The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 4 2008, 04:54 PM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 2 2008, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 2 2008, 08:00 AM)
I only enjoy the gym for one reason. iPod. Without an iPod it would be so boring and I would lose interest. I need prog rock to get me rocking! laugh.gif

An iPod at the gym is a necessity. Definitely. Even running outside I usually listen to music.

I think both me an my mom are getting a bit slimmer, woo hoo!

Is this a happy accident for you or are you trying to shed a few pounds?

What are you both primarily doing at the gym?

If you want, I can offer some tips and hints to dropping weight.

Well, I missed Friday and Monday's run because I was on vacation, but I got right back on the treadmill today despite feeling like crap due to no sleep. And I actually had a really good run! Set the incline at 3% for fifteen minutes of the thirty to make it slightly more challenging.

I did get a lot of exercise this weekend, because my friends and I were out walking every day for the entire day. We were at the San Diego Zoo on Friday, and I was so proud of myself because I walked up all those hills and my leg muscles didn't burn at. all. I wasn't even out of breath. I even ran up one...of course, my friends were looking at me like I was crazy. laugh.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 5 2008, 04:47 PM)
Well, I missed Friday and Monday's run because I was on vacation, but I got right back on the treadmill today despite feeling like crap due to no sleep.  And I actually had a really good run!  Set the incline at 3% for fifteen minutes of the thirty to make it slightly more challenging.

I did get a lot of exercise this weekend, because my friends and I were out walking every day for the entire day.  We were at the San Diego Zoo on Friday, and I was so proud of myself because I walked up all those hills and my leg muscles didn't burn at. all.  I wasn't even out of breath.  I even ran up one...of course, my friends were looking at me like I was crazy.  laugh.gif

Hope you enjoyed your vacation smile.gif I have a few friends like that. There like, why are you running when were all walking laugh.gif Well, I just returned home from a 5 mile run. I have my 5k run on the 17th of this month. So I am trying to push myself a little more than usual. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Aug 5 2008, 05:47 PM)
Well, I missed Friday and Monday's run because I was on vacation, but I got right back on the treadmill today despite feeling like crap due to no sleep. And I actually had a really good run! Set the incline at 3% for fifteen minutes of the thirty to make it slightly more challenging.

I did get a lot of exercise this weekend, because my friends and I were out walking every day for the entire day. We were at the San Diego Zoo on Friday, and I was so proud of myself because I walked up all those hills and my leg muscles didn't burn at. all. I wasn't even out of breath. I even ran up one...of course, my friends were looking at me like I was crazy. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif Good job you! That's a good sign that you weren't feeling sore at all after walking all those hills. And good job for getting right back on the treadmill! smile.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 5 2008, 06:16 PM)
Well, I just returned home from a 5 mile run. I have my 5k run on the 17th of this month. So I am trying to push myself a little more than usual. biggrin.gif

Is this one of those boring old clothed races? tongue.gif

Are you planning on running 5 miles every day up to the race? Do you run every day or every other day?

I'm bummed that I don't have a race this month. On the one hand I think I do need a break from the races but on the other hand, I love competing in races and start to miss it after a while.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 6 2008, 05:55 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 5 2008, 06:16 PM)
Well, I just returned home from a 5 mile run. I have my 5k run on the 17th of this month. So I am trying to push myself a little more than usual. biggrin.gif

Is this one of those boring old clothed races? tongue.gif

Are you planning on running 5 miles every day up to the race? Do you run every day or every other day?

I'm bummed that I don't have a race this month. On the one hand I think I do need a break from the races but on the other hand, I love competing in races and start to miss it after a while.

Yes, I am sorry to report that it is one of those races schla03.gif laugh.gif I may not run that far everyday, but I will also get in some hikes that are uphill that will help me leading up to the race. I try to run every day but it is mostly every other day. smile.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 4 2008, 09:07 PM)
I only enjoy the gym for one reason. iPod. Without an iPod it would be so boring and I would lose interest. I need prog rock to get me rocking! laugh.gif

An iPod at the gym is a necessity. Definitely. Even running outside I usually listen to music.

We could both use a few less pounds, but we are still not that bad off at all. What we do at the gym is cardio for 30 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes straight, sometimes 15 and 15. Usually we do the 15 15 when doing weights that day as well, which we do every other day. The machines we use are...

Leg Sled, or Squat, whatever we are in the mood for

Leg Extention

Leg Curl

I'm not sure of the name, but you flex your calf to lift weights.

Chest Press

Shoulder Press

Row

Bicep Curl

Triceps Pusher Outer laugh.gif

I don't know the terms, I just know what they do.

Feel free to give us a few tips.

I'll level with you. I'm not a fan of running, especially long distances. Sprints are my specialty, though! biggrin.gif

I'm more of a biker. We live in a VERY hilly town, and so to get home or go somewhere, it's just impossible to avoid a hill. Good exercise, though. I'm trying to get in shape for hockey season. smile.gif

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 6 2008, 06:14 PM)
I'll level with you. I'm not a fan of running, especially long distances. Sprints are my specialty, though! biggrin.gif

I'm more of a biker. We live in a VERY hilly town, and so to get home or go somewhere, it's just impossible to avoid a hill. Good exercise, though. I'm trying to get in shape for hockey season. smile.gif

Cool, Hockey rules!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 6 2008, 11:55 AM)

We could both use a few less pounds, but we are still not that bad off at all. What we do at the gym is cardio for 30 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes straight, sometimes 15 and 15. Usually we do the 15 15 when doing weights that day as well, which we do every other day. The machines we use are...

Leg Extention

Leg Curl

Chest Press

Shoulder Press

Row

Bicep Curl

If you only have a few pounds to lose then you'll get there fast with regular exercise, especially lots of cardio and exercise to the point where you can't really carry on a conversation - you know you're working hard then. To keep up your energy though, take in more carbs, less protein. That's if you're really active. I've found that a protein-heavy diet just makes me feel sluggish. I would stock up on fruits, vegetables and grains.

Good luck!!

Everything still going well at the gym for you and your mom?

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Aug 6 2008, 07:14 PM)

Certain sports are better for certain people. I can't cycle to save my life! (I'm not a strong swimmer which is why I'll probably never compete in a triathlon.) Good job you though for tackling big hills. Whenever I see a cyclist going up a hill I'm so impressed and amazed.

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 6 2008, 07:27 PM)
I had a doctor's appointment today about my knee. Everything looks good he say's. No deep knee bends though for another three months. I did run about four miles afterwards. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the good doctor report! Sounds like your knee healed perfectly well. smile.gif

Did he say it's ok to be running so often and for the distance you're going?

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 9 2008, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 6 2008, 11:55 AM)

Leg Extention

Leg Curl

Chest Press

Shoulder Press

Row

Bicep Curl

If you only have a few pounds to lose then you'll get there fast with regular exercise, especially lots of cardio and exercise to the point where you can't really carry on a conversation - you know you're working hard then. To keep up your energy though, take in more carbs, less protein. That's if you're really active. I've found that a protein-heavy diet just makes me feel sluggish. I would stock up on fruits, vegetables and grains.

Good luck!!

Were doing good. I did another 500 calorie performance a few days back. This time though it wasn't a crazy blast at the end, just a fast steadiness. I also now have the perfect setlist for it, or at least it does the trick.

Rock & Roll Band- Boston

Fear of a Black Planet- Porcupine Tree

Freewill- Rush (S&A Live)

Red Barchetta- Rush

YYZ- Rush (Rush in Rio)

Cygnus X-1- Rush (Rush in Rio)

I only catch the beginning of Cygnus, I am thinking of editing it so there are no gaps of music.

I can just blast out a sentence if I really have to and then have to get some air, so I am working hard.

Unfortunately, my mother started cracking up yesterday. I supposably grunt sometimes! confused13.gif I didn't know that! She thinks I get possessed on the machine. She also says she is waiting for me to start singing out loud rather than just mouthing the vocals.

Fun times at the gym.

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 9 2008, 06:02 AM)
I had a doctor's appointment today about my knee. Everything looks good he say's. No deep knee bends though for another three months. I did run about four miles afterwards. biggrin.gif

Congrats on the good doctor report! Sounds like your knee healed perfectly well. smile.gif

Yes, running is just fine. The only thing I cannot do for a few more months is, any type of deep knee bends. It could tear the repaired cartlidge. That would require surgery again and I do not need that. tongue.gif I plan on doing another five mile run later on today.

QUOTE (rushringleader @ Aug 9 2008, 09:40 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 9 2008, 09:57 AM)

Good luck!!

Were doing good. I did another 500 calorie performance a few days back. This time though it wasn't a crazy blast at the end, just a fast steadiness. I also now have the perfect setlist for it, or at least it does the trick.

Rock & Roll Band- Boston

Fear of a Black Planet- Porcupine Tree

Freewill- Rush (S&A Live)

Red Barchetta- Rush

YYZ- Rush (Rush in Rio)

Cygnus X-1- Rush (Rush in Rio)

I only catch the beginning of Cygnus, I am thinking of editing it so there are no gaps of music.

I can just blast out a sentence if I really have to and then have to get some air, so I am working hard.

Unfortunately, my mother started cracking up yesterday. I supposably grunt sometimes! confused13.gif I didn't know that! She thinks I get possessed on the machine. She also says she is waiting for me to start singing out loud rather than just mouthing the vocals.

Fun times at the gym.

Awesome soundtrack! I have a few of those songs on my iPod that I listen to when running.

It sounds like you're definitely lost in the moment at the gym! laugh.gif That's great though - proves you really are working hard and getting into it.

Glad to hear you're having a good time exercising. smile.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Aug 9 2008, 10:12 AM)

Yes, running is just fine. The only thing I cannot do for a few more months is, any type of deep knee bends. It could tear the repaired cartlidge. That would require surgery again and I do not need that. tongue.gif I plan on doing another five mile run later on today.

If you're getting used to running 5 miles then doing a 5k will be a snap!

I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do? tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 09:00 AM)

I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do? tongue.gif

Take a car! tongue.gif

Im actually about to go run for a while on the treadmill. I have no clue how far I'll go but its all good!

Well I ran only managed to kick myself out of bed and run 3 times while on vacation, but it was 3 great runs! yes.gif 653.gif bncegrn.gif

I was going to take pictures of some of the hills I ran but I forgot........but yeah, some of the sickest nastiest slopes I've ever encountered. I actually had to stop and walk down a hill because it was so steep.....my knees and ankles and hips felt like they were going to break. eh.gif

And my first day of cross country is tomorrow! cheer.gif common001.gif applaudit.gif bncegrn.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 05:00 AM)

bekloppt.gif Oh yeah, the 5k is nothing. biggrin.gif I was planning on the half marathon before my knee gave out, I had never ran one. But it will not happen until at least next summer. BTW.. your just a running fool!! 1022.gif laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (gleamingalloyaircar81 @ Aug 10 2008, 02:18 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Aug 10 2008, 09:00 AM)
I'm attempting to follow friends advice and alternating my running distances. So today I'm only going to try to run 6 miles and then tomorrow I'll go 8 miles. I'm training for a half marathon that's at the beginning of September. Thing is, I have it in my head to run 8 miles every day so stopping at 6 doesn't fly with me partly because also I still have energy at that point and want to keep running. *sigh* What's an extremist to do?  tongue.gif

Take a car! tongue.gif

Im actually about to go run for a while on the treadmill. I have no clue how far I'll go but its all good!

Ok, funny man. tongue.gif

How is the running going? Last time the report was you ran 6 blocks. What did you do on this last run?