THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

This just in...

The NFL has decided to punish the Patriot organization by having them forfeit a 2nd round pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Belichick has been suspended for the first game of the 2015 season.

And to punish Patriot fans, they have decided to, in a joint agreement with the IOC, award the 2024 Olympics to Boston.

(The last of these seems a bit unfair, because a) the fanbase consists of a lot of frontrunners who live nowhere near Boston and b ) after Belichick retires and the franchise returns to Rustian depths the fanbase will return to MacPhersian levels.)

That part of your post I highlighted, the most rediculus thing you said. You are you have to live near Boston to be fan, sounds stupid to me. People move all the time I did, I grew up there moved I'm now supposed to a Marlins, Panthers or a Dolphin fan sorry NOT going to happen.

That's not really what I was saying, though. I'm saying that there are a lot of fans that are frontrunners, not that people who have moved from Boston can't be fans. Certainly you're not denying the Pats, BoSox (and Yankees for that matter) don't have a ton of bandwagon fans.

I would never deny that but what fan base in this country doesn't have such bandwagon fans. The Boston sports fan base maybe picked on more than others in part because the city's teams have been champions multiple times over the last 10 years.

Well, then again down here we have Heat fans or sports fans who make up a base coming from all over this country especially from the north. Not including me.

I believe that the NBA is far more prone to bandwagon fans than the other three major American pro sports leagues because people are far more likely to be fans of players.

With the Cubs being the team of the late 2010s, I have a feeling there's going to be plenty of Cub bandwagoners. It's one of the downsides of success.

When you find a bandwagon Jaguar fan, please let me know.

As an aside, and without making this a SOCN worthy thread, what's wrong with bandwagon fans? When you think about it, that just means that when an owner puts out a good product, people buy it. And, conversely, when an owner puts out a crappy product, people don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the knuckleheads who was in the stands on December 24, 1989 in probably 10 degree weather watching the 1-14 Patriots become the 1-15 Patriots. But why shouldn't fans tell an owner that if his or her team stinks, they won't support it?

Not supporting a team is not the same thing as rooting for a team that is successful. This type of thought process may make sense from a purely economic perspective and you may enjoy the games more but I can't imagine that there's any real satisfaction in this. In some sense it's like being a Yankee fan; if you win it's what should happen given your payroll; it's hard to find much joy in that. Plus everyone around you knows you're a total douchebag.

Many people around here were very critical of the Jacobs' family for years, on the theory that they only cared about making money, and didn't care whether the Bruins' were truly good or not. The argument went that because Bruins' fans supported the team through bad times, there was no incentive to spend money to get better.

As a Cub fan, I'm not sure how to relate to such an attitude. ;)

Fixed

Quick question: does anyone in your household own one of those pink Red Sox hats?

I believe my daughter does actually. My wife might too. My wife also might have one that has a pink B on an otherwise ordinary blue hat.

Do they know if Jeter was a Yankee or a Red Sock?

http://boston.cbsloc...on-the-red-sox/

Actually they both would.

Totally true story. Last year we went to Puerto Rico for my wife's birthday. One day at the pool an older guy came up to me while I was playing catch with my son and daughter. He told me he knew I was a good father because my daughter threw "like a boy" which meant I spent time playing with her. That made me smile.

Toucher and Rich are funny.

• Like 1

Deflated footballs?? Let's see something that's inflated to redress the balance:

http://timdir.com/holly_james_tartan_skirt_tie/holly_james_02.jpg

Wonder what the PSI in these things is????

Deflated footballs?? Let's see something that's inflated to redress the balance:

High enough to breathe life back into the rotting corpse of Al Davis! :blaze:

• Like 1

High enough to breathe life back into the rotting corpse of Al Davis! :blaze:

:LOL: :haz:

I wish the Patriots would go back to the old logo instead of the flying Elvis. I know they never won much back then with but it's simply the better looking logo.

new-england-patriots-ancient2-ipad-1024x10241.jpg

Peace

• Like 1

I wish the Patriots would go back to the old logo instead of the flying Elvis. I know they never won much back then with but it's simply the better looking logo.

Peace

It is a cooler logo, and it represents a time when they cheated a lot less.

Peace

Not that much less.

Peace

Not that much less.

Lol, I was a youngster when I saw that game ha ha.

Peace

Not that much less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAwOLaZUh-k

If that was against the rules, otherwise known as cheating, how come neither the referees nor the grand poobah of the rules committee at the time stopped it from happening?

Peace

Not that much less.

If that was against the rules, otherwise known as cheating, how come neither the referees nor the grand poobah of the rules committee at the time stopped it from happening? Are you suggesting that the guy surreptitiously cleared the spot on the field?

Peace

Not that much less.

If that was against the rules, otherwise known as cheating, how come neither the referees nor the grand poobah of the rules committee at the time stopped it from happening? Are you suggesting that the guy surreptitiously cleared the spot on the field?

A little history on that play.....there was no such rule on the books what that Wapole parolee did with the sweeper. He was supposed to sweep all the way across the field but he just swept where the field goal path was to be kicked. It was kicked and it was good with the Patriots winning 3-0. Shula bitched but it went nowhere because there was no rule or illegality for what was done on the field. As a result of that game the Dolphins did not play in New England for the next 10 years at that time of the year. Ha ha.

Call it cheating if you wish but I think it was intuitive thinking to bring that into the game because it wasn't against the rules.

Edited by g under p
  • Like 1

Peace

Not that much less.

A little history on that play.....there was no such rule on the books what that Wapole parolee did with the sweeper. He was supposed to sweep all the way across the field but he just swept where the field goal path was to be kicked. It was kicked and it was good with the Patriots winning 3-0. Shula bitched but it went nowhere because there was no rule or illegality for what was done on the field. As a result of that game the Dolphins did not play in New England for the next 10 years at that time of the year. Ha ha.

Call it cheating if you wish but I think it was intuitive thinking to bring that into the game because it wasn't against the rules.

Isn't that funny that the league agreed not to put Miami in Foxboro in the winter for a period of time after that whiny baby Shula complained? What a coincidence.

• Like 1

Peace

Not that much less.

If it wasn't against the rules to give your opponents food poisoning, would that have been ok? It wasn't against the rules, but it demonstrated a considerable lack of ethical behavior and good sportsmanship.

• Like 1

Peace

Not that much less.

I remember watching football that day,

Forget what game but the network showed this play as it developed. If Memory serves, whom ever was calling the game mentioned some thing along the same lines as you have.

Peace

Not that much less.

If it wasn't against the rules to give your opponents food poisoning, would that have been ok? It wasn't against the rules, but it demonstrated a considerable lack of ethical behavior and good sportsmanship.

I remember thinking it was odd and that they allowed it.

Omgoodness that a whole lot BS....puleaze if this were your team there would be a problem. Btw I would never poison another team you can go to jail for that, that's a crime. You sound as whiney as Shula and he was rewarded with not having to come to Foxborough in a winter coat. The whole event was comical to me with the Shula whining.

Omgoodness that a whole lot BS....puleaze if this were your team there would be a problem. Btw I would never poison another team you can go to jail for that, that's a crime. You sound as whiney as Shula and he was rewarded with not having to come to Foxborough in a winter coat. The whole event was comical to me with the Shula whining.

If it were my team which did this, I would be giddy with happiness that we won. But I'd be forced to admit that it was bad sportsmanship and if I respected my coach (unlike now) I would lose some of that respect.

Regarding food poisoning, let's change it to something more analogous. If your team brought in those huge wind machines from the BWW commercials and blew a field goal off course, and that wasn't against the rules (as it almost definitely wasn't in 1982), how would you feel?

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that would against the rules....try again. i don't like any of this I think is comical this shrinkage business, if it's found a Patriot personnel had something to do with this punish the team accordingly.

So who do you think will win the big game? I'd put money on the SeaChics but naturally root for the Patriots.

I'm pretty sure that would against the rules....try again. i don't like any of this I think is comical this shrinkage business, if it's found a Patriot personnel had something to do with this punish the team accordingly.

So who do you think will win the big game? I'd put money on the SeaChics but naturally root for the Patriots.

It is probably against the rules now, but if you could manipulate the field to help one side win in 1982, I assume you could manipulate the air above the field to do the same.

Regarding your question, I was leaning to a Pats victory before deflate-gate due to Wilson's atrocious performance and injuries on the Seahawks and the Pats domination in the AFC Championship, but now I am convinced that they will win as they rally to prove the world wrong about them.

It is probably against the rules now, but if you could manipulate the field to help one side win in 1982, I assume you could manipulate the air above the field to do the same.

Regarding your question, I was leaning to a Pats victory before deflate-gate due to Wilson's atrocious performance and injuries on the Seahawks and the Pats domination in the AFC Championship, but now I am convinced that they will win as they rally to prove the world wrong about them.

Good point you may have something there....with this DEFLATEGATE business it may give the Patriots extra motivation something like how they went into the 2001 SB as a team against the world thing.

Peace

Not that much less.

Really bad analogy. I assume you mean giving someone food poisoning without them knowing it. That'd be a crime. I can tell you that clearing snow isn't a criminal offense in the Commonwealth. But if the Patriots had said to the Dolphins, "Hey here's some tuna with botulism in it, why don't you eat it an hour before game time?" and the Dolphins said, "OK" who'd be the idiots? The field was cleared right in front of Shula and the refs. No one stopped it. No one appeared to complain before the kick. If that whiny baby Shula thought it was a problem, why didn't he run out on the field and say "Whoa, you can't do that"? At least Harbaugh took a penalty to try and stop something he wanted to cry about.

I said long ago this was comical nonsense. The IRONY the irony in all of this is that in 2006 Brady and Manning petitioned the NFL to change the rule to what it is today. Where both teams bring their own balls then checked by officials before the game. Before 2006 the rule was BOTH teams played with the same balls. Without those two QBs the power in the league at the time we would not be going this shrinkage business today.