Any Buckethead fans in here?

treeduck

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2007, 02:16 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 9 2007, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 9 2007, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 9 2007, 12:11 PM)
Just received my copy of Peppers Ghost.

It can be reviewed with one word - wow!

the man is a genius.

Yeah it's a great one, I didn't do a review when you asked Tangy because I needed more time to absorb it...

trink38.gif

I just finished my 4th listen today. My musical world has been turned upside down since "discovering" Buckethead. Since the late 1980's I thought no one was better than Steve Vai.......

Well I always had Holdsworth way above Steve, let's face it even Steve has Holdworth way above Steve...

There's lots of great players out there though who are Buckethead's own age, Brett Garsed, Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan, Bumblefoot, Greg Howe, Joel Hoekstra, Paul Gilbert...

I always thought Steve Morse and Eric Johnson measured up well to Vai too...

Thats true there no shortage of great players.

In my book what seperates Buckethead is the staggering amount of quality product he has put out. Granted I don't own it all yet.

Another consideration is his ability to play just about any style of music. Can you name a more diverse player?

Plus he is "funky".

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 10 2007, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2007, 02:16 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 9 2007, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 9 2007, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 9 2007, 12:11 PM)
Just received my copy of Peppers Ghost.

It can be reviewed with one word - wow!

the man is a genius.

Yeah it's a great one, I didn't do a review when you asked Tangy because I needed more time to absorb it...

trink38.gif

I just finished my 4th listen today. My musical world has been turned upside down since "discovering" Buckethead. Since the late 1980's I thought no one was better than Steve Vai.......

Well I always had Holdsworth way above Steve, let's face it even Steve has Holdworth way above Steve...

There's lots of great players out there though who are Buckethead's own age, Brett Garsed, Andy Timmons, Guthrie Govan, Bumblefoot, Greg Howe, Joel Hoekstra, Paul Gilbert...

I always thought Steve Morse and Eric Johnson measured up well to Vai too...

Thats true there no shortage of great players.

In my book what seperates Buckethead is the staggering amount of quality product he has put out. Granted I don't own it all yet.

Another consideration is his ability to play just about any style of music. Can you name a more diverse player?

Plus he is "funky".

Yeah I'm not arguing mate, I agree he's cool and yeah the amount of great stuff he comes out with is amazing, he must be the riffmeister of the decade, but I never like to say one guy is alone up there as the best, even Holdsworth. Allan has a specific style and he'd be not so great at country for example, wheras John 5 (who I forgot to mention above) can play really great country stuff. I should have mentioned Pettrucci in that group too btw and Jeff Kolman...

I just starting getting into Buckethead about six or seven months ago by watching some of his live online stuff. I love the fact that he has so many styles. Also, he's mysterious. Adds to the affect.

I need to start buying some of his CD's. Any suggestions for starters? Nothing too over the top to start with.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 10 2007, 02:14 PM)
I just starting getting into Buckethead about six or seven months ago by watching some of his live online stuff. I love the fact that he has so many styles. Also, he's mysterious. Adds to the affect.

I need to start buying some of his CD's. Any suggestions for starters? Nothing too over the top to start with.

Start with Monsters and Robots and Electric Tears. Monsters and Robots is kind of commericial and is easy to get into and it's one you can pick up fairly easy in a shop. Electric tears is a mellow, soothing kind of album that shows his softer side, but it's still very vital and powerful. This is another you can pick up easily too... For vocal tunes try Enter the Chicken, that's yet another one that's readily available.

I think he is pehenomenol also. I think his bucket & mask gimmick is cheesy, but my gosh, that guy can frickin play.

I saw an interview with Ozzy & he said he wanted Buckethead to play with him. Ozzy said he drove him nuts. They would be alone in a room talking about possibly touring & talking one on one & Oz said he wouldn't shut off the act even when they were alone. Oz said he kept calling him Brian & he got so pissed off at Ozzy & saying, "Don't ever call me Brian, my mother calls me Brian- call be Buckethead". Oz said this guy can play unbelievable but he is out of his head". He said screw it!:rfl: Imagine Oz saying that???!!!! rofl3.gif

I am a big Pat Metheny fan, (jazz virtuoso), & he said he even keeps up with Buckethead. He thinks he is incredible also. You have to admit, his style is like no other. Unique indeed biggrin.gif

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Mar 10 2007, 05:00 PM)
I think he is pehenomenol also. I think his bucket & mask gimmick is cheesy, but my gosh, that guy can frickin play.

I saw an interview with Ozzy & he said he wanted Buckethead to play with him. Ozzy said he drove him nuts. They would be alone in a room talking about possibly touring & talking one on one & Oz said he wouldn't shut off the act even when they were alone. Oz said he kept calling him Brian & he got so pissed off at Ozzy & saying, "Don't ever call me Brian, my mother calls me Brian- call be Buckethead". Oz said this guy can play unbelievable but he is out of his head". He said screw it!:rfl: Imagine Oz saying that???!!!! rofl3.gif

I am a big Pat Metheny fan, (jazz virtuoso), & he said he even keeps up with Buckethead. He thinks he is incredible also. You have to admit, his style is like no other. Unique indeed biggrin.gif

I'm a Pat Metheny freak too...

smile.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 10 2007, 08:59 PM)

I saw an interview with Ozzy & he said he wanted Buckethead to play with him. Ozzy said he drove him nuts. They would be alone in a room talking about possibly touring & talking one on one & Oz said he wouldn't shut off the act even when they were alone.  Oz said he kept calling him Brian & he got so pissed off at Ozzy & saying, "Don't ever call me Brian, my mother calls me Brian- call be Buckethead". Oz said this guy can play unbelievable but he is out of his head".  He said screw it!:rfl:  Imagine Oz saying that???!!!! rofl3.gif

smile.gif

great minds think alike!! yes.gif

Yes, Pat is beyond amazing also biggrin.gif

& with Antonio Sanchez on the drums, geeeesh- Mindblowing!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 15 2007, 04:36 PM)
Tangy says yes!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/DCP_0080.jpg

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/mikemoran/DCP_0082.jpg

Looks good, #291?

trink39.gif

Mine arrived today, but I have to pick it up from Royal Mail Delivery office tomorrow and pay customs charges...

wacko.gif

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Mar 15 2007, 04:45 PM)
I just can't take a guy seriously who wears a bucket of chicken on his head. Just seems kind of rediculous.

I think that's everyone's first thought about him, some people look further than that first thought and some people don't...

wink.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 15 2007, 06:05 PM)
What I've heard so far is wonderful. Listening right now to S #1, which is a funky little jam with a "prince" like tone.

I'm down for naming 4 of these tracks for the Buckethead.tk ISOT song title draft, are you involved with that Tangy?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2007, 06:16 PM)
What I've heard so far is wonderful. Listening right now to S #1, which is a funky little jam with a "prince" like tone.

I'm down for naming 4 of these tracks for the Buckethead.tk ISOT song title draft, are you involved with that Tangy?

No I have been meaning to join the TK board though. Is that the most active buckethead board?

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 15 2007, 06:25 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2007, 06:16 PM)

No I have been meaning to join the TK board though. Is that the most active buckethead board?

Seems to be yeah. The official one has a weird board style where old posts just disappear off the page into cyberspace after a few days, and it's updated only every so often...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 15 2007, 05:48 PM)
I just can't take a guy seriously who wears a bucket of chicken on his head.  Just seems kind of rediculous.

I think that's everyone's first thought about him, some people look further than that first thought and some people don't...

wink.gif

If hes that good he should scrap the gimmicks and just play. The gimmicks are distracting.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Mar 15 2007, 06:50 PM)
I just can't take a guy seriously who wears a bucket of chicken on his head.  Just seems kind of rediculous.

wink.gif

If hes that good he should scrap the gimmicks and just play. The gimmicks are distracting.

Check out some the links to videos I posted on page 2 and see for yourself.

I guess I favor his "gimmicks" and I bet if you saw him live you would too. Like i described earlier in this thread there almost a "carnival" atomosphere at his shows. Its hard to explain but so is everything else about him.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Mar 15 2007, 06:50 PM)

wink.gif

He's had the "gimmick" since around 1990. I think the mask is more to do with stage fright. So he decided to hang something on it. And don't worry about him playing, he plays alright...

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

Well I have progressed to Disc #4- E. I think my copy of Disc #1 skips, either that or its some of the most tripping music I have ever heard. Lots jazzy licks mixed with the ripping. Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow Treeduck!

cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif

I saw an interview with Ozzy & he said he wanted Buckethead to play with him. Ozzy said he drove him nuts. They would be alone in a room talking about possibly touring & talking one on one & Oz said he wouldn't shut off the act even when they were alone.  Oz said he kept calling him Brian & he got so pissed off at Ozzy & saying, "Don't ever call me Brian, my mother calls me Brian- call be Buckethead". Oz said this guy can play unbelievable but he is out of his head".  He said screw it!:rfl:  Imagine Oz saying that???!!!! rofl3.gif

smile.gif

I guess I need some guidance with Pat. I saw him once in the 90's and thought it was a good show. I am not into the Lyle Mays aspect of Pats music if you know what I mean? Whats his best studio disc? I have Still Life ( Talking) which I am not all that crazy about.

I put a link in the Steely Dan thread below where you can get a MP3 of Pat doing a very cool solo as a guest of SD.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 15 2007, 09:03 PM)
Well I have progressed to Disc #4- E. I think my copy of Disc #1 skips, either that or its some of the most tripping music I have ever heard. Lots jazzy licks mixed with the ripping.  Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow Treeduck!

cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif  cool10.gif  1022.gif

Ok I picked mine up today and I got #219. Here's some quick crappy webcam pics...

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/7871/picture009fa3.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7115/picture006sy3.jpg

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5069/picture002ea5.jpg

Not had a chance to listen to any of them yet...

I'm gonna give this a spin first, which I ordered with the set...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5129/delicreepsus2.jpg

QUOTE (tangdog @ Mar 16 2007, 07:52 AM)

smile.gif

I guess I need some guidance with Pat. I saw him once in the 90's and thought it was a good show. I am not into the Lyle Mays aspect of Pats music if you know what I mean? Whats his best studio disc? I have Still Life ( Talking) which I am not all that crazy about.

I put a link in the Steely Dan thread below where you can get a MP3 of Pat doing a very cool solo as a guest of SD.

Well I really like Still Life (talking) myself but here's some I like mate...

http://g-images.amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/10/69/2f1b024128a0df118f298010._AA240_.L.jpg

http://quietfm.com/Blog/Images/Metheny01.jpg

http://www.mybestlife.com/ita_anima/musica_golosi/images/Pat_Metheny_cover.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002NIE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://blog1.musicfield.jp/du_do12/archives/METHENY94.jpg

http://i.israel-music.com/b/97994025.jpg

http://www.preisvergleich.org/pimages/MethenyPat-Group-The-First-Circle_280__80010042282334220_20.jpg

http://images-jp.amazon.com/images/P/B0000031QT.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://takachi.no-ip.com/monthlydisc/03/0307pmt.jpg