Faithless: anyone else really into this one

treeduck

Why do people make such a big thing about song lyrics? I mean it's nothing personal with anyone else, Neil just wrote a song, he didn't set out to piss off religious folk. If you hate lyrics to this particular song so much then skip it and pray they don't play it live...

I never judge a song on it's lyrics first, if the song sounds good enough musically it's not an issue with me, and I've yet to be offended by a lyric yet.

(Though I my eyebrows did raise Spock-like as a 12 year old when my sister blasted out "(Oh Bondage Up Yours" by X-Ray Specs on the stereo back in about 1979)

ohmy.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 30 2007, 12:34 AM)
Why do people make such a big thing about song lyrics? I mean it's nothing personal with anyone else, Neil just wrote a song, he didn't set out to piss off religious folk. If you hate lyrics to this particular song so much then skip it and pray they don't play it live...

I never judge a song on it's lyrics first, if the song sounds good enough musically it's not an issue with me, and I've yet to be offended by a lyric yet.

(Though I my eyebrows did raise Spock-like as a 12 year old when my sister blasted out "(Oh Bondage Up Yours" by X-Ray Specs on the stereo back in about 1979)

ohmy.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif

Agree with this 100%

i love the music..the opening is beatlesque..like revolver..the violin is amazing..musically one of the best songs they have done imo..but lyrically neil crossed the line of being objective and universal in his message..it just sounds forced and pedantic...

How have I missed posting to this thread?

I'll give you two guesses as to whether or not I dig the song. biggrin.gif

Edited by Faithless

QUOTE (Brass Eye @ Jun 29 2007, 08:45 AM)
The book is a complete insult to the intelligence.

"You've obviously never read the book. Anyone who actually has read the book and says it is an "insult to intelligence" is a palpable idiot."

Oh, but I did read the book. As a Catholic, I felt the need, however distasteful I found it, to actually trawl my way through this unpleasant, badly edited, tome of hate speech. This man Dawkins is nothing more than egotist charlatan.

And, Pedro, I don't mind people having differing opinions to me, it's what humanity is about, but don't descend to name calling. It's just stupid and a waste of time.

Edited by Brass Eye

QUOTE (Brass Eye @ Jun 30 2007, 07:29 AM)

"You've obviously never read the book. Anyone who actually has read the book and says it is an "insult to intelligence" is a palpable idiot."

Oh, but I did read the book. As a Catholic, I felt the need, however distasteful I found it, to actually trawl my way through this unpleasant, badly edited, tome of hate speech. This man Dawkins is nothing more than egotist charlatan.

And, Pedro, I don't mind people having differing opinions to me, it's what humanity is about, but don't descend to name calling. It's just stupid and a waste of time.

So you read the book and you claim that it is an "insult to one's intelligence"? Name one single passage in the book that is not backed up by scientific fact.

Look, I am not suggesting I agree with Dawkins (I don't). But he has an opinion, and frankly an opinion that is expotentially more logical and based on reason than his detractors. I could see someone saying, "I get what he's saying, I just think he's wrong about some things." This is my point of view. But to say that the book is an insult to intelligence is wrong. So wrong that anyone who has actually read the book and says that either has a completely closed mind or is a palpable idiot.

haven't read dawkins, but agree with the sentiments of the lyrics to this one 100%

...that being said: this is the ONLY song on the album that i just can't get into. granted, it has the best guitar solo from alex in a long while, but other than that, i pretty much can't stand anything about it (even the lyrics, with which i still agree, however)

it boggles my mind to hear people criticizing "the larger bowl" and others, and then praise this one as either the best, or one of the best songs of off S&A...how could this be?! confused13.gif

QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 1 2007, 03:53 PM)
...how could this be?! confused13.gif

People have different tastes.

In other news, fire is hot.

"People have different tastes.

In other news, fire is hot."

um, yeah, thanks, genius...people have different tastes--really?

perhaps that's what the "how could this be" in my post was emphasizing: i.e. just how DIFFERENT my take was with respect to this song?

Well what Peart says in Faithless doesn't bother me at all, what he believes is up to him, it's his soul on the line, not ours.

But keep in mind, even though he didn't attack a specific religion, or say "Hey, I don't need your Jesus to have hope etc", people need to know there are some out there who would kill an "unbeliever", simply for not believing. Our freedom to speak out is something to fight for, which I think we can see the boundaries of being tested in our days.

"Better watch what you say"... Peart said it best...

QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 1 2007, 04:54 PM)

Yes. Really.

perhaps that's what the "how could this be" in my post was emphasizing:  i.e. just how DIFFERENT my take was with respect to this song?

If you knew the answer, then why did you ask the question?

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 15 2007, 05:08 PM)
No big song dissection from me, just this: I'm really loving this tune at the moment and of course it has a cool gee-tar lead break. Anyone else really liking this tune more than at first (though I thought it was pretty good right away)??

1022.gif smile.gif

i've been diggin this tune since the album came out. sometimes i sing it in my head out of nowhere. i dont care what the lyrics are about, and they're not sending a message, they're just words. i love this song. 2.gif

QUOTE (Faithless @ Jul 1 2007, 10:36 PM)
QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 1 2007, 04:54 PM)

Yes. Really.

perhaps that's what the "how could this be" in my post was emphasizing:  i.e. just how DIFFERENT my take was with respect to this song?

If you knew the answer, then why did you ask the question?

No way, REALLY? Do you really think any of us are that oblivious to the fact that we have different tastes--really? Or do you just feel the need to let people know how clever/witty you can--or can't--be? The "fire is hot" thing is really over-used on this forum, don't you think?

AND--I wasn't asking for an ANSWER--ever hear of rhetorical/expressive questions (for the record, this is NOT a rhetorical/expressive question)?

...regardless, i thought i made it clear why it was "asked": emphasizing/acknowledging how different all of our tastes can really be.

gees...

QUOTE (gedfan @ Jul 1 2007, 11:16 PM)
No way, REALLY?  Do you really think any of us are that oblivious to the fact that we have different tastes--really?

No, I'd certainly hope not.

QUOTE (gedfan)
Or do you just feel the need to let people know how clever/witty you can--or can't--be?

No. That's not why I'm here.

QUOTE (gedfan)
The "fire is hot" thing is really over-used on this forum, don't you think?

I hadn't seen it used previously, so, no. If my usage offended you I unreservedly apologize.

QUOTE (gedfan)
AND--I wasn't asking for an ANSWER--ever hear of rhetorical/expressive questions (for the record, this is NOT a rhetorical/expressive question)?

Perhaps you could have appropriately rephrased your question then, or maybe could have phrased it as a statement.

QUOTE (gedfan)
...regardless, i thought i made it clear why it was "asked":  emphasizing/acknowledging how different all of our tastes can really be.

gees...

Easy, now. I'm really not trying to be a jerk here, and mean no offense. From your original post I received the impression that you dislike the song (and to a significant degree), and as such you're baffled why others don't share your opinion. That struck me as being a bit blinkered and unnecessarily indignant, which is why I responded in the manner I did.

I realize people are very passionate about their likes and dislikes. All I was attempting to underscore: different folks enjoy different tunes, and it's not particularly productive to so passionately argue subjectivity.

Again, if I've offended you, I apologize. It certainly wasn't my intent.

2.gif on.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 30 2007, 02:29 PM)

So you read the book and you claim that it is an "insult to one's intelligence"? Name one single passage in the book that is not backed up by scientific fact.

Look, I am not suggesting I agree with Dawkins (I don't). But he has an opinion, and frankly an opinion that is expotentially more logical and based on reason than his detractors. I could see someone saying, "I get what he's saying, I just think he's wrong about some things." This is my point of view. But to say that the book is an insult to intelligence is wrong. So wrong that anyone who has actually read the book and says that either has a completely closed mind or is a palpable idiot.

I have not read the book either, but ironicly shortly after the other Faithless thread was closed, the pastor at my church made reference of reading Dawkin's book.

He commented most notebly that other athiestic philosophers had reviewed the book and were embarrassed somewhat on how vitriolic it was, and that Dawkins should stick to his scientific field.

My Pastor has his masters degrees in History , and Philosophy, and his doctorate degree in Divinity. He gives his sermons in blue jeans and a t-shirt, and we worship to rock music on Sunday mornings.

I have yet to read Dawkins book, but I already can tell you that doubt he has raised many issues that I havent grappled with before.

It is not like the christian faith is something that only the uneducated hold onto , or that it was something made up at an 8th grader slumber party.

I wish I could cite the athiestic detractors of Dawkin's book , because it would show that it was not only the christains who found the book lacking.

QUOTE (faultline @ Jul 2 2007, 12:14 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jun 30 2007, 02:29 PM)

I have not read the book either, but ironicly shortly after the other Faithless thread was closed, the pastor at my church made reference of reading Dawkin's book.

He commented most notebly that other athiestic philosophers had reviewed the book and were embarrassed somewhat on how vitriolic it was, and that Dawkins should stick to his scientific field.

My Pastor has his masters degrees in History , and Philosophy, and his doctorate degree in Divinity. He gives his sermons in blue jeans and a t-shirt, and we worship to rock music on Sunday mornings.

I have yet to read Dawkins book, but I already can tell you that doubt he has raised many issues that I havent grappled with before.

It is not like the christian faith is something that only the uneducated hold onto , or that it was something made up at an 8th grader slumber party.

I wish I could cite the athiestic detractors of Dawkin's book , because it would show that it was not only the christains who found the book lacking.

I found it lacking, also, and I also found it incredibly over-vitriolic. However, that is not what we were discussing.

Sorry.

This song have snook up from behind! It is a killer tune, I hope they play this live. It is a lot of cool guitarwork taking place on this song.

The lyrics are extremely good! Despite writing that ,I dont kick the believers of the true faith. smile.gif

Hey, what about them fat and rich telly preachers? Healing people through the screen? laugh.gif

I made a CD of the setlist to listen to (and tried to put on as many live cuts as possible for ambience) and I've been listening to that for a couple weeks.

I always dug Faithless when S & A first came out. I've gone back to listening to S & A right now, and I'm wishing that the boys would play the entire new CD live on this tour. I don't know how to explain it, but I'm completely into every song on S & A.