Best IPA?

Guest NoDeity

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 21 2007, 01:12 PM)
I got some Sierra Nevada IPA today. I don't recall ever seeing this before.

It's only the 2nd year that they have made it. And it's seasonal.. So it will be gone by sometime in the spring.

it's good (daveyt) but not near as good as their Celebration Ale (winter seasonal).

QUOTE (Midway Hawker @ Mar 22 2007, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 21 2007, 01:12 PM)
I got some Sierra Nevada IPA today. I don't recall ever seeing this before.

It's only the 2nd year that they have made it. And it's seasonal.. So it will be gone by sometime in the spring.

it's good (daveyt) but not near as good as their Celebration Ale (winter seasonal).

whoops i had the pale ale, haven't had the IPA. will try. really want to try that winter seasonal. i think my new drink is the tres pestoles from canadA

good stuff

http://www.ballastpoint.com/beer_logos/bigeye.jpg

msubulldog25 ( Portland (2 Blocks From CAH), Oregon )

overall: 4.05

appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4

A: Clear amber/red with a thin 1/2 finger of eggshell-colored creamy head. Medium carbonation and attractive sticky lace.

S: Caramel malt and sugar, strong and sweet, blended with juicy citrus hops. At one point I noted an odd over-the-top confectioner's sugar smell that I'd say resembled chalky PEZ candy.

T: Bracingly sharp citrus bitterness, grapefruit and orange peel mostly, and an herbal/medicinal dry finish. Hop forward with a backing of grainy toasted bread.

M: Enticing syrupy thick mouthfeel, notable for a relative light gravity IPA. Bitterness clings hard and fast to the back of the tongue and cheeks - salivation inducing. Carbonation is not very noticeable. Sticky sweet residue on the lips.

D: Nice IPA with ample body and good flavor/smell. Wouldn't mind having this again - recommended.

[Review from notes] Poured from a 22 oz. bottle to a tumbler in January 2007. Received from flexabull - thank you, Paul.

[ serving type: bottle ]

--

Edited by daveyt

Got a 6 of Pyramid Thunderhead IPA today - It is excellent.

Per Pyramid:

Pyramid India Pale Ale has the distinctively hoppy flavor and aroma craft beer enthusiasts demand. Abundant helpings of Columbus hops gives this ale an astonishing 67 IBU's - truly a beer for bold tastes! The distinguished Celebrator Beer News aptly named this brew "hophead nectar" (June/July issue, 1998).

Original Gravity: 16.7

Alcohol By Volume: 6.70%

Malts: 2-Row Barley, Munich, Caramel, Carapils

Hops: Tomahawk

Availability: Year Round

Best Paired With: Fish, BBQ and all things hot n' spicy

Last week on vacation in Breckenridge CO. I enjoyed a six pack of stone IPA and the dog head fish 60 minute IPA. I also managed a 4 pack of the 90 minute imperial. At the local brew pub ( Breckenridge Brewery ) they were serving their 471 IPA which rang in at 9.0%. All of the above were excellent!

Thanks to all who recommended the stone and the dog head fish!

^^^^

Make that Dogfish Head!

Well, I am happy to report/swill that Dogfish Head is in full effect here in my hometown! Enjoying some more 60 minute right now.

Tommorrow I try the Ancient Ale and their Raisin Beer.

What an education.

trink39.gif guys

I never knew that you had such a range of ales in the usa. up to now I thought it was soley beer - lager - how popular is ale there, I mean is it a cult thing or quite widespread? ?

I am now very keen to get my laughing gear round a few of these.

I too love ale. One of my favourites being bishops finger - kentish ale, u.k' s oldest brewery 1640 something. Its a strong ale fruity too. Another favourite is abbotts ale - marvelous on draught.

Green king and Bombadier also go down well.

Great post guys and l look forward to more info and opinions on Ale there.

i love abbot's as well. whereas the english ales i've tried are creamy with nice head, the california ales are complex and are for serious drinkers. imo the california beers ae the best and if you like stouts you will flip out over some of the ones i've been drinking.

i'll send you some if you care to visit my paypal account yes.gif

trink38.gif

Is california a major player when it come to ales in the U.S.A?

I imagine with the climate there you are able to control a wide range of hops for a wide range of flavoured ales, is this the case?

I'll keep your offer in mind daveyt trink38.gif

What's your favourite ale there then, you have mentioned a few - ballast point, fish head?

trink39.gif

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ May 20 2007, 12:40 AM)

I imagine with the climate there you are able to control a wide range of hops for a wide range of flavoured ales, is this the case?

What's your favourite ale there then, you have mentioned a few - ballast point, fish head?

trink39.gif

yes

yes

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

ballast point is ok but the stone ales are better. i love the stone imperial stout and the port brewing co's vicosity ale...for the darker ones. there are some nice barleywine style ales that pack a wallup too.

check out victory ales, too from pennsylvania. very bubbly in the belgian style.

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 19 2007, 08:50 PM)
i love abbot's as well. whereas the english ales i've tried are creamy with nice head, the california ales are complex and are for serious drinkers. imo the california beers ae the best and if you like stouts you will flip out over some of the ones i've been drinking.

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 20 2007, 12:10 PM)

trink39.gif

yes

yes

ballast point is ok but the stone ales are better. i love the stone imperial stout and the port brewing co's vicosity ale...for the darker ones. there are some nice barleywine style ales that pack a wallup too.

check out victory ales, too from pennsylvania. very bubbly in the belgian style.

I agree with davey on all that. Except for Theakston and Samuel Smith, the English ales I've tried tended to be flat and lacking in character. Not bad, but kinda blah.

Stone's and Victory's products up and down the line are consistently great. California and Oregon are full of craft breweries producing quality beers.

Such a contrast in American beers right now: IMO American craft breweries are making the best beers in the world right now, while their macros (Budweiser, et al) are making the world's worst.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 21 2007, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ May 19 2007, 08:50 PM)

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 20 2007, 12:10 PM)

trink39.gif

yes

yes

I agree with davey on all that. Except for Theakston and Samuel Smith, the English ales I've tried tended to be flat and lacking in character. Not bad, but kinda blah.

Stone's and Victory's products up and down the line are consistently great. California and Oregon are full of craft breweries producing quality beers.

Such a contrast in American beers right now: IMO American craft breweries are making the best beers in the world right now, while their macros (Budweiser, et al) are making the world's worst.

Just out of interest what english ales have you tried?

There are english ales that are full of character and body. Kentish ales for instance specialize in ales that are very very strong - knock ya socks off mate, but these tend to be very limited in availability, and not too widespread, throughout pubs in the u.k. Its impossible to get 'Bishops finger' in a pub in the u.k. though this ale has won awards in northern europe.

I am learning about your ales and beers there, and its great! nothing beats the true education of experience though trink39.gif Love to try some ales there.

Didn't budweiser(usa) copy a czech budvar lager? I only say that because I am now working in the czech rep. Good lagers here, too gasy though and not enough body unlike my beloved ales.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 21 2007, 02:18 AM)

I agree with davey on all that. Except for Theakston and Samuel Smith, the  English ales I've tried tended to be flat and lacking in character. Not bad, but kinda blah.

You may of found the english ale, to be flat because, real ale(real ale is a term as there are many types of ales, not to imply any other ale is not real) benefits from a natural carbonation (mixing the natural sugars in the beer with yeast creates carbon dioxide). Pretty much all US beers are artificially injected with carbon dioxide, while this process also gained popularity in England for a while. While the end result may not be something as fizzy and gassy as a pint of American pale ale, the carbonation is there, albeit to a lesser extent.

Ales in the uk are cask conditioned ales, getting a continuous or second fermentation up to the point of serving mmmm fresh - an ale from a bottle is unthinkable. Cooled at cellar temperature, which may be warm to some.

It is really is an art to serve ales, and I only trust and go to certain pubs for the good stuff. trink39.gif

The Samuel smith ales are not considered as real ales.

Do the bars there serve cask conditioned ales?

Are ale festivals common there? I saw one advertised for chicago illinois, this may be the ideal set up for an american ale introduction.

trink39.gif

Edited by condemned2bfree

I got a 6 of Victory Hop Devil IPA and a 6 of Pyramid Thunderhead yesterday.

I had never tried any Victory Products before but I have had the Thunderhead before. While both are good, they are not as good as Dogfish Head, Stone or Bridgeport.

I would love to come back to California to try you beers but right now Deuchars IPA brewed here in Edinburgh is very hard to beat,

QUOTE (R30Chris @ Jul 27 2007, 07:56 AM)
Hoppiest beer I have tried might very well be the Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale

that one has been hit or miss for me yes.gif must be cold cold cold!

i like PORT BREW WIPE OUT IPA, too!