Going to Blue Ray?

The Owl

Yes I am going to finally up grade to the next generation of DVDs. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Whenever the Tax refunds come in I will be buying a PlayStation 3, and upgrading and start buying BlueRay discs.

It seems as that Blue Ray has HD-DVD all but defeated. With Blue Ray gaining more and more exclusitivity with movie studios, most recently Warner Brothers (formerly of which released both Blue Ray and HD-DVD). So I am not worried about upgrading and getting stuck with a player that new movies will not come out on.

The real question that I have is should I "worry" about upgrading the regular DVD collection that I do have? I have spent much, much money on my current collection, and I do not want to have to re-buy everything!

As far as I know both Blue Ray and HD-DVD both upgrade your regular DVDs to High Definition quality. Not nessisarly the 1080 that Blue Ray discs offer but at least 720.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent choice going with the PS3!!

You're getting an awesome Blu-Ray player and so much more. This machine is truely an "all-in-one" appliance with gaming, Internet, email, instant messaging, MP3/Vids, etc., etc...

To get the most out of it though, make sure you have a high-def screen and use the HDMI interface. I bought a Yamaha digital receiver with 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI out so I can now switch between PS3, cable box and standard DVD player since they all had HDMI interfaces.

Get ready to be blown away by these high-def movies!

1022.gif

P.S. Recommend Ratchet & Clank: Future Tools of Destruction and Rock Band as your first game purchases. Quite excellent!!

As far as games go, the first I am going to buy are

GTA4, and Star Wars Force Unleashed, and Call of Duty 4.

I unfortunatly don't have a high def TV yet. But that will probably come next.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 17 2008, 02:52 PM)
Yes I am going to finally up grade to the next generation of DVDs. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Whenever the Tax refunds come in I will be buying a PlayStation 3, and upgrading and start buying BlueRay discs.

It seems as that Blue Ray has HD-DVD all but defeated. With Blue Ray gaining more and more exclusitivity with movie studios, most recently Warner Brothers (formerly of which released both Blue Ray and HD-DVD). So I am not worried about upgrading and getting stuck with a player that new movies will not come out on.

The real question that I have is should I "worry" about upgrading the regular DVD collection that I do have? I have spent much, much money on my current collection, and I do not want to have to re-buy everything!

As far as I know both Blue Ray and HD-DVD both upgrade your regular DVDs to High Definition quality. Not nessisarly the 1080 that Blue Ray discs offer but at least 720.

Neither one of them "upgrade" your DVD to High Definition.............you can "upscale" them, but it's NOT the same thing.............

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Jan 17 2008, 09:04 PM)
Neither one of them "upgrade" your DVD to High Definition.............you can "upscale" them, but it's NOT the same thing.............

Yes however the difference is quite stark.

I finally watched Exit Stage Left upscaled a couple of weeks ago and I was like "Holy shit! This looks three times better!"

I also have a pile of DVDs and am in a similar quandry - whether to eventually replace them with BluRay. My strategy so far has been to look forward to release dates and plan on upgrading just my absolute favorites and ones that are just visually wonderful. So far the only rebuys I have are Pan's Labyrinth (mind blowing) and Blade Runner - Final Cut (absolutely unbelievably breath taking!) okay technically that is a new version very veyr nicely cleaned up and everything.

Upcoming releases I really look forward to re-buying movies like Predator and The Matrix and Run Lola Run.

Anyway in summary DVDs look better than ever upscaled - but for favorites especially super awesome visual movies its likely worth it to buy them Bluray since you'll probably want to watch them again and again!

Also EveryNerveAware is right! The PS3 is just an AMAZING toy and definitely a recommended way to go!

trink39.gif

Nope. I'm sticking with the normal dvd player now. Don't need to keep converting every 5 seconds the movie industry wants to force people to re-buy them everytime. I think it's pathetic.

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 19 2008, 01:06 AM)
Nope. I'm sticking with the normal dvd player now. Don't need to keep converting every 5 seconds the movie industry wants to force people to re-buy them everytime. I think it's pathetic.

What on earth are you talking about? We are talking about movies in Hi-Definition. That has never been introduced before.

Geez, get a clue about what you are talking about before you spout off.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 19 2008, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 19 2008, 01:06 AM)

What on earth are you talking about? We are talking about movies in Hi-Definition. That has never been introduced before.

Geez, get a clue about what you are talking about before you spout off.

I thought the debate was HD-DVD vs. Blu Ray.

Clearly both take EVERYTHING up a notch.

I dont have one yet, but close...

It's really starting to look like HD-DVD is the 21st century Betamax. Check out this article over at Digital Bits (all serious DVD collectors really should bookmark that site, it's an incredible resource with TONS of good info, usually updated daily). I myself will probably get a Blu-Ray player with the tax return money.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 19 2008, 01:46 PM)
It's really starting to look like HD-DVD is the 21st century Betamax. Check out this article over at Digital Bits (all serious DVD collectors really should bookmark that site, it's an incredible resource with TONS of good info, usually updated daily). I myself will probably get a Blu-Ray player with the tax return money.

My move will be to move my std DVD player from the HD tv to another tv, and then put the Blu Ray in there.

Right now I havent been motivated because I dont rent or buy a lot of DVDs, watchign mostly movies and TV on HD servrices from cable (at all odd hours).

"The larger question, however, is how long even the DVD format may survive. Some analysts say the battle of Blu-ray may become irrelevant as high-speed Internet and on-demand video become the pipelines of movies into the home."

QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Jan 19 2008, 02:23 PM)
"The larger question, however, is how long even the DVD format may survive. Some analysts say the battle of Blu-ray may become irrelevant as high-speed Internet and on-demand video become the pipelines of movies into the home."

Another competior - in the future will you simply download the file to a hard drive and play from there?

Like with new camcorders which quickly went form tape, to dvds to onboard hard drives....

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 19 2008, 02:40 PM)

Another competior - in the future will you simply download the file to a hard drive and play from there?

Like with new camcorders which quickly went form tape, to dvds to onboard hard drives....

I kinda disagree with that. I think there will always be a market for non-digital movies. Some people (like me) like hard copies of films, something actually tangible. Its the same reason the CD will not go out. Some just like to actually be able to hold what they buy.

Plus CD's and DVD's are so cheap to make, the profit margin film companies make off of discs is so great, it would be stupid to abandon it.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 20 2008, 03:41 PM)

I kinda disagree with that. I think there will always be a market for non-digital movies. Some people (like me) like hard copies of films, something actually tangible. Its the same reason the CD will not go out. Some just like to actually be able to hold what they buy.

Plus CD's and DVD's are so cheap to make, the profit margin film companies make off of discs is so great, it would be stupid to abandon it.

Also, music files are a FRACTION of the size of what an HD movie would be............Single Layer BLu Ray discs are 25GB, and Dual Layer are 50GB.........downloading those would take forever............

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 20 2008, 03:41 PM)

Oh I wasnt trying to forsee the future, just wonderin'.

ANyone wanna buy some betamax tapes from me? smile.gif

I say that you're pretty safe in going out and buying a Blue Ray player. It looks like Blue Ray has won the format war. Just recently Warner Brothers (who controls 33% of the home video market) signed a deal which will make them Blue Ray exclusive starting in May. This leaves with HD-DVD with only Paramount (and it's subsideries), and Universal (and Subsideries) as the only studio support that HD-DVD has. And how long before Universal or Paramount fold into the pressure and go Blue Ray as well?

Blue Ray has won the War.. HD-DVD will fade into obscurity.

The "Downfall" of HD-DVD

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 20 2008, 04:41 PM)

I was going to say the very same thing. goodpost.gif

Toshiba recently dropped the price of their HD-DVD player to $139.00. That pretty much smacks of desperation. Though I have to admit that it's very tempting because there's a whole heckuva lot of good titles available on HD-DVD. I think I'll still wait and go Blu-Ray.

Yeah, about a couple million Toshiba players moved at Xmas. I would imagine some folks are pissed. Like me, who got a nice Toshiba HD A30 from the little lady, plus several HD titles, and then in January Warner decides to back Blue Ray. Sigh. Betamax all over again.

Really, the only reason I was even interested in upgrading to HD players was to see the newly released Blade Runner collection. Which admittedly looks kick ass.

I really didn't want to replace my entire DVD collection with HD dvds, apart from Blade Runner and possibly the Indiana Jones trilogy. Then I got to thinking when Tarantino flicks finally come out on HD, particularly Pulp and Kill Bill, I'll be wanting those in HD too.

Samsung makes a combo HD / Blue Ray player, but they still want over six or seven hundred bucks for it. boarder.gif banghead.gif

Edited by Van Squalen

I think for the most part I will keep my standard DVDs. And I think that I will upgrade very little.

Really the only movies that I have already and will sell to upgrade them to blue ray will be.

The Star Wars Saga

Indiana Jones (I guess quadrilogy now)

and The Lord of the Rings as well

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 25 2008, 11:41 AM)
Toshiba recently dropped the price of their HD-DVD player to $139.00. That pretty much smacks of desperation. Though I have to admit that it's very tempting because there's a whole heckuva lot of good titles available on HD-DVD. I think I'll still wait and go Blu-Ray.

Jack, I"ve got Blu-Ray. It's worth every single penny.

I am waiting a little while longer before I buy anything to replace the DVD format... want to be completely sure that yet another format better than Blu-Ray doesn't come out in 6 to 12 months...

QUOTE (rushbass @ Jan 26 2008, 09:38 PM)
I am waiting a little while longer before I buy anything to replace the DVD format... want to be completely sure that yet another format better than Blu-Ray doesn't come out in 6 to 12 months...

Don't worry, there is nothing in the hopper that will be coming out for at least another 7 to 10 years.