What are some MUST-SEE movies?

rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 09:48 AM)
Wings of Desire (1987)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/wings_of_desire.jpg

Ok, this is not for everyone, and I'll explain why.

This movie won the Cannes Film Festival in 1987, and it's the movie that City of Angles (Meg Ryan, Nicolas Cage) was based on, only City of Angels wasn't 1/10th of what the original was IMHO. They butchered it and completely changed the ending. It's ok, but it doesn't have the style the original had. Wings of Desire was art, pure and simple.

Ok, this movie is about angels on the earth watching over people, and it takes place in Berlin, Germany. It's definitely not for everyone. It's mostly in black and white (some is in color), it's very slow paced, it's ponderous, it's very heavy on dialogue, it's mostly in German (though some parts are in French and some are in English), so that's gonna turn off some people from the get-go. If, however, you can handle these aspects, you're in for one of the deepest, most intense and most beautiful movies you're ever likely to see.

I have to really be in the mood to see this movie and sike myself up for it because it's an EXPERIENCE.

i love city of angels too...... yes.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (Ru5h F@n @ Dec 9 2006, 08:45 AM)
Wow don't get me started in this area. I could be all day here. unsure.gif

Go for it, dude. yes.gif

BTW, I didn't intend for people to keep posting pictures of the movie posters like I did in the initial post, but it is kinda cool. cool.gif

No I wouldn't post pictures but I could write a book on all the movies I could recommend. I mean that seriously. I've seen so many movies in my life. A lot of unforgettable in their own way. I just wouldn't know where to start though. unsure.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 9 2006, 09:46 AM)
Wings of Desire (1987)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/wings_of_desire.jpg

This movie won the Cannes Film Festival in 1987, and it's the movie that City of Angles (Meg Ryan, Nicolas Cage) was based on, only City of Angels wasn't 1/10th of what the original was IMHO.  They butchered it and completely changed the ending.  It's ok, but it doesn't have the style the original had.  Wings of Desire was art, pure and simple.

Ok, this movie is about angels on the earth watching over people, and it takes place in Berlin, Germany.  It's definitely not for everyone.  It's mostly in black and white (some is in color), it's very slow paced, it's ponderous, it's very heavy on dialogue, it's mostly in German (though some parts are in French and some are in English), so that's gonna turn off some people from the get-go.  If, however, you can handle these aspects, you're in for one of the deepest, most intense and most beautiful movies you're ever likely to see.

I have to really be in the mood to see this movie and sike myself up for it because it's an EXPERIENCE.

Have you seen Wings of Desire? City of Angels sucks when compared to it. The original was FAR better. yes.gif

To quote Roger Ebert (from his review of City of Angels), "To compare the two films is really beside the point, since "Wings of Desire'' exists on its own level as a visionary and original film, and "City of Angels'' exists squarely in the pop mainstream. "

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 01:57 PM)
Wings of Desire (1987)

This movie won the Cannes Film Festival in 1987, and it's the movie that City of Angles (Meg Ryan, Nicolas Cage) was based on, only City of Angels wasn't 1/10th of what the original was IMHO.  They butchered it and completely changed the ending.  It's ok, but it doesn't have the style the original had.  Wings of Desire was art, pure and simple.

Ok, this movie is about angels on the earth watching over people, and it takes place in Berlin, Germany.  It's definitely not for everyone.  It's mostly in black and white (some is in color), it's very slow paced, it's ponderous, it's very heavy on dialogue, it's mostly in German (though some parts are in French and some are in English), so that's gonna turn off some people from the get-go.  If, however, you can handle these aspects, you're in for one of the deepest, most intense and most beautiful movies you're ever likely to see.

Have you seen Wings of Desire? City of Angels sucks when compared to it. The original was FAR better. yes.gif

To quote Roger Ebert (from his review of City of Angels), "To compare the two films is really beside the point, since "Wings of Desire'' exists on its own level as a visionary and original film, and "City of Angels'' exists squarely in the pop mainstream. "

Soooo.... if you like City of Angels, you fall into the pop, brain dead culture of the masses? But if you like the other one, the creative masterpiece that most of us peons would be bored to tears viewing... then you're an elitist movie critic? I'm confused. confused13.gif

Kinda funny cuz if you fall into the pop, brain dead culture of the masses with STAR WARS... then i guess you wouldn't like the ORIGINAL Japanese movie that Lucas ripped the whole thing off of, would you?

Am I at least getting my point across to you.

*coughelitistsnobcough*

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 9 2006, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 9 2006, 01:57 PM)
Wings of Desire (1987)

Soooo.... if you like City of Angels, you fall into the pop, brain dead culture of the masses? But if you like the other one, the creative masterpiece that most of us peons would be bored to tears viewing... then you're an elitist movie critic? I'm confused. confused13.gif

Kinda funny cuz if you fall into the pop, brain dead culture of the masses with STAR WARS... then i guess you wouldn't like the ORIGINAL Japanese movie that Lucas ripped the whole thing off of, would you?

Am I at least getting my point across to you.

*coughelitistsnobcough*

laugh.gif

I can't imagine many people were watching Star Wars and thinking what a rip-off it was from obsucre Japenese feudal movies.

No, at 8 years old, I was watching huge spaceships fly across the screen and watching light saber battles and the force and a battle against good and evil and it was the coolest thing I ever saw in my life.

So, I like the original movie a hell of a lot more than the remake that was City of Angels? So what? I didn't say City of Angels was awful, just nowhere near as good as the original it was based on. Had I not seen the masterpiece that was the original, I might feel differently.

I can only assume that you have no plans to rent Wings of Desire, but if you do, I'll be happy to talk about the subject more in-depth at that time. tongue.gif

Well I'm not an elitist snob, but I do like high quality movies. Sorry, but I just don't see that anymore. The movies now remind me of B-Movies or Independent Horror Films. They're so quickly put together and cheaply marketed.

Anyways back to the subject at hand here, one movie which reminded me of the internet was "The Net" with Sandra Bullock. That was a scary movie. I still get scared even now when I watch it and I've seen that movie about 125 times. The acting was well done and the storyline was well written too. :unsure

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 9 2006, 10:14 AM)
Shawshank Redemption. 1 of the only (if not THE only) movie that is flawless. A well-paced story that keeps you involved. Superb acting by Robbins & Freeman. 1 of the easiest movie villains (the warden) to hate. I must've seen this flick at least 20 times.

I have had this on dvd for two years and still haven't opened it.

Maybe I should?

Well since this thread is titled "MUST-SEE movies", I think I'll give THAT a try.

Must see: The Godfather (parts 1 and 2). Two perfectly crafted and paced stories. Never rushed but never dull. Great acting and great script in both stories. I know these movies have already been praised by everybody from here to the the ends of the earth and beyond, but I thought I'd mention it again if only to get the thread back on topic tongue.gif

This suggestion shouldn't suprise anyone, but...

http://www.a-film.nl/film/poster/RELx550/00000143.jpg

It combines every element of film I love- suspense, dark comedy, science-fiction, straight up science, intense character development, and drama. You become Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal's character) while watching this movie. All of my movies that make my top-10 are movies that you need to watch multiple times to catch everything. Donnie Darko is no exeption. Definitely a must-see.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/necroTRF/saving_private_ryan_ver2.jpg

saw it for the umpteenth time tonight. It was CeeJ's first time viewing it. THIS is a Spielberg movie that I can really get into. It was so amazing. It blows my mind that my Dad was actually THERE. Makes me so proud. yes.gif

Edited by Necromancer

QUOTE (Batman @ Dec 10 2006, 08:37 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 9 2006, 10:14 AM)
Shawshank Redemption.  1 of the only (if not THE only) movie that is flawless.  A well-paced story that keeps you involved.  Superb acting by Robbins & Freeman.  1 of the easiest movie villains (the warden) to hate.  I must've seen this flick at least 20 times.

I have had this on dvd for two years and still haven't opened it.

Maybe I should?

Once you open it and watch it you'll be saying to yourself, "I can't believe I let this masterpiece sit unopened for so long"

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 9 2006, 07:39 PM)

saw it for the umpteenth time tonight. It was CeeJ's first time viewing it. THIS is a Spielberg movie that I can really get into. It was so amazing. It blows my mind that my Dad was actually THERE. Makes me so proud. yes.gif

this was a great movie, no doubt about it, but once was enough for me. i really don't need to see that much violence over and over. as far as message movies for wars go, i prefer schindler's list to this, but i don't plan on watching that one ever again either. incredibly well done, but the material is way too harsh for repeated viewings, for me anyway. i generally avoid war movies unless they get stupedndous reviews, and even then not always, and always with great trepidation.

http://cinemaniaque.canalblog.com/images/Pulp_20Fiction.jpg

One of my all time favorite films. this one immediately become one of my favorites after the very first time i saw it not even quite a year ago.

this is one of those movies that is about as close to perfect as you can possibly get.

it's long, so you get plenty of awesomeness, but it doesn't ever feel like it drags on. in fact, i was surprised when it was over cuz it hadn't felt like i sat through 2 and a half hours of movie yet.

it's funny, but it's dramatic as well. this movie has so many quotable lines, the ones that don't even make you laugh you still think are funny later on when you think back on them, and there are a few moments in this movie that are just hilarious. but at the same time, it has some very intense and dramatic scenes, and for some people the word "very" is an understatement. one particular shot i'll bet a lot of you who have seen it are still trying to erase from your memory, and those who haven't will know what i mean when they do see it.

This movie is very dialogue driven, but also has some action. while it certainly wouldn't be considered an "action movie", it certainly has a fair share of cool deaths and such, and they're spaced just right so as the get the pace going again just before you start the think the movie is slow. but instead of focusing ENTIRELY on that action, the movie features several drawn-out yet brilliant dialogues that really carry the movie through. It's true to life. the dialogues of the movie are not always entirely about the central story, just as in real life you're not ALWAYS going to be talking about whatever may be the central conflict at the time, but while the dialogues sometimes don't move along the storyline, they serve to truly develop the characters. you don't just watch the characters in this movie, you fall in love with them.

the acting in this movie is just excellent. i'm not even going to go into detail because it's enough to just simply say that EVERY actor in this movie did an amazing job, no exceptions.

and to bring it all together, this movie has a meaning. it's not just senseless violence and funny dialogue, like some people who aren't too keen on quentin tarantino may try to tell you. this movie has a true message. despite it's very R-ratedness, it seems deeply based in religion. that may seem fairly obvious with the Jules character, but it has some deeper meaning added to that that you might not notice right away.

Pulp Fiction at its deepest roots is a film about salvation and redemption, and it is without a doubt a must-see for those who think they can handle it.

Edited by Freedom_Fighter

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Dec 9 2006, 10:39 PM)

yup i agree necro...

this is a must see...

also, pearl harbor!!!

back with a couple more i thought of last night....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/lifeisbeautiful.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/shindlerslsit.jpg

these two movies....are a must see and a must have in my video library....

both tell stories of the holocaust...and the reason i added these is we can never forget about the 12million people who perished during this time....

and to remember how lucky we really are....and good we really got it in this life....

i recently went to the Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington, Mi (you can see the website HERE ) as a school field trip chaperone.... it was one of the most moving, emotion and informational field trips i have ever been on.... we toured the museum, learned alot of things i never new about jewish people, their customs and traditions, and about the holocaust.....after we toured the museum, we had the opportunity to hear from an actual survivor.... her story of survival amazed me, and made me cry..... and gave me a new appreciation for MY life.....

and that's my reason as to why i feel these are must see movies.....

something else in our history we must never forget

Ah, Woody Allen!

Some people love his "early funny ones", which I do too, and while Take the Money and Run, Play It Again Sam, Bananas and Sleeper are classics, my favorite of the bunch is:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/lovedeath.jpg

This is a perfectly ridiculous movie about the Russian Revolution that is played strictly for laughs and is absolutely hilarious. Very intelligent comedy.

The culmination of his early, funny movies was of course the masterful:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/anniehall.jpg

This, unlike his earlier films, was not a pure comedy in that it also included tortured romance and some drama as well, but that being said, it's an absolutely hilarious movie with Woody Allen pulling out all the directorial stops, including stopping the action to talk to directly to the camera, using subtitles to show what people are thinking, even an animated scene. The movie really is pure brilliance IMHO.

It's hard for me to tell whether I prefer Annie Hall or:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/manhat.jpg

Manhattan is more serious, while still having a lot of comedic aspects. It's shot in black and white and is really a fantastic story about love, the pursuit of happiness and his love for New York City.

A few years later, Woody Allen made:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/hannah.jpg

Ah, the Mia Farrow years. tongue.gif Hannah and her sisters had an amazing cast, incredible performances and several great intersecting storylines. It also featured something really new for Woody - a very optimistic, happy ending! This was easily his best film of the 80's.

Finally, without Woody Allen, we would have no:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/rushgoober3/rushgoober4/when.jpg

Without seeing Annie Hall, Manhattan and some other Woody Allen classics, it's hard to understand just how dramatically and completely Nora Ephron and Rob Reiner ripped of Woody Allen in When Harry Met Sally. However, it's done SOOOO well, that I never seemed to mind.

Woody Allen aside, this is really as good as it gets in the romantic comedy arena, and I haven't seen a better film in that genre since.

Edited by rushgoober

http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/-/Akira-Movie-Poster-C10086478.jpeg

Kaneda is a bike gang leader whose close friend Tetsuo gets involved in a government secret project known as Akira. On his way to save Tetsuo, Kaneda runs into a group of anti-government activists, greedy politicians, irresponsible scientists and a powerful military leader. The confrontation sparks off Tetsuo's supernatural power leading to bloody death, a coup attempt and the final battle in Tokyo Olympiad where Akira's secrets were buried 30 years ago.

This is THE Anime movie to watch, definately more for the teen/adult crowd.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9c/Brazil_11.jpg/200px-Brazil_11.jpg http://www.albany.edu/writers-inst/graphics/7samurai2.jpg http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~msitti/movie/do_the_right_thing.jpg http://img.tesco.com/pi/entertainment/DVD/LF/561608_DV_L_F.jpg

Sorry I didn't explain why, I'm just lazy right now.

Edited by Storm Shadow

http://www.filmweb.no/bilder/multimedia/archive/00022/The_Good__the_Bad_an_22223m.jpg

http://www.insultsunpunished.com/images/Raging%20Bull%20Wallpaper.jpg

http://www.impawards.com/1976/posters/taxi_driver_ver1.jpg

http://www.space-debris.com/spy_eastwood_dirtyHarry_LG.jpg

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/steve.jpg

http://www.pathguy.com/lectures/luke04a.jpg

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Planet-of-the-Apes-Photograph-C11797467.jpeg

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_01_img0129.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Paulsheldon.jpg

http://www.kiefer-rocks.com/photos/large_moviestills/standbyme/kiefer-12.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_omen_560.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/53/152511903_ff93ea14eb_o.jpg

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Thriller/ShiningMurder.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/ngf68i.jpg

http://images.contactmusic.com/images/reviews2/themagnificentseven.jpg

http://st85.startlogic.com/~myauctio/deliverance5.jpg

http://videodetective.com/photos/356/014959_16.jpg

http://www.tatteredcoat.com/images/heat-pacino-buggy.jpg

http://home.sprintmail.com/~sknolle/mitchum/eldoradojail.jpg

http://www.encore.at/cavell/north%20by%20northwest/plane.jpg

http://www.filminamerica.com/Movies/Vertigo/vertigo23.jpg

http://www.v6stang.com/bullitt/burninrubber4.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/yoille/yoille/jodie%20foster/photo-jf/silence/silence/silence1.jpg

http://www.filmreference.com/images/sjff_03_img1190.jpg

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/DVD%20ART/marathon_man6.jpg

http://www.cinema.com/image_lib/4437_001.jpg

http://www.videovista.net/reviews/nov03/soygreen3.jpg

Edited by treeduck

The Pianist has probably been mentioned already.

nope...don't think it has been, and you know what? that was one of the movies i was going to add to my list of holocaust type movies ...Thanks for mentioning it

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Paulsheldon.jpg

..." Can you Paulie? Can you???"...

love Misery!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but...treeduck, you didn't say WHY.....

the thread says you hafta....