Ghost Rider

Necromancer

I know we've discussed the movie in other superhero threads, but I couldn't find an OFFICIAL Ghost Rider thread. If there was one, I'm sorry for making another.

Anyhoo... what did you think about it? I thought overall it was very entertaining. And the key thing here... it did much JUSTICE to the comics. So many comic movies only seem to care about the movie fan and not the fact that their franchise is built around a character that COMIC BOOK GEEKS made famous to begin with.

Ghost Rider touched bases with every aspect of the GR mythos there's been. I would have preferred the Dan Ketch storyline, but they combined the origins of Danny being a Spirit of Vengeance, and Johnny selling his soul to a demon. Well done. And face it... the Johnny Blaze backstory is a better sell.

Lots of people had their problems with Nic being cast as JB, but I thought he was excellent as always. Yeah, he's a bit old, but he's in great shape and pulled it off very well. His huge love of comics came through. He played JB the way JB was originally, before he became the cynical bastard he was while Danny Ketch was the Ghost Rider. I liked it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

THE EFFECTS!!! Awesome!!! The bike was unbelievable. The way it left the fire trail everywhere was so cool. I didn't understand why they decided that the bike would make cars explode as it passed though. laugh.gif But even that looked cool when it happened.

Cheese factor: The laugh. I'm not too sure I remember GR having some evil laugh. But that was insignificant. I enjoyed the movie tremendously. yes.gif

Those of you who saw it, discuss. Especially if you were a reader during the Danny Ketch run. I liked how they definitely tipped their hats to that era of GR with the chain, and the penance stare. These were things the Johnny Blaze GR never did.

i liked it alot, it was better then i thiught it would be. superhero movies are probably my favorite genre of movie, being an old comic book fan. rushgoober said " i really wanted to see ghostrider the week it came out, but "the queen" was almost out of theaters so i had to see it !" goobs is waiting for peter jackson to make "lord of the crowns" its about a queen from england, who throws a crown into a volcano to rid the world of wicked and very boring prince named charles.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif oh tick, you crack me up !

I just saw it last night.

It was really good, and action packed. Had some humour in it too. I hadnt originally read the comics, so sometimes I didnt know what was going on, or some of the characters, but I still got most of it. The effects ruled, and made the movie very good. All in all a very good movie. Better than most of the Marvel movies!

QUOTE (tick @ Mar 4 2007, 07:00 AM)
i liked it alot, it was better then i thiught it would be. superhero movies are probably my favorite genre of movie, being an old comic book fan. rushgoober said " i really wanted to see ghostrider the week it came out, but "the queen" was almost out of theaters so i had to see it !" goobs is waiting for peter jackson to make "lord of the crowns" its about a queen from england, who throws a crown into a volcano to rid the world of wicked and very boring prince named charles.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif oh tick, you crack me up !

um, yeah unsure.gif

i'm sure i'll see this once it makes it to t.v. or something. ph34r.gif

I thought it was a pretty good movie, though most of the time I was just staring at Eva Mendez wub.gif

The cheese factor for me was Nicolas Cage's odd way of pointing, slowly rising his hand and curving his finger...looked very cheesy

Sam Elliot was PERFECT as CareTaker. yes.gif

Of course... CareTaker was NEVER a Spirit of Vengeance. no.gif

Quick history lesson for you if you care:

JohnnyBlaze made a deal with Mephisto and was possessed by ZARATHOS, a demon even too powerful for Mephisto to control. The only way to subjegate him was to entrap him within a human. BUT... he eventually takes over the host and the host becomes just a shell for Zarathos. This is what happened to the JB the first time around. They had to get Zarathos out of JB, because he was becoming evil. That was the end of the first GR. Enter...

Dan Ketch: Danny was inhabited by an original SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE. There were three of them. The spirit's name was Noble Kale. When GR took over, Danny no longer existed. They were seperate entities. The Spirits of Vengeance existed to fight ZARATHOS and his army. They assisted a race of beings called THE BLOOD. CareTaker is a surviving member of The Blood. The current Spirit's of Vengeance were Ghost Rider, Vengeance (a bigger version of Ghost Rider), and Johnny Blaze. Johnny turned out to still be hosting a Spirit of Vengeance in him. He was also the BROTHER of Danny Ketch. Johnny no longer transformed into a Ghost Rider, but he channeled the hellfire through his sawwed off shotgun. Which they nicely alluded to in the movie wink.gif

After Ghost Rider and his buddies (THE MIDNITE SONS) finally destroyed Zarathos and his armies, the Spirits of Vengeance went to rest in peace. Leaving the hosts to be normal humans again. The series was then cancelled. How Johnny became the Ghost Rider again is beyond me. I didn't like the art when they resurrected the title and I didn't like how they were ignoring the entire storyline of Danny Ketch, which had run for over a decade.

Mephisto: He's a sub-demon of Hell. He only controls a small portion of the dimension of Hell. Marvel has made him to be pretty much of a joke. He has become a laughing stock of the Marvel bad guys. I've seen stories where he's a lackey for other bad guys such as Thanos. Odd. But in the occult style comics by Marvel, Mephisto has some clout. He is a constant thorn in the sides of Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange and some other Marvel occult heroes. He was a large part of the original Ghost Rider run of the seventies, but during the Danny Ketch run he was not as big of a deal as...

BLACKHEART: as in the movie, BlackHeart is Mephisto's son. He despises his father and wants to rule over Mephisto's sub-level of Hell. He actuall aspires to FULL control of all Hell. The movie did good justice to BlackHeart. Mephisto... they kind of portrayed like he was the devil. Like with the crossroads and all that crap.

Anyway... that's what I know. I'm lost as to the current Ghost Rider storyline. I might have to get some back issues. yes.gif

Ghost Rider is kind of a B-List comic character, so I didn't expect anything out of this except for goofy fun.

However, it did manage to do that moderately well. My friends and I sat in the front row (I doubt if it would've been as good had we been anywhere else) and could not stop laughing.

Also, Eva Mendes'...ahem...assets...were more than worth the admission price. Does she not know how to button a shirt, or what?

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

QUOTE (thedoorsdk @ Mar 4 2007, 01:15 PM)
Ghost Rider is kind of a B-List comic character, so I didn't expect anything out of this except for goofy fun.
However, it did manage to do that moderately well. My friends and I sat in the front row (I doubt if it would've been as good had we been anywhere else) and could not stop laughing.
Also, Eva Mendes'...ahem...assets...were more than worth the admission price. Does she not know how to button a shirt, or what?
Not that I'm complaining, of course.

B LIST???

Well... if you consider him a superhero... then yeah... he's B-List. But if you consider him of the horror genre of books, he's always been at the TOP of the list. He was briefly beaten by Spawn for awhile, but I'm pretty sure he's the top money maker of horror titles again. yes.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Mar 4 2007, 12:23 PM)
Sam Elliot was PERFECT as CareTaker. yes.gif

Of course... CareTaker was NEVER a Spirit of Vengeance. no.gif

Quick history lesson for you if you care:

JohnnyBlaze made a deal with Mephisto and was possessed by ZARATHOS, a demon even too powerful for Mephisto to control. The only way to subjegate him was to entrap him within a human. BUT... he eventually takes over the host and the host becomes just a shell for Zarathos. This is what happened to the JB the first time around. They had to get Zarathos out of JB, because he was becoming evil. That was the end of the first GR. Enter...

Dan Ketch: Danny was inhabited by an original SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE. There were three of them. The spirit's name was Noble Kale. When GR took over, Danny no longer existed. They were seperate entities. The Spirits of Vengeance existed to fight ZARATHOS and his army. They assisted a race of beings called THE BLOOD. CareTaker is a surviving member of The Blood. The current Spirit's of Vengeance were Ghost Rider, Vengeance (a bigger version of Ghost Rider), and Johnny Blaze. Johnny turned out to still be hosting a Spirit of Vengeance in him. He was also the BROTHER of Danny Ketch. Johnny no longer transformed into a Ghost Rider, but he channeled the hellfire through his sawwed off shotgun. Which they nicely alluded to in the movie wink.gif

After Ghost Rider and his buddies (THE MIDNITE SONS) finally destroyed Zarathos and his armies, the Spirits of Vengeance went to rest in peace. Leaving the hosts to be normal humans again. The series was then cancelled. How Johnny became the Ghost Rider again is beyond me. I didn't like the art when they resurrected the title and I didn't like how they were ignoring the entire storyline of Danny Ketch, which had run for over a decade.

Mephisto: He's a sub-demon of Hell. He only controls a small portion of the dimension of Hell. Marvel has made him to be pretty much of a joke. He has become a laughing stock of the Marvel bad guys. I've seen stories where he's a lackey for other bad guys such as Thanos. Odd. But in the occult style comics by Marvel, Mephisto has some clout. He is a constant thorn in the sides of Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange and some other Marvel occult heroes. He was a large part of the original Ghost Rider run of the seventies, but during the Danny Ketch run he was not as big of a deal as...

BLACKHEART: as in the movie, BlackHeart is Mephisto's son. He despises his father and wants to rule over Mephisto's sub-level of Hell. He actuall aspires to FULL control of all Hell. The movie did good justice to BlackHeart. Mephisto... they kind of portrayed like he was the devil. Like with the crossroads and all that crap.

Anyway... that's what I know. I'm lost as to the current Ghost Rider storyline. I might have to get some back issues. yes.gif

Wikipedia gives an even better history of the character through the ages. Here's the TRF OFFICIAL link to it. laugh.gif

OFFICIAL TRF LINK TO WIKI's GHOST RIDER PAGE!!!

Poor Nick Cage, is it me?.....or has most of his recent films been real stinkers. As for Sam Elliot, what was the last thing he did.....Roadhouse?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 11 2007, 01:24 AM)
Poor Nick Cage, is it me?.....or has most of his recent films been real stinkers. As for Sam Elliot, what was the last thing he did.....Roadhouse?

Last thing Elliot was in that I can think of was that piece of crap HULK

QUOTE (Daylin @ Jun 25 2007, 12:35 PM)
bumper.gif

I just watched this on dvd over the weekend.  I didn't think I'd like it, but I really enjoyed this movie laugh.gif

And, I never knew that's where our Johnny Blaze got his name from laugh.gif

laugh.gif Great minds think a like. I just watched this this weekend too! laugh.gif

I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. It was pretty good. smile.gif

Sam Elliot was a surprise in the cast.

QUOTE (Daylin @ Jun 26 2007, 01:35 AM)

What better way than to pay tribute to both my love of Rush and comics than to choose the moniker Johnny Blaze without being so blatant? I'm smart like that biggrin.gif

I saw GR the other day and enjoyed it a great deal. I liked Cage's performance and the effects were terrific.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jun 26 2007, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (Daylin @ Jun 26 2007, 01:35 AM)

What better way than to pay tribute to both my love of Rush and comics than to choose the moniker Johnny Blaze without being so blatant? I'm smart like that biggrin.gif

cool.gif

JB, I thought that your member title was from, Neil's book......now I know everything rofl3.gif laugh.gif

owlswing, great minds must think alike wink.gif

Jack, you had the same idea too biggrin.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif