Kevin Smith puts smackdown on a heckler

Slime

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 02:23 PM)
I find that amusing seeing that he likes such drivel as Star Wars and LOTR.

Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are hardly drivel. I suggest you read Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth. It really helps to put storytelling, especially stuff like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, in perspective. I bet Kevin Smith has found some inspiration in his writings.

All this stuff is relative, but to call Kevin Smith a genius is a bit much. At best, his movies are mildly amusing. Personally, I don't find anything he's done particularly groundbreaking, insightful or original. All qualities I ascribe to being a genius. I find his movies boring. Also, he comes across, at least to me, as trying too hard to be intelligent or one step ahead of his critics. Like, if you don't get it, you don't understand it. I understand it. I just don't like it. I do give him credit for doing it, though, especially on such low budgets, but calling his work genius is going a bit overboard, IMHO.

Anyway, to each his own. trink39.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 4 2007, 02:26 PM)

Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings are hardly drivel. I suggest you read Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth. It really helps to put storytelling, especially stuff like Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings, in perspective. I bet Kevin Smith has found some inspiration in his writings.

All this stuff is relative, but to call Kevin Smith a genius is a bit much. At best, his movies are mildly amusing. Personally, I don't find anything he's done particularly groundbreaking, insightful or original. All qualities I ascribe to being a genius. I find his movies boring. Also, he comes across, at least to me, as trying too hard to be intelligent or one step ahead of his critics. Like, if you don't get it, you don't understand it. I understand it. I just don't like it. I do give him credit for doing it, though, especially on such low budgets, but calling his work genius is going a bit overboard, IMHO.

As we say in the meat trade Zaaseege 'is own! tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Aug 4 2007, 03:26 PM)

He's taken REAL life experiences and made them WORTH watching. Had anyone but Smith made a movie about two quik stop clerks, no one would have watched. Kevin took the things that make REAL life funny and made them ten times funnier. He made fools of all the people normal people hate in high school. He also uses his humor in a thinking kind of way. There are jokes in later flicks that make stuff in Clerks even FUNNIER. I love that kind of storytelling. And if you've ever read any of his comic stuff, you'd know how good of a storyteller he is.

But don't tell me that LOTR and Star Wars are not drivel, cuz they are. I don't care how many of you mindless minions are out there. That shit is complete drivel and has no merit for me.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 03:51 PM)
But don't tell me that LOTR and Star Wars are not drivel, cuz they are. I don't care how many of you mindless minions are out there. That shit is complete drivel and has no merit for me.

Is it irony? I believe it is. You just called Kevin Smith a mindless minion. laugh.gif

Why does everyone view a thread as an excuse to bash what is being discussed inside? Seems we can't open a thread anymore without someone offering their un-requested opinions. Notice how I asked "Hey what should I go see next?" instead of "Isn't Kevin Smith just the worst movie director you've ever seen?"

Now to get back on topic...

One thing that Kevin Smith does better than most (from what I've seen) is dialogue. I admit that I'm not much of a movie watcher, but Kevin Smith's writing of dialogue is more natural sounding than I've seen in most movies.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Aug 4 2007, 01:36 PM)
Necro, why are you insisting Goobs has to like this guy ? If he's not a fan, so be it. Personally, from what what i've seen of Kevin Smiths movies, the label "genious" would not be my impression. I honestly have not seen many of his films, including "Dogma" but from what i have seen, he does nothing for me. confused13.gif 

Goober, my advise to you is, stop tapping on the glass, can't you read the sign ?

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

I don't care if he doesn't like the guy or not. It's just that when he makes his comments about others liking the guy, he always makes it sound like he's so better and above everyone else. I find that amusing seeing that he likes such drivel as Star Wars and LOTR. That's all I'm saying. It kind of gets old hearing someone constantly rag on everyone else's stuff, yet not have the balls to stand and fight about HIS favorites when you call him on it.

I've always thought the idea of a message board was to discuss your opinions, even if they are totally opposite of each others. I can't stand the way some people feel it's FINE to bag on other's shit, when they can't stand it if you bag on theirs.

That and as we've discussed... since he hates to be a part of anything we do anymore, again... like he's so ABOVE us all... i like to rag on him. Even if I didn't like Kevin Smith, this would have been a good time to do so.

But since all he's got is the ridiculous SUCK IT comeback... i guess i'll have to understand that unless I lower myself to act like a teenager around here, i just can't expect Goober, our old friend, to interact with me. no.gif

Shame. He used to be fun.

Boy, someone forgot to eat their Wheaties this morning! wink.gif

Ken, you know I love you man no matter what you think of me. yes.gif

Now suck it, buttboy! moon.gif

wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 4 2007, 06:28 PM)
Necro, why are you insisting Goobs has to like this guy ? If he's not a fan, so be it. Personally, from what what i've seen of Kevin Smiths movies, the label "genious" would not be my impression. I honestly have not seen many of his films, including "Dogma" but from what i have seen, he does nothing for me. confused13.gif 

Goober, my advise to you is, stop tapping on the glass, can't you read the sign ?

I don't care if he doesn't like the guy or not. It's just that when he makes his comments about others liking the guy, he always makes it sound like he's so better and above everyone else. I find that amusing seeing that he likes such drivel as Star Wars and LOTR. That's all I'm saying. It kind of gets old hearing someone constantly rag on everyone else's stuff, yet not have the balls to stand and fight about HIS favorites when you call him on it.

I've always thought the idea of a message board was to discuss your opinions, even if they are totally opposite of each others. I can't stand the way some people feel it's FINE to bag on other's shit, when they can't stand it if you bag on theirs.

That and as we've discussed... since he hates to be a part of anything we do anymore, again... like he's so ABOVE us all... i like to rag on him. Even if I didn't like Kevin Smith, this would have been a good time to do so.

But since all he's got is the ridiculous SUCK IT comeback... i guess i'll have to understand that unless I lower myself to act like a teenager around here, i just can't expect Goober, our old friend, to interact with me. no.gif

wink.gif

Loving me or not, really has no bearing on how you ignore everything we do or come up with.

Let's put it a bit more into perspective. You get all flustered when people don't pay attention to your show or your threads. Me and Geds have spent WEEKS on threads for our friends to enjoy and you don't even bother to acknowledge them.

So if that's how a friend show's his "love", then really... keep it bro.

It just gets annoying waiting to see you pop in and say something about what WE think is funny. But you just don't seem to give a rat's ass about anything we do anymore. But if we were one of the GOOB 4 PRESIDENT Teen Squad, then i'm sure you'd be there playing along, right?

Yeah... i don't eat wheaties anyway. GrapeNuts. They have more substance.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 05:48 PM)
GrapeNuts. They have more substance.

With milk and a dollop of butter, then microwaved for 75 seconds, and then a teaspoon of sugar on top.

It don't get any better than that.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 4 2007, 08:20 PM)
GrapeNuts.  They have more substance.

With milk and a dollop of butter, then microwaved for 75 seconds, and then a teaspoon of sugar on top.

yes.gif

I do that in the winter. When I was lifting, I ate that every morning for months. Awesome. yes.gif

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 4 2007, 07:20 PM)
GrapeNuts.  They have more substance.

It sstill like eating gravel. smile.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 04:48 PM)

wink.gif

Loving me or not, really has no bearing on how you ignore everything we do or come up with.

Let's put it a bit more into perspective. You get all flustered when people don't pay attention to your show or your threads. Me and Geds have spent WEEKS on threads for our friends to enjoy and you don't even bother to acknowledge them.

It just gets annoying waiting to see you pop in and say something about what WE think is funny. But you just don't seem to give a rat's ass about anything we do anymore. But if we were one of the GOOB 4 PRESIDENT Teen Squad, then i'm sure you'd be there playing along, right?

I'll never be the friend you want me to be in the way you think I should be. You can accept me for who I am or not, it's your choice. I'll never fit your mold, and the easiest way to insure I don't participate in the way you wish I would is to be so intense about it when I don't. I'm still your friend anyway, just in my own way.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 5 2007, 12:42 AM)

wink.gif

I'll never be the friend you want me to be in the way you think I should be. You can accept me for who I am or not, it's your choice. I'll never fit your mold, and the easiest way to insure I don't participate in the way you wish I would is to be so intense about it when I don't. I'm still your friend anyway, just in my own way.

Okay. Whatever. I appreciate the calls when something horrible happens. The fact that you completely ignore anything we do on here, i'll just have to chalk up to you looking down on us like you always do.

Maybe the next time we do something, we'll make up some weirdo dimension and make sure to add YOUR name to the thread and then maybe you'll join in with us again. Or not.

Cya.

Anyway... upon watching the vid a little more... i'm thinking Kev coulda' busted the guy's ass a bit better than the sexual remark about his mother. What if the guy's mom had just died or something? I'm thinking it was a bit rude, and he showed he could bust on the guy without THAT particular comment. Showed a bit of classlessness, which I understand is his MO, but still... that was a bit uncalled for. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 08:22 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 5 2007, 12:42 AM)

wink.gif

Okay. Whatever. I appreciate the calls when something horrible happens. The fact that you completely ignore anything we do on here, i'll just have to chalk up to you looking down on us like you always do.

Maybe the next time we do something, we'll make up some weirdo dimension and make sure to add YOUR name to the thread and then maybe you'll join in with us again. Or not.

Cya.

the whole idea that i'm looking down on you or on anyone because i don't participate in your threads is just something you made up and has nothing to do with reality. you seem to have a lot of ideas about what goes on in my head, and they're usually just not accurate.

it seems like you're never going to be satisfied with how i do things no matter what, so i generally don't bother to respond to everything and would rather just let you think whatever you want then try to endlessly defend myself. i guess i should have said all of this awhile ago, but it seemed no matter what i said you're never happy. i might as well just tell it like it is since you tend to find some way to judge me anyway no matter what i say or don't say.

i do what i do and i don't do what i don't do. i'm not making any apologies and i'm not going to try and bend myself to be the person you want me to be or think i should be. most people here seem to be able to accept me for who i am. maybe one day you will too.

anything else i would want to say i already said in my last post.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 4 2007, 11:58 AM)
I mean... c'mon... you're a grown man who gets a boner over STAR WARS and LOTR.

So too does Kevin Smith. Ironic.

Ya know, it IS possible to like Smith AND Star Wars. In fact, most Smith fans love Star Wars, as does Smith himself.

I love Kevin Smith's movies... and not because they're so full of "substance" as Necro puts it. Ironically, there's probably a lot more "substance" in the Star Wars series than Necro's beloved Askewniverse series.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 01:13 PM)

Ya know, it IS possible to like Smith AND Star Wars. In fact, most Smith fans love Star Wars, as does Smith himself.

I love Kevin Smith's movies... and not because they're so full of "substance" as Necro puts it. Ironically, there's probably a lot more "substance" in the Star Wars series than Necro's beloved Askewniverse series.

Oh PLEASE!!! They're movies for CHILDREN. Get off the pipe and quit playing with your wookie.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 12:27 PM)
Oh PLEASE!!! They're movies for CHILDREN.

Only in the same way that COMIC BOOKS are for children.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 12:27 PM)
Oh PLEASE!!!  They're movies for CHILDREN.

Only in the same way that COMIC BOOKS are for children.

That comeback would work if I was reading Spidey Super Stories or Super Friends. It's a stale comeback. Those aren't the kind of books I read and the ones i DO read are far from children's fare. There are no screaming muppets and goofy droids in anything that i read. Nice try though. But as usual... you know NOTHING of what you speak. Sowwy.

Comic books have material for children AND adults, just as the Star Wars series does.

And you didn't address my earlier point: you're a big fan of Kevin Smith, and Smith himself is a big fan of Star Wars, peppering his films with Star Wars references. Isn't it ironic?

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:27 PM)

Oh PLEASE!!! They're movies for CHILDREN. Get off the pipe and quit playing with your wookie.

The only thing that makes Kevin Smith's movies "for adults" is profanity, and drug and sex references.

So are you saying that if Emperor Palpatine had a sailor's vocabulary, Yoda smoked pot, and Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 5 2007, 01:42 PM)
Comic books have material for children AND adults, just as the Star Wars series does.

And you didn't address my earlier point: you're a big fan of Kevin Smith, and Smith himself is a big fan of Star Wars, peppering his films with Star Wars references. Isn't it ironic?

While I know he's a Star Wars geek, his jokes are actually BAGGING on the Star War GEEK community. Even he knows how silly it is. The funniest part of Clerks 2 is where the Star Wars geek actually argues with a LOTR geek.

Listen... i understand levels of geekdom better than most. But watching adult men salivate over wookies, droids and elves... but then have the audacity to criticize some actually thought provoking comedy like Dogma... just sets me off. I think when you are a fan of something so idiotic as these types of movies... to the point where you actually BRAG about it... then it's clear you have taste in your ass. So really... your opinion on good things matters very little. I would normally ignore someone else's comments on this, or chalk it up to for each his own, but as you can see... there's obviously more to it when it concerns my one time friend, RushGoober.

Back to your point. Many comic fans are also Star Wars fans. I am NOT. I've seen the first three and enjoyed them when I was a CHILD. And by no means am i trying to suggest that i am a mature adult. But just like sesame street and the electric company, Star Wars is for CHILDREN. I do not get its appeal, especially it's ridiculous OVER THE TOP fandom that it generates. Am I turning my nose up at Star Wars fans? no.gif But don't tell me, when you actually can BRAG about drivel such as this, that good stuff is HIGHLY OVERRATED. Just because everything doesn't get a toy line and have people lined up dressed like idiots to see the movie, doesn't mean it isn't as good as Goob's beloved Star Wars.

The idea that these movies are a freaking MEASURING STICK, baffles me to no end. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Aug 5 2007, 01:48 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 5 2007, 01:27 PM)

The only thing that makes Kevin Smith's movies "for adults" is profanity, and drug and sex references.

So are you saying that if Emperor Palpatine had a sailor's vocabulary, Yoda smoked pot, and Han Solo and Leia had sex scenes in the Millenium Falcon, you'd watch Star Wars?

Well... since you are a child yourself, I can't expect you to understand the subtle brilliances of Dogma or any of Smith's flicks. Nor would i bother to even try to explain them to you. When you are out of your diapers, then maybe I'll consider discussing this with you. Just the fact that you think I feel its the drug references and profanity that make it ADULT, shows you are still at a grade school level of maturity. Post at me in about a decade when you know something, k? Till then... stay with goober and that nonsense shit.