Power Windows or Hold Your Fire

EmotionDetector

Which Album do you like better?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which Album do you like better?

• POWER WINDOWS
    • HOLD YOUR FIRE

Hold Your Fire hands-down. Power Windows has never grabbed me (aside from "Mystic Rhythms", which is oddly one of my favorite Rush songs despite the fact that it hails from one of my least liked Rush albums).

QUOTE (Nickslikk2112 @ Jan 29 2007, 02:58 PM)

NO contest, as HYF is dire, it sucks massive quantities of Buffalo's bits.

Not sure how you can say that.

They are almost identical sounding records in the respect that they both are written with the same feel.

To me they sound like the same record. Perfect writting, perfect production, perfect performance!

I guess I should have said, "How can you not like one but love the other". They sound the same.

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 30 2007, 03:18 AM)
They are almost identical sounding records in the respect that they both are written with the same feel.
To me they sound like the same record. Perfect writting, perfect production, perfect performance!

I guess I should have said, "How can you not like one but love the other". They sound the same.

Becuase one has great songs on it (Power Windows) and the other doesn't (Hold Your Fire). Yes, the sound quality on both is excellent, but the songwriting on HYF is the weakest of any Rush Release except for the debut album and Roll the Bones.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:20 AM)

Becuase one has great songs on it (Power Windows) and the other doesn't (Hold Your Fire). Yes, the sound quality on both is excellent, but the songwriting on HYF is the weakest of any Rush Release except for the debut album and Roll the Bones.

Your opinion of course.

If you don't think that Time Stand Still is a well written song, there is something wrong with you. wink.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 29 2007, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 29 2007, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 29 2007, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Jan 29 2007, 01:29 PM)
it's a hard choice, i can't choose! no.gif

But you must! angry.gif

ohmy.gif

ok then....

i'm going whit PoW yes.gif

Power Windows?! I'll show you power! bd.gif

laugh.gif

bumper.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jan 29 2007, 12:04 PM)

It's a hard choice but I would choose Pw because one of my favorite songs Mystic Rhythms is on there.

goodpost.gif Let me go ahead and just say that you have said it all for me also!

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 30 2007, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:20 AM)

Your opinion of course.

If you don't think that Time Stand Still is a well written song, there is something wrong with you. wink.gif

I love Time Stand Still, Second Nature and Open Secrets.

One way to look at it is this: Hold Your Fire is the one for steller bass performances and Power windows is more of a guitar showcase by comparison.

Overall though, I like them both, but if i had to choose I think Power Windows edges it for me...

I'd have to say if I had to pick between the two, it would be PW. HYF is good, but I think PW has more depth than HYF. Just my humble opinion. Nothing like the 70's stuff, which is my personal favorite. Can't wait to see where "Snakes and Arrows" (if that's what they end up calling it) fits in with the grand scheme of things. All the reports and rumors are very promising, but heck, it's another RUSH album, so who can complain (unless the production is as poor as VT which sounds like won't be).

2.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Jan 29 2007, 04:04 PM)

It's a hard choice but I would choose Pw because one of my favorite songs Mystic Rhythms is on there.

I love that song too, but I'm not sure which one I like more. I've been listening to HYF a lot lately, but it doesn't quite seem to be as good as thought it was.

Both are wonderful albums... both with a lot of wonderful songs... but I have to choose Hold Your Fire.

Part of the reason is intensely personal. HYF arrived during my final year of junior high school, at a real low point in my life... and the words and music inspired a sense of wonder in me, and gave me a new sense of purpose. Heck, it may have even saved my life. Every track is a strong one, the music is beautiful and varied, and the lyrics still touch me deeply.

The interior artwork, with that dreamlike cityscape, also fascinated (and still fascinates) me.

I have a tradition that continues to this day- whenever I am driving at night, on a long-ish journey (say, between Chicago and Detroit or vice-versa), I pop in HYF and listen to it all the way through. I emerge with the same sense of energy and inner peace that I got the first time I listened to the album.

I know that many Rush fans are down on the 80s Rush and the reliance on synths, but I think they really did something special with this recording. It is still my favorite.

Archived