Cloverfield

Tick

As my bathroom primer was drying i went to the first see a movie. I really liked this movie, it was unique. The only thing that may bother folks is that it is shot to look like the entire movie is being filmed by a personal hand held camera. Now, every movie is flawed and this one is no exception, but for a monster destroys the city movie, this one makes it feel as real as it could. You can put yourself in that place in this movie and feel like anything is possible. I will give this movie 3 stars out of 4. In a genre filled with crappy movies, this one was more original then most.

QUOTE (tick @ Jan 18 2008, 04:08 PM)
As my bathroom primer was drying i went to the first see a movie. I really liked this movie, it was unique. The only thing that may bother folks is that it is shot to look like the entire movie is being filmed by a personal hand held camera. Now, every movie is flawed and this one is no exception, but for a monster destroys the city movie, this one makes it feel as real as it could. You can put yourself in that place in this movie and feel like anything is possible. I will give this movie 3 stars out of 4. In a genre filled with crappy movies, this one was more original then most.

Sounds great! Thank you, Tick! I may go see it this weekend.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 18 2008, 03:10 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Jan 18 2008, 04:08 PM)

Sounds great! Thank you, Tick! I may go see it this weekend.

Because of that relaitic view... Im so interested... I think Ill go...

Just got back from seeing this.

First off, if you're at all prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine or whatever before seeing this. You'll need it. The camerawork is as shaky as advertised. It needed to be that shaky (amateurish-looking) for this movie to work.

Very cool flick. Very un-Hollywood, and that's a compliment. The creators of this movie had a cool idea -- a monster movie as seen through the eyes of a normal NYC resident's camcorder. They could have messed this up in so many ways, but they didn't. Of course there are some blatant implausibilities (can a camcorder battery really last THAT long?), but so what. LOTS of really great shots. I won't say any more because it's better if you go into this movie not knowing much.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 18 2008, 10:20 PM)

First off, if you're at all prone to motion sickness, take Dramamine or whatever before seeing this. You'll need it. The camerawork is as shaky as advertised. It needed to be that shaky (amateurish-looking) for this movie to work.

Very cool flick. Very un-Hollywood, and that's a compliment. The creators of this movie had a cool idea -- a monster movie as seen through the eyes of a normal NYC resident's camcorder. They could have messed this up in so many ways, but they didn't. Of course there are some blatant implausibilities (can a camcorder battery really last THAT long?), but so what. LOTS of really great shots. I won't say any more because it's better if you go into this movie not knowing much.

Maybe the company that makes the battery for the camcorder used in the film is the same company that makes the battery in Jack Bauer's cell phone! laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:20 PM)

I just got back myself and all i can add is, it's very intense!

I brought my 11 year old nephew, he may never be the same!

laugh.gif

Wow... let down of the year.

OK, it's only my second movie this year, but "I am Legend" was much better. I hated the POV of this movie, and I hated the lack of a story. This movie was pure event, no detail. Worthless.

A sequel to this (explaining the monster, ect...) could be very good. Expecially from someone as creative as JJ Abrhams.

Unfortunately, I feel like he dropped this ball on this one.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 19 2008, 03:04 AM)

OK, it's only my second movie this year, but "I am Legend" was much better. I hated the POV of this movie, and I hated the lack of a story. This movie was pure event, no detail. Worthless.

A sequel to this (explaining the monster, ect...) could be very good. Expecially from someone as creative as JJ Abrhams.

This movie wasn't trying to be anything more than the execution of a single idea: What if a monster attacked NYC and somebody captured it on a camcorder? That's all the filmmakers wanted to do, and they did it nearly perfectly (like I said before, they could have screwed it up very easily). This movie isn't meant to evoke deep discussion, it's supposed to make you go, "That was f**king COOL!"

If you require more than that from a movie, then that's fine. "Cloverfield" is a well-done piece of plot-less fun. The POV was the whole point of the movie, and maybe that's not everybody's bag.

And IMO, where the monster came from doesn't matter any more than what was in the suitcase in "Pulp Fiction."

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 19 2008, 03:26 AM)
If you require more than that from a movie, then that's fine. "Cloverfield" is a well-done piece of plot-less fun. The POV was the whole point of the movie, and maybe that's not everybody's bag.

Seriously: Fair argument. In fact, spot on. Cheers. trink38.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Jan 19 2008, 03:04 AM)

Unfortunately, I feel like he dropped this ball on this one.

I would say the opposite, i thought "I am Legend" was just average and a bit of a letdown for me. I expected much more, it actually bored me at times. Legend was anything but original and its been done much better. "Cloverfield" on the other hand gave me that, wow i can picture really happening feeling. It kept you feeling the tension throughout the movie. The most unrealistic part was that the kid would continue filming at all points, considering what was going on around him, but as i said in my original post, all movies are flawed.

Just got back from seeing the film....f***ing awesome!!!

I do have to say one thing, this film leaves more questions than it answers.

-SPOILER WARNING-

If anyone stayed after the credits.

There is a bit of audio right at the end that is just barley audible it says.

"Help Us". And played backwards it says "It's Still Alive"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 18 2008, 09:20 PM)

I got really sick during the move, and I'm assuming it was because of this.

I missed the last half of the movie because I left the theatre before I puked all over my friends. laugh.gif

Take something before the show if you get sick!!

The part I did see though, for me, was a major dissapointment. Although I went into the movie not knowing a single thing about it, and left not seeing half. laugh.gif (Which for me left so many questions!)

My three close (male) friends all thought it was "epic" and better than I Am Legend.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 20 2008, 01:30 AM)

Yes, tons of questions, but because the entire film was seen through the lens of one person's camera as the events were unfolding, and ended when the camera stopped recording, there's no way for those questions to be answered. It would have cheated the movie to inject the typical Hollywood-style exposition to try and explain everything to the audience. Same goes for adding an epilogue to try and tie up loose ends. I'm glad there were so many unanswered questions because it added realism.

-SPOILER WARNING-

"Help Us".  And played backwards it says "It's Still Alive"

We didn't stay till the end of the credits, but we noticed a lot of people waiting around as we walked out. Now I wish I'd stayed, too.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 19 2008, 11:39 AM)
Was this made by the same people that made Blair Witch, or is that just rumor?

Anyway... i'm dying to see it. Thanks for the added reasons.

I thought of Blairwitch too with the whole vid. camera mentions. It got me dizzy so if this one is like that I may need to wait for it on DVD.

Is it as like that with how it's filmed? unsure.gif

I saw it yesterday and thought it was awesome. My brother was pissed that they didn't answer any questions, but that was the whole damn point of the movie!. I hope there isn't a Cloverfield 2.

One thing I did notice about the movie, was during some parts their was the time and date at the bottom left side of the screen, and some parts it was gone. Just to make the progression of time faster then it actually was.

Edited by deadwing2112

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 20 2008, 01:04 AM)

Yes, tons of questions, but because the entire film was seen through the lens of one person's camera as the events were unfolding, and ended when the camera stopped recording, there's no way for those questions to be answered. It would have cheated the movie to inject the typical Hollywood-style exposition to try and explain everything to the audience. Same goes for adding an epilogue to try and tie up loose ends. I'm glad there were so many unanswered questions because it added realism.

-SPOILER WARNING-

"Help Us".  And played backwards it says "It's Still Alive"

We didn't stay till the end of the credits, but we noticed a lot of people waiting around as we walked out. Now I wish I'd stayed, too.

Yeah I guess you're right. The point of the movie was to leave questions. Perhaps they'll do something for the DVD special features that answers questions...like some kind of mocumentary or fake news clips (like they've done with several zombie films).

Oh, and BTW X-Men 3 taught me NEVER to leave before the end Credits.

And another mini-spoiler...WARNING

Did anyone else notice, how the video was flashing back to 1 month previous, with the date at Coney Island? The last time it does this, right at the very end you can see (far in the distant background) "something" falling out of the sky and splashing unnoticed. Am I the only one who saw that?

Edited by The Owl

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 20 2008, 02:27 PM)

Did anyone else notice, how the video was flashing back to 1 month previous, with the date at Coney Island? The last time it does this, right at the very end you can see (far in the distant background) "something" falling out of the sky and splashing unnoticed. Am I the only one who saw that?

OMG! i was just gonna ask that...i didnt see it but ive heard that something did fall out of the sky. Which part of the screen should i be looking at when i see it for the third time so i make sure i see it???

The movie was awesome. i left the movie feeling really uneasy, not because i was scared but the ended was so good it made me feel that way. The acting was surprisingly good, it made you feel like these people were actually real so kudos to that. i think the little ones creeped me out at the most but the biggest shock was the first "money shot at the end...if you've seen it you know what im talking about if you havent prepare to be paralized for a good 5 minutes. everybody should go see this movie, it delivers on so many levels emotionally, shock value, humor, and action.

"im just saying wouldnt it be freaky if a flaming homeless guy jumped out right now"