The Pass

senor_velasco

This is from Songfacts.com

Drummer and lyricist Neil Peart: "There was a lot I wanted to address in that song, and it's probably one of the hardest ones I've ever written. I spent a lot of time on it, refining it, and even more doing research. There was one song previously, called 'Manhattan Project' where I wanted to write about the birth of the nuclear age. Well, easier said than done, especially when [writing] lyrics, you've got a couple of hundred words to say what you want to say. So each word counts, and each word had better be accurate, and so I found in the case of the Manhattan Project, I was having to go back and read histories of the time, histories of the place, biographies of all the people involved, and that's not without its own rewards, but it's a lot of work to go to to write a song - having to read a dozen books and collate all your knowledge and experience just so you can write, you know, if it says the scientists were in the desert sands, well, make sure they were and why, and all that. So with this song it was the same. I felt concerned about it, but, at the same time, I didn't want the classic thing of 'Oh, life's not so bad, you know, it's worth living' and all that. I didn't want one of those pat, kind of cliched, patronizing statements, so I really worked hard to find out true stories, and among the people that I write to are people who are going to universities, to MIT, and collecting stories from them about people they had known and what they felt, and why the people had taken this desperate step and all of that and trying really hard to understand something that, fundamentally, to me is totally un-understandable. I just can't relate to it at all, but I wanted to write about it. And the facet that I most wanted to write about was to demythologize it - the same as with 'Manhattan Project' - it demythologized the nuclear age, and it's the same thing with this facet - of taking the nobility out of it and saying that yes, it's sad, it's a horrible, tragic thing if someone takes their own life, but let's not pretend it's a hero's end. It's not a triumph. It's not a heroic epic. It's a tragedy, and it's a personal tragedy for them, but much more so for the people left behind, and I really started to get offended by the samurai kind of values that were attached to it, like here's a warrior that felt it was better to die with honor, and all of that kind of offended me. I can understand someone making the choice; it's their choice to make. I can't relate to it, and I could never imagine it, for myself, but still I thought it's a really important thing to try to get down."
Bass player and lead singer Geddy Lee: "There are certain songs, like 'The Pass,' where I felt it was more important to keep the lyrics intact and to build up a musical statement that's born out of the message of the song. In a case like that, I have to do a lot of thinking before a single note is written and I really immerse myself into the song. I mean, if I have to sing Neil's lyrics, I have to feel some sort of relationship with what he's talking about. I have to feel in concert with them in order to make it believable, to myself and to the listener. So there is a lot of conversation that goes down about each song before I start writing melodies." (thanks, Mike - Mountlake Terrace, Washington, for above 

Welcome aboad Senor!

My take on The Pass has always been a very powerful and emotional message about teen depression and suicide. I say teen because of the references to the teenager that is featured in the song's video (find it on YouTube) and the references to "proud swagger out of the schoolyard" - but essentially I suppose it could be about any one person's struggle with depression and suicide / suicidal thoughts.

In the 'Boys in Brazil' documentary released with Rush in Rio DVD, Geddy and Neil briefly discuss how The Pass is a very emotional and moving song for them to play, as well as one of their better crafted songs, in their own opinion.

If you havent heard the Rush in Rio version of The Pass, I suggest you check it out, its simply incredible, IMO.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 14 2007, 12:18 PM)
Welcome aboad Senor!

My take on The Pass has always been a very powerful and emotional message about teen depression and suicide. I say teen because of the references to the teenager that is featured in the song's video (find it on YouTube) and the references to "proud swagger out of the schoolyard" - but essentially I suppose it could be about any one person's struggle with depression and suicide / suicidal thoughts.

In the 'Boys in Brazil' documentary released with Rush in Rio DVD, Geddy and Neil briefly discuss how The Pass is a very emotional and moving song for them to play, as well as one of their better crafted songs, in their own opinion.

If you havent heard the Rush in Rio version of The Pass, I suggest you check it out, its simply incredible, IMO.

Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for... I get the same impression when I read the lyrics... amazing, AMAZING song!!!

I do have the Rush in Rio DVD (watching it right now actually...) thanks.

By the way, I will be seeing Rush in Germany in October!!! This will be my first Rush concert EVER! I hope they will play The Pass (no spoilers, please wink.gif )

I love The Pass (listened to it on the drive this morning). In fact, I was watching the Rio documentary the other day and while they were talking about it, my wife mentioned she liked it too. (She is not a Rush fan so that made me feel good).

wow, I love this song... the first I heard it was on the live in rio dvd, the day after that I went to the store to buy presto(that was more disappointing), but that doesn't matter know...

this song just explains the life of a lot of teenagers(dreamers and outcasts), neil just wants to make a point again to say don't stop with every little rock that's below you feet, but just go for it...everything you do, you got to see as a challenge...

" there are those who think

that they were dealt a losing hand

the cards were stacked against them

they weren't born in lotusland

all preordained

a prisoner in chains

a victim of venomous fate

kicked in the face

you can't pray for a place

in heaven's unearthly estate"

I'm 23 years old now, and I know how it really feels to be depressed and just feeling bad, but after a while you just need to go for it, don't stop fighting, go for it!!!!

I know it's easier to say then to do,(even I have still my low moments) but that's normal in this modern society, I don't agree with everything neil said, because wen you are really feeling bad, and you have you reasons for it, it's just don't seems possible to find a exit...

QUOTE (bringer of balance @ Sep 14 2007, 05:39 PM)
wow, I love this song... the first I heard it was on the live in rio dvd, the day after that I went to the store to buy presto(that was more disappointing), but that doesn't matter know...

this song just explains the life of a lot of teenagers(dreamers and outcasts), neil just wants to make a point again to say don't stop with every little rock that's below you feet, but just go for it...everything you do, you got to see as a challenge...

" there are those who think
that they were dealt a losing hand
the cards were stacked against them
they weren't born in lotusland
all preordained
a prisoner in chains
a victim of venomous fate
kicked in the face
you can't pray for a place
in heaven's unearthly estate"

I'm 23 years old now, and I know how it really feels to be depressed and just feeling bad, but after a while you just need to go for it, don't stop fighting, go for it!!!!
I know it's easier to say then to do,(even I have still my low moments) but that's normal in this modern society, I don't agree with everything neil said, because wen you are really feeling bad, and you have you reasons for it, it's just don't seems possible to find a exit...

I dont know if you knew it or not, but those lyrics from Freewill have absolutely no relation to the content in The Pass.

Freewill is another of Neil anti-religion songs. It references how many (not all) people of religion believe that their fate is in the hands of a higher power. That the things that happen to them happen for a reason, for good or bad. And Neil does not believe that. He believes life revolves more around innocent circumstances. There are no reasons for anything. Things just happen. And so he chooses freewill rather than devote his life to a high power, living out his days with "phantom fears", afraid of what might happen.

He written about this in multiple songs, but The Pass isnt really one of them.

I have to say the The Pass is one of my favorite Rush songs as well. Thanks PassTheAmmunition for the You Tube note - I have never seen that video! Haven't watched MTV or VH1 in years unless there was a behind the music I wanted to watch.

What I really like about The Pass is that is does have a message. Somewhat like Nobody's Hero. I have always lke that song very much as well, but I know it isn't a favorite among my Rush buddies.

2.gif next week inToronto for me and my pals!

For me, THE PASS is a very moving song and has been one of my faves for a long time now.

Ah, The Pass. I first heard this song when I got the Rush in Rio DVD, and loved it immediately. It's very deep, and it made me think about what Neil was really saying and how true it was for some people. This part still gives me chills down my spine:

"No hero in your tragedy, no daring in your escape. No salutes for your surrender, nothing noble in your fate. Christ, what have you done?"

Just brilliant! Love that guitar solo, too.

I was severely depressed when Presto came out, and "The Pass" did nothing to ease my emotional pain, nor did I see it as a persuasive argument against suicide. The song is clearly told from the point-of-view of someone outside the suicidal anti-hero's depression, and not from the point-of-view of the depressive himself. At the time it was written, Neil obviously had no clue how it feels to be clinically depressed. (I'm guessing he probably knows now.) Saying, "But your loved ones will miss you! Think of them!" does nothing to alleviate the depressive's emotional pain, or his/her suicide ideation. It's just another thing for the depressive to feel guilty about.

I think the song is over-rated, by both the band and its fans. It's okay, but that's all, in my opinion.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 16 2007, 02:32 PM)
I was severely depressed when Presto came out, and "The Pass" did nothing to ease my emotional pain, nor did I see it as a persuasive argument against suicide. The song is clearly told from the point-of-view of someone outside the suicidal anti-hero's depression, and not from the point-of-view of the depressive himself. At the time it was written, Neil obviously had no clue how it feels to be clinically depressed. (I'm guessing he probably knows now.) Saying, "But your loved ones will miss you! Think of them!" does nothing to alleviate the depressive's emotional pain, or his/her suicide ideation. It's just another thing for the depressive to feel guilty about.

I think the song is over-rated, by both the band and its fans. It's okay, but that's all, in my opinion.

sad.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 14 2007, 09:07 PM)
Freewill is another of Neil anti-religion songs.

I just don't interpret Neil's writings this way. To me, he examined religion and found it wasn't for him, gives his reasons, then gives his ultimate conclusion. I really don't see it as anti-religion. It's just a choice that all make.

Are you saying that people who are not depressed don't have the right to have and express feelings about suicide? And that non-depressed people, or loved ones of depressed people don't have the right to argue against suicide?

I certainly hope not.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 16 2007, 06:52 PM)
I was severely depressed when Presto came out, and "The Pass" did nothing to ease my emotional pain, nor did I see it as a persuasive argument against suicide.  The song is clearly told from the point-of-view of someone outside the suicidal anti-hero's depression, and not from the point-of-view of the depressive himself.  At the time it was written, Neil obviously had no clue how it feels to be clinically depressed.  (I'm guessing he probably knows now.)  Saying, "But your loved ones will miss you!  Think of them!" does nothing to alleviate the depressive's emotional pain, or his/her suicide ideation.  It's just another thing for the depressive to feel guilty about.

I think the song is over-rated, by both the band and its fans.  It's okay, but that's all, in my opinion.

Are you saying that people who are not depressed don't have the right to have and express feelings about suicide? And that non-depressed people, or loved ones of depressed people don't have the right to argue against suicide?

I certainly hope not.

I'm sure GeddyRulz can speak for himself but his point seemed related to clinical depression which can lead to suicide. He felt the song contained the fallacy that if depressed people could just appreciate what they have they can "snap out of it" which is not possible. Clinically depressed people need professional help.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 16 2007, 07:05 PM)
I was severely depressed when Presto came out, and "The Pass" did nothing to ease my emotional pain, nor did I see it as a persuasive argument against suicide.  The song is clearly told from the point-of-view of someone outside the suicidal anti-hero's depression, and not from the point-of-view of the depressive himself.  At the time it was written, Neil obviously had no clue how it feels to be clinically depressed.  (I'm guessing he probably knows now.)  Saying, "But your loved ones will miss you!  Think of them!" does nothing to alleviate the depressive's emotional pain, or his/her suicide ideation.  It's just another thing for the depressive to feel guilty about.

I think the song is over-rated, by both the band and its fans.  It's okay, but that's all, in my opinion.

I certainly hope not.

I'm sure GeddyRulz can speak for himself but his point seemed related to clinical depression which can lead to suicide. He felt the song contained the fallacy that if depressed people could just appreciate what they have they can "snap out of it" which is not possible. Clinically depressed people need professional help.

Fair enough. I guess I don't hear the song as saying that depressed people can just "snap out of it." I hear it as rejecting the notion that suicide is in any way a brave or noble act, and recognising suicide as the sometimes unavoidable tragedy that it is.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 16 2007, 06:20 PM)

I certainly hope not.

Fair enough. I guess I don't hear the song as saying that depressed people can just "snap out of it." I hear it as rejecting the notion that suicide is in any way a brave or noble act, and recognising suicide as the sometimes unavoidable tragedy that it is.

That doesn't provide any respite for the depressed/suicidal person. Spoken to the depressive, such notions do more harm than good. Believe me.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 17 2007, 09:30 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Sep 16 2007, 06:20 PM)

I certainly hope not.

That doesn't provide any respite for the depressed/suicidal person. Spoken to the depressive, such notions do more harm than good. Believe me.

Having been on both sides of the coin, I understand that those sentiments don't provide the suicidal depressive with any respite. But I disagree that that means that people who care shouldn't voice them.

Most of the reason that I am still here today is that people have cared enough to not give up on me even when I was trying desperately to give up on myself. And even when I was at my most depressed and suicidal I recognised that suicide is not a brave or noble act.

I'm not trying to make light of your experience. Just saying that mine, although as dire as yours, is different.

Archived