11 Inches gone!

owlswing

Well today was the day.

For the past 2 1/2 years I have been letting my hair grow out to donate it to locks for love. I first had to grow out all color get the last of the color cut out then maintain with trims to keep split ends away...so it has been a long process...but last week we measured and I was there...I had enough to donate and enough to keep some hair on my head. You need more than 10 inches.

I wish I could say I would post a before and after picture but Pags had the camera at work today. I had to go before I changed my mind. unsure.gif I would have done it sooner or later but I was in the right frame of mind today.

It was odd all that time for preparing and I forgot the biggest thing I would for the first time since high school have shoulder length hair again. It's a very strange feeling to go from such long hair to short hair. It's hair it will grow back in time and the kids need it more than I do.

The best news and this is a bit funny - shows how thick my hair is...they had to do it in 2 separate pieces so I really was able to donate enough for 2 people. Now that felt good. smile.gif

Oh yeah my hair weighed 4 lbs not bad on the scale either. rofl3.gif

Now for a new project... confused13.gif

11 inches gone, and your husband was not mutilated in the process. wink.gif cool.gif

That's awesome smile.gif A friend of mine did that a few years back...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 4 2007, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 4 2007, 05:50 PM)
11 inches gone, and your husband was not mutilated in the process.  wink.gif  cool.gif

She said INCHES, not millimeters bud. z7shysterical.gif

It also lends more meaning to that avatar bud. wink.gif

I did the same thing last May...here's part of what they cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Michelle/hair.jpg

I had 11 inches cut, too. It felt good to get that off my neck!

Good for you, sister. wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Apr 4 2007, 10:24 PM)
I did the same thing last May...here's part of what they cut.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Michelle/hair.jpg

I had 11 inches cut, too. It felt good to get that off my neck!

Good for you, sister. wub.gif

no.gif

I totally get that Locks of Love is a great charity and all... and if i ever DO cut mine, I'll do that as well.

BUT WHY would you lovely NWW CUT your hair? EVER??? FOR ANY REASON???

CeeJ... I NEVER tell you what to do... but PLEASE... Do NOT GET ANY IDEAS!!! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

MEN!!!

At least for me, long hair is tough to fix and take care of. Mine is about chin length now, and the natural curl behaves a lot better.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Apr 4 2007, 10:08 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Apr 4 2007, 09:27 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 4 2007, 05:50 PM)
11 inches gone, and your husband was not mutilated in the process.  wink.gif  cool.gif

She said INCHES, not millimeters bud. z7shysterical.gif

It also lends more meaning to that avatar bud. wink.gif

laugh.gif aw I just changed the avatar. I got tired of watching a burning crotch. I realized it was only making me stare where I really don't want to be looking. rofl3.gif

Anyway - owlswing's hair looks incredible, AND she did a good thing.

653.gif 653.gif

i'm growing out my hair for the same thing. the last time i had it cut for locks of love i went from having hip length hair to having mid-neck length. the hairdresser got a little carried away with her scissors... it's nice to know that we're helping those cute little bald kids smile.gif one of my friends at work donated her hair and they sent her a picture of the boy who received the wig made from her hair 653.gif

That is so great you guys! My daughter did it a few months ago and I was so proud!. My hair takes FOREVER to grow and it's finally gotten to the point where I feel good about it again, so I won't be cutting it, but my daughter likes hers shorter so I'm sure she will do it again.

cheer.gif cheer.gif for all of those who have cut off their tresses for a good cause biggrin.gif it can be a little traumatic seeing your hair laying on the counter across from you when it was just attached to your head!! trink39.gif

This is a very good and commendable cause. I wish I could do the same, but my hair is not long enough right now. I'm actually letting it grow because it's easier to handle when it's longer. I have very coarse and frizzy hair (a nightmare when it's humid! wacko.gif ) and it's making me crazy. Summers are the worse, what with all the humidity we get here. Kudos to all of you who had this great idea! I think it's one of the nicest thing you could do! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

There's a lady I work with who just did this exact same thing this past weekend. She does it all the time - she is a natural blonde, too and has this really pretty curly hair.

I wish I could do this, but my hair takes way too long to grow out, but I commend all the great ladies (and gents) who donate their hair for such a worthy cause. biggrin.gif

locks of love is truly a great thing!

i personally cannot do this...

my hair is not capable of growing that long

and it's processed.... and i AM NOT going to stop processing it... EVER!!!

ha ha ha

but, two of my three girls have done this, jessica specifically a few times.

i commend the hair salons that participate in this as well...

i am an active participator in the ACS Relay For Life. and one year a hair salon team was doing locks of love at their campsite...

it was amazing to see the amount of people turn out to do this at their camp site.

the really nice thing they did too was then send the donator to their salon for a free style after the cut...

cheers to all of you who do donate to this wonderful cause!!

smile.gif 2 of my girls now want to do this...my other would but she is also one of those that her hair just doesn't grow.

I have to admit I was ready to just keep my hair long...then that you started this mission finish it kick in the as* happened...

Last week I had my daughter at the Childrens Hospital in Philadelphia and this little girl about 2 years old got on to the elevator a floor after ours. Her hair was missing in some places and long in others. You saw the scar on her head and I had to do all I could to hold back my tears. The little girl had the brightest smile on her face holding her Teddy Bear just staring at her mom. wub.gif

I never asked the parents why, it's just not really done there you just know she was there for a reason. That put me in the frame of mind to get it done.

I am shocked to see how many people have done this. Since getting it done I'm doing my usually errands and it must be something about the cut but people know you did locks for love.

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

For all that have done it and are thinking of doing it!

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Apr 6 2007, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Apr 4 2007, 02:50 PM)

laugh.gif first time i saw this thread, i thought somebody broke up with her boyfriend. O_o

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

laugh.gif Rolinda rofl3.gif cosmo.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Apr 4 2007, 05:42 PM)
Well today was the day.

For the past 2 1/2 years I have been letting my hair grow out to donate it to locks for love. I first had to grow out all color get the last of the color cut out then maintain with trims to keep split ends away...so it has been a long process...but last week we measured and I was there...I had enough to donate and enough to keep some hair on my head. You need more than 10 inches.

I wish I could say I would post a before and after picture but Pags had the camera at work today. I had to go before I changed my mind. unsure.gif  I would have done it sooner or later but I was in the right frame of mind today.

It was odd all that time for preparing and I forgot the biggest thing I would for the first time since high school have shoulder length hair again. It's a very strange feeling to go from such long hair to short hair. It's hair it will grow back in time and the kids need it more than I do.

The best news and this is a bit funny - shows how thick my hair is...they had to do it in 2 separate pieces so I really was able to donate enough for 2 people. Now that felt good. smile.gif

Oh yeah my hair weighed 4 lbs not bad on the scale either.  rofl3.gif

That's awesome, owl! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Did you only get the 11 inches cut to donate to locks for love? Or did you eventually want to cut your long hair short?

I've had long hair for a long time (not as long as yours was). I want to cut it shorter, for a change...but I'm afraid to! tongue.gif

I see you live in NJ....I live in NJ too. Where abouts in Jersey do you live?

QUOTE (Lauriej @ Apr 16 2007, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Apr 4 2007, 05:42 PM)
Well today was the day.

I wish I could say I would post a before and after picture but Pags had the camera at work today. I had to go before I changed my mind. unsure.gif  I would have done it sooner or later but I was in the right frame of mind today.

Oh yeah my hair weighed 4 lbs not bad on the scale either.  rofl3.gif

That's awesome, owl! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Did you only get the 11 inches cut to donate to locks for love? Or did you eventually want to cut your long hair short?

I've had long hair for a long time (not as long as yours was). I want to cut it shorter, for a change...but I'm afraid to! tongue.gif

I see you live in NJ....I live in NJ too. Where abouts in Jersey do you live?

I only cut it to donate it. I usually like it long. My mom was bugging me to go for a change too.

I just saw this thread... I did mine a few weeks ago and sent it to "Angel Hair For Kids" program in Toronto. They sent me a neat Certificate of Appreciation, really cool. I got laid off and the job search is bad enough without showing up for interviews looking like a refugee from 1976, so the hair had to go. At least by donating it, something good came out of it. I had not had a haircut in almost 5 years (that picture below is a year old), it was about 15 inches. Now I look like an accountant. An unemployed accountant. smile.gif

http://www.therebelwheel.com/images/paul.jpg

Archived