Programs you can live without...

barney_rebel

Are you talking about the defragmenter that comes with the computer??? ohmy.gif What should I use then? What do you recommend? The programs I can do with out, are the fargin spyware programs... Fargin rice pieces... And those Gawd forsaken viruses and worms... *rolling eyes*

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 30 2004, 06:28 PM)
Roxio Easy Coaster Creator

You too huh?

Perfect timing for me on this subject. I have Roxio EMC 7 and it worked just fine until their recent update and or SP II. Right now Real Players Rip-Burn program works better! Until recently, I had no complaints with Roxio as it worked perfect for me. Now it is a "coaster creator!" I don't feel like investing in another copier program right now and I owe trade boot copies and I can't do them now! Until I find something else, is there anything to "fix" Roxio or am I better off to find a better program and if so, which program? comp26.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 1 2004, 12:51 PM)

You too huh?

Perfect timing for me on this subject. I have Roxio EMC 7 and it worked just fine until their recent update and or SP II. Right now Real Players Rip-Burn program works better! Until recently, I had no complaints with Roxio as it worked perfect for me. Now it is a "coaster creator!" I don't feel like investing in another copier program right now and I owe trade boot copies and I can't do them now! Until I find something else, is there anything to "fix" Roxio or am I better off to find a better program and if so, which program? comp26.gif confused13.gif

What O/S are you using? XP?

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Dec 1 2004, 12:40 AM)
Are you talking about the defragmenter that comes with the computer??? ohmy.gif What should I use then? What do you recommend? The programs I can do with out, are the fargin spyware programs... Fargin rice pieces... And those Gawd forsaken viruses and worms... *rolling eyes*

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Amen to that! Fargin virus I had a few years ago ate up my whole system! Stupid Microsoft Outlook, that's a piece of rice program.

I use a programme at work that's (and I don't really know what I'm talking about here) a 16 bit programme running on Windows NT with a 32 bit emulator which crashes if you even look at it.

This means if IE or Outlook is running in the background and you go to print from it, the thing bloody crashes and you have top shut down after loads of warnings about wow.exe and 16 bit subsystems.

The designer says a new 32 bit version is coming, but I wish I had the same staying power, because there's no sign of the damn thing yet. Problem is, it's a specilaist programme designed for our sector, and there's no bloody alternative.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Dec 1 2004, 07:51 PM)

You too huh?

I found a great programme this year called "Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2004 deLuxe".

It's designed to transfer records and cassettes into digital format, but has a great edit and burn interface which allows for mixing and processing. It also gives a choice of what format to import in, so you can choose mp3 to save space or WAV for quality.

Actually, just did a search on their site, and found the new version is now out

Audio Cleaning Lab 2005

This could well mean the 2004 version will be reduced in price. It works for me!!

Roxio Easy CD creator- Boring

Windows Media Player- it no longer sees my dvd player so now my whole computer is messed up. Plus I cant figure out how to get a playlist up there. Musicmath is soooo much simpler to use.

Quiktime- UGH!

VoptXP for defragging. It's brilliant. btw, Windows default defragmenter is based on the Diskeeper commercial release.

For burning CDS Only 2 bits of software needed.

Nero for compiling data CDs and burning audio.

BlindWrite for copying discs.

I can't remember the last time I produced a shiny coaster.

Using Windows XP Pro with Liteon CD burner.

Ones I could do without.

MS Messenger. I hate that MS ram it down my throat everytime I turned Outlook Express on, and then made it impossible to close Messenger. So I renamed the messenger folder in Program Files and that solved it.

Everything with spyware that won't run if you remove the spyware.

I also hate it when there is a brilliant piece of software out there that doea a great job and gets popular, then some company buys the rights and makes it retail and 'improves' it. ZoneAlarm is the best example of that. When it was in the 2.x versions it was excellent, I still use 2.6 as my firewall, but all the 3.0 versions have become bloatware that is unstable and tries to do too much.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 16 2004, 06:34 PM)
Yeah ZA really became a resource hog... and still does the exact same thing as the old releases.

McAfee Antivirus? The new virus definations you have to pay now...

Check this out Barney. I'm looking into this. I'm hearing great things about it.

AVG antivirus from Grisoft

Archived