The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Sep 1 2008, 03:56 PM)
bekloppt.gif

I'm about to go for a run on our school's cross country course, which I'm not really looking forward to because that course is brutal....I think my best time on that course is about 3 minutes above my PR. banghead.gif Last week we had to run it twice IN THE RAIN and, well.......not a very fun practice, running 7+ miles in shoes caked in 10 lbs of mud. laugh.gif

but mud is half of the fun of cross country, the other half of course is getting lost in the woods.....

As for my own running, not so good lately. twisted my left knee the wrong way at work a week and a half ago, and it's been a fight just to get through a mile every day. goddamned knee gives me more issues than it's worth half the time, and that's the better of the two......

hopefully a couple of days off from running will help it bounce back a little bit

Glad to hear from everyone!

Although, sorry to hear about the rain and mud DLS. That's certainly no fun. No fun at all! sad.gif And bummer situation about the knee d_m. Hopefully it will start to feel better soon. Have you tried icing it? Or putting heat on it along with taking some ibuprofen?

My running is still going great but I've noticed I'm putting on more muscle it seems like. My hammies (I love saying that) have really rounded out. I've been trying to run at a faster pace than usual. The weather is starting to cool down so it's about time to invest in new fall running gear.

I had a hard time running yesterday. I had to cut my run way short. My quads are really sore. I'm not the best when it comes to stretching so I don't even know what to do here. Do I run, not run, try to do some stretching, cut my run short, ice them, put heat on them... What? I took some ibuprofen but it didn't do anything.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 4 2008, 07:18 AM)
I had a hard time running yesterday. I had to cut my run way short. My quads are really sore. I'm not the best when it comes to stretching so I don't even know what to do here. Do I run, not run, try to do some stretching, cut my run short, ice them, put heat on them... What? I took some ibuprofen but it didn't do anything.

I'd take a day off. Harsh, I know. biggrin.gif A day off might save you from having to take some serious downtime due to injury later down the road, though.

QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 4 2008, 09:29 AM)

I'd take a day off. Harsh, I know. biggrin.gif A day off might save you from having to take some serious downtime due to injury later down the road, though.

Resting... that's a good theory. I know I should but come on, you guys know me by now, right? What do you think the odds are that I actually took today off?

Uh huh.

Ran seven miles this morning. My legs were sore until about the three mile mark and then I felt great! I'm sore now though. I'm trying to drink extra water and moving around as much as possible. Plus, I took some Excedrin because of a headache but we'll see if they do anything for my sore legs.

Well, just don't hurt yourself. It would really suck if you were laid up with an injury for days-- I can't imagine you'd enjoy that much. :/

Happier thoughts-- know what I love about running? When I haven't had enough sleep and feel like shit, I actually feel BETTER after jumping on the treadmill!

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 4 2008, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (edgyspice @ Sep 4 2008, 09:29 AM)

Resting... that's a good theory. I know I should but come on, you guys know me by now, right? What do you think the odds are that I actually took today off?

Uh huh.

Ran seven miles this morning. My legs were sore until about the three mile mark and then I felt great! I'm sore now though. I'm trying to drink extra water and moving around as much as possible. Plus, I took some Excedrin because of a headache but we'll see if they do anything for my sore legs.

Ice is always good for sore legs......our coach always tells us the worst thing you can do after a run is take a hot shower. Even if they're really really sore I still go for a short and easy run and do a lot of stretching, and I think it helps. smile.gif

Ran yesterday and today...yesterday's run featured that killer half-mile hill near my house. I'm pleased to say that now that I've been upping the grade on the treadmill during my daily runs, my legs didn't burn at all when I tackled the hill. Also, my legs are getting totally ripped for the first time since I took up running. cheer.gif

I have a question for all the runners out there:

I'm by now means a "runner", but I like to run the treadmill at the gym, both for exercise and stress-reducing's sake. I start by walking for couple minutes, jog then run at a bout 5.5-6.0 speed, then cool down with another 3-5 minute walk. All this is on a .5 or 1.0 incline. I can't run a lot, but I try to do my best.

My thing is, I can get such a bad headache afterwards. It's not sudden, more when I get home after the gym. I don't feel I over-exert myself and again, I'm only running 20-25 minutes or so at a time because I'm not really in the best shape. I drink plenty of water and make sure I breathe evenly so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Anyone else get this? This is one of the main reasons I can't workout first thing in the morning because I feel like poo the rest of the day. eh.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2008, 08:22 AM)

I'm by now means a "runner", but I like to run the treadmill at the gym, both for exercise and stress-reducing's sake.  I start by walking for couple minutes, jog then run at a bout 5.5-6.0 speed, then cool down with another 3-5 minute walk. All this is on a .5 or 1.0 incline.  I can't run a lot, but I try to do my best.

My thing is, I can get such a bad headache afterwards.  It's not sudden, more when I get home after the gym.  I don't feel I over-exert myself and again, I'm only running 20-25 minutes or so at a time because I'm not really in the best shape.  I drink plenty of water and make sure I breathe evenly so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Anyone else get this?  This is one of the main reasons I can't workout first thing in the morning because I feel like poo the rest of the day.  eh.gif

Personally, I can never workout in the morning. I am not a morning person at all, so working out is the last thing I want to do. tongue.gif Not sure about the headache problem. Do you eat anything prior to working out? If not, that's probably the problem.

trink39.gif

Edited by troutman

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 9 2008, 11:42 AM)

I'm by now means a "runner", but I like to run the treadmill at the gym, both for exercise and stress-reducing's sake.  I start by walking for couple minutes, jog then run at a bout 5.5-6.0 speed, then cool down with another 3-5 minute walk. All this is on a .5 or 1.0 incline.  I can't run a lot, but I try to do my best.

My thing is, I can get such a bad headache afterwards.  It's not sudden, more when I get home after the gym.  I don't feel I over-exert myself and again, I'm only running 20-25 minutes or so at a time because I'm not really in the best shape.  I drink plenty of water and make sure I breathe evenly so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Anyone else get this?  This is one of the main reasons I can't workout first thing in the morning because I feel like poo the rest of the day.  eh.gif

Personally, I can never workout in the morning. I am not a morning person at all, so working out is the last thing I want to do. tongue.gif Not sure about the headache problem. Do you eat anything prior to working out? If not, that's probably the problem.

trink39.gif

I usually eat dinner around 5pm and workout around 7:30pm. Perhaps it's what I'm eating, but that varies every night of course.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2008, 09:35 AM)

trink39.gif

I usually eat dinner around 5pm and workout around 7:30pm. Perhaps it's what I'm eating, but that varies every night of course.

Is it possible to workout/run before dinner? For instance, I run right after work then go home and have dinner around 7 or so.

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 9 2008, 12:40 PM)

trink39.gif

Is it possible to workout/run before dinner? For instance, I run right after work then go home and have dinner around 7 or so.

Well, I could try on lunch I guess, but I did that one time, still the headache. I have more energy at night as opposed to after work. Maybe if I eat less. I can try that Thursday (I have class tonight and tomorrow night)

smile.gif

In my experience, a lot of headaches are caused by upper body tension, especially in the neck and shoulders. Do you find that you tense your upper body while you're working out? That combined with the impact of running (even on a treadmill) might lead to nasty headaches.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2008, 09:56 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 9 2008, 12:40 PM)

trink39.gif

Well, I could try on lunch I guess, but I did that one time, still the headache. I have more energy at night as opposed to after work. Maybe if I eat less. I can try that Thursday (I have class tonight and tomorrow night)

smile.gif

Make sure you eat less and at least a couple hours before running. Also, maybe it's an alergy thing?

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 9 2008, 09:22 AM)

My thing is, I can get such a bad headache afterwards. It's not sudden, more when I get home after the gym. I don't feel I over-exert myself and again, I'm only running 20-25 minutes or so at a time because I'm not really in the best shape. I drink plenty of water and make sure I breathe evenly so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Headaches! Ugh. Welcome to my world. I get them all the time. Mine are tension headaches and usually a combination acetaminophen/ibuprofen (two Motrins and 1 Tylenol) do the trick. Sometimes headaches come on because of dehydration. How much water do you drink right after you exercise? I've found that tension headaches usually occur temple to temple and run across my hairline. Headaches from dehydration usually hurt right on top of my head. Where are you feeling the headache pain?

Edgy and Janie:

I think you guys might be right about the tension headache thing. I do suffer from them often (like all day today, argh!) since that's where I hold the stress in my body. I like to think running releases that! But I think what you both said makes sense.

Janie, to answer your question specifically, my headaches are more temple-temple than right on top or in the back of my head. I know I'm hydrated since I drink some water before and after, usually my nalgene combined (32 ozs). I also make sure to take sips while exercising (not gulps of course).

I know the few times I did Pilates, that did wonders for relaxing. I could maybe when I come home from the gym, do about 10 minutes or so just to stretch and really calm down.

ILG, did you get another headache yesterday while exercising? Did you try the Pilates afterward to get rid of it?

It definitely does sound like a tension headache. Are you not one for taking medication unless you really, really, really need it?

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 10 2008, 08:37 AM)
ILG, did you get another headache yesterday while exercising? Did you try the Pilates afterward to get rid of it?

It definitely does sound like a tension headache. Are you not one for taking medication unless you really, really, really need it?

Didn't get to exercise yesterday (or today for that matter) since I have work and class back-to-back. I will try tomorrow however -- and report back yes.gif

I'll take ibuprofen for headaches, but for tension, it doesn't do a whole lot. Excedrin Tension used to be just ok. The only thing that relieves it is calming the heck down tongue.gif

So today was our second cross country meet and the weather was pretty much perfect: high 60's and cloudy, and the course was not muddy at all (which is strange because it rained all last night fing.gif ). My hamstrings and calves were still sore from intervals on Monday but I felt awesome, and my time was over 2 minutes faster than last week on the same course. Keep in mind our course was made by Satan, so on a flat course it would've been about 2 minutes faster. But anyways:

23:13 cool.gif

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now bncegrn.gif

I'm so happy for you DLS!! That is great! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I had a great run too, this morning. I love it when I start off feeling great, feel great at the half-way mark and feel great running those last few blocks. It was one of those mornings where I could have gone 10 miles.

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 10 2008, 02:13 PM)
I'm so happy for you DLS!! That is great!  smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

I had a great run too, this morning. I love it when I start off feeling great, feel great at the half-way mark and feel great running those last few blocks. It was one of those mornings where I could have gone 10 miles.

Good to hear you both had a great day of running!! I had a dentist appt. so no running today. tongue.gif Tomorrow for sure. biggrin.gif

Edited by troutman

QUOTE (troutman @ Sep 10 2008, 06:40 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 10 2008, 02:13 PM)
I'm so happy for you DLS!! That is great!  smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

Good to hear you both had a great day of running!! I had a dentist appt. so no running today. tongue.gif Tomorrow for sure. biggrin.gif

Turns out I was too quick to talk. Yesterday afternoon, out of the blue, my right knee started to hurt, badly. As in, I couldn't walk. I had to pop four ibuprofen and stay off it for a while. It still hurt when I woke up this morning and I took another four Motrin tablets. I'm worried I'll go running this morning and really do damage.

Oh well!

Maybe I can hit the doctors office and they can pump my knee full of cortisone or something and send me off with some pain meds.