The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

Im not a runner but when I play golf and carry my bag I walk about 4 miles. And lots of days I'll play 2 or more rounds. So I will walk around 8 miles on days with 40 pounds on my back. Its fun!

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Jul 14 2008, 09:57 AM)
Ugh, I forgot my headphones this morning and none of the gym staff was around to loan me a pair. The run itself wasn't that bad, though. My energy level was good, maybe because I ate a lot of carbs yesterday.

I'm back to running with music. For a while there I wasn't using music at all but I'm back to needing that extra push that music gives me. I took a day off the other day because of a really bad sunburn. I was going to take two days off in a row but that was killing me. It was pure torture. I'm glad I went out running away. It didn't hurt too bad. But the music definitely helps me forget about running with sore muscles and a painful sunburn! Thanks again Rush! And QOTSA. And Foo Fighters.

Edgy, what music do you listen too while running?

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Jul 14 2008, 11:10 AM)
Im not a runner but when I play golf and carry my bag I walk about 4 miles. And lots of days I'll play 2 or more rounds. So I will walk around 8 miles on days with 40 pounds on my back. Its fun!

Hiya GAAC! I'm heading out this evening with two friends to hit a bucket of balls.

Carrying around your golf bag definitely sounds like a good workout. You have to get your own caddie though. And drive around in one of those carts. Live the high life! wink.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 14 2008, 12:43 PM)

Edgy, what music do you listen too while running?

Oh, lots of things. The only requirement is that it's gotta be uptempo or very very heavy. It usually depends on what I'm into at the time (lately it's been lots of Genesis and Steve Hackett), but probably the artist I listen to most often on the treadmill is Kylie Minogue. If it's music made to shake your ass to, it's probably also good for running!

Rush is also very good for time on the treadmill, especially Power Windows. smile.gif

Uggh....I managed to run 4 miles yesterday and I'm SORE. My first 5k in a very very very long time is coming up Saturday and I'm actually kind of nervous. eh.gif

Here's a question for y'all, what do you eat before a race? I thought about maybe eating something the night before and not eating anything in the morning, but I dunno. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 15 2008, 05:52 PM)
Uggh....I managed to run 4 miles yesterday and I'm SORE. My first 5k in a very very very long time is coming up Saturday and I'm actually kind of nervous. eh.gif

Here's a question for y'all, what do you eat before a race? I thought about maybe eating something the night before and not eating anything in the morning, but I dunno. unsure.gif

You'll do great! Don't worry about your race. Are you planning on running every day up to the race? What is your schedule?

Before a race... Usually my races start at 9am and I eat a small breakfast (muffin or bowl of cereal) around 6am. I actually don't feel that great while running a race it seems like. So, for my next race (this Sunday) I'm going to eat a carb-loaded dinner (probably spaghetti) the night before and then nothing the morning of. We'll see how that goes. I hate starting out running on an empty stomach but it seems like I can run better and longer in the end.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 16 2008, 05:19 AM)
Uggh....I managed to run 4 miles yesterday and I'm SORE.  My first 5k in a very very very long time is coming up Saturday and I'm actually kind of nervous. eh.gif 

Here's a question for y'all, what do you eat before a race?  I thought about maybe eating something the night before and not eating anything in the morning, but I dunno.  unsure.gif

You'll do great! Don't worry about your race. Are you planning on running every day up to the race? What is your schedule?

Before a race... Usually my races start at 9am and I eat a small breakfast (muffin or bowl of cereal) around 6am. I actually don't feel that great while running a race it seems like. So, for my next race (this Sunday) I'm going to eat a carb-loaded dinner (probably spaghetti) the night before and then nothing the morning of. We'll see how that goes. I hate starting out running on an empty stomach but it seems like I can run better and longer in the end.

I am the same way. I eat very little before a run/race. It only bogs me down and upsets my stomach. Anyway, good luck to both of you this weekend. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 16 2008, 01:32 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 16 2008, 05:19 AM)
Uggh....I managed to run 4 miles yesterday and I'm SORE.  My first 5k in a very very very long time is coming up Saturday and I'm actually kind of nervous. eh.gif 

Here's a question for y'all, what do you eat before a race?  I thought about maybe eating something the night before and not eating anything in the morning, but I dunno.  unsure.gif

I am the same way. I eat very little before a run/race. It only bogs me down and upsets my stomach. Anyway, good luck to both of you this weekend. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks to both of you. smile.gif I forgot about this but my cross-country coach told us many times that anything dairy isn't good before you run....so yeah, I'll probably have something small like a pop-tart or piece of toast about 2-3 hours before. I think getting up early to eat will also make sure I'm nice and awake by race time. I can't stand just hopping out of bed and running.

To answer Janie's question, I usually run about 3 or 4 times a week, usually about 3 miles (hopefully it'll be 4 soon). I tried to go for a nice easy 3 mile run today but I don't think I gave my dinner enough time to settle, so I ended up cutting it short. I'll probably try the same thing tomorrow, just a very easy pace, and rest on Friday.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 16 2008, 07:17 PM)
To answer Janie's question, I usually run about 3 or 4 times a week, usually about 3 miles (hopefully it'll be 4 soon). I tried to go for a nice easy 3 mile run today but I don't think I gave my dinner enough time to settle, so I ended up cutting it short. I'll probably try the same thing tomorrow, just a very easy pace, and rest on Friday.

Do you run in the evening then? I prefer running in the morning. The weather is cooler and I have more energy. I'm usually so wiped by the end of the day that the last thing I'd want to do is go for a run.

Thanks for the tip about no dairy before a run. I'll keep that in mind. I'm curious to see how my plan of eating a carb-loaded dinner the night before my race turns out. Are you doing the same thing? I'm also going to skip on breakfast that morning, I think. If I can stand it.

Give us an update after your race ok! I'm dying to hear how it goes! And good luck to you!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 17 2008, 05:42 AM)
To answer Janie's question, I usually run about 3 or 4 times a week, usually about 3 miles (hopefully it'll be 4 soon).  I tried to go for a nice easy 3 mile run today but I don't think I gave my dinner enough time to settle, so I ended up cutting it short.  I'll probably try the same thing tomorrow, just a very easy pace, and rest on Friday.

Do you run in the evening then? I prefer running in the morning. The weather is cooler and I have more energy. I'm usually so wiped by the end of the day that the last thing I'd want to do is go for a run.

Thanks for the tip about no dairy before a run. I'll keep that in mind. I'm curious to see how my plan of eating a carb-loaded dinner the night before my race turns out. Are you doing the same thing? I'm also going to skip on breakfast that morning, I think. If I can stand it.

Give us an update after your race ok! I'm dying to hear how it goes! And good luck to you!! smile.gif

Don't skip on breakfast tongue.gif At least have a piece of fruit and drink some water/juice. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 17 2008, 01:27 PM)
To answer Janie's question, I usually run about 3 or 4 times a week, usually about 3 miles (hopefully it'll be 4 soon).  I tried to go for a nice easy 3 mile run today but I don't think I gave my dinner enough time to settle, so I ended up cutting it short.  I'll probably try the same thing tomorrow, just a very easy pace, and rest on Friday.

Don't skip on breakfast tongue.gif At least have a piece of fruit and drink some water/juice. biggrin.gif

Will do. I think I'll have to anyway because my race doesn't start until 11am. There's no way I can wait five+ hours to eat.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 17 2008, 03:40 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jul 17 2008, 01:27 PM)

Will do. I think I'll have to anyway because my race doesn't start until 11am. There's no way I can wait five+ hours to eat.

Wow, 11:00!! laugh.gif Mine starts at 8:00. sad.gif banghead.gif

Yeah my mom is fixing some kind of pasta dish tomorrow night and I'll be eating plenty of carbs throughout the day. cool.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 17 2008, 07:21 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 17 2008, 03:40 PM)

Wow, 11:00!! laugh.gif Mine starts at 8:00. sad.gif banghead.gif

My races have been all over the board recently. My no-pie pie run (I'm still sore about no pie tongue.gif ) started at 8:30am, this upcoming one starts at 11am and then next weekend I have a race that starts at 6:30pm.

On purpose? How steep were the inclines? I hate running hills because I can never keep good form. I know you're supposed to stay as horizontal to the plain as possible but I always, always lean forward going uphill and lean back running downhill. Plus, my shins feel a little sore while running downhill and then it seems like I never run right for a while after a hill.

Uggggh......yesterday was awful. I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot. Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe. And it still hurts today. sad.gif banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons. The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better: very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's. 653.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 19 2008, 01:16 PM)
On purpose? How steep were the inclines? I hate running hills because I can never keep good form. I know you're supposed to stay as horizontal to the plain as possible but I always, always lean forward going uphill and lean back running downhill. Plus, my shins feel a little sore while running downhill and then it seems like I never run right for a while after a hill.

I guess Seattle is pretty flat, huh? laugh.gif

I usually lean forward slightly when I run uphill, I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I could be wrong. unsure.gif I like running up hills...I guess because you get a much better workout in less time. Running down big hills sucks though because it kills my knees.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 20 2008, 07:52 AM)
Uggggh......yesterday was awful. I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot. Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe. And it still hurts today. sad.gif banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons. The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better: very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's. 653.gif

Oooh yikes! It sounds like you tried to run through the pain and I'm always amazed and impressed to hear those stories because it is really, really hard to work through pain. So good job you!!!

I know your sides are still hurting but how do your legs feel?

I'm kind of nervous about my race later this morning. It's another trail run but I just looked at the map and it's, "hilly" and "challenging." I feel like I don't have it in me. We'll see.

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jul 20 2008, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 19 2008, 01:16 PM)

I guess Seattle is pretty flat, huh? laugh.gif

I usually lean forward slightly when I run uphill, I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I could be wrong. unsure.gif I like running up hills...I guess because you get a much better workout in less time. Running down big hills sucks though because it kills my knees.

I try my hardest to run slowly down hills. I always find myself saying, "Don't bite it, don't bite it." I've come close to doing that in a few races!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2008, 08:11 AM)
Uggggh......yesterday was awful.  I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif  The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot.  Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe.  And it still hurts today.  sad.gif  banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons.  The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better:  very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's.  653.gif

Oooh yikes! It sounds like you tried to run through the pain and I'm always amazed and impressed to hear those stories because it is really, really hard to work through pain. So good job you!!!

I'm kind of nervous about my race later this morning. It's another trail run but I just looked at the map and it's, "hilly" and "challenging." I feel like I don't have it in me. We'll see.

UPDATE: My race yesterday was GREAT! I felt fantastic. They weren't kidding though about it being a challenge. It was a mile and a half uphill on loose dirt and big, chunky rocks and tree roots BUT then it was a mile and half downhill. Thing was, I could only jog uphill and coming down I tried to run as fast as I could but it was tough on that ground. I booked it coming through the finish but still, that 1 1/2 mile incline killed my time.

The funnest part... it was a naked race. AHHH! Fun as heck though. I'm so doing this race again.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 21 2008, 04:18 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2008, 08:11 AM)
Uggggh......yesterday was awful.  I guess you know you're in for it when you get a side stitch on your WARMUP RUN!!!! confused13.gif banghead.gif  The first 2 miles were great though, I managed to hold them off, but I got a really really bad one on the 3rd mile and slowed down a lot.  Eventually it got the point where my abs and lower back muscles completely froze up because the pain was so bad, so I was able to speed up a little bit at the end, even though I couldn't really breathe.  And it still hurts today.  sad.gif  banghead.gif

Other than that I felt great for my first race in eons.  The course was nice and flat with only a few hills and the weather couldn't have been better:  very cloudy and a bit sticky, but I think it was only in the high 70's.  653.gif

UPDATE: My race yesterday was GREAT! I felt fantastic. They weren't kidding though about it being a challenge. It was a mile and a half uphill on loose dirt and big, chunky rocks and tree roots BUT then it was a mile and half downhill. Thing was, I could only jog uphill and coming down I tried to run as fast as I could but it was tough on that ground. I booked it coming through the finish but still, that 1 1/2 mile incline killed my time.

The funnest part... it was a naked race. AHHH! Fun as heck though. I'm so doing this race again.

Great job!! sounds like it was really challenging. Naked.. as in Naked?? unsure.gif laugh.gif