Magnum

Snowman

Couldnt find a thread on Magnum!?!

Magnum are one of my favourite bands, they will release a new album in end of March called "Princess Alice and the broken arrow".

According to Magnum the material will remind of the album "On a storytellers night".

I have heard the song "Dragons are real" and I like it muchly!

You can hear a 2min30sec clip from the song on this link: My Webpage

Does anyone here like them?

ohmy.gif God, are they still going?

I saw these at the UMIST (University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology) wayyyyy back in 1981 !

Saw them live many a time in the good old days, Nelly Melly building at sheff poly, Sheff City Hall, Birmingham Odeon, NEC, Reading Festival 1980. Always a good live band, thought their recorded output got increasingly weak after Storytellers Night. Mrs Slikk always had a crush on Bob Catley wacko.gif

They are alive and kicking, I liked the last album a lot. I suspect this will be better. And they will go on a tour:

Princess Alice & The Broken Arrow Tour 2007

4th May Lagerhalle Osnabruck Germany

5th May Columbia Club Berlin Germany

7th May Spectrum Augsburg Germany

8th May Z7 Pratteln Switzerland

10th May Colos-saal Aschaffenburg Germany

11th May Capitol Hannover Germany

12th May Zeche Bochum Germany

13th May Kantine Koln Germany

14th May Biebob Vosselaar Belgium

15th May Le Trabendo Paris France

17th May The Garage Glasgow UK

18th May The Academy Newcastle UK

19th May Rock City Nottingham UK

20th May The Academy Bristol UK

22nd May The Waterfront Norwich UK

23rd May The Academy 2 Manchester UK

24th May Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton UK

25th May Rio's Leeds UK

26th May Mean Fiddler London UK

28th July Rock Of Ages Festival Seebronn/Rottenburg Germany

I remember "On A Storyteller's Night", which was on heavy rotation on my record player back then. The title track was fabulous. Some of their back catalogue ("The Eleventh Hour") was decent, but with "Vigilante" they started to get too polished AOR-like, so I lost interest in them quickly. "Don't Wake The Lion" was a darn fine later opus, though.

Interesting that their orientation goes back to the early 80s sound. I'll maybe give their new album a listen.

I HAVE SEEN MAGNUM MANY TIMES.GLAD TO HEAR THEY HAVE AN ALBUM COMING OUT SOON.I HAVE SEEN THEM AT MANY GIGS BIG AND SMALL AND THEY HAVE BEEN VERY POPULAR IN BRISTOL WHERE I LIVE.BOB CATLEY HAS ALSO DONE SOLO SHOWS WHEN MAGNUM HAD SPLIT HERE. biggrin.gif

I'll be sure to check their new album out. I love the Storyteller's Night album and Vigilante, which are the only ones of their's I have. What other albums by them are worth getting?

Saw them live a couple of years ago, fantastic show. Would love to see them again some time.

I found this thread and dug it back up, I hope noone minds.

I have just started to investigate Magnum for myself a month or two back. I was looking for a new band to get into and Gilby suggested Magnum so I thought I'd give them a try.

I bought Long Days Black Nights and discovered I really like them!

Since then I've also bought Magnum II, Wings Of Heaven and Into The Valley Of The Moonking. Then I rifled through Gilby's box of tapes and found Goodnight LA which I put through our gizmo that transfers tapes to the computer. I'll probably buy that cd at a later date but this will do for now.

So, 4 albums down, 11 more to go. I can't seem to get hold of them fast enough!

So far my favourites are Wild Swan, The Spirit, Sacred Hour, The Tall Ships, Great Adventure, In The Beginning, Before First Light, On A Storytellers Night, Rock Heavy, Rockin Chair and Eyes Like Fire. I'm sure there will be many more!

So I picked up "On A Storytellers Night" yesterday. Soooo many tracks I've already heard and love!

One more to the collection, 10 more to go!

Yes, they are very good songs. Wild Swan is probably one of my top 5 favourites.

I think on the last few albums they sound more and more like their classic albums. That I like. I cant get enough of classic Magnum.

They released 2 new songs and a re-recorded compilation album called Evolution. These 2 songs could have been on "On a storytellers night" or Vigilante.

Hey, If Magnum could re-record songs (not that it was necessary though), Rush should be able to re-record VT. But I think that is not Rush' way of thinking, being progressive and all.

Magnum return to form have been really impressive. smile.gif

Edited by Snowman

AHA!! There you are!

I have PMed you asking for advice on where to start with their back catalogue. I didn't hear from you. Was beginning to think you had gone off them! I thought if thats the case you could send me all your CDs!!

Haha!!! Just joking!

No I'm not! Hand em over!! tongue.gif

I've got loads of questions by the way. Did you really set up their official website? How did you get that job?

Ehhmmm....I have not set up any website. Must be another Snowman??

I still like them and I have no plans to send away my CD's. cool.gif Looks like you are well underway in digging out their catalogue, and I wish you good luck in that.

If you like Magnum you will probably also like Marillion and Arena.

Saw you PM now. Didnt notice that I had a PM, sorry. I will reply now.

QUOTE (Snowman @ Feb 13 2007, 09:20 PM)
You can hear a 2min30sec clip from the song on this link: My Webpage

^^ I saw this on one of your earlier posts and assumed from the name of the link that you had set he page up. My bad! laugh.gif

As a matter of fact my husband has introduced me to Marillion already and we've got some of their music but I've not investigated them properly. I've never heard of Arena, I'll look them up. smile.gif

In response to your PM, I've since discovered that there is a chat site via their webpage, it's a yahoo site. What I like most about it is the fact that a couple of the band members are involved.

Did you know about the new album coming out the year? It's called "On The 13th Day" and they are touring in the autumn.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 24 2012, 09:13 PM)
I really like the Chase the Dragon album, I picked up a new remastered copy of that a few years ago, still sounds great...

trink36.gif

I'm planning on getting that one next, plus a couple of others.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 13 2007, 03:25 PM)
I prefer Trojans. yes.gif

I do hope we're talking about the same thing here. unsure.gif

I checked this thread just to see how many posts it would take to get here, and if the "TRF Innuendo Postulate" would hold true. Goobs got it on the nose! This postulate is, of course, based on...

Edited by goose

I grew out of Magnum pretty quickly after picking Magnum II (complete with mirror sleave) in the bargain bin at Woolworths. Got tired of Catley's vocal delivery more than anything else. I got into Arena in later years, they're like a more Prog version of Magnum. Some good stuff but I grew tired of them too.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Mar 24 2012, 05:42 PM)
I grew out of Magnum pretty quickly after picking Magnum II (complete with mirror sleave) in the bargain bin at Woolworths. Got tired of Catley's vocal delivery more than anything else. I got into Arena in later years, they're like a more Prog version of Magnum. Some good stuff but I grew tired of them too.

You didn't grow tired of licking your own arsehole though I bet...

laugh.gif tongue.gif