Can someone religious like the song "Faithless"?

ReflectedLight

I'm Catholic, but not fanatical and don't force my religion on anyone.

There are some views I don't agree on with the Church, but I'm still

faithful. This brought me to the song "Faithless", which I love the music, but trying to adapt to the lyrics. Am I reading too much into this song because of the fact that it's basically a non-believer song, or one that doesn't believe in God?

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 7 2007, 07:43 PM)
faithful. This brought me to the song "Faithless", which I love the music, but trying to adapt to the lyrics. Am I reading too much into this song because of the fact that it's basically a non-believer song, or one that doesn't believe in God?

Nothing in this song says someone doesn't believe "in God"....just not THE God most Christians like to think is the only God.

Christianity is not the only answer....nor the only option. Christians do not have exclusive right to spiritual guidance, spiritual fulfillment...or morality. The sooner they realize this, the sooner this country will be on much more loving and compassionate ground.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2007, 08:03 PM)
faithful.  This brought me to the song "Faithless", which I love the music, but trying to adapt to the lyrics.  Am I reading too much into this song because of the fact that it's basically a non-believer song, or one that doesn't believe in God?

Nothing in this song says someone doesn't believe "in God"....just not THE God most Christians like to think is the only God.

Christianity is not the only answer....nor the only option. Christians do not have exclusive right to spiritual guidance, spiritual fulfillment...or morality. The sooner they realize this, the sooner this country will be on much more loving and compassionate ground.

Excuse me? Where does the song Faithless even mention Christianity specifically?

Actually it is absolute ignorance like your post here that will keep this country (and the world) from being more compassionate and loving. Ignorant people like you.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ May 7 2007, 09:03 PM)
faithful.  This brought me to the song "Faithless", which I love the music, but trying to adapt to the lyrics.  Am I reading too much into this song because of the fact that it's basically a non-believer song, or one that doesn't believe in God?

Wow. Nice bash on a specific faith there bro.

News to me also that the song Faithless is saying what you have twisted it into here.

Take the time to read this please:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25989

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 7 2007, 07:51 PM)
If you're religious and you like Faithless, then you are going to hell.

dazed025.gif dazed025.gif dazed025.gif don't listen

I wonder what the church would think of these lyrics....

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 7 2007, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 7 2007, 08:51 PM)

dazed025.gif  dazed025.gif  dazed025.gif  don't listen

Can I assume you're just joking around?

Well that's what Christian's believe. If you enjoy anything non-Christian, then you are going to hell.

...at least that's what they tell me when they come knockin' on my door.

I dont see the big deal about Faithless, its NEILS beliefs its not like hes saying "Hey these are MY beliefs and They should be YOURS too!" No hes stating his own opinion, and i have simular beliefs as ones stated in Faithless, but those who are Religious shouldnt be turned away from this song its just his beliefs and because you believe otherwise doesnt mean you should hate it. If i see a song speaking of Jesus and his ways doesnt mean I automatically hate it or have anything in any way against it, its just a song and that is how the writer intended it to be.

And as for the post above, most christians dont believe that way, pretty much only the very strict devout cathlolics do. My family is catholic and for reasons like this is why im not religious anymore. I believe that you should be able to think how you want but at the same be a good person and not judge others because of their beliefs, in my Church i hate to say it but if you listen to anything un-Christian like your pretty much not wanted and thats exactly how religion should not be. And if this offends anyone in anyway im very sorry but this is just what i have experienced.

Religion is one of the most personal things a person can have. For this reason, stick to your beliefs and don't change them based on what anyone else has to say. Life is a journey and each of us choose our own paths, not the paths of others. You can listen and love Faithless without subscribing to the message presented.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 7 2007, 08:22 PM)

Well that's what Christian's believe. If you enjoy anything non-Christian, then you are going to hell.

Well from a Christian I can tell you that you are quite wrong in your "summarization" of Christians. What another ignorant post.

Am I reading too much into this song because of the fact that it's basically a non-believer song, or one that doesn't believe in God?

It's possible that you're reading too much into things, but I can certainly envision how someone faithful might feel a little uncomfortable with some of the subject matter S&A tackles.

Can someone religious like Faithless ? I certainly don't see why not.

You've already stated you love the music, and in my mind that's what's most important; isn't that our main reason for getting toghether here in the first place? smile.gif

You need not agree with the message behind the music in order to embrace or appreciate it. Instead you could acknowledge that the band draws on different sources of inspiration -- and as such, regardless of their personal beliefs, they've generously provided us with an entire album packed with phenomenal music. I'd again point to this parallel: a non-believer can certainly appreciate the beauty of religious music (as I described here). How one strikes the desired balance is ultimately their own choice.

*Edited for grammar/clarity.

QUOTE (Apollo was astonished @ May 7 2007, 08:14 PM)

Excuse me? Where does the song Faithless even mention Christianity specifically?

Actually it is absolute ignorance like your post here that will keep this country (and the world) from being more compassionate and loving. Ignorant people like you.

I wasn't trying to say that the song was specifically about Christianity.

I was just throwing in the fact that I'm Catholic and wasn't trying to imply in any way that being Catholic is the only way to roll.

To each his own, whether you believe or don't.

"A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky."

I realize Neil is writing this on his behalf, but the music is good and I wish it was something I could relate to with the lyrics.

I mean, I have faith in myself and cling to hope, but also believe in something he doesn't.

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 7 2007, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Apollo was astonished @ May 7 2007, 08:14 PM)

I wasn't trying to say that the song was specifically about Christianity.

I was just throwing in the fact that I'm Catholic and wasn't trying to imply in any way that being Catholic is the only way to roll.

To each his own, whether you believe or don't.

"A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky."

I realize Neil is writing this on his behalf, but the music is good and I wish it was something I could relate to with the lyrics.

I mean, I have faith in myself and cling to hope, but also believe in something he doesn't.

I was referring to Presto-Dignation's ignorant post, not yours.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ May 7 2007, 09:22 PM)

First off, no where does this song state anything about Christianity. It could apply to Muslim, Jewish, Christian, etc. faith. It says NOTHING specifically about Christianity.

Second, if your only experience with Christianity is people knocking on your door and telling you that you will go to hell then you need to have other experiences. I am a Christian and I can tell you that not only do I not believe that "all non-Christians will go to hell", I think it is absurd, as I imagine most other Christians would agree. It is not my place or anyone else's to tell you something like that.

Third, quit bashing particular faiths here. Your posts do not have anything to do with the lyrics of this song, they are only designed to bash a particular faith. It won't be tolerated here.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...=0entry890413

I'm Lutheran and I very much enjoy it. Especially the liner note picture! ohmy.gif Amazing artwork!

Yeah, go ahead. Like it. God (as I know Him) didn't just put us here to be ants, he wants us to have some enjoyment too. If that means enjoying something secular... Well, it can't be much worse than overeating! Overeating is gluttony, one of the 7 deadly sins. I don't think God ever said in the Bible that, "If you listen to Neil Peart's position on faith, thou shalt perish in the furnaces of HELL!"

So go ahead. Open your mind. Enjoy. "Empty the cup," as Yusuf Islam would say. smile.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 7 2007, 08:49 PM)
Anybody wondering why religious topics on a non-religious based board usually don't work?  wink.gif

Just take a look at the Available Light forum on Counterparts... I've stopped going in there.

ph34r.gif

I don't see why not. I am an atheist/agnostic and one of my favorite bands is Live. Most of Live's music is filled with religious and spiritual themes. I don't agree with them or 'get' them, but I can still appreciate the music.

There aren't many bands out there that are open about non-belief in a deity, so I think S&A is a breath of fresh air.

If people would just do as we ask and KEEP THE DISCUSSION DIRECTLY ABOUT THE LYRICS then there wouldn't be any of this bullshit.

Nowhere in Neil's lyrics does it mention anything about specific faiths. As someone said yesterday, Neil isn't bashing religion, only the abuse of it. He might be "faithless," but he's not begrudging other people's choice to follow the faith of their choice. And that means our discussions will do likewise.

If any of you haven't read the pinned thread atop this forum, please do so at your earliest convenience. If you can't abide by those rules when discussing the religious nature of the lyrics, then don't post about it.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=25989

Archived