Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

Well we saw the neurologist yesterday (and actually saw the consultant in person) and were slowly upping sodium valproate over 2 months. If that doesn't help or she's getting too drowsy we're to go back and he'll try something else. At least things are being looked at now. Hope you're doing OK Drumnut bekloppt.gif

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here on Keppra? I understand it's outrageously expensive - a neighbor just put their dog on it -

QUOTE (Marathonist @ May 25 2008, 04:16 PM)
Anyone here on Keppra?  I understand it's outrageously expensive - a neighbor just put their dog on it -

I've never tried it and I'm on Disability, so that takes care of the cost of my meds.

I doubt if you can get Disability for a pet... sad.gif There are less expensive meds out there. I've never taken it, so I'm not sure of the cost or side effects. If I were your neighbor, I would see if there's a less expensive med they can put their dog on.

My application for a seizure response dog came today, I'm going to get it in the mail first thing in the morning. No seizures today, no headaches, I guess you could call it a good day.

Today while I was making balloon animals and painting faces at a restaurant a cute little blond girl age 8-9 came up.....As always I charmed her into her comfort zone. She emediatly started talking about how she just came from her Dr. and how she has Epileptic, seizures.....She looked completely normal. By saying that, I mean she looked as normal as any other child you'd come across....

Anyway, I told her a story of a kid I new since as far back as I can remember who had seizures. I told her how they cured them by her teens and how today she's completely normal....then, I told her how it's a sigh of having a brain that's known to do great things...And how people live long lives all the time with the condition.....You see, by her tone as she was telling me about her condition I could see she was pretty beat down...Even though she didn't let it show....So, I tried to reinforce some good points about the issue....

If you think you're gonna die....You usually do.....If you focus on life and gettin' on with it you are much less likely to die....

She wouldn't leave after I had this talk with her......She just stood there while I tended to all the other kids and smiled and socialized with the other kids.....I made her something very special that took over 6 balloons....Painted a rainbow butterfly on her cheek....Her parents finished their meal....Gathered her up and walked out the door.....

I can't stop thinking about her.....Poor girl.

Edited by yes.2

QUOTE (yes.2 @ May 27 2008, 02:20 AM)
Today while I was making balloon animals and painting faces at a restaurant a cute little blond girl age 8-9 came up.....As always I charmed her into her comfort zone. She emediatly started talking about how she just came from her Dr. and how she has Epileptic, seizures.....She looked completely normal. By saying that, I mean she looked as normal as any other child you'd come across....

Anyway, I told her a story of a kid I new since as far back as I can remember who had seizures. I told her how they cured them by her teens and how today she's completely normal....then, I told her how it's a sigh of having a brain that's known to do great things...And how people live long lives all the time with the condition.....You see, by her tone as she was telling me about her condition I could see she was pretty beat down...Even though she didn't let it show....So, I tried to reinforce some good points about the issue....

If you think you're gonna die....You usually do.....If you focus on life and gettin' on with it you are much less likely to die....

She wouldn't leave after I had this talk with her......She just stood there while I tended to all the other kids and smiled and socialized with the other kids.....I made her something very special that took over 6 balloons....Painted a rainbow butterfly on her cheek....Her parents finished their meal....Gathered her up and walked out the door.....

I don't know if I'll ever be able to 'cure' mine at my age, (age hidden to protect the guilty) old.gif

It was later in life when mine started, I was in my mid 30's. All I can do is take it one day at a time to help prevent them, make sure I eat right, take my meds and get plenty of rest. I see young children when I go to my Neurologist, and feel for them with Epilepsy at their age. It's hard to look at a young child like that and know they go through the same thing I do. Their innocent faces just break my heart and hope what you said happens, just hope they grow out of it. I have a malignant cyst on my brain, and they thing thats were they originate. Surgery is not really an option, so I just have to learn to live with them and do what I can to prevent them.

Do people sometimes just grow out of epilepsy? I've heard of a decrease in seizure frequency with age before, but are there cases where the seizures just go away entirely?

QUOTE (yes.2 @ May 27 2008, 02:20 AM)

You are a great person for that!

None today, spent most of the day bangin' on my drums and making other various noises, I'm sure my neighbors love me by now. Compared to the 20 inch Zildjian ride I used to use makes my 22 inch Paragon ride sound loud and awesome, the bell on it rings like a church bell.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jun 1 2008, 10:54 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jun 1 2008, 11:52 PM)
Good day today, big breakfast with friends today that put me into a deep food induced coma for a few hours.  laugh.gif

A big meal like that usually makes for a good day for me.

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

trink39.gif