Elton John

VaporTrails04

Not really a fan but I like some of his songs. His version of "Pinball Wizard" from the film "Tommy" indeed rivals the Who's version which is a rare thing.

I like "Tiny Dancer" and a song where the lyric goes "butterflies are free to fly...fly away..."

When I was little I remember hearing a tune called "Crocodile Rock" and I remember "Yellow Brick Road".

In the eighties and nineties he was nothing short of shockingly awful, but in the seventies he was the man.

I love Madman Across The Water, Honky Chateau, Don't Shoot Me, Capt. Fantastic and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

Tiny Dancer is one of those "goose pimple" songs, total genius.

He was at his best in the seventies. Whatever happened to Bernie Taupin anyway?

Madman Across the Water - I was walking down a street in Greenwich Village early one Saturday morning and some van was parked on the street with that song blasting. I will never forget it because there are parts of that song where the music is just so eerie.

Funeral For A Friend is one of my favorites. That piano!

And Tiny Dancer - how I loved that song:

"Hold me closer tiny dancer

Count the headlights on the highway

Lay me down in sheets of linen

You had a busy day today"

Compared to what he was back then, he stinks today. I waited in line for hours to see him at the Garden back then. I'd never do it today.

Edited by Lorraine

Not really a fan but I like some of his songs. His version of "Pinball Wizard" from the film "Tommy" indeed rivals the Who's version which is a rare thing.

I like "Tiny Dancer" and a song where the lyric goes "butterflies are free to fly...fly away..."

When I was little I remember hearing a tune called "Crocodile Rock" and I remember "Yellow Brick Road".

I think that's Someone Saved My Life Tonight ("You almost had your hooks in me, didn't you dear? You nearly had me roped and tied. Altar bound, hypnotized, sweet freedom ringing in my ears. You're a butterfly, and butterflies are free to fly.....")

Went to see Elton in concert last night. Wow, still got it.

I saw him in 2011. He's totally got it. :ebert:

I've seen him twice but unfortunately they were only 90s shows, nothing earlier. One was with Billy Joel co-headlining as well playing opposite him throughout the show, which sounded ok on paper but meh!

Edited by Steevo

I love Elton John, especially the classic stuff. Madmen Across The Water, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player, Captain Fantastic, and Yellow Brick Road, most of all.

There's some later stuff that I enjoy as well. I don't think Elton has ever put out a bad album. Just weaker ones.