Epilepsy, seizures...

Drumnut

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 12 2008, 06:24 AM)
QUOTE (Angua @ Apr 11 2008, 03:46 AM)
Glad to hear you're doing OK.  We got an appointment to see the neurologist next month, so perhaps they will look at med changes for my daughter then.

This is the first time I've ever tried Lamictal. I haven't felt as good as I do right now in a few years. I have to admit the warmer weather has something to do with it too. Does your daughter say she's cold all the time? I know I am. My neurologist put me on Lamictal a short while back, and it's been doing well for me. The best thing for me is my appetite, I've read on Epilepsy forums where people have trouble putting on weight with Lamictal, but I could use a few pounds. I've always been skinny, and a very light eater. Not eating enough, or eating right, or eating at all has been my downfall as far as my E goes. I've tried many different meds, and each is different with it's own side-effects, and Lamictal is the first one that seems to agree with my Epilepsy. I'll worry about the weight later. For right now, I'm just trying to do the stupid right things the easy way: Eat right, take my meds, and get plenty of rest. That's all I have to do to not have seizures, at least that's what they tell me. Right?

Good luck with a med change next month. Lamictal seems to be working for me so far. :knocks wood: I hope you can find a med for your daughter that agrees with her. One of the side effects of Lamictal is it makes you drowsy. Dilantin makes me feel like I'm on speed, I never had an appetite on Dilantin. I've never met anyone that Dilantin works well for. Depakote is another one I took when I was younger, but don't remember the side effects. There are many out there, it seems the best thing for me is that I've finally found one that I have an appetite with. Eating right is very important, and I can say I'm guilty of not doing that because of the way Dilantin made me feel. Stay in touch, if you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter?

My daughters 15, but the brain injury she had as a baby (the result of an undiagnosed genetic endocrine disorder) has left her much more like a 5 year old. She also has calcifications in her brain. Interesting what you say about feeling cold - she is always cold, even when it's really warm, especially her hands and feet. She also needs to sleep a lot but her appetite is good. It's been 5 days since the last seizure so it's a good day today. Keep well. smile.gif

Edited by Angua

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Apr 12 2008, 05:30 PM)
I have seizures too. Luckily mine are well controlled with medication and I haven't had one in almost a year. Sorry to hear drumnut has so much trouble with them though.

Glad to hear that you are able to get good control with meds. My daughter had been seizure free for several years until last summer, really well controlled then wallop! Keep well.

QUOTE (Sticklah @ Apr 12 2008, 12:30 PM)
I have seizures too. Luckily mine are well controlled with medication and I haven't had one in almost a year. Sorry to hear drumnut has so much trouble with them though.

If you don't mind me asking, what medication are you taking? Are you on disability?

QUOTE (missionman @ Apr 12 2008, 02:01 AM)
Drumnut...I hope ya found a pill that really works for ya there buddy. smile.gif

I hope so this time too, it's been a crap shoot with meds for me for years.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 15 2008, 10:17 PM)
None today, I'm sleeping too much on Lamictal. I need to find a way to make money on this stupid computer, I spend too much time on it anyway. http://foolstown.com/sm/lam.gif

Play the market.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 15 2008, 10:21 PM)
None today, I'm sleeping too much on Lamictal. I need to find a way to make money on this stupid computer, I spend too much time on it anyway. http://foolstown.com/sm/lam.gif

Play the market.

Never have before, have any advice on where to get started?

E strikes again, I had 3 consecutive seizures after 6 in the evening on Wednesday the 16th. I called my Neurologist the day before and told him I didn't think my dosage was high enough. I had an appointment today, and told him I was right. Must have pissed him off, they didn't even charge me a co-pay or make a follow-up appointment. I'll call on Monday and give them sh!t about it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 15 2008, 11:12 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Apr 15 2008, 10:21 PM)

Play the market.

Never have before, have any advice on where to get started?

Read as many books as you can on how to do it. There are many different styles, so find one that's right for you. Afterwards, if you decide to try, start very small with each play you put on until you feel more comfortable. Do not expect to become an instant millionaire. It is harder than it looks, and it can be very frustrating when things don't go your way. Besides books on how to pick stocks, make sure you also read about money management and capital preservation. Good luck if you decide to pursue this.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Apr 19 2008, 01:18 AM)
E strikes again, I had 3 consecutive seizures after 6 in the evening on Wednesday the 16th. I called my Neurologist the day before and told him I didn't think my dosage was high enough. I had an appointment today, and told him I was right. Must have pissed him off, they didn't even charge me a co-pay or make a follow-up appointment. I'll call on Monday and give them sh!t about it. tongue.gif

Sorry to hear this. Hope you get it sorted.

I have an appointment to meet a seizure response dog this Thursday. They tell me it's a love at first sight kind of thing, if the dog and I don't 'hit it off' right away, I should meet another dog. I'm pretty easy going, I am going to bring a small boom-box and if he/she doesn't like Rush, I'm going to meet another one. I'll keep him/her away from the drums too, I know dogs have sensitive hearing. tongue.gif

hello there bekloppt.gif

Just wanted to see how things are going?

How did you make out with the dog on Thurs?

I really hope taht you are feeling better than

you were last week. hug2.gif

No dog this time, I met the dog, and we hit it off, but then they tell me it was already spoken for, now I have to wait for another one. No seizures in a while, just trying to work @ perfect. The new med still doin' it's thing. I'm pissed @ my Neuro for not trying it sooner.

Glad to hear that the meds are doing their stuff. Bit of a downer on the dog front, but hopefully they'll be able to sort one for you. Weird experience this week for us, Em had a seizure (in her sleep) and whilst I was with her in the post-ictal phase our cat jumped on her bed and fussed her. This brought her round really quickly and she was pleased to see the cat. Usually she comes round very upset and groggy but this time she was quite calm and smiley at the cat! Dunno if there is a link, but perhaps it is an animal thing.

QUOTE (Angua @ May 1 2008, 03:30 AM)
Glad to hear that the meds are doing their stuff.  Bit of a downer on the dog front, but hopefully they'll be able to sort one for you.  Weird experience this week for us, Em had a seizure (in her sleep) and whilst I was with her in the post-ictal phase our cat jumped on her bed and fussed her.  This brought her round really quickly and she was pleased to see the cat.  Usually she comes round very upset and groggy but this time she was quite calm and smiley at the cat!  Dunno if there is a link, but perhaps it is an animal thing.

Must be the animal thing, I had a cat before I started to have seizures, that would meow at me if when I was angry until I picked her up and held and pet her for a while, that used to always calm us both down. I had two cats for 5 years, and cats hate water, but one of them loved my waterbed because it was warm.

None today, my Migraines were clearing up for a few days because the weather was dry. It's been raining all day again, so I'll probably wake up with one. I hate living in a swamp, I want to move back to a dry climate where I had much better control of my Epilepsy and wasn't taking meds that make me feel goofy. wacko.gif angry.gif