Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 17 2008, 02:05 AM)
Well, so much for that, I had another duzy last night. I did everything I was supposed to but still had one. I hate Epilepsy. wacko.gif

sad.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Drum hug2.gif

Are you OK?

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 17 2008, 01:47 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 15 2008, 03:16 PM)
Drum, glad to hear you're doing better.  Winter's almost over. trink39.gif

Then comes the humidity of summer. 062802puke_prv.gif

I'm with you on that one. I miss the Southwest just as much as you do sometimes. Sorry to hear about the relapse. Hang in there, man.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 20 2008, 12:05 AM)

I'm with you on that one. I miss the Southwest just as much as you do sometimes. Sorry to hear about the relapse. Hang in there, man.

Thanks AGK, today was a better day, my Dr has been upping my meds to make sure my levels are up for the next blood test. The weather being warmer here sure makes it feel a hell of a lot better, no headaches!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 20 2008, 01:15 AM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 20 2008, 12:05 AM)

Thanks AGK, today was a better day, my Dr has been upping my meds to make sure my levels are up for the next blood test. The weather being warmer here sure makes it feel a hell of a lot better, no headaches!

I wish you well, Drumnut smile.gif

trink39.gif 1287.gif 1022.gif trink38.gif

I hope I can get my Lamictal level squared away so I can reduce the dosage a little, I'm taking 500mgs twice a day, and from someone I chat with on an Epilepsy forum, that's a lot. It does help me sleep though, maybe a little too much.

bekloppt.gif

Just stopping in to check up on you.

I am sorry to hear that you had a seizure recently. sad.gif

I know that soon you will get your meds all regulated and

feeling better. Just try to do what you can for now. I know

you want to sleep alot, try to fit a little walk into your day.

That may help a bit.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Mar 19 2008, 10:43 AM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 17 2008, 02:05 AM)
Well, so much for that, I had another duzy last night. I did everything I was supposed to but still had one. I hate Epilepsy.  wacko.gif

sad.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Drum hug2.gif

Are you OK?

doh.gif I missed this post, I'm sorry. I'm OK, thanks for asking. I called my Neuro, and he sent me for another blood test. He upped my level to almost double, but he said he only wants to try this for a couple of weeks to get a higher level built up in my system. and well go from there.

How's it going Drumnut? Are the increased meds having any effect? My daughter just had a seizure and I had to give here diazepam to stop it. She had a really active day today - walking and swimming - I think that's caused them. It's been 3 weeks since the last one. I hate seizures!

bekloppt.gif

I hope that you are feeling good today.

I just wanted to tell you that the spring weather

is almost here. I know that you are looking foward

to this as much as I am.

Won't be long now.

hug2.gif

QUOTE (Angua @ Mar 27 2008, 05:34 PM)
How's it going Drumnut?  Are the increased meds having any effect?  My daughter just had a seizure and I had to give here diazepam to stop it.  She had a really active day today - walking and swimming - I think that's caused them.  It's been 3 weeks since the last one.  I hate seizures!

Welcome to The Rush Forum Angua, glad to meet you, but not the reasons why. The increase in meds have been making tired, but if there's anything I need to do is catch up on my sleep. I had been taking Dilantin, and my Dr took me off of that altogether. I never liked Dilantin anyway. It had the side effect of taking speed (diet pills). I hope your daughter's days are seizure-free. I'm on Lamictal and like it so far, except for being tired all the time. My Dr says I should adjust to it better once we get a constant level. Until we do, the thing that sucks are the constant blood tests. I've never tried diazepam for seizures, not as a maintenence drug, but I know I have been given it in the hospital to help stop Gran Mal Seizures.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 28 2008, 03:23 AM)
How's it going Drumnut?  Are the increased meds having any effect?  My daughter just had a seizure and I had to give here diazepam to stop it.  She had a really active day today - walking and swimming - I think that's caused them.  It's been 3 weeks since the last one.  I hate seizures!

Welcome to The Rush Forum Angua, glad to meet you, but not the reasons why. The increase in meds have been making tired, but if there's anything I need to do is catch up on my sleep. I had been taking Dilantin, and my Dr took me off of that altogether. I never liked Dilantin anyway. It had the side effect of taking speed (diet pills). I hope your daughter's days are seizure-free. I'm on Lamictal and like it so far, except for being tired all the time. My Dr says I should adjust to it better once we get a constant level. Until we do, the thing that sucks are the constant blood tests. I've never tried diazepam for seizures, not as a maintenence drug, but I know I have been given it in the hospital to help stop Gran Mal Seizures.

Thanks. We only use diazepam as an emergency thing - if a seizures gone on to long or they are frequent. She's on Epilim for maintenance, but sometimes we get night time Grand Mal seizures. They seem to only happen whilst she's asleep, especially if she's had a lot of physical activity. I worry about her meds being upped as this makes her dopey and tired. It's just finding the right balance I guess. Hope you're doing OK.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 27 2008, 11:23 PM)

Im sure theyve told you this, but on those meds its *especially* important for you to maintain good nutrition, and to get plenty of bona fide Zzzzzz's so as not to make the side effects worse.

Of course this is easier said then done, my diet and sleep habits are for sh-t.

But hang in there man....

By the way, I dont know what level of schooling you have, have you contemplated education as something you could do (college, graduate school, teaching)? A lot of educational work is self-paced or done remote form home, and there is a huge growing area of online education where you could teach from your computer at home... give it some thought!

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 28 2008, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Mar 27 2008, 11:23 PM)

Im sure theyve told you this, but on those meds its *especially* important for you to maintain good nutrition, and to get plenty of bona fide Zzzzzz's so as not to make the side effects worse.

Of course this is easier said then done, my diet and sleep habits are for sh-t.

But hang in there man....

By the way, I dont know what level of schooling you have, have you contemplated education as something you could do (college, graduate school, teaching)? A lot of educational work is self-paced or done remote form home, and there is a huge growing area of online education where you could teach from your computer at home... give it some thought!

I'm trying to get plenty of sleep and eat right, but I'm both a lousy sleeper and eater. I usually only sleep 3-4 hours at a time, and don't eat big meals. I'm more of a picker, eat a little here, eat a little there. I'm doing better with the eating now that I'm not taking Dilantin. Lamictal at least makes me feel like eating as opposed to Dilantin, or Depakote 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Mar 28 2008, 04:09 PM)
By the way, I dont know what level of schooling you have, have you contemplated education as something you could do (college, graduate school, teaching)?  A lot of educational work is self-paced or done remote form home, and there is a huge growing area of online education where you could teach from your computer at home...  give it some thought!

That's one thing about disability I HAVE to investigate. If I want to go to state funded schools, disability will pay for it. I can get paid to be a student reeeeal easy!

Stupid service dog joke...

I was in the supermarket this afternoon, searching through the meat cases for the chicken breasts that were on sale. My service dog, Dillon, was standing calmly by my side. Nearby were two young boys and their mother, and the boys were talking about Dillon. The older boy, who looked about 8, was reading Dillon's patches and telling his younger brother that he could not pet the dog, because it was working. The younger boy asked his brother what the dog was doing if it was working. The older boy replied, in a very authoritative voice, "Can't you tell? He's helping her pick out the best meat!".

doh.gif Ba-dum-bum.

QUOTE (Angua @ Apr 11 2008, 03:46 AM)
Glad to hear you're doing OK.  We got an appointment to see the neurologist next month, so perhaps they will look at med changes for my daughter then.

This is the first time I've ever tried Lamictal. I haven't felt as good as I do right now in a few years. I have to admit the warmer weather has something to do with it too. Does your daughter say she's cold all the time? I know I am. My neurologist put me on Lamictal a short while back, and it's been doing well for me. The best thing for me is my appetite, I've read on Epilepsy forums where people have trouble putting on weight with Lamictal, but I could use a few pounds. I've always been skinny, and a very light eater. Not eating enough, or eating right, or eating at all has been my downfall as far as my E goes. I've tried many different meds, and each is different with it's own side-effects, and Lamictal is the first one that seems to agree with my Epilepsy. I'll worry about the weight later. For right now, I'm just trying to do the stupid right things the easy way: Eat right, take my meds, and get plenty of rest. That's all I have to do to not have seizures, at least that's what they tell me. Right?

Good luck with a med change next month. Lamictal seems to be working for me so far. :knocks wood: I hope you can find a med for your daughter that agrees with her. One of the side effects of Lamictal is it makes you drowsy. Dilantin makes me feel like I'm on speed, I never had an appetite on Dilantin. I've never met anyone that Dilantin works well for. Depakote is another one I took when I was younger, but don't remember the side effects. There are many out there, it seems the best thing for me is that I've finally found one that I have an appetite with. Eating right is very important, and I can say I'm guilty of not doing that because of the way Dilantin made me feel. Stay in touch, if you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter?