The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 10 2008, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 9 2008, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 9 2008, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 6 2008, 07:27 PM)
I had a doctor's appointment today about my knee. Everything looks good he say's. No deep knee bends though for another three months. I did run about four miles afterwards. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the good doctor report! Sounds like your knee healed perfectly well. smile.gif

Did he say it's ok to be running so often and for the distance you're going?

Yes, running is just fine. The only thing I cannot do for a few more months is, any type of deep knee bends. It could tear the repaired cartlidge. That would require surgery again and I do not need that. tongue.gif I plan on doing another five mile run later on today.

If you're getting used to running 5 miles then doing a 5k will be a snap!

I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do? tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif Oh yeah, the 5k is nothing. biggrin.gif I was planning on the half marathon before my knee gave out, I had never ran one. But it will not happen until at least next summer. BTW.. your just a running fool!! 1022.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

You could still attempt the half marathon, you just wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. Are you ok with that? Either way, it's a great goal to have I think, as a runner.

I am a running fool. I truly enjoy running though. I love getting out in the fresh air (even the rain, I don't mind!). The time goes by fast. I'm trying to get my time down to 8-9 minutes/mile. I think right now, I'm running around 50-55 miles/week.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 11 2008, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 10 2008, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 05:00 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 9 2008, 10:12 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 9 2008, 06:02 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 6 2008, 07:27 PM)
I had a doctor's appointment today about my knee. Everything looks good he say's. No deep knee bends though for another three months. I did run about four miles afterwards. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the good doctor report! Sounds like your knee healed perfectly well. smile.gif

Did he say it's ok to be running so often and for the distance you're going?

Yes, running is just fine. The only thing I cannot do for a few more months is, any type of deep knee bends. It could tear the repaired cartlidge. That would require surgery again and I do not need that. tongue.gif I plan on doing another five mile run later on today.

If you're getting used to running 5 miles then doing a 5k will be a snap!

I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do? tongue.gif

bekloppt.gif Oh yeah, the 5k is nothing. biggrin.gif I was planning on the half marathon before my knee gave out, I had never ran one. But it will not happen until at least next summer. BTW.. your just a running fool!! 1022.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

You could still attempt the half marathon, you just wouldn't be able to run the whole thing. Are you ok with that? Either way, it's a great goal to have I think, as a runner.

I am a running fool. I truly enjoy running though. I love getting out in the fresh air (even the rain, I don't mind!). The time goes by fast. I'm trying to get my time down to 8-9 minutes/mile. I think right now, I'm running around 50-55 miles/week.

Well, I would not want to stop at any point. So no, I am not going to attempt it at this point. tongue.gif Maybe later on this fall or next spring.

Edited to say.. I have already signed up and paid for the 5k biggrin.gif

Edited by troutman

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 11 2008, 09:36 AM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 10 2008, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 09:00 AM)
I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do?  tongue.gif

Take a car! tongue.gif

Im actually about to go run for a while on the treadmill. I have no clue how far I'll go but its all good!

Ok, funny man. tongue.gif

How is the running going? Last time the report was you ran 6 blocks. What did you do on this last run?

Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill before I decided I'd rather go and hit a bucket of balls. I walked about 5 miles today golfing.

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 11 2008, 12:24 PM)
Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill before I decided I'd rather go and hit a bucket of balls. I walked about 5 miles today golfing.

Good job you! That's a decent distance, both days. smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 11 2008, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Aug 10 2008, 05:22 PM)
And my first day of cross country is tomorrow!  cheer.gif  common001.gif  applaudit.gif  bncegrn.gif

Hey good luck with that!!! Let us know how it goes! smile.gif

It went great!!! yes.gif bncegrn.gif 653.gif We ended up running about 6 or 7 miles... which I thought was a lot, but I felt fine! cheer.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Aug 11 2008, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 11 2008, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Aug 10 2008, 05:22 PM)
And my first day of cross country is tomorrow!  cheer.gif  common001.gif  applaudit.gif  bncegrn.gif

Hey good luck with that!!! Let us know how it goes! smile.gif

It went great!!! yes.gif bncegrn.gif 653.gif We ended up running about 6 or 7 miles... which I thought was a lot, but I felt fine! cheer.gif

That is awesome! So glad to hear it went well! smile.gif

I recently picked up my running program again. Something I've tried over the last couple of years to do, but failed miserably, because of the bad shape my knees have been in (due in recent years to the weight that I had put on, but a variety of issues even before that). However, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and figured it was time to give it another go, and I'm so glad I have. Another good run this morning (6 miles) and my knees are feeling better than they have in years (we'll see how long that lasts). Nothing too fast mind you, did about 9 minute miles this morning, but hopefully that will improve as I run a bit more. Hopefully I can keep it up.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Aug 11 2008, 06:23 PM)
I recently picked up my running program again.  Something I've tried over the last couple of years to do, but failed miserably, because of the bad shape my knees have been in (due in recent years to the weight that I had put on, but a variety of issues even before that).  However, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and figured it was time to give it another go, and I'm so glad I have.  Another good run this morning (6 miles) and my knees are feeling better than they have in years (we'll see how long that lasts).  Nothing too fast mind you, did about 9 minute miles this morning, but hopefully that will improve as I run a bit more.  Hopefully I can keep it up.

Way to go, great job! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Just don't force yourself to run alway's unless you feel up to it. Take all the time you need to get into a routine that your comfortable with. Any distance is better than nothing at all, that's how I look at it. Keep us informed on your progress.

Good Luck biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 11 2008, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 11 2008, 12:24 PM)
Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the treadmill before I decided I'd rather go and hit a bucket of balls.  I walked about 5 miles today golfing.

Good job you! That's a decent distance, both days. smile.gif

Yea. Im gonna walk about 10 miles tomorrow. (2 rounds of golf) Should be challenging!

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 11 2008, 01:50 PM)
It's nice outside where i live.
Perfect day to try my ankles running for the first time in.... 3 4 5 months. wink.gif

Well, i did go running for a bit, like i said.

Turns out my right ankle is 100% again. common001.gif

But my left... is not, as it was hurting doh.gif

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Aug 11 2008, 07:23 PM)
I recently picked up my running program again. Something I've tried over the last couple of years to do, but failed miserably, because of the bad shape my knees have been in (due in recent years to the weight that I had put on, but a variety of issues even before that). However, I've lost a lot of weight recently, and figured it was time to give it another go, and I'm so glad I have. Another good run this morning (6 miles) and my knees are feeling better than they have in years (we'll see how long that lasts). Nothing too fast mind you, did about 9 minute miles this morning, but hopefully that will improve as I run a bit more. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Ok, hold the phone. You haven't run in a long time and you're running 6 miles at 9 minutes a pop.

WOW!

That is insane. You must have been a really good runner before to have picked it back up so quickly. That's a long distance to be running after such a long hiatus. It seems to me anyway. I think it's great though! You are definitely kickin' some serious a**!

Just fantastic! I'm impressed!!

How long have you been doing this and how often do you run? Hopefully your knees won't feel sore at all.

Keep up the good work. smile.gif

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 11 2008, 10:47 PM)
Perfect day to try my ankles running for the first time in.... 3 4 5 months. wink.gif

Oh! Be careful Limey. You don't want to injure yourself further.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 12 2008, 09:50 AM)
Bleah.  I've come down with a cold, it seems.  Should I rest today?

Yes, and drink plenty of fluids. If you go running it will only drag your system down more than it already is. wink.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 12 2008, 05:05 AM)
QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Aug 11 2008, 10:47 PM)

Oh! Be careful Limey. You don't want to injure yourself further.

I won't i just pace myself and i start walkin once it hurts. smile.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 12 2008, 09:56 AM)

Yes, and drink plenty of fluids. If you go running it will only drag your system down more than it already is. wink.gif

Yeah, you're right. I must be crazy to be thinking about exercising...I hate to break my streak, though. sad.gif Oh well.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 12 2008, 10:20 AM)

Yeah, you're right. I must be crazy to be thinking about exercising...I hate to break my streak, though. sad.gif Oh well.

I know the feeling tongue.gif A few weeks back I felt a cold coming on but ran that day anyway. It was a big mistake, it made it allot worse!!

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 12 2008, 02:24 PM)

I know the feeling tongue.gif A few weeks back I felt a cold coming on but ran that day anyway. It was a big mistake, it made it allot worse!!

Oh god. NEVER run when youre not feeling well. I learned the hard way! 062802puke_prv.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 12 2008, 12:12 PM)

Oh god. NEVER run when youre not feeling well. I learned the hard way! 062802puke_prv.gif laugh.gif

I'm going to be the odd one out but that's only because I'm an extremist. I say run with a cold, not with a fever. Even though I do, I just run as much as I can (which is about half the distance I normally run). I've found that I get over colds faster when I get outdoors and get some fresh air. I just don't push myself too hard and like I said, if you have a fever, definitely cut back or don't run at all if it's too high. Do what you think is best. If you wake up and feel like you can't run, then don't.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 12 2008, 12:29 PM)

I'm going to be the odd one out but that's only because I'm an extremist. I say run with a cold, not with a fever. Even though I do, I just run as much as I can (which is about half the distance I normally run). I've found that I get over colds faster when I get outdoors and get some fresh air. I just don't push myself too hard and like I said, if you have a fever, definitely cut back or don't run at all if it's too high. Do what you think is best. If you wake up and feel like you can't run, then don't.

coming from the runner extremist laugh.gif rofl3.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 12 2008, 02:01 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 12 2008, 12:29 PM)

coming from the runner extremist laugh.gif rofl3.gif tongue.gif

I'm probably the last person you want as a coach. "What? You broke your leg in only two places? You best be lacing up those shoes then!"

Edited by Janie