We Hold On

vital signz

While driving to work this am I was listening to this, and as I heard the middle eastern sounding grace notes Alex keeps playing throughout the song and the solo itself which has the same undertones to it, it occurred to me that the band is trying to place that type of ethnic sound to the song and Neil could be directly writing about Iraq and the soldiers there and even if it wasn't his primary thought behind the song, the lyrics and the overall flavor of the song truly hit me much much more deeply now that I think in this way while listening to it.

See what you all think and let me know if you agree...

When you read these lyrics:

How many times

Do we tire of all the little battles

Threaten to call it quits

Tempted to cut and run

Battles, and cut and run work for the Iraq war, but I think the song could be also be about getting through difficult periods in one's life.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 10 2007, 08:49 AM)

How many times
Tempted to cut and run

Battles, and cut and run work for the Iraq war, but I think the song could be also be about getting through difficult periods in one's life.

That's pretty much how I see it too, and I sure can relate to these lyrics. Great song.

I also focus on the lyrics "Drive away into the setting sun" and "Keep going until dawn." "Straining against a fate/Measured out in coffee breaks." It sounds to me like it could be a personal struggle through the course of "night" metaphorically.

What I'd like to know is what happens after "we hold on."

wink.gif

QUOTE (Sam Bhattacharya @ May 10 2007, 08:58 AM)
What I'd like to know is what happens after "we hold on."

Hopefully, they release another album. tongue.gif If we look at 'Out Of The Cradle' from VT, the message there was endlessly rocking, and we were rewarded with S&A, so I can only Hope and I Hold On

1022.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ May 10 2007, 10:12 AM)
This is one of my Favorites  yes.gif

Love the lyrics  1022.gif

yes.gif This by far is my favorite...This is that song that you hear in the car and it makes you want to roll down the windows, crank up the volume and just push you foot down on the petal. cool.gif

"Long to slam the front door

Drive away into the setting sun"

"Do we swallow our ambition

Long to give up the same old way

Find another road to take"

"Theres got to be some other way

Way to get me through the day"

From the moment I read the lyrics it seemed to me they were about the everyday and how "we hold on" through each one...

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ May 10 2007, 12:50 PM)
Is Neil going to get a divorce?

I hope not. Seems he is very happy and thanks Carrie on the album in a special way.

But I think the song is about the band "holding on". I really do.

QUOTE (vital signz @ May 10 2007, 07:39 AM)
...Neil could be directly writing about Iraq and the soldiers there...

See what you all think and let me know if you agree...

Personally I think that's quite a stretch. He appears to be speaking in much broader, non-specific terms.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/831/neilessayoe2.gif

yeah....agreed...... much more a general reference. Still with the middle eastern sounds with the guitar it is so cool that it really hits me personally deeply when I think of the situation in the Middle East.....

That's why I love this band. There aren't many bands that can write lyrics/music that move people so emotionally....

Rush is a total experience. Music and Lyrics are like drugs for an addict!

Every time I listen to their new music it is like that feeling you get when you meet that new relationship for the first time....or like when you go to that perfect restaurant for the best meal you have ever had....

These guys are artists in every sense of the word....

What a great album. Thanks a million times guys for such a great recording and all the hard work!!!!!!!!!

I thought Divorce and general real-life problems. Plus the artwork of that Plymouth from the poor looking back alley cut and running through a field... or is it going back home after a failed attempt at running? Maybe his conscience got the better of him?

I don't know what the meaning of the song is yet. All I know is that it friggin ROCKS and it's one hell of an album closer!!

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 20 2007, 06:10 PM)
The more I listen to it the more I've been thinking it's about the band itself...

I totally agree. I think that if they "keep holding on", they will be with us for a long time. 2.gif

Just the broader view, but it does apply well to relationships. Brilliant song.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 10 2007, 07:49 AM)

How many times
Tempted to cut and run

How many times must another line be drawn

unsure.gif

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Jun 1 2007, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 1 2007, 04:16 PM)

unsure.gif

Yeah, yeah....worried to the core I see... rofl3.gif

tongue.gif

I didn't read all of the posts here so I apologize if someone has already expressed this. But I think the song has a broader meaning than just the band or any particular area or issue. I think all he's trying to say is that no matter what life throws at us we forge ahead because we must. It's human nature. And maybe he's implying that, this being in our nature, we don't need religion to hold on, we all do, anyway. Just my opinion.

Archived