THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

daveyt

Oh yeah!!!

After further review,

The Raiders have been declared SB champs!! :dweez: :haz: :7up: :D

http://www.tampabay....e-sb-37/2214490

I think if they would have taken away all the points scored with the Bucs offense on the field, the Raiders still would have lost.

:sarcastic:

Ha Ha!!

The point is,

This is far worse than the Patriots situation. The guy was able to get all of the footballs and have them altered. And he paid people off.

Congrats Raiders!! :madra: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana: :7up:

Gannon threw three pick sixes, so the score with the TB offense off the field was 21-21. Let's see this thing go to overtime!

Johnson's stats on the game 18-34 for 215 with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Wonder how bad they would have been without scuffing the balls.

I could live with overtime. :LOL:

Again the point is,

People cannot rag on the Patriots and at the same time make excuses for those that do the same thing. ;)

No, but the Brad Johnson thing wasn't organizational.

Oh yeah!!!

After further review,

I think if they would have taken away all the points scored with the Bucs offense on the field, the Raiders still would have lost.

Ha Ha!!

The point is,

This is far worse than the Patriots situation. The guy was able to get all of the footballs and have them altered. And he paid people off.

Gannon threw three pick sixes, so the score with the TB offense off the field was 21-21. Let's see this thing go to overtime!

Johnson's stats on the game 18-34 for 215 with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Wonder how bad they would have been without scuffing the balls.

Again the point is,

People cannot rag on the Patriots and at the same time make excuses for those that do the same thing. ;)

He had all the balls changed equally, meaning everyone was playing with the same balls...like when Victoria Secret models come over to my house.

• Like 1

WASHINGTON—After an NFL investigation revealed that 11 of New England’s 12 game balls were under-inflated during last weekend’s AFC Championship Game, Americans across the nation announced Wednesday that they would love—absolutely love—to hear the excuses from Patriots fans this time. “No, no, by all means, go ahead,” said every single person living outside of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, and Connecticut before reportedly smiling and adding, “I’m all ears.” “Wait, let me guess: The deflated footballs were also easier to catch for the Colts defense, so the Patriots didn’t have a real advantage, right? Or is it that the score was so lopsided that it didn’t matter in the end? No, seriously, I’m sure you guys have something really great cooked up for this one.” The American populace went on to say that they also absolutely cannot wait to hear how this new scandal will have no effect on the legacy of Tom Brady.

http://www.theonion....circ=super-bowl

http://www.theonion.com/articles/nfl-investigating-whether-patriots-played-game-wit,37805/

• Like 1

still the best Pats related article in the Onion.

Because good satire always contains a healthy dose of accuracy.

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Following a 33-14 drubbing at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady admitted that his team deserved to be booed, but said that "to suffer jeers from shortsighted brainless front-runners like Patriots fans was both laughable and pathetic." "The Ravens outplayed us here today, but I'm sorry, f**k all of you," Brady said to the Patriots' fan base, noting that the concept of a true Patriots fan was "barely even existent." "There's no doubt we could have executed better, just like there's no doubt those 68,756 slavering fair-weather pieces of shit in the stands have less right than anyone else to point that out. And if they have a problem with that, they should feel absolutely free to go f**k themselves." Brady added that, next to Pats fans, the Boston fans cheering for the Celtics' gang of johnny-come-lately mercenaries were the saddest f***ing thing he'd ever seen.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tom-brady-id-have-booed-us-too-but-patriots-fans-a,7041/

Oh yeah!!!

After further review,

Ha Ha!!

The point is,

Again the point is,

He had all the balls changed equally, meaning everyone was playing with the same balls...like when Victoria Secret models come over to my house.

:LOL:

I think sh** like this goes on with many teams. It just gets singled out for some reason.

• Like 1

FOXBOROUGH, MA—Following a 33-14 drubbing at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady admitted that his team deserved to be booed, but said that "to suffer jeers from shortsighted brainless front-runners like Patriots fans was both laughable and pathetic." "The Ravens outplayed us here today, but I'm sorry, f**k all of you," Brady said to the Patriots' fan base, noting that the concept of a true Patriots fan was "barely even existent." "There's no doubt we could have executed better, just like there's no doubt those 68,756 slavering fair-weather pieces of shit in the stands have less right than anyone else to point that out. And if they have a problem with that, they should feel absolutely free to go f**k themselves." Brady added that, next to Pats fans, the Boston fans cheering for the Celtics' gang of johnny-come-lately mercenaries were the saddest f***ing thing he'd ever seen.

http://www.theonion....ts-fans-a,7041/

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tom-brady-clearly-receiving-preferential-treatment,10207/

http://www.theonion....ts-fans-a,7041/

http://www.theonion....reatment,10207/

Well, for it to be good satire, there should at least be SOME overstatement of some sort.

• Like 1

This just in...

The NFL has decided to punish the Patriot organization by having them forfeit a 2nd round pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Belichick has been suspended for the first game of the 2015 season.

And to punish Patriot fans, they have decided to, in a joint agreement with the IOC, award the 2024 Olympics to Boston.

(The last of these seems a bit unfair, because a) the fanbase consists of a lot of frontrunners who live nowhere near Boston and b ) after Belichick retires and the franchise returns to Rustian depths the fanbase will return to MacPhersian levels.)

This just in...

The NFL has decided to punish the Patriot organization by having them forfeit a 2nd round pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

And to punish Patriot fans, they have decided to, in a joint agreement with the IOC, award the 2024 Olympics to Boston.

(The last of these seems a bit unfair, because a) the fanbase consists of a lot of frontrunners who live nowhere near Boston and b ) after Belichick retires and the franchise returns to Rustian depths the fanbase will return to MacPhersian levels.)

That part of your post I highlighted, the most rediculus thing you said. You are you have to live near Boston to be fan, sounds stupid to me. People move all the time I did, I grew up there moved I'm now supposed to a Marlins, Panthers or a Dolphin fan sorry NOT going to happen.

Yes the worst punishment would be awarding the Olympics to Boston for the people who live and work there me not so much. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with heavy traffic anymore at least till all the snowbirds come to town here in Palm Beach.

A better punishment would be to put the Patriots on Hard Knocks for three years that would drive BB Nuts and have to give interviews after each episode.

This just in...

That part of your post I highlighted, the most rediculus thing you said. You are you have to live near Boston to be fan, sounds stupid to me. People move all the time I did, I grew up there moved I'm now supposed to a Marlins, Panthers or a Dolphin fan sorry NOT going to happen.

That's not really what I was saying, though. I'm saying that there are a lot of fans that are frontrunners, not that people who have moved from Boston can't be fans. Certainly you're not denying the Pats, BoSox (and Yankees for that matter) don't have a ton of bandwagon fans.

This just in...

That's not really what I was saying, though. I'm saying that there are a lot of fans that are frontrunners, not that people who have moved from Boston can't be fans. Certainly you're not denying the Pats, BoSox (and Yankees for that matter) don't have a ton of bandwagon fans.

I would never deny that but what fan base in this country doesn't have such bandwagon fans. The Boston sports fan base maybe picked on more than others in part because the city's teams have been champions multiple times over the last 10 years.

Well, then again down here we have Heat fans or sports fans who make up a base coming from all over this country especially from the north. Not including me.

This just in...

I would never deny that but what fan base in this country doesn't have such bandwagon fans. The Boston sports fan base maybe picked on more than others in part because the city's teams have been champions multiple times over the last 10 years.

Well, then again down here we have Heat fans or sports fans who make up a base coming from all over this country especially from the north. Not including me.

I believe that the NBA is far more prone to bandwagon fans than the other three major American pro sports leagues because people are far more likely to be fans of players.

With the Cubs being the team of the late 2010s, I have a feeling there's going to be plenty of Cub bandwagoners. It's one of the downsides of success.

When you find a bandwagon Jaguar fan, please let me know.

This just in...

I believe that the NBA is far more prone to bandwagon fans than the other three major American pro sports leagues because people are far more likely to be fans of players.

With the Cubs being the team of the late 2010s, I have a feeling there's going to be plenty of Cub bandwagoners. It's one of the downsides of success.

As an aside, and without making this a SOCN worthy thread, what's wrong with bandwagon fans? When you think about it, that just means that when an owner puts out a good product, people buy it. And, conversely, when an owner puts out a crappy product, people don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the knuckleheads who was in the stands on December 24, 1989 in probably 10 degree weather watching the 1-14 Patriots become the 1-15 Patriots. But why shouldn't fans tell an owner that if his or her team stinks, they won't support it? Many people around here were very critical of the Jacobs' family for years, on the theory that they only cared about making money, and didn't care whether the Bruins' were truly good or not. The argument went that because Bruins' fans supported the team through bad times, there was no incentive to spend money to get better.

This just in...

As an aside, and without making this a SOCN worthy thread, what's wrong with bandwagon fans? When you think about it, that just means that when an owner puts out a good product, people buy it. And, conversely, when an owner puts out a crappy product, people don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the knuckleheads who was in the stands on December 24, 1989 in probably 10 degree weather watching the 1-14 Patriots become the 1-15 Patriots. But why shouldn't fans tell an owner that if his or her team stinks, they won't support it?

Not supporting a team is not the same thing as rooting for a team that is successful. This type of thought process may make sense from a purely economic perspective and you may enjoy the games more but I can't imagine that there's any real satisfaction in this. In some sense it's like being a Yankee fan; if you win it's what should happen given your payroll; it's hard to find much joy in that. Plus everyone around you thinks you're a total douchebag.

Many people around here were very critical of the Jacobs' family for years, on the theory that they only cared about making money, and didn't care whether the Bruins' were truly good or not. The argument went that because Bruins' fans supported the team through bad times, there was no incentive to spend money to get better.

As a Cub fan, I'm not sure how to relate to such an attitude. ;)

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

This just in...

There should never be any bandwagon fans in Jacksonville.....why that Jaguar team won't be there much longer,

This just in...

As an aside, and without making this a SOCN worthy thread, what's wrong with bandwagon fans? When you think about it, that just means that when an owner puts out a good product, people buy it. And, conversely, when an owner puts out a crappy product, people don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the knuckleheads who was in the stands on December 24, 1989 in probably 10 degree weather watching the 1-14 Patriots become the 1-15 Patriots. But why shouldn't fans tell an owner that if his or her team stinks, they won't support it? Many people around here were very critical of the Jacobs' family for years, on the theory that they only cared about making money, and didn't care whether the Bruins' were truly good or not. The argument went that because Bruins' fans supported the team through bad times, there was no incentive to spend money to get better.

I don't think in that way.....but a very good point though.

This just in...

As an aside, and without making this a SOCN worthy thread, what's wrong with bandwagon fans? When you think about it, that just means that when an owner puts out a good product, people buy it. And, conversely, when an owner puts out a crappy product, people don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the knuckleheads who was in the stands on December 24, 1989 in probably 10 degree weather watching the 1-14 Patriots become the 1-15 Patriots. But why shouldn't fans tell an owner that if his or her team stinks, they won't support it?

Not supporting a team is not the same thing as rooting for a team that is successful. This type of thought process may make sense from a purely economic perspective and you may enjoy the games more but I can't imagine that there's any real satisfaction in this. In some sense it's like being a Yankee fan; if you win it's what should happen given your payroll; it's hard to find much joy in that. Plus everyone around you knows you're a total douchebag.

Many people around here were very critical of the Jacobs' family for years, on the theory that they only cared about making money, and didn't care whether the Bruins' were truly good or not. The argument went that because Bruins' fans supported the team through bad times, there was no incentive to spend money to get better.

Fixed

This just in...

Not supporting a team is not the same thing as rooting for a team that is successful. This type of thought process may make sense from a purely economic perspective and you may enjoy the games more but I can't imagine that there's any real satisfaction in this. In some sense it's like being a Yankee fan; if you win it's what should happen given your payroll; it's hard to find much joy in that. Plus everyone around you knows you're a total douchebag.

Fixed

Quick question: does anyone in your household own one of those pink Red Sox hats?

This just in...

Fixed

Quick question: does anyone in your household own one of those pink Red Sox hats?

I believe my daughter does actually. My wife might too. My wife also might have one that has a pink B on an otherwise ordinary blue hat.

This just in...

Fixed

I believe my daughter does actually. My wife might too. My wife also might have one that has a pink B on an otherwise ordinary blue hat.

Do they know if Jeter was a Yankee or a Red Sock?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/03/ask-a-pink-hat-derek-jeter-was-on-the-red-sox/

An answer to an argument no one is making...

Seven seasons after Spygate, when the New England Patriots got caught in a bit of rule-bending, the team finds itself embroiled in yet another controversy: Deflate-gate.

According to ESPN’s sources, 11 of the 12 game balls allotted to New England for Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against the Indianapolis Colts were underinflated by a couple pounds per square inch, failing to meet NFL regulations. This is potentially significant because a flatter football is easier to throw and catch, particularly in the rainy conditions of Sunday’s game.

On its face, this would seem to be a story impenetrable to data analysis. We don’t yet know who or what was responsible for the deflation. It’s also impossible to quantify how much of a boost the Patriots’ passing game received from the flat balls, and although officials detected the underinflated balls at halftime, it’s not clear in which segments of the game the Patriots used the offending balls (for what it’s worth, New England’s highest-scoring quarter came immediately after halftime).

But analytics can at least begin to assess how much of the Patriots’ 38-point victory can be attributed to their passing game.

According to Pro-Football-Reference’s expected points metric, which tracks how many net points are added by each play after accounting for down, distance and field position, Tom Brady and the Patriots’ passing offense added 14.1 points to the team’s margin. By contrast, Andrew Luck and the Colts contributed -10.5 expected points through the air, so the difference between the two teams’ passing production was worth about 24.6 points of scoring margin to the Patriots — still about two touchdowns shy of the Colts’ entire scoreboard deficit.

Now, expected points don’t take into account the leverage of the game situation in which they were produced, so here’s what the game looks like if we break down Pro-Football-Reference’s Win Probability Added (WPA) numbers by play type and quarter:

paine-datalab-deflategate-table.png?w=610&h=263

In terms of game-level WPA, the biggest differences between New England and Indianapolis were in the running game and on special teams, not passing. Also, the Colts’ passing attack piled up more WPA than the Pats did in the game’s first half, when the fullest effect of the deflated balls would presumably have been felt.

Again, we don’t know exactly how much of a boost Brady and company received due to the deflated footballs, but it’s tough to make the statistical case that a moderately reduced Patriots passing game would be enough to close the gap between New England and Indianapolis in other areas of the game. Any deflation effect would have to be much larger to cause that kind of difference.

All of this is probably beside the point, though. Statistically, the Patriots’ videotaping during the Spygate era probably didn’t make much difference either, but the scandal lent an air of illegitimacy to the NFL’s last dynasty. Depending on what the league’s investigation uncovers here, New England could find another unfortunate footnote attached to one of the most impressive 14-year runs in football history.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/deflategate-patriots-tom-brady-colts/