OK I've had enough....American Horror

The Owl

A Tale of Two Sisters

What is with mainstream horror? We can't think of any origional Ideas

This version of the Korean horror classic is also joining the ranks of American horror films being adapted from Asian Horror markets.

The Grudge?

The Ring?

Now A Tale of Two sisters....?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? wtf.gif

What happened to horror being an American Staple?

Not that I don't like these forigen horror films, they are great. But American Horror shouldn't have to do. Remake after Remake, Sequel after Sequel, Prequel after Prequel.

Has American Horror lost origionality?

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 7 2007, 03:29 PM)
It's very simple, as long as audiences keep going to remakes, sequels and prequels, Hollywood will keep making them.

I agree, but common America has creativity out the ass. We can come up with an origional horror movie.

I am an Eli Roth fan, I think his films, for his first 3 at least were pretty good. I even like the Saw films. But that is another example of where too many sequels can lead a franchise astray. 4 is coming out this October with 5 and 6 planned. Luckly the Saw franchise has been benefited by a consistant crew (those who worked on saw 1, are working on 4).

There is one film that has been getting good reviews in the indipendent market that seems promising. "Hatchet"

the tagline alone sells me a ticket:

"Not a sequel, not a prequel, not based off a Japenese one, just old school american horror"

QUOTE (The Owl @ Sep 7 2007, 03:52 PM)
wow, talk about posting something at the same time?

laugh.gif

It's not playing anywhere near me so I downloaded it. After all the good reviews it's gotten, I was expecting something a little more serious, but it's really cheesy, which I actually love.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 8 2007, 05:17 AM)
Call me old-fashioned, but I tend to gravitate to the classic Universal films of the 30s and the Hammer films of the 50s/60s/70s.

Personally, the new trend of Gorenography is a total turn off

goodpost.gif

Totally with you on those, man.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 8 2007, 06:45 AM)

laugh.gif

It's not playing anywhere near me so I downloaded it. After all the good reviews it's gotten, I was expecting something a little more serious, but it's really cheesy, which I actually love.

Cheesey is good.

I remember seeing the original Evil Dead in the theater. While everyone around me was jumping and getting the shit scared out of them I laughed hysterically and non-stop through the whole movie. I'm sure I pissed some people off but I loved that flick and it was hilarious. same thing happens when I got to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal - non-stop hilarity.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Sep 8 2007, 05:45 AM)

laugh.gif

It was an inde film that got picked up, I think. (Kinda like what happened with Cabin Fever). Yeah but right now Its only out on a limited release, hopefully it will get a wide release in the near future. And Its too soon to tell, the limited releases only started yesterday.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 8 2007, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 8 2007, 05:17 AM)
Call me old-fashioned, but I tend to gravitate to the classic Universal films of the 30s and the Hammer films of the 50s/60s/70s.

Personally, the new trend of Gorenography is a total turn off

goodpost.gif

Totally with you on those, man.

i agree also.

i can't even watch it anymore.

Rosemary's Baby is an excellent film that didn't rely on gore. Although it's not that much of a horror story so much as it is a suspense thriller.

Ira Levin, the novelist and playwrite who wrote the novel, had written a sequel called "The Son of Rosemary" (dedicated to Mia Farrow). One wonders if this will ever be made into a movie.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 9 2007, 10:27 AM)
Rosemary's Baby is an excellent film that didn't rely on gore. Although it's not that much of a horror story so much as it is a suspense thriller.

Ira Levin, the novelist and playwrite who wrote the novel, had written a sequel called "The Son of Rosemary" (dedicated to Mia Farrow). One wonders if this will ever be made into a movie.

That's probably another good film that will be re-made within the next few years

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 7 2007, 03:29 PM)
It's very simple, as long as audiences keep going to remakes, sequels and prequels, Hollywood will keep making them.

That is one of the reasons I don't go to the movies at all...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Ring.jpeg

Remade and Americanised in 2002

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e2/TheGrudge.jpg

Remade and Americanised in 2004

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters_film.jpg

Remade/Americanised in 2008

And that's just foriegn adaptations.

Texas Chainsaw Massicare

Halloween

Dawn of the Dead/Day of the Dead

The Hills have eyes (albiet Wes Craved made both origional and remake)

The Omen

The Wicker Man

American remakes within the past 10 years, I know there's more.

New Ideas people quit re-hashing!!!

I don't get what the attraction is to most horror movies. My brother loves them so I see them with him to make him happy but they don't scare me and the gore doesn't do anything for me either.

I think I have become desensitized.

I did like SAW though.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Sep 12 2007, 01:47 PM)
I don't get what the attraction is to most horror movies. My brother loves them so I see them with him to make him happy but they don't scare me and the gore doesn't do anything for me either.

I think I have become desensitized.

I did like SAW though.

I love horror, I am just pissed at the level of origionality in the genere.

I do like the Saw franchise, and I am looking foward to saw 4, but when I hear there's going to be 5 and 6. I dont know. But the way they're treating saw is like one big long film. All the films are intertwined.

There was a horror flick that came out in the 80's called "Chopping Mall". It was pretty dumb, but I loved the tagline - "Where shopping can cost you an arm and a leg".... laugh.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 23 2007, 06:58 AM)
"Slither" was my most recent favorite and it was very americana.

Yeah, I loved that movie even if it was a huge rip off of Night of the Creeps. I watched that and Feast back to back. That was a good night for cheesy horror.