New Album To Be Heavier And More Powerful???

presto123

If this is true it's really got me baffled. Heavier than Vapor Trails? If they get any heavier it will be Rush death metal. biggrin.gif And haven't they been going heavy on the last 3 studio albums? How would that be a totally new sound for Rush? I am hoping for alot of melodic moments from this album as well. Heavy is good too as long as it doesn't sound like Vapor Trails. I'm guessing the album may be heavy but in more of a linear way. Not alot of layering, but instead using musicianship to carry the song. Which would make sense that Nick said it had the vibe of an old Rush record. This is pure speculation on my part. And who's to say they are not just putting stuff out there to surprise us all. rofl3.gif

If they combined the heaviness of 2112 and the symphonic nature of Power Windows, that would be awesome beyond words!!! My mind boggles.....

I just love all these people who are drinking buddies with the band spoiling the surprise for us all, even if they did have dinner with Alex and Geddy. And I wonder how much of these kinds of "reports" are accurate.

Look out for bootleg copies of the album anyday now !

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 30 2007, 10:36 PM)
RUSH + OPETH + PORCUPINE TREE + RIVERSIDE = "SNAKES AND ARROWS"

Please take PT out of that equation. I'd prefer not to fall asleep whilst listening to S&A.

And who's Riverside?

Aw Roddy!

No Tree for you?

I put them in there because the Rush dudes dig their sound.

"Riverside" is a Polish Prog band that is awesome.

Mellow like PT and Pink Floyd but then they have flashes of Opeth.

They are an excellent band!

Check them out!

I am sure they will not put you to sleep!! Atmospheric keyboards behind melodic heavy guitars.

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 30 2007, 11:11 PM)
Aw Roddy!

No Tree for you?

Check them out!

I am sure they will not put you to sleep!! Atmospheric keyboards behind melodic heavy guitars.

Earl

Na, no Tree for me. On what I've heard so far....

But will look into Riverside, thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

Had a good listen to a few tunes on Myspace. Like the Tree, it's excellent music....atmospheric, great players and production. But, like the Tree, it goes plodplodplodplodPLODPLODplod plod......

if ya know what I mean.

I like progressive music that goes BOOMBAMWACKsoftlysoftlyWAMBLAMWOW!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry, childish I know)

But I'm still gunna give both more airtime.......

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 30 2007, 11:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 30 2007, 11:11 PM)
Aw Roddy!

No Tree for you?

Check them out!

I am sure they will not put you to sleep!!  Atmospheric keyboards behind melodic heavy guitars.

Earl

Na, no Tree for me. On what I've heard so far....

But will look into Riverside, thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

I hate to say this but I bought their latest album Second Life Syndrome last year and I thought it was teeth-grittingly hideous I'm afraid. I tried to like it but it scarred me aurally. I had to bury it under sacred soil with cloves of garlic and a silver cross on top to stop the nightmares. I even posted a thread about it in MOS, here it is for further explanation...sorry Earl...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...77&hl=riverside

So for me I'd remove Riverside from that equation but happily leave PT and Opeth in, but then we know that the new album won't sound like either of those bands or anyone else it'll just sound like Rush...

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 30 2007, 09:52 PM)
Had a good listen to a few tunes on Myspace. Like the Tree, it's excellent music....atmospheric, great players and production. But, like the Tree, it goes plodplodplodplodPLODPLODplod plod......

if ya know what I mean.

(sorry, childish I know)

Marillion fan?

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 30 2007, 06:37 AM)
If they combined the heaviness of 2112 and the symphonic nature of Power Windows, that would be awesome beyond words!!! My mind boggles.....

yes.gif that would be awesome!

Well, on a previous post Nick Raskulinecz compared it to spheres , perm waves the RUSH stuff he grew up on. So who knows? confused13.gif

But I find it unlikely probably somewhere in between.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jan 31 2007, 02:01 AM)
QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 30 2007, 09:52 PM)

if ya know what I mean.

(sorry, childish I know)

Marillion fan?

No, why?

QUOTE (softfilter @ Jan 31 2007, 03:08 AM)
Well, on a previous post Nick Raskulinecz compared it to spheres , perm waves the RUSH stuff he grew up on. So who knows? confused13.gif
But I find it unlikely probably somewhere in between.

I think, as the producer, Nick meant it was like those albums in terms of the way it was produced and the enthusiasm and energy of the band rather than musical content. It certainly won't be like Hemispheres, here's Neil on this subject during the Portnoy interview:

Neil P: "Fair enough, but no. Essentially, with a lot of that stuff, once you've done it, you don't really feel like you want to revisit it. Even at the time we knew that. Like when we finished Hemispheres, I remember having a conversation saying, "We're never doing this again, never going to work on that scope again". I love a lot of that stuff and we love playing it so it's not any kind of rejection of it, but it's something that we grew through and, as a drummer or as young musicians, you go through stuff, you learn to do a long piece in seven, and it's fantastic, but once it's done, do we want to do another long piece in seven? No, we've done that. So it becomes a constant exploration of what you really like and what makes you hungry now. Even when I got immersed in different things - African drum solos or whatever - I would want to incorporate that into my playing, but it's kind of an education too.

"In the beginning it was all about playing, all we were interested in was playing and technique and experimenting with really unorthodox arrangements. Those were really natural things for us to do, thee was no plan, it's just what got us excited. Later we got more interested in arranging in a focused way, and the song, or course. For anyone who's involved in songwriting as opposed to playing, it becomes a lifelong commitment. How to express things better, how to present them better, how to communicate the idea. I was having a conversation with a musician friend of mine about the idea of being commercial, and I said that was kind of a dirty word, but how about 'accessible'? If you are trying to communicate something, make it accessible so that people get what you're trying to say. I go through the same thing with prose writing. It's up to me to make it clear. I learned something from a book called The Elements of Style, what does the reader need to know? If I'm writing a song about frustration, how can I make the words convey that most efficiently? Imagery and metaphor all become tools for that. So to get back to your question, we still play and love the long instrumental stuff, but because it's part of our repertoire, there's no need to do it again."

QUOTE (Roddy @ Jan 30 2007, 08:52 PM)

if ya know what I mean.

(sorry, childish I know)

No dude, not childish!

I get it man.

Dynamic prog is your cup of tea.

I love it all.

Marillion Rules too!

Hey Roddy, go get "Misplaced Childhood." wink.gif

Archived