Yestour 2008 & NEW MUSIC!

Hatchetaxe&saw

Thanks for the history lesson ;-)

but I still don't understand why it is a joke.

Do you feel that way about every band that has a lineup change, or is it because there has been SO many in Yes?

I'm not in any way trying to provoke you- you have every right to feel how you feel but I just was trying to see your point, and I don't.

I think it is great that they love music so much that they want to tour and create REGARDLESS of who is playing the keys.

I guess I can think of YES as a band with a core (primarily Squire, but also Anderson) and "rotating members".

And about writing new music first, maybe they simply aren't ready for that.

While we may have some differences of opinion, I still like you, you listen to Yes and RUSH for God's sake!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (third hand grace @ Mar 9 2008, 06:51 PM)
Thanks for the history lesson ;-)
but I still don't understand why it is a joke.

Do you feel that way about every band that has a lineup change, or is it because there has been SO many in Yes?

I'm not in any way trying to provoke you- you have every right to feel how you feel but I just was trying to see your point, and I don't.

I think it is great that they love music so much that they want to tour and create REGARDLESS of who is playing the keys.
I guess I can think of YES as a band with a core (primarily Squire, but also Anderson) and "rotating members".

And about writing new music first, maybe they simply aren't ready for that.

While we may have some differences of opinion, I still like you, you listen to Yes and RUSH for God's sake!

I think its a joke in the same way the drummers in the movie Spinal Tap would just spontaneously combust, and they'd have to get a new drummer. Again, I don't have a problem with the line up changes (especially the early ones because they always made the band better.) But even the most ardent of Yes fan has to admit that the rotation at keyboard has become quite ridiculous. And its perfectly clear to me how someone would just say, "So what! There are no rules to this." And they would be correct.

What I am feeling now is that the guys in Yes just care about hitting the road again, trotting out Roundabout and I've Seen All Good People one more time, and hitting one more payday on the backs of the fans who are "just happy to get to see them one more time." Now this is totally my feelings about it, but they are not getting that from me. If you want to go, more power to you, I hope its the best show they've ever done. But its just not for me anymore. And, if Rush were pulling the same stunt, I would not go and see them either. At least when they did their R30 tour, they released Feedback, and apparently they had originally wanted to go back into the studio right after the Vapor Trails tour.

From the time Wakeman rejoined the band in 2002, I've been waiting for new music. "Know" was a really good Yes album back in 1997. Why couldn't they do another album, the five members of the Classic Yes lineup? But they wanted to tour. So they toured in 2002-2003 without new music or an anniversary. Then they toured again in 2004 for the 35th anniversary. Then they dropped off the face of the Earth for 4 years, and now they are going to tour for their 40th anniversary, and without Wakeman.

I remember seeing the Masterworks Tour in 2000, with Igor on keys. There was no one there! The venue was probably about 1/4 full. I saw Rush in the same venue this summer, and it was packed solid. When I saw Yes in 2002, with Wakeman, it was in a different venue, but around the same size, and the place was packed.

Yes really seems to be screwing themselves this time, with way too many dates. It like they think its 1978 again, and they are going to sellout the Spectrum in Philadelphia for four nights in a row. Its not going to happen. With them being gone for four years, and without their arguably most popular member, they will be lucky to draw a few thousand in each city, if that.

Its hard for me to believe how fed up with Yes I have become. If someone had told me even two years ago that I would feel this way now, I wouldn't have believed it. And I know I'm probably being a thorn in the side of a lot of Yes fans here at TRF, and a bit of a kill-joy. But they just seem to keep coming up with new ways to screw up their final years. Its such a far cry from the band that dominated the musical world in 1978-79 with some of the best performances ever.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 21 2008, 05:05 AM)
Tour dates are up on Yesworld.
It's called the Close To The Edge and Back tour.
They're playing Hershey the day before Rush!!! Oh Happy Day!!
3 Rush Shows + 1 Yes Show = Major Happiness!!

great, thank's

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 5 2008, 04:16 PM)
i have been listening to YES pretty much all day. does anyone know  any tour dates ? this thread has got me going now.
ladies and gentelman.......mr. oliver wakeman confused13.gif

I thought I'd go ahead and post the dates here:

Close to the Edge and Back Tour

North America 2008

July 12: Quebec City, QUE - Quebec City Festival

July 13: Toronto, ONT - Molson Amphitheatre

July 15: Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena

July 16: Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium & Star Pavilion

July 18: Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion at Northerly Island

July 19: Detroit, MI - Freedom Hill

July 22: Uncasville, CT - Mohegan Sun Arena

July 23: Boston, MA - Bank of America Pavilion

July 25: Atlantic City, NJ - Borgata Event Center

July 26: Wantagh, NY - Nikon at Jones Beach Theater

July 28: Holmdel, NJ - PNC Bank Arts Center

July 29: Baltimore, MD - Pier 6 Pavilion

July 31: Tampa, FL - Ford Amphitheatre

Aug 1: Miami, FL - Hard Rock Live Arena

Aug 2: Orlando, FL - Hard Rock Live

Aug 4: Atlanta, GA - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre at Encore Park

Aug 6: Kansas City, MO - Starlight Theatre

Aug 8: Houston, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion

Aug 9: Dallas, TX - Superpages.com Center

Aug 11: Denver, CO - Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Aug 14: Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place

Aug 15: Seattle, WA - WaMu Theater at Qwest Field Events Center

Aug 19: Mountain View, CA - Shoreline Amphitheatre at Mountain View

Aug 20: Anaheim, CA - Honda Center

Aug 22: Universal City, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre

I'm in for Atlanta if I can swing it.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 25 2008, 07:35 PM)
I stand by my decision this will absolutely suck without Rick.

Oh, I don't think it'll suck. It won't be the same, certainly. I've seen them twice with Rick and both were awesome.

But if this lineup is all I can see? I'm seein'. yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 26 2008, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 25 2008, 07:35 PM)
I stand by my decision this will absolutely suck without Rick.

Oh, I don't think it'll suck. It won't be the same, certainly. I've seen them twice with Rick and both were awesome.

But if this lineup is all I can see? I'm seein'. yes.gif

I've seen them Rick, Igor Khoroshev and an orchestra( w/Tom Brislin on keys). Each gig was fantastic. As long as Jon is in fine voice I'm happy. Roll on Hershey!

i saw them once without rick and once with rick, rick is the man

There goes the last of the hoarded tax refund...

We got tickets for the Atlanta show. Orch. 2, Row 14, seats 29 & 30.

Pretty good seats, I think. They oughta be for what they cost. Sheesh.

I really wanted to see them, though...probably going to be the last time.

Archived