Which album is heaviest and least heavy?

Finbar

I'm surprised S&A is so high on people's lists, it's heavyish in places but not at all in others...

Test for Echo has too many songs like The color of Right and Half the World, and Resist which are good songs but not heavy at all...

As for Caress of Steel, well heaviness is not just about heavy guitars, speed drumming, or wild screaming or growling vocals, dark atmosphere and lyrical content count as well. And CoS has dark atmosphere in spades, particularly on The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth...

Other thoughts...

Hemispheres has got to be one of the heaviest Rush albums, screaming high, high vocals, crunching doomy guitar riffs, super-long tunes, songs about talking trees, dirty french lyrics, ultra-non commercial vibe, 9 minute instrumental with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in, including flamenco guitar moments mixed with heavy riffs, that's heavy baby!!

laugh.gif

Fly by Night is a difficult one, there's heavy tracks like By-tor, BB&B and Anthem but then you have Fly By Night which pretty much has clean guitar riffs and then there's Rivendell...pssst not heavy at all. Overall though it's up there but not in the top 5 HEAVIES...

The first album is heavy but it loses points for it's bluesy feel and boogie vibe...

Don't forget I'm not talking quality I'm talking HEAVINESS...

QUOTE (Deadwing @ Oct 9 2007, 01:43 PM)
So many people's different take on what the term "heavy" means to them.  smile.gif  Interesting to see the different perspectives.

I'd also have to go with Vapor Trails as most heavy. That album is pretty intense, with Counterparts, Test For Echo and Snakes and Arrows following, though I'm not sure in which order.

I think Hold Your Fire is definitely the least heavy of them all, with Roll The Bones and Presto not far behind.

yea, Vapor Trails or Counterparts, or maybe ever Test For Echo (maybe, haha) are the heaviest... ([iMO)

Edited by gotbass1228

QUOTE (treeduck @ Nov 27 2007, 05:53 PM)
I'm surprised S&A is so high on people's lists, it's heavyish in places but not at all in others...

Test for Echo has too many songs like The color of Right and Half the World, and Resist which are good songs but not heavy at all...

As for Caress of Steel, well heaviness is not just about heavy guitars, speed drumming, or wild screaming or growling vocals, dark atmosphere and lyrical content count as well. And CoS has dark atmosphere in spades, particularly on The Necromancer and The Fountain of Lamneth...

Most of their albums have those odd soft moments. 2112 has Tears, PeW has two! AFTK has Madrigal and Cygnus X1. Some of their changes of pace and mood are odd, but (especially in the older work w/ Broon) they are remarkably fitting.

I agree w/ your interpretation that it is not all about speed when describing "heavy." Witch Hunt is hardly speedy, yet musically it is one of their darker, heaviest tunes. Martin Popoff described it in very dark terms, even stating "It's Alex at his most sinister." (That's definitely one of his best examples of phraseology from "Contents Under Pressure."

Edited by steelcaressed

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 9 2007, 02:10 PM)
Caress of Steel Heavy??? fing.gif

Have I missed something............?? ohmy.gif

fill me in please....

Lakeside Park...I think I'm Going Bald...half of Fountain... unsure.gif

Someone fill me in also.........CoS isn't heavy........

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 9 2007, 07:17 PM)
I would participate in this thread, but then I'd have to put VT near the top, and it doesn't belong at the top of any list IMHO. no.gif

VT may be my new favorite Rush album 1022.gif

QUOTE (mortkort @ Nov 29 2007, 08:27 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 9 2007, 07:17 PM)
I would participate in this thread, but then I'd have to put VT near the top, and it doesn't belong at the top of any list IMHO. no.gif

VT may be my new favorite Rush album 1022.gif

1022.gif

1. Vapor Trails

2. Test For Echo

3. Counterparts

4. Snakes and Arrows

5. 2112

6. Hemispheres

7. A Farewell to Kings

8. Fly By Night

9. Permanent Waves

10. Caress of Steel

11. Moving Pictures

12. RUSH

13. Roll The Bones

14. Signals

15. Grace Under Pressure

16. Power Windows

17. Hold Your Fire

18. Presto

1. Vapor Trails

2. Test For Echo

3. Counterparts

4. 2112

5. Hemispheres

6. A Farewell to Kings

7. Snakes and Arrows

8. Fly By Night

9. Permanent Waves

10. 2.gif

11. Caress of Steel

12. Moving Pictures

13. Signals

14. Roll the Bones

15. Grace Under Pressure

16. Presto

17. Power Windows

18. Hold Your Fire

• Like 1

I think we need to define what we mean by heavy, because that can be interpreted in several different ways. Do we mean albums with the heaviest sounding guitar riffs, albums with the most angry lyrics/music, albums that sound closest to most of the hard rock or heavy metal on the radio right now, etc.?

I'm not sure if my list is really accurate, but I am positive of number one. I don't think it's even debatable that Vapor Trails is easily the heaviest RUSH album. From 2 down, you could argue almost any album for any position. If you disagree with Vapor Trails at 1, just go back and listen to it and if you are still not convinced, let me know why.

QUOTE (rush2112jeff @ Dec 2 2007, 05:18 PM)
I think we need to define what we mean by heavy, because that can be interpreted in several different ways. Do we mean albums with the heaviest sounding guitar riffs, albums with the most angry lyrics/music, albums that sound closest to most of the hard rock or heavy metal on the radio right now, etc.?

I'm not sure if my list is really accurate, but I am positive of number one. I don't think it's even debatable that Vapor Trails is easily the heaviest RUSH album. From 2 down, you could argue almost any album for any position. If you disagree with Vapor Trails at 1, just go back and listen to it and if you are still not convinced, let me know why.

To me, heavy is more about thrash than groove. Heavy thrash will always beat out heavy groove in my books.