Magma

Larks

i'm really into the awesome band Magma now..

anybody else know of them?

they are the leaders of the Zeuhl style of music.. sub genre of prog.

it's difficult to describe their style- free jazz,opera on steroids,crazy symphonic prog..

all my friends that gave this band a listen said "Damn this band sounds like nazi circus on LSD" laugh.gif

if you got the balls to listen to this great band, download the album M.D.K

Heres a clip from a great show- cool10.gif

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wvSog1sGM2g

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B0006PV5PS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

that album is the only one of theirs I have on cd, though I have several of their albums on cassette.

yeah, magma are pretty extreme - french prog with over the top music and operatic vocals, but, and this is the kicker, sung in a totally made-up language!

their albums vary tremendously in terms of how accessible they are, but it really is some amazing stuff for people who have a high tolerance for some really off the wall music. yes.gif

They are insane live! write "MAGMA MDK" on youtube and see for yourself... the singer is yelling and running all over, the drummer is on a really strong trip and the opera singers are just amazing..

QUOTE (Larks @ Nov 19 2006, 04:32 PM)
They are insane live! write "MAGMA MDK" on youtube and see for yourself... the singer is yelling and running all over, the drummer is on a really strong trip and the opera singers are just amazing..

I forget to mention I did check out all the youtube videos on the page that you provided a link to. Thanks 1022.gif

The only downside of them is the low-quality... but they are really rare.

this drummer christian vander is amazing. he created the whole "kobaia" language and world and when you listen to the MDK album you enter his brain....

QUOTE (Rush! @ Nov 20 2006, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:21 PM)
Didn't the drummer write a complete new language and they used that in there lyrics?

Yep, the drummer created a new language known as "Zeuhl" as Larks described above.

Actually, I think Zeuhl is the style of music and the language is called Kobaia.

I think... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 21 2006, 02:10 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Nov 20 2006, 05:44 PM)
QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Nov 20 2006, 08:21 PM)
Didn't the drummer write a complete new language and they used that in there lyrics?

Yep, the drummer created a new language known as "Zeuhl" as Larks described above.

Actually, I think Zeuhl is the style of music and the language is called Kobaia.

I think... unsure.gif

Yes Goob you're right, I just checked ProgArchives. smile.gif

This festival is held in Pennsylvania every summer.

MAGMA to headline NEARfest 2007

We are thrilled to announce the return of the legendary French ensemble MAGMA as the Sunday headliner for NEARfest 2007. Remaining a vital musical force for over 35 years with their unique brand of symphonic operatic fusion, Magma continues to deliver emotional and powerful concerts around the world. Over the past couple of years they have been performing and recording Ementeht-Re, a new opus in the finest Kobaian tradition. As always centered on the visionary composer and drummer Christian Vander, the newly expanded 9-piece Magma lineup features six vocalists and a vibraphonist/ pianist. Be sure not to miss this stirring MAGMA concert in the intimate confines of Zoellner Arts Center at NEARfest 2007!

The completed lineup for NEARfest 2007 (June 23rd & 24th) is:

Magma (France)

Hawkwind (England)

Pure Reason Revolution (England)

Magenta (Wales)

Robert Rich (US)

Bob Drake (France)

La Maschera di Cera (Italy)

NeBeLNeST (France)

Induki (Poland)

IZZ (US) http://www.ytsejam.com/modules.php?name=Ne...rticle&sid=4926

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 31 2012, 04:59 AM)
bumper.gif

Listening to Mekanik Destruktiv Commandoh at the moment.

Yes, it's still insane.

I used to deliberate playing something off that album off my radio show, but never had the guts to. I figured I'd lose 3/4 of my listening audience if I did that!

I did play Magma occasionally though, just not from that album. I played the 18 minute De Futura from Udu Wudu, which while still a bit out there, is a lot more accessible.