Wal-Mart news

barney_rebel

Wal-Mart hit with $7.5M jury verdict

Jury found the discounter discriminated against a disabled employee; assigning him to garbage duty.

February 24, 2005: 4:04 PM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A New York jury ordered Wal-Mart to pay $7.5 million in damages to a disabled former employee in a class-action lawsuit in which he claimed the retailer unfairly reassigned him to garbage duty even though he was hired to work in the pharmacy department.

The plaintiff, 21-year-old Long Island resident Patrick Brady, suffers from cerebral palsy. According to the plaintiff's attorney Douglas Wigdor, Brady applied for a position in the pharmacy unit of a Wal-Mart store in Centereach, NY. and was hired in the summer of 2002.

But Brady, who worked for just four days before he quit, claimed he was soon reassigned to other responsibilities that included collecting garbage and shopping carts in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

The jury's multi-million dollar award to Brady Wednesday includes $5 million in punitive damages, which is likely to be reduced to between $300,000 and $800,000, according to Wigdor.

"We appreciate the service of the jurors, but disagree with their decision," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Davis Gallagher told CNN. "We feel very strongly that Mr. Brady did not suffer discrimination in our store. Wal-Mart does not tolerate discrimination of any kind."

"As soon as Mr. Brady expressed dissatisfaction with his position, we transferred him to another position that he requested. Although the jury has reached a decision, we do not expect the court to enter a final judgment until we have the opportunity to establish how the jury was wrong. We are optimistic that the award will be substantially reduced or eliminated altogether," Gallagher said.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 24 2005, 02:31 PM)

Jury found the discounter discriminated against a disabled employee; assigning him to garbage duty.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A New York jury ordered Wal-Mart to pay $7.5 million in damages to a disabled former employee in a class-action lawsuit in which he claimed the retailer unfairly reassigned him to garbage duty even though he was hired to work in the pharmacy department.

The plaintiff, 21-year-old Long Island resident Patrick Brady, suffers from cerebral palsy. According to the plaintiff's attorney Douglas Wigdor, Brady applied for a position in the pharmacy unit of a Wal-Mart store in Centereach, NY. and was hired in the summer of 2002.

But Brady, who worked for just four days before he quit, claimed he was soon reassigned to other responsibilities that included collecting garbage and shopping carts in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

The jury's multi-million dollar award to Brady Wednesday includes $5 million in punitive damages, which is likely to be reduced to between $300,000 and $800,000, according to Wigdor.

"We appreciate the service of the jurors, but disagree with their decision," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Christi Davis Gallagher told CNN. "We feel very strongly that Mr. Brady did not suffer discrimination in our store. Wal-Mart does not tolerate discrimination of any kind."

"As soon as Mr. Brady expressed dissatisfaction with his position, we transferred him to another position that he requested. Although the jury has reached a decision, we do not expect the court to enter a final judgment until we have the opportunity to establish how the jury was wrong. We are optimistic that the award will be substantially reduced or eliminated altogether," Gallagher said.

Total BS, I dont care what he has. Do you expect when you are initially hired, especially for such a young person who I am betting doesnt have much experience in pharmaceutical work, to be able to land such a highly desired job as in the pharmacy department? I know from working at Costco that I have been asked to work temporarily in other departments while they have been shorthanded, and understood that as a new hire, I was low man on the totem pole and that any job priorety was going to go towards someone with more time in the company. Sooo sorry kid that they had you doing actual work for your first 4 days wacko.gif

WALMART JOB APPLICATION

This is an actual job application that a 75 year old senior citizen submitted to Wal-mart in Arkansas. They hired him, too, because he was so honest and funny.

NAME: George Martin

SEX: Not lately, but I am looking for the right woman (or at least, one who'll cooperate).

DESIRED POSITION: Company President or Vice President. But seriously, whatever's available. If I was in a position to be picky, I wouldn't be applying here in the first place.

DESIRED SALARY: $185,000 a year plus stock options and a Michael Ovitz style severance package. If that's not possible, make an offer and we can haggle.

EDUCATION: Yes.

LAST POSITION HELD: Target for middle management hostility.

PREVIOUS SALARY: A lot less than I'm worth.

MOST NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT: My incredible collection of stolen pens and post-it notes.

REASON FOR LEAVING: It sucked.

HOURS AVAILABLE TO WORK: Any.

PREFERRED HOURS: 1:30-3:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SPECIAL SKILLS?: Yes, but they're better suited to a more intimate environment

MAY WE CONTACT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER?: If I had one, would I be here?

DO YOU HAVE ANY PHYSICAL CONDITIONS THAT WOULD PROHIBIT YOU FROM LIFTING UP TO 50 lbs.?: Of what?

DO YOU HAVE A CAR?: I think the more appropriate question here would be "Do You have a car that runs?"

HAVE YOU RECEIVED ANY SPECIAL AWARDS OR RECOGNITION?: I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes, so they tell Me.

DO YOU SMOKE?: On the job - no, on my breaks - no.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE DOING IN FIVE YEARS?: Living in the Bahamas with a fabulously wealthy dumb sexy blonde supermodel who thinks I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. Actually, I'd like to be doing that now.

DO YOU CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE IS TRUE AND COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR KNOWLEDGE?: Oh Yes, Absolutely.

SIGN HERE: Sagittarius

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 24 2005, 05:31 PM)

That's the walmart I go to and fill my prescriptions, last time I went there they accidently gave me 60 too many Vicodins. I didn't complain. trink38.gif

Gods honest truth.

Edited by Indica

QUOTE (troutman @ Mar 11 2005, 10:54 PM)
LAWYERS, LAWYERS & MORE LAWYERS rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK VERY sad.gif sad.gif

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

Wal-Mart Still Retail's Greatest Market Challenge: Survey

MAY 06, 2005 -- CHICAGO -- Wal-Mart continues to be seen by other retailers as their primary market challenges in the next decade, according to a study conducted by Capgemini U.S. LLC, a global consultant on technology and outsourcing, at the Food Marketing Institute convention.

According to a survey of more than 10,000 participants that attended the FMI show earlier this week, even though many retailers face such challenges as industry consolidation (19 percent), sector blurring (18 percent), and the Internet (17 percent), more than 40 percent of respondents said they believe that Wal-Mart be a formidable opponent to their businesses in the next decade.

To counter this threat, retailers said they plan to drive profits by penetrating new markets (39 percent), lowering operating costs (18 percent), investing in new technology (17 percent) and improving customer service (16 percent).

The survey confirmed that almost half of retailers are seeing their SG&A costs continuing to increase.

"The survey demonstrates that many retail companies are focused on beating the retail giants, yet they are unclear on how to best counteract the threat," said Tom Compernolle, Capgemini Consumer Products and Retail practice leader, North America. "Though penetrating new markets is very important, companies should also focus on streamlining their supply chains and investing in new technologies that will eliminate inefficiencies and waste."

http://www.progressivegrocer.com/progressi...t_id=1000911730

Transmitted by CNW Group on : May 7, 2005 09:07

Wal-Mart Canada sets the record straight

What the UFCW union doesn't want Canadians to know.

MISSISSAUGA, ON, May 7 /CNW/ - Wal-Mart Canada today issued the following

statement regarding the latest action and demonstrations by the United Food

and Commercial Workers union (UFCW) and Canadian Labour Congress against the

company and its associates.

Who is the UFCW union?

----------------------

The United Food and Commercial Workers union is a very large and powerful

American-based union. They have been running one of the most aggressive

campaigns on record to try and unionize Wal-Mart workers across the U.S. and

Canada. To date, however, not a single Wal-Mart store in Canada has voted to

join the union. As a result, the UFCW's tactics have become increasingly

aggressive.

What are Canadians Saying About Wal-Mart?

-----------------------------------------

Research shows the UFCW's endless public attacks on Wal-Mart are not

working. In a recent nationwide poll conducted by Ipsos-Reid which asked

Canadians their opinions on 20 major Canadian companies, Wal-Mart ranked

number three for positive reputation, number three for ethical business

practices, number three for caring about communities, and number two for

contributing to the well-being of children.

Wal-Mart Canada Workers Complain UFCW Harasses Them at Their Homes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Wal-Mart Canada has received numerous complaints from its associates

across Canada that they have received unwanted and coercive contact at home

from the UFCW. The company has received many reports of union reps actually

visiting associates' homes numerous times in one evening until associates

finally agreed to sign a union card.

UFCW Turns Violent Against Hourly Wal-Mart Worker

-------------------------------------------------

In Windsor, Ontario, in March, a National Staff Representative for the

UFCW was arrested by Windsor police and charged with violently assaulting an

hourly Wal-Mart worker. The Wal-Mart worker required hospital attention

following the union official's assault. This incident shocked Wal-Mart and the

people of Windsor, particularly because the assault came from a senior UFCW

representative actively involved in organizing efforts.

Saskatchewan Wal-Mart Associates Charge UFCW with Coercion

----------------------------------------------------------

In Saskatchewan, Wal-Mart associates in two different stores (North

Battleford and Weyburn) have retained their own lawyer and have brought formal

charges against the UFCW claiming the union coerced them into signing union

cards. These two cases are currently before the Saskatchewan Labour Relations

Board.

UFCW Disregards Student Privacy & Exploits Student/Teacher Relationship

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

in B.C.

-------

In British Columbia, a senior UFCW organizer recently admitted under oath

that the union has asked B.C. teachers for the names of school students who

work at Wal-Mart so that the UFCW can try and persuade these students to sign

union cards. This is an exploitation of the student/teacher relationship. Last

week Wal-Mart Canada filed reports regarding these organizing tactics with the

B.C. Privacy Commissioner and the B.C. College of Teachers.

Union Refuses to Take "No" for an Answer

----------------------------------------

Despite the union's increasingly aggressive tactics, Wal-Mart Canada

associates continue to vote against the union. In fact they have voted against

the union on five separate occasions over the past 24 months alone, in

Jonquiere, Quebec; Brossard, Quebec; Windsor, Ontario; and twice in Thompson,

Manitoba.

Why is the Union Targeting Wal-Mart Canada Associates so Aggressively?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wal-Mart Canada believes this campaign is ultimately all about money for

the union. We believe the union is looking for union dues to finance their

operation. If they could collect union dues from our thousands of Canadian

associates across the country, this could amount to millions of dollars a year

for the union, out of the pockets of Wal-Mart associates.

What Kind of Employer is Wal-Mart Canada?

-----------------------------------------

Wal-Mart Canada employs more than 70,000 Canadians and has been

independently ranked the best retailer to work for in Canada three times out

of the past four years by leading human-resources firm Hewitt Associates and

Report on Business Magazine, (2001, 2003, 2004). This ranking is based largely

on a survey of Wal-Mart associates across Canada. Wal-Mart Canada also has one

of the lowest staff turnover rates in the Canadian retail industry - about

15 percent lower than the national retail average.

-30-

/For further information: or an interview please contact Andrew

Pelletier, (905) 821-2111, ext. 4585 or Kevin Groh at ext. 8012/

Things to do in Wal-Mart while your wife is taking her swee@ss time.

. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they aren't looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the restrooms.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone,"Code3" in housewares...and see what happens.

5. Go the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on lay away.

6. Move a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the camping department and tell other shoppers you'll invite them in if they bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. Look right into the security camera and use it as a mirror and pick your nose.

10. While handling guns in the hunting department, ask the clerk if he knows where the anti-depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the theme from "Mission Impossible."

12. In the auto department, practice your "Madonna look" using different size funnels.

13. Hide in a clothing rack and when people browse through, say "PICK ME!" "PICK ME!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal position and scream "NO! NO! It's those voices again!!!!"

15. Go into a fitting room, shut the door and wait a while and then yell loudly "There is no toilet paper in here!"

Workers keep right to flirt

Thu Jun 16,11:37 AM ET

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - A German court has upheld the right of Wal-Mart staff in Germany to flirt at work, a spokesman said Thursday, showing that Germany's restrictive labor laws also have their permissive aspects.

The court rejected parts of Wal-Mart's code of conduct relating to employees' love lives, alcohol and drug use and a requirement for staff to report code violations via a so-called ethics hotline, the spokesman said.

He could not immediately confirm the grounds on which the Wuppertal employment court had ordered the clauses to be removed for German staff, saying the judge's opinion was still in the process of being written.

The Financial Times Deutschland said the court had found the clauses, including one banning "any kind of communication that could be interpreted as sexual," contradicted German labor law, in its ruling on the case brought by Wal-Mart's works council.

Wal-Mart Germany, which is based in Wuppertal and can appeal against the decision, had no immediate comment.

The ruling could have far-reaching effects for U.S. companies with staff in Germany. Such restrictions are increasingly common in U.S. corporate culture as firms seek to prevent scandals that could damage their reputation.

An affair with a female executive led to the downfall of Boeing's chief executive in March. The company fired Harry Stonecipher when the affair came to light, saying his conduct broke company rules and damaged his ability to lead.

Philanthropist and Entrepreneur John Walton Killed in Airplane Crash

Monday June 27, 8:19 pm ET

BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- It is with great sorrow that Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., announces the death of John Walton. A Vietnam War hero, member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors and philanthropist, Walton was killed when the ultra-light aircraft he was piloting crashed shortly after take-off from the Jackson Hole Airport in Grand Teton National Park. The crash occurred at approximately 1:20 p.m. CDT and the cause has not yet been determined. Walton, 58, was the aircraft's sole occupant.

Walton was the second son of Wal-Mart founder, Sam Walton.

As a board member of the Walton Family Foundation, Walton played a leading role in guiding the Foundation's contributions to elementary and high school education, including scholarship programs to provide parents with greater choice in education.

Walton served in the U.S. Army Green Berets as a medic during the Vietnam War. He was awarded the Silver Star for saving the lives of several members of his unit while under intense enemy fire.

Walton pursued a variety of business interests throughout his life, including work as a crop duster in the 1970s and as a boat builder in the 1980s and 1990s. More recently, Walton formed the holding company True North, which is composed of businesses ranging from advanced composites to boat building to venture capital investments.

Walton has been a member of the Wal-Mart Board of Directors since 1992.

Walton attended the College of Wooster. He is survived by his wife Christy and their son, Luke; his mother Helen; two brothers, Rob and Jim; a sister, Alice; and their families.

No funeral arrangements have been announced.

biz.yahoo.com/prnews

The film "WalMart: The High Cost Of Low Price" is being shown tomorrow here. I may go see it. This town passed a Big Box Ordinance that forced them to locate in the next town over years ago.

WalMart is a big issue here right now. They want to close their two stores in the area and open SuperCenters. There is huge resistance on the part of the public, and the two city councils affected have both rejected Walmart's plans. Of course, they appealed to the state Land Use Board Of Appeals. It's an ongoing struggle.

QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
The film "WalMart: The High Cost Of Low Price" is being shown tomorrow here. I may go see it. This town passed a Big Box Ordinance that forced them to locate in the next town over years ago.

WalMart is a big issue here right now. They want to close their two stores in the area and open SuperCenters. There is huge resistance on the part of the public, and the two city councils affected have both rejected Walmart's plans. Of course, they appealed to the state Land Use Board Of Appeals. It's an ongoing struggle.

I want to see that movie so bad... I heard it was excellent.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 18 2005, 12:38 PM)
QUOTE (Grandpa Grizz @ Nov 18 2005, 01:37 PM)
The film "WalMart:  The High Cost Of Low Price" is being shown tomorrow here.  I may go see it.  This town passed a Big Box Ordinance that forced them to locate in the next town over years ago.

WalMart is a big issue here right now.  They want to close their two stores in the area and open SuperCenters.  There is huge resistance on the part of the public, and the two city councils affected have both rejected Walmart's plans.  Of course, they appealed to the state Land Use Board Of Appeals.  It's an ongoing struggle.

I want to see that movie so bad... I heard it was excellent.

I'll post about it, if I go.