partnership is a powerful example of how we are offering our consumers new ways to enjoy unique and immersive experiences with our brands.

The deal was brokered by William Morris on behalf of Hasbro. William Morris is also shopping a Trivial Pursuit TV game show to the networks or possibly syndication.

Financial terms of the Universal-Hasbro deal were not disclosed.

OK, we all saw 'Clue' and we probably all agree that it was at best mediocre and there was also a horror movie based on the Ouija board which I never saw but heard was pretty bad. Now will someone please tell me how 'You sunk my battleship!' will make an effective movie tagline?

Oh, and 'Robot Chicken' totally called this in episode 3 of their second season. I searched for the video but couldn't find it.

I actually don't think Hollywood is out of ideas. I just think that the executives believe that these kinds of movies are safe bets for at least making a decent profit. However, most of those movies on that list do sound like crap. Imagine if they try to do a movie for that game called SORRY. What the hell would they do with that?

Oh, I did like that movie CLUE.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 21 2008, 09:04 AM)

Universal Pictures and Hasbro announced Wednesday that they have formed a six-year strategic partnership to produce at least four feature films based on some of Hasbro's best-known toy brands including Monopoly, Candy Land, Clue, Ouija, Battleship, Magic, the Gathering and Stretch Armstrong.

Under the terms of the deal, Hasbro will partner exclusively with Universal Pictures for feature films, with the exception of "Transformers" and "GI Joe," which are at Paramount.

The first film emerging from the deal will be released 2010 or 2011, and Universal will release at least one film a year after that. There are no stars, directors or producers yet attached to any of the film projects.

"Hasbro's portfolio of products has tremendous emotional resonance with children and adults," said Universal Pictures co-chairmen Marc Shmuger and David Linde. "They offer an exciting opportunity for us to develop tentpole movies with built-in global brand awareness, which is a key component of our slate strategy."

"Universal's creativity and worldwide marketing and distribution strength make them the perfect partner," said Hasbro COO Brian Goldner. "Today's Hasbro is so much more than a traditional toy and game company, and this partnership is a powerful example of how we are offering our consumers new ways to enjoy unique and immersive experiences with our brands.

The deal was brokered by William Morris on behalf of Hasbro. William Morris is also shopping a Trivial Pursuit TV game show to the networks or possibly syndication.

OK, we all saw 'Clue' and we probably all agree that it was at best mediocre and there was also a horror movie based on the Ouija board which I never saw but heard was pretty bad. Now will someone please tell me how 'You sunk my battleship!' will make an effective movie tagline?

Oh, and 'Robot Chicken' totally called this in episode 3 of their second season. I searched for the video but couldn't find it.

You are kidding me.

Ok. Wait. Candy Land could be interesting. Follow me. Princess Lolly is lured into the Lollipop Woods by Lord Licorice. The King sends out the troops and whatever, I've lost interest. Are these "Hasbro" games aiming for a kids audience? I bet if Pixar were involved, they could make it look cool.

And, what? No love for "Operation?"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Feb 21 2008, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Feb 21 2008, 11:40 AM)
"Summer 2009, get ready to... GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL, DO NOT COLLECT $200!!"

Staring Jack Nicholson as the Monopoly Guy.

And they can do a crossover, whoever plays the battleship in Battleship can play the battleship in Monopoly.

Did I say battleship too much?

"She's the pretty sneaky sis with attitude and this summer she's got a score to settle. Get ready to Connect Four!"

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 21 2008, 08:01 PM)
Chutes and Ladders: The movie

That was actually in the 'Robot Cicken' parody I mentioned above. Ben Stiller was Officer Chutes and Owen Wilson was Officer Ladders.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 21 2008, 09:31 PM)
I'm looking forward to a flick based on the game TWISTER starring myself and the women in Ancient Ways' sig. Who cares if the movie would be a disaster? tongue.gif

whoa,.....hold on there.

I saw them first. I got dibs. wink.gif

Hmmmm.

I never saw Clue. It just looked lame and the one time someone tried to teach me how to play the game I was bored out of my skull.

I can see Ouija becoming some sort of Ghost Whisperer or Medium knockoff (yech!).

Magic would probably become something like the anime show where they draw cards and monsters come out of them. Or something. (Damn, I can't remember the name of that show.)

From the makers of "Battleship", and the director of "Trouble" comes the epic tale of love, honour and...trivia.

Starring Matt Damon as the Red pie, Ben Stiller as Green pie and Christian Bale as Blue pie...prepare yourself for an epic adventure that is sure to be the hottest movie of the summer.

Six different coloured triangles must come together in a circle of friendship and trust to overcome a life spent endlessly travelling around the world and being pestered by sports questions. The Pies must overcome both personal ego, past trauma and inane trivia questions as they struggle to reach the center of the board to meet The Final Question, played to brilliance by Christopher Lee.

Courage!

Honour!

Love!

Comedy!

Questions about news anchors from the 1960s!

Mirimax proudly presents Trivial Pursuit, the movie.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 22 2008, 10:32 AM)
I'm looking forward to a flick based on the game TWISTER starring myself and the women in Ancient Ways' sig.  Who cares if the movie would be a disaster?  tongue.gif

whoa,.....hold on there.

Fair enough. I guess I'll have to go with my original cast of myself, Halle Berry & Zhang Ziyi biggrin.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 22 2008, 12:32 AM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Feb 22 2008, 10:32 AM)
I'm looking forward to a flick based on the game TWISTER starring myself and the women in Ancient Ways' sig.  Who cares if the movie would be a disaster?  tongue.gif

whoa,.....hold on there.

Fair enough. I guess I'll have to go with my original cast of myself, Halle Berry & Zhang Ziyi biggrin.gif

mmmmmmmmm.....Zhang.....................

I also like Halle's Berrys

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 21 2008, 09:04 AM)

i saw this thread, and imedeatly thought "what the WTF"

Monopoly

- A movie about New Jersey? No thanks.

Candy Land

- Maybe for kids.

Clue

- First one was no fun.

Ouija

- Has potential, depending on the rest of the plot.

Battleship

-Already enough war movies.

Magic, the Gathering

http://gazuga.net/stuph/nerds.jpg

Stretch Armstrong

- Mr. Fantastic??

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 21 2008, 01:50 PM)
"She's the pretty sneaky sis with attitude and this summer she's got a score to settle. Get ready to Connect Four!"

At the end of the movie, the sister kills the brother by saying "Here....DIEagonally."

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 21 2008, 07:04 AM)

I'm still holding out for Parcheesi: The Movie - will they NEVER adapt this board game into a feature film??? rage.gif fists crying.gif